Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #51
Sean76
Sick of Idiots!

Sean76 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6x6 ideas and discussion

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/sno/4114897344.html

Might be worth a look
Sean76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #52
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

While the 6x6 mutt is cool, I just see the extra weight and wheellbase being a a big hindrance to its performance . it would have low ground pressure in a flat tundra,bog type terrain but that would be its only advantage. Steering would be brutal on any hard-ish surface
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #53
deepmud

deepmud is on a distinguished road

I think it's a little bit of weight for for a lot more floatation and traction. I suppose on a very tight trail the slower steering/long wheel base might be tougher, the rig is already so small and short compared to a full-size buggy that it should be a wash.

It seems to me that the obstacle that stops you is either a bog, or a river. 6x6 isn't going to be a help for deep water - but you build for what you expect to deal with, I suppose.....

"steering would be brutal".....you mean it would push itself along in a straight line, right?

I could imagine that.....
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #54
yellowk20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepmud View Post
I think it's a little bit of weight for for a lot more floatation and traction. I suppose on a very tight trail the slower steering/long wheel base might be tougher, the rig is already so small and short compared to a full-size buggy that it should be a wash.

It seems to me that the obstacle that stops you is either a bog, or a river. 6x6 isn't going to be a help for deep water - but you build for what you expect to deal with, I suppose.....

"steering would be brutal".....you mean it would push itself along in a straight line, right?

yeah it would push through turns bad,
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #55
deepmud

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
yeah it would push through turns bad,

well - we assume it would we don't KNOW cause we don't have one but it seems like a good guess.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #56
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road

my 6x6 ranger isn't much harder to steer than a 4x4
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #57
deepmud

Someone should go for a test drive in the 6x6 mutt Man, for that price I should sell off my 454 Arctic Cat and make up the difference. One of the things my wife dislikes about my Suzuki is that it's so **** tall she hates getting in and out of it. The mutt is lowwwww. Or relatively low
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #58
Niko

Niko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepmud View Post

I think I'll be able to keep it really light. A front Samurai axle is 175 lbs, the rear is around 120 lbs, and the four leaf springs are probably 75 lbs all together, and figure another 20 lbs for shocks. Total Samurai weight removed should be right around 390 lbs. If the M151 front assembly's are around 150 lbs complete, then even with three of them you're only gaining 60 lbs + the steel needed to mount everything, so maybe figure around 110 lb total gain.

Factory Samurai wheel & tire weighs about 48 lbs, so 192 for all four. The 34x12 tractor tires are 46 lbs ea. and the cheap, black Mickey Thompson 15x8 aluminum wheels are 16 lbs ea. Total weight for 6 tires and wheels is 372 lbs. A 180 lb difference.

Total weight gain for the M151 assemblies, wheels, & tires shouldn't be more than 300 lbs. With a stripped down samurai, I think a sub 2,600 finished weight is easily attainable, and maybe even quite a bit less. I have a lot of ideas to drop weight.

I bought a really accurate (within a pound) 5,000 lb digital crane scale last year to weigh my snowmachine, so when I do get around to building this thing I can weigh all the individual parts and the entire rig when it's done.

Last edited by Niko; 10-11-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #59
Niko

I stopped by E.A. Patson today and got the last three M151 front assemblies. Picking them up Friday or Monday and then I'll weigh them. Now I just need to get the Samurai.

Sunday I went and looked at family friends buggy that uses three M151 front assemblies. He's been running 31x15.5 terras the last 5 years and hasn't had any issues aside from bending the steering linkage so I'll probably build beefier steering right off the bat. He welded both rear differentials and hasn't broken any parts yet though. I'm going to have him weld both of the rears on mine and see If I can get the Samurai Lockright machined to fit the front.

Last edited by Niko; 10-14-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #60
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road

in my ranger 6x6 it makes a lot of difference in steering whether or not the rear axle is locked up or not. I recommend only locking one axle if you can fit two lockers into the budget.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #61
Niko

I picked up a bunch of spare parts and wheels & tires tonight from an old friend of my dads. I will be very well stocked with extras. Picking up the three complete assemblies Monday from Patsons. I also got my 5K digital crane scale back from my buddy so I'll weigh the complete assemblies as soon as I get them.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #62
Niko

I was never able to get the complete assemblies from Patsons, so I'm wondering how difficult you guys think it would be to convert the housings I have to solid axles? I guess first thing would be to disassemble a diff and see what the spline count and diameter is on the stub shafts and then see if there's a stock axle that will work.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #63
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

I think you'd be better off with two samurai or tracker axles.

