Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Hunting and Fishing

Hunting and Fishing Got a good hunting or fishing story? Tell us about it here!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough
Default Kodiak 2011

Gonna go ahead and start this now. Deer season started here August 1st, but I just haven't had any time to go play yet at all. That will be soon changing. Bear season starts in a few days so I did a little scouting today. I was really looking for silvers first, but our run this year has REALLY sucked, so I made the best of another nice day and scoped bears. For the first time I'm going to actually try to get a bear this year. Not really all that interested in the 10 foot or better trophy bear, just something respectable that will actually fit on the wall. Here's one of the two we found today. Good looking dude we found lazing around. Plenty big enough for me and not a bit skittish (obviously!).

One of the same bear later as we got ahead of him and cut him off up river. He was going to cross right here. He looked across and saw us sitting there on the bank right where he wanted to come over and got pissed. He actually stomped and huffed at us before moving upriver another 50 yards to cross.

Sleddy is coming down in a couple of weeks to chase deer, so this thread should stay updated through the next couple of months. Stay tuned, and we'll try to keep new pics coming as we fill the freezer (and hopefully the wall).

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.

Last edited by Raven; 10-16-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
ryanman
Registered Member

ryanman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kodiak 2011

Lemme know when you're going out & I'll load up my Rzr S & tag along. Btw, tons of silvers up the American.
'11 Rzr S LE, '11 Rzr 170 for the kids, couple other atv's & dirtbikes
ryanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
Lemme know when you're going out & I'll load up my Rzr S & tag along. Btw, tons of silvers up the American.
I'll give you a call. Thinking of heading in Saturday to look for deer. Freezer is running low on venison burger.

Oh, and I only saw 3 silvers in that whole stretch of river Sunday. Didn't go up to the big hole though.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

Im going to bring my bear gun just in case we have time...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
Im going to bring my bear gun just in case we have time...
Good idea!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
stihl029
Registered Member

stihl029 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm I cannot wait to get back and run around Saltery a bit. Have you filled your tags yet Raven? I have some when we get back from this tlong arse trip.
stihl029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
Hmmm I cannot wait to get back and run around Saltery a bit. Have you filled your tags yet Raven? I have some when we get back from this tlong arse trip.
Haven't filled a tag. Only been out twice. Opening day ruined by arse hats running atv's up the river bed (sounds familiar, right?), and Saturday...... Well, it was a beautiful warm sunny day. Too danged hot for hunting. Nice ride, great scenery.... Didn't see a deer. Shot of Zach sitting above the lake sweating. Doubt you can see it, but there's a nice bear behind and to the left of him on the far bank of the lake doing his thing. Since there was nothing else moving but two leggers all day, we sat and watched this clown swim around and chase fish all morning.

So, we said the Hell with it and dropped down to the lake and fished. Good times! Most of the silvers out there have turned already, but they're still fun to catch. Here's Zach at the mouth of Little Saltery Creek. We caught 3 there, all turned.

And me with a nice bright buck at the Bedsprings Hole after catching 5 others.

To make things better, the bear I've been watching was right where I thought he would be on the way back. No pics, too busy sneaking around trying not to disturb him too much. Got within 50 yards again and watched him through the brush. Did find the little girl down toward the bridge being the lazy bum she is. A whopping 40 yards on this pic. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Went out this morning. Two reasons. One, to catch some silvers for the smoker. Second, to check on my bear. Didn't even get to the parking lot. Crossing the bridge, there was the little girl. Watched her for a bit and took some pics. She's cute as a bug!

This one is from 12 yards, no zoom what-so-ever. ( A bridge give you a little buffer!)

And here's my boy. About 80 yards.

Zoomed in.

Nate- With a little luck, I'll be done with the whole bear thing long before you get here!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
scumby
Registered Member

scumby is on a distinguished road

saw the little girl on the way out saturday too, still laying there but eating some dinner.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Well, yesterday was the opener for bear. Got to admit I misjudged the size of the boar a little. I figured he was between 8' and 8'6". I don't think he'll reach 8'. In fact, I don't think he's much over 7'6". But, there are plus sides to that. Won't cost as much to have the rug made, he'll fit on just about any wall, and most importantly, the hide was perfect. I said screw it and pulled the trigger from about 20 yards.

I'm a meat hunter and have always been pretty conflicted about killing one of these bears just for something to put on the wall (you don't eat the meat). I finally decided that I wanted one, and then I would be done. Well, it's over. I've got a great hide and I'm happy. I'll never kill another one (unless it's in self defense of course).

Time to get serious and chase some deer.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
bigsub
Been there, done that.

bigsub is on a distinguished road

Well done! Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
sledneck

Is the a bear left for me?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
Is the a bear left for me?
Had it sealed today. Talking to John Crye at F&G, he said this was the 7th bear to come in from the American River alone!

Holy smokes! In two days!?!? I didn't ask how many from the entire road system. That many from just that one little river valley is insane. I know there has been ALOT of bears running around the road system the last three years, but that kind of number being put up in two days on one river is crazy. Especially considering the river has been a few inches below total flood stage since Monday night. It just started to appreciably drop today. A wheeled vehicle can only go so far up, and even less on foot before the raging river forces you to stop. What was normally a large gravel river bed with a little stream in the middle was 100 yards of brown water flying past at about 25 miles an hour. I only took the shot on my bear because it was on my side of the river and a mere 20 yards away. If this is the case with everyone else, imagine how many more bears are still running around that were either on the other side of the river, or farther up where they couldn't be gotten to? You know there are a ton more out there than were taken.

OK, now that I've built you up and gotten you excited, I think to hunt brownies in Kodiak you have to get your tag and get it registered at Fish & Game here locally. By the time you get off the plane and into town it'll be too late to get it done. They'll be closed. I'll call John tomorrow and double check.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
stihl029
Registered Member

Awesome Job Man. I wish I was home for that one. We hit the hills hard yesterday here in Adak and saw nothing. Logged over ten miles and 8000 vertical feet and only saw sign of Cribou from before the last storm and a few Ptarmigan. Jason's group got one and the Eng group got 3; 4 total for the ship. I am ready to at least get the chance to shoot at something soon.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

Congrats Eric. You have to get pictures of the beer on your wall when it is done. Your getting good at the wildlife photos.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
Awesome Job Man. I wish I was home for that one. We hit the hills hard yesterday here in Adak and saw nothing. Logged over ten miles and 8000 vertical feet and only saw sign of Cribou from before the last storm and a few Ptarmigan. Jason's group got one and the Eng group got 3; 4 total for the ship. I am ready to at least get the chance to shoot at something soon.
Thanks! Wish you would've been here too. I went by myself. Blain was supposed to be there to help, but ran really late. I couldn't wait. By the time he got there and found me I was just finishing loading up and getting ready to head home. Seeing as how I did this alone from start to finish...... Well, it's just another reason I'm glad the bear was a little smaller than I had thought it was! I took Wednesday AND Thursday off to recuperate. Getting the hide off of it and getting it loaded up and out of there in ankle deep water by myself while it poured rain REALLY sucked!

Quote:
Congrats Eric. You have to get pictures of the beer on your wall when it is done. Your getting good at the wildlife photos.
Thanks! Beer on the wall? That's a good idea!

Hey, does this place look familiar? Took Zach way up there on opening day.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
stihl029
Registered Member

Yeah were the Dollies still there? I was beat after that day. Wanna go out this weekend and see if we cannot put some meat in our freezers? this being underway in the summer kinda hurts the meat locker ideas.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
Yeah were the Dollies still there? I was beat after that day. Wanna go out this weekend and see if we cannot put some meat in our freezers? this being underway in the summer kinda hurts the meat locker ideas.
Didn't see a single Dolly up there. Guess they all moved down after salmon eggs. I'll be heading out there Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Sleddy will be here Friday afternoon. He and I will take the Rhino out Saturday. Zach has Sunday off, so we may take his TJ in Sunday along with the Rhino. Would like to run the bikes in Saturday and find out if any real snow/ice built up in the pass yet before taking the jeep. Need to get his rear locker and lights wired up this week.

Wait, are you home? Crap. Stupid military.
Knock once for home, two for home before Saturday???

Call me!

Btw, when you do get home, if the CUCV needs a jump call me. There's a jump box in the A/H, and I've got one in the wearhouse too. Oh, and tell Jason I said he's gay.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
ryanman
Registered Member

Gimme a call, I might be able to go depending on if my kids come over or not.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Well, Sleddy has come and gone. Unfortunately, no deer. Was a long and rough weekend of hunting. We hiked a good 15-20 miles of back country Saturday and Sunday and only saw one little spike the whole time. Only exitement we had was when a bear walked by us about 35 yards away when we were sitting glassing for awhile. My son Zach and a buddy went out with us both days. Jason and Zach took a spike Saturday. After watching Sleddy and I walk right past it from about 1000 yards away, they headed up the hill and found it. Jason felt bad that Sleddy came all the way down here and didn't score, so he gave it to him. Very cool! We spent all day Monday getting it processed just in time for him to get on the plane back to A-town. Now, if Nate can ever get home, at least he's got some meat for the freezer to show for all the effort. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty dissapointed he didn't get to drop a deer or two, but all in all we had a great time. Got to do a little wheeling, stomp around some beautiful country, and spend time with a buddy all weekend that I don't get to see much. The weather was even pretty good. No complaints here. Good times!

Nate, hope the storm blows over soon so you can get home. We're thinking of Marisha and hoping she's safe. Let us know how things go, and let's start planning the next one!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
ryanman
Registered Member

Should've came to my house, there's a big ol 8 pointer, a spike & 3 doe's bedding down in the bushes everynight, they're probably 40-50ft behind me in the bushes as I type this, lol. I think I might jump in my rzr & go find him this weekend, I just gotta figure out where the city limits line is behind my house before I pop his ***.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #22
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
there's a big ol 8 pointer, a spike & 3 doe's bedding down in the bushes everynight,
Yeah, that figures. I've seen well over a dozen deer this week just driving around doing my daily routine. Two that were forked horns or better and one really nice buck in town. After finishing up putting a new radiator in the Dakota tonight I took it out for a test drive. Just missed clipping a big forked horn right across the road from the VFW.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
sledneck

Eric thanks again for a great time!

So with 4 hours of sleep in 2 days I made it home Wednesday, flight was canceled Tuesday due to the storm Iím sure everyone has heard about. Not that bad here in Bethel just wind. The western coast and Norton Sound is another story. I was disappointing to not drop a deer but thatís hunting ya win some and ya lose some. I still had a great time hiking and wheeling in one of the most amazing places in AK.

Eric tell Jason thanks again for the deer heís a hell of a guy!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

Thanks! Beer on the wall? That's a good idea!

Hey, does this place look familiar? Took Zach way up there on opening day.

Yes it does. Me and Eric Walters road our ATV's up there years ago. **** near destroyed my ATV on that trip.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Last edited by Kodiak Dodge; 11-11-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote