Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Trails/Locations/Land > Land Use

Land Use Trail Legislation, Land Closures, and general Trail Concerns will be posted in here.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default History Channel series

This thread was moved to a members only area in an effort to give folks more flexibility in expressing their opinions or actions.

I'll write more as I get my thoughts together. The short version is we don't need this crap.

I’m doing research for a new History Channel series. We will have several teams of Alaska’s most hardcore Off Road adventurers take on the most challenging and diverse trails that Alaska has to offer, and push themselves and their trucks to the absolute limit. This extreme expedition will take us across America’s final frontier, from the Northern shores of Prudhoe Bay all the way to the far south, the grizzly bear capital of the world, Kodiak Island.

We are planning to film from approximately end of May for 6 weeks with Off-Road vehicles with experienced off road drivers and with a support staff with production vehicles. The areas that we are interested in being granted permission for filming are some of the most famous trails that Alaska has to offer. We are looking to start near Deadhorse, Alaska and travel south on the Trans Alaskan Highway towards Fairbanks, then to Anchorage and finally heading south and taking a barge to Homer, Alaska.

The trails may include Knik Glacier Run, Brooks Range Trail, Eureka Trails, Stampede Trail, Fairbanks Circle, Rainbow Mountain, Purches Creek, Fish Lake, Homer Trail and Kodiak Island. In addition, we are interested in trails around Boulder Creek area and the 55 Mile Trail near Fairbanks. Therefore, we would like permission to be on your land area to film and to do the off-roading we need to do for this show. Plus, being granted camping and event permission. We’d like to know what is the procedure for this approval and what do we need to do next.

Thank you for your valuable assistance, guidance and insight to obtaining all necessary approvals, permits necessary to be a positive experience for all concern. I can be reached at 818-295-6966 ext 4123 or cell at 818-378-4439. I look forward to working with you on this request.

Best Regards,
David

David Scoot Jones
OP Researcher

Original Productions, LLC
308 W. Verdugo Ave.
Burbank, CA 91502 USA
O: 818-295-6966 ext. 4123
F: 818-688-3292
M: 818-378-4439
E: djones@origprod.com

Last edited by snowbear; 03-02-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: req'd by 3rd party
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road
Default Re: History Channel series

Hmm. Is this associated with the group that was posting on here a while back? What are your thoughts summed up Scott?

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full83size View Post
What are your thoughts summed up Scott?
Summed up? Three things make men do stupid stuff, alcohol, trying to impress women, and being on camera.

Yes, same folks.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

I don't know. I've never felt the need to be on camera to do something completely stupid. In fact, the most rediculous stuff I've ever done was when I was by myself.

I agree with you though. We REALLY don't need this. This kind of exposure is just what will end up ruining our way of life. Too many stupid people will think its cool. Next thing you know, all our trails are inundated with irresponsible, uneducated, and unprepared morons who tear everything up and get hurt. Game over.

Unfortunately, sounds like they're being persistent. I'm afraid that if the right people don't step up and take this on, the wrong ones will.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
akleprecon
Registered Member

akleprecon has disabled reputation

it'd be hilarious if i got my subaru out there
would make for that over dramatic tv that history is known for
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Heard about this Wednesday, same conclusion. 1.Whoever participates will be made to look like fools 2. It will reflect poorly on the off road community. 3. Participants will probably end up babysitting a film crew etc.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Dusty is in on it
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #8
whatif
Registered Member

whatif is on a distinguished road

Re: History Channel series
Guys
I have spoken with this group a few months ago about this series . I really didn't think it was going to evolve into anything . I have spoken with these guys about there expectations and how they want to portrait our sport . The bottom line is they want drama . I have great fears on how the off-road community will be seen by the masses . If this takes place we should get involved and try and see that they are abiding by the rules and not destroying the trails . I have not and will not commit to anything that will make us out to be a bad element .
I am not happy this is taking place anymore than most of you guys . But if this does take place , a few key guys need to get involved and steer this in a positive direction .
I think if we ignore this situation we will be very upset at ourselves that we sat around and did nothing .
Scott as Gary knows I was planning on calling you this weekend , Gary and I spoke Wednesday and I expressed my concerns to him . In the end guys my biggest concern is our community and how we are seen . I have nothing to gain here guys by being involved , in fact I have a lot to loose if people don't want to deal with me or avoid me due to my involvement . So guys my question is do we have a choice? Do we sit back and let these guys wing it or do we get involved and try and make this out to be as positive as we can . I have more info on what kind of rigs they would like and what the general idea of the show is . It's late I just did a turn and burn from FBX and not thinking real clear.

WWW.STEADFASTOFFROAD.COM
whatif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
snowbear

Ed, very well put. I never talked with them so this is all the detail that I have. It's 'reality' tv and from what I've seen it's not about promoting positive images. The way I see it there are a couple options, make sure they post bonds big enough to repair any physical damage or shut it down. The event will require permits from DNR. They have already approached the MSB. This outfit was here a few years ago and asked the MSB for permission to use their land and the Boro said no.

I have a very hard time seeing this doing anything positive for the sport. Even if tread lightly members were driving every rig. I try my best but sometimes I bend the rules. The show will show that stuff over and over. Everyone can imagine what drama looks like in this sport, getting stuck, as in buried, breakage, lost tempers, throwing tools.

This same outfit went to Doyon 19 one winter when it was drilling way out in NPRA. There was no drama so they made it up. Most of us wanting to explore for oil on the tundra didn't see the show as helping our cause.

Drama sells otherwise it would be a PBS show.

Give me a call. I need to bounce my thots off someone to make sure I don't go off the deep end.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
whatif
Registered Member

whatif is on a distinguished road

Scott
I'll call you in about 30 mins or so

WWW.STEADFASTOFFROAD.COM
whatif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatif View Post
Scott
I'll call you in about 30 mins or so
I gotta go out where I get cell service. I'll call back in a few min
Old 03-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

I seriously hope this does not happen. It could be extremely detrimental to our sport and land access. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Can we petition to keep them from doing the shoot? I suppose the state just wants money and isn't concerned about image....
Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
ROVER1
Registered Member

ROVER1 has disabled reputation

There has already been quite a few who have talked to Original Productions about this. Some have already done interviews and have been filmed along with adding their perspectives regarding logistics, environmental concerns, and ethics.

At this point it is safe to say that there is no clear idea of what this "show" will be about, how it will be done, or who exactly will be involved and on what levels. Original Productions is being very elusive as to what and how they are giving out info and are way behind logistically with how this will happen.

Caution and a proactive approach is very much needed in dealing with this. I strongly recommend that more Alaskans start asking questions and make known their concerns and ideas instead of sitting back and allowing others who may not have the best of intentions dictate the producing of a show like this.

An Ultimate Adventure, or Camel Trophy style endeavor that educates and honestly portrays traveling off-highway may be able to be done and showed to the masses in a responsible and non dramatic way. But it will take direction and over site to be done in a way that is beneficial to all.
ROVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

If theres anything I can do also let me know.
I thought the show axe men was pretty real until I started working part time for a crew in Wa. Then I realized how made up90% of the show was. No respectable company would hire a new guy, give him a saw, screw off most the day, trash equipment and still have a job. Safety is paramount on the job site whether your on the side of the mtn or on a flat landing. After working with the crews, the things I saw in the show blew my mind. It really gave bad image to the public on the loggers who made a living in that profession. It made them out to be hot tempered, wreckless and stupid people who cared not for the environment.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html

Last edited by bigtex; 03-01-2014 at 04:27 PM.
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

I did a bit of Googling and they are I guess the folks responsible for many of the "reality" shows.
Ice Road Truckers, Axe Men, etc

http://origprod.com/shows/

Not sure if any of you guys have watched those shows recently but they are getting just a bit ridiculous.

If the show was more of a PBS or hunting/fishing type show I don't think it would be bad. Filming some guys on trail runs enjoying Alaska, showing the scenery and wildlife, maybe some history of the area, etc... You know... the reason that we get out in the woods.

I have a feeling (and I think most everyone else does) that it will be more Top Gear style... more or less promoting the thoughts that going off road means a free for all. Destroying trucks & trail.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 03-01-2014 at 04:34 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Scott/Ed- If these guys really want to come to Kodiak for this, please let me know. As much as I'd rather not, I'd rather be involved in this and try to control it than let some of the other "elements" here run wild with stupidity.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
greenoval
Registered Member

greenoval has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post

Im doing research for a new History Channel series. We will have several.... .................................................. .................................................. ........................................

Best Regards,
David

David Scoot Jones
OP Researcher

Original Productions, LLC
308 W. Verdugo Ave.
Burbank, CA 91502 USA
O: 818-295-6966 ext. 4123
F: 818-688-3292
M: 818-378-4439
E: djones@origprod.com
To whom was this letter addressed?

It is also--
"... difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" --Upton Sinclair
greenoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #18
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

I like to see all the people saying they are want/going to be involved to help control this. Being involved does not mean you will have any control. 95% of wheeling is just driving and riding bumps and that is not going to make good ratings on TV. They will do everything they can to make drama and the highlights will be all the "tearing up" the trails. Being involved is just meaning being part of the problem.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #19
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

hmm.. I suppose responsible wheelers should in theory deter the "reality show" mentality?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #20
snowbear

If anyone has had written correspondence with this outfit would you please post it here.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #21
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

I had contact when they first posted about this with Susan. We talked a couple of time and when I expressed concern about the way all reality shows portray the people and places they film, and how I was not going to be involved with it if it was going to turn into that. I have not heard back from them in months. I guess the plan is to back you look the fool tearing up the Alaskan wilderness.

I would like to be part of it if it was going to portrayed in a good sense, but anyone that watches TV can see what sells it is not going to be us driving on the trails showing our wilderness.

Look at Gold Rush they dig dirt and wash dirt looking for gold, right. There is very little of that it is more the drama and if there is none they make some.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #22
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Quote:
I like to see all the people saying they are want/going to be involved to help control this. Being involved does not mean you will have any control. 95% of wheeling is just driving and riding bumps and that is not going to make good ratings on TV. They will do everything they can to make drama and the highlights will be all the "tearing up" the trails. Being involved is just meaning being part of the problem.
Exactly why I'd rather not have anything to do with it. I really hope this doesn't come to fruition.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
AK_Ford
Registered Member

AK_Ford is on a distinguished road

They were out with us at knik yesterday filming one of the "teams"
The guys were cool, but I didn't get a good vibe with all of the scripted questions they were asking.
AK_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
arisjunior
Registered Member

arisjunior has disabled reputation

Ill bet a dollar to your dime that once this airs it will bring more unwanted scrutiny and trail closures.
35" pro comps
detroit/lockright
Dana 44/30
10k superwinch

=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|@ lllll @|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
arisjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
snowbear

I sent a letter out this morning. Everyone's in meetings so I'll have to wait for replys & return calls