Mount a carrier bearing on the front-most rear axle and throw in a second transfer case mounted backwards.
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #64
Niko

That would probably be easier. I'm also strongly considering building a half track. The tracks ground footprint would probably have to be 4' or less so you could still steer with front wheels, but I like the simplicity of it and it cuts down on extra drivetrain parts. Plus you get the extra flotation and capability that tracks offer. If you ran an ARB then steering would be much easier as the tracks would act like an open diff.

The only problem with tracks is coming up with a simple, strong, & lightweight skid design. Obviously a half track Samurai is never going to travel faster than 10-15 mph so I don't think the suspension would have to be anything extravagant.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #65
Niko

I wonder how something like this would work?
http://mclarenusa.com/over-the-tire-...er-loader.html
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #66
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Niko,
Have you ever considered a single IFS rear differential driving a walking beam arrangement with 4 wheels? To get a better idea look at the drive wheels on a road grader, the part the drive wheels are attached to are what I am referring to. The differential could be mounted solid to the frame similar to a '63 up Corvette or Jaguar, with short shafts from the differential out to the middle of the walking beam which could be mounted solid (no suspension)to a frame pivot point. Obviously this would only work with a very low speed vehicle, since it would have no springs in the suspension. The only suspension it would have would be the sidewalls in the tires, up and down wheel travel would be the walking beam arrangement on a central pivot.
Use of existing components would help keep costs down, the walking beam housing would be the only major fabrication.

Clear as mud?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 12-31-2013 at 12:07 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #67
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

Arent the graders rear wheels connected with drive chains?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #68
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Never had a graders' final drive apart, most likely chain or all gear drive. I think you get the idea, it would have to be a positive power transmission method. Of course Niko isn't going to be transmitting the kind of torque a grader would.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #69
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

Just a thought. Some of my buddies who run equipment say they are set up that way.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #70
yellowk20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Arent the graders rear wheels connected with drive chains?

Yes they are chain driven, BUT they have open/our selectable center diffs that drive them AND most are articulated so you can steer better. but even with all that graders scrub tires bad when turning sharp and its not uncommon for the chain case to fail on hard surfaces .
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #71
Maddening
Registered Member

Maddening is on a distinguished road

Here is a HiLux 6x6 I took a picture of the other day in the ConocoPhillips parking lot. Obviously not Anchorage, this in in Stavanger Norway. The owner posts on this board occasionally, his username is Arctic. Not sure if it will be on Top Gear or not, but they did drive it: http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/t...ive-2013-11-11

(clicky for big!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
Dammit, it's cold here!
...caught the Jeep thing twice recently.

1977 Jeep J10, it's BLUE
2017 Jeep Rubicon, it's GREEN (and For Sale!)

Last edited by Maddening; 01-24-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Maddening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #72
Niko

Bumping this back to the top. Lately I've been considering the idea of replacing all three differentials in my Ranger 6x6 with Mutt diffs. The Ranger diffs are geared 3.70 and Mutt diffs are 4.86 so I'd get some power back and stronger drivetrain.

Anyway, I always figured the big hurdle would be building a double a-arm setup but I took one of the hubs apart tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Once the brakes and backing plates are off, the hubs themselves are relatively light and have a nice flat 6 bolt mounting surface to build some plates to adapt to a-arms. It would actually be really easy. I thought I'd throw some pics up just because.

Removed what was left of the swing arm style a-arm

Removing the backing plates

What's left. Would need to run driveline brakes unless converting to discs.

After welding the rear two differentials, I'd be stuck with a 5x6 as well. I've read that you can modify a Powertrax locker for a sidekick to work but I don't what all is involved, info is scarce.

Last edited by Niko; 12-22-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #73
samwe
Registered Member

samwe is on a distinguished road

That looks cool. Please keep us posted.
I am not longer pondering a 6x6 myself as a friend and I went in on a Muskeg project.
samwe is offline   Reply With Quote