Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #26
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

Looking at these pictues...I think this is more of a grant-o-vation than anything else. IMO, the drill bit pulley and camera tripod make the deal.
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #27
Little Giant
Bitter Member

Little Giant is on a distinguished road

Nice job Grant. So in the first post of this thread your pictures show a single cut line. Just for widening the rim I believe.

Is that what one cut line is for, and the center is cut out to install a different center section for the rockwell bolt patten? What's the third cut needed for?

My name is Cactus.
Little Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #28
Logjam
Superchic

I decided widening the rim was a waste of time and the end results wouldn't be as nice. using the stock rim doesn't save welding time, and putting the flange in the rim would allow junk to collect between the rim center and the flange. What I'm doing now is cutting the bead seats off and the center. A 12" wide drum will make up the new rim. This way we will have a brand new looking 14"x16" rim. With the new rim, the center will BE one flange, and the other rim half bolting to it. No trough for junk to collect

The center will weld onto a new plate. It will look like a cross between a staz works rim and a hummer rim.

These aren't for me. They're going on someones FJ40 I guess...
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-23-2005, 05:32 PM   #29
Logjam
Superchic

Wanna run some motorcycle tires on the 8 lug?

Now imagine a flange with the center welded to it and the other half of the drum welded to just a flange. Kind of like a hummer bead lock or those staz works?

Some glory shots. All these are available in full resolution if you need a desktop pattern. I like the sparks and fire more than anything else!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #30
Logjam
Superchic

In the picture above you can see a new red spot forming form the sparks. Look in the top of the pipe...

Okay, I promose no more pictures of sparks... I should have 3 more drums rolled by the middle of the week. The UHMW bands will be made out of old air boat skid material. If I had to buy it, a 5x10 sheet of 1/2" is something like $290.

Some tech? The rums need to be 15 3/8".

For those without a fancy rim machine, a trailer spindle holding the rim and a real big belt just rubbing on the dropped center should work JUST FINE. Might need more belt tension, probably not. There is no rubbing of any parts...

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #31
Logjam
Superchic

Scraps for 4 rims. The ground isn't wet by the hose. That's fine metal dust...concentrated.

Here is a good picture that shows how everything is setup:

Now that all 4 rims are done the welding begins. Actually, I have to cut 3 rim centers for gus, then cut a bunch of flanges for these rims, and then I can weld.

I think I'm going to do all the welds with some Esab DualShield II 70 Ultra. Should make it easy to automate.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-30-2005, 01:07 AM   #32
Logjam
Superchic

First I had to finish cutting 24" centers for a friend. That's a 4x4 sheet!

The beadlock rings for the 16" rims will be about 15.3" diameter. I used a 16" diameter circle to plan out each plate. These traingular plates are left overs from tank heads. Fuel tanks, poop tanks, all kinds of tanks!

Talk about cutting it close!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #33