Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Trails/Locations/Land > Land Use

Land Use Trail Legislation, Land Closures, and general Trail Concerns will be posted in here.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #101
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Purinton Creek Project Materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07crawlinJK View Post
ok if you can still wait till wednesday i will have the dump trailer back and can haul the Forklift to your house scott....
If it is first thing wednesday morning it would work.

I have to load Big Ugly wednesday morning/aft then I need haul the rv to the trailhead, drop it and come back wed night.

I've made lots of progress getting ready today but I know every hour I get a head will get eaten up by some unforseen issue between now and the weekend.

My schedule looks like this, just the big items.

Sunday
Prep everything possible, repairs to rv, oil changes, gather tools, get Yota from Cory's (not happening today )

Monday
Work at a job that pays the bills

Tuesday
Prep, load and haul excavator

Wednesday
Load Big Ugly
Prep, load and haul rv

Thursday
Prep, load and haul Toyota
Walk the excavator to the work site (walk back)
Move into the rv at the trailhead

Friday
Get the Zoomboom forklift from up by the Glacier
Unload Big Ugly

Saturday
Ready for everyone to show up and move tools & materials to the work site

Other ways folks can help,

Can someone run the forklift wednesday? Nate?
Can anyone haul a truck load of fasteners wednesday-friday

Last edited by snowbear; 05-18-2014 at 04:56 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #102
snowbear

from another board. I have to go back and read it the last couple days to keep my motivation up

Scott,
I am appalled at some of the responses I see here. I just stopped by your house and dropped off a check for $100. I am a sometime member of the atv club and I am tired of the shots across your bow by one of our disgruntled (what I must assume is an ex member). I have other obligations this holiday weekend, but I stopped by, as I wish other complainers would, and checked out the humungous piles of material you have staged there. If anybody would bother to check before they bad mouth somebody, and check out the cost of the material, they would realize that it is very expensive, I know, I purchased some like timbers and it is a real reality check to the wallet. You must have gotten a real discount on the timbers to get what you have staged there for the money spent. Even the galvanized hardware is expensive.

I think what most forget is that due to what and how your group gather funding and permits, you must design and perform under the rules of "sustainable". From what I saw this evening, that is at least a 20 year trail repair, unless jerks with over limit rigs come in and tear it up as they have done in the past.

If you move the project to the next weekend, I will be there.
It is disgusting that so few have offered to donate to this project, yet so many use this trail.
I hope that the dysfunctional few that wish to disparage your reputation and integrity rot in hell!

and my response

Larry, thank you for your words. As I sit here in a hotel room thousands of miles from home, listening to people that committed to this project a month ago bail like rats on a sinking ship, your words give me hope.

I can take the disparaging remarks, at least they care enough to speak up. It is the apathy, the deafening silence, that makes me despair. I call it the apathy of selfishness. So many rant about what needs to be done and never lift a finger to make a difference. When pushed they want someone else, usually the government, to do it for them.

There was a time when I would give all the time I had to work to help some person or project. I have been in the trail 'fight' for almost 20 years and lead of this non-profit going on 10. Last night I was done, ready to quit after I saw this project completed. Folks may not know it but I started this project in 2004. DNR said no then and over the years put many hurdles in our way. We addressed every one to get to this day.

I am still excited to see the finished product and there are folks that are stepping up. For example a man I've never met is providing his 18 wheeler to move the materials and not asking for a dime for his truck or his time. Another has offered his forklift to unload at the trailhead. Another has offered his home next to the trailhead. I know it will get built tho it has tested my faith in people and caused enormous amounts of stress.

Yes, we got good discounts on the materials. SBS and Fire & Fastener treated us well. Those bolts are about 4$ each and there are almost 2000 of them in my shop!

So far we don't have much help during the week so it may just be me and my dog Monday-Fridays. I am certain I will be there for a couple weeks. If you can come out the weekend of the 31st that would be great.

Again, thank you for your donnation. I appreciate the effort you made to come over and make it in person.

Scott
Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #103
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

I am on call from wed to next wed so not sure if I can go up trail. But I am definetely trying to figure out how to help. How far out is the trail head? perhaps I can run a few truck loads out. If nothing else I know I can give you guys my 6.5k genset. And am more then happy to drop it off with a can or two of fuel. But being as im on call I have to stay within a reasonable response time to Anchorage(~1.5-2hrs) And cell service.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #104
BIG UGLY
Registered Member

BIG UGLY has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
ok. I guess it's up to one of the volunteers if they'd take the risk of a ticket. It would be great for one of the jeep guys. There are a few loads of tools and support stuff. My big concern is getting the lumber to the site

That said there is STILL LOTS to do other than hauling stuff.

Another option, IMO a huge PITA, would be to put it on a licensed trailer and bring it up.
I think the 40' trailer I'm borrowing has a pintle on it, I'll check tomorrow and if it does I could load the 105 on the flat bed to get it to your place then tow it up with the lumber, someone would need to get it back to Wasilla when the project is completed.
BIG UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:39 AM   #105
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Yes I should be able to run f/l to load. Just let me know what time to be at your place.

Would be ideal to have a spotter or two as I imagine some of the materials are fairly large and will need to play "Tetris" a bit to get it all on the trailer.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #106
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Yes I should be able to run f/l to load. Just let me know what time to be at your place.

Would be ideal to have a spotter or two as I imagine some of the materials are fairly large and will need to play "Tetris" a bit to get it all on the trailer.
I'll be there. Having an operator keeps from have to climb on and off all day
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #107
snowbear

Got the forklift at the house. Thanx Gus, Cris and Shane for making it happen and providing a backup plan!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #108
snowbear

The flatbed will be delivered tomorrow evening and loaded wednesday.

Nate, if you can be here wednesday tween 10-11am that should give us time to load it and leave me time to take a load to the trailhead.

Chris, we will need those stickers before we start loading.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #109
snowbear

Anyone got an 120v electric impact they can let us use for the duration of the project?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #110
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I do
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #111
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
Yeah I do

THANX!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #112
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

At the last MSTC meeting, a gentleman from the trailhead are was present, was supportive and offered to help, pretty sure Patti has his contact info.
I've volunteered the Babe Magnet on several several occasions, I received the HydroVac for it today and it should be up and running Wednesday evening if all goes well. I can haul 8-9,000 lbs, safely, and as much as 11,400 lbs (across scales) the enclosed bed is 14' plus inside the ends and 74" between the side sides. It is ugly, but slow, be glad to haul whatever.
I have a flat square tubing trailer, no deck, that could be used to haul long (20') material on, has a single trailer axle trailer axle rated for 7,000 lbs. 2" ball hitch, if someone has a rig to pull it, it could be used ferry lumber to the site from the parking lot.
Have a 4 wheel off road trailer about 6'x3' with short rails, ATV style tires might be useful for hauling smaller items like gensets, tools, fuel, etc, 2" ball hitch, no suspension, can be pulled easily with a 4 wheeler.
Have MANY heavy duty, long extension cords and other construction type tools, I may or may not be able to help with the work on site, depending on my health, call if you want to stop by and look at anything I may have you you to use. 354 4476 HTH, Good luck

BTW I wouldn't put a lot of weight on ANY pipe rack on a pickup, almost all, if not all, will be lifted already and putting a large weight on a pipe rack is a recipe for a rollover and a "significant emotional event" or worse. Think about it!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #113
nate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
The flatbed will be delivered tomorrow evening and loaded wednesday.

Nate, if you can be here wednesday tween 10-11am that should give us time to load it and leave me time to take a load to the trailhead.

Chris, we will need those stickers before we start loading.
Sounds like a plan.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
Old 05-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #114
snowbear

Got the excavator and a few sills delivered. Got the trailer reloaded with more sills and the yota on top. Also loaded the fasteners. Still need to lash it all down...

Nate, can we shoot for 10?

I still need some one to haul the brackets. Jack, you want to do it?
Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #115
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

Yes I can do it, let me know what time to be at your place.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #116
The SERCHR
Registered Member

The SERCHR has disabled reputation

Greetings All:

I just signed up and want to help haul supplied to the Purinton trail head.

I can haul things on my 8 x 10 flatbed trailer tomorrow morning.

Just need details.
The SERCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #117
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SERCHR View Post
Greetings All:

I just signed up and want to help haul supplied to the Purinton trail head.

I can haul things on my 8 x 10 flatbed trailer tomorrow morning.

Just need details.

Welcome SERCHR

We've got the mobilization of materials about covered now. We could use help loading the 18 wheeler tomorrow. I hope to fit everything on but I don't know. Nate is gonna operate the forklift. We should be starting about 10am. If you want to help just reply and I'll get you my address.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #118
The SERCHR
Registered Member

The SERCHR has disabled reputation

Yes, I will be glad to help load up.
The SERCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #119
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SERCHR View Post
Yes, I will be glad to help load up.
PM sent
Old 05-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #120
snowbear

question...

the forklift for unloading is 23,000#. That's 3,000# over my trailer GVW and WAY over my truck GCVW.

What do I do?

Last edited by snowbear; 05-20-2014 at 06:23 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #121
snowbear

Ok, We've got a backup plan for the forklift. I can take the one that is here at the house up to the trailhead to unload the flatbed. It's an extra trip but not that big of a deal. It will cut into the time I had for dressing the trail but as long as it stay dry thru the weekend we will be ok.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #122
nate
Registered Member

I posted earlier but its not showing for some reason. 10 sounds good.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #123
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Thought the FL on the other side was down the road? can it not be driven to the trail head?

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #124
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
Yes I can do it, let me know what time to be at your place.
Come by before noon if you can. I can't predict with any accuracy when I will make the next run to the trailhead. It will be today that's all I know
Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #125
snowbear

Tractor trailer is loaded. Thanx Nate and Patrick (SERCHR) !!!!

Making another trip to the trailhead in about an hour

We still need someone to haul the brackets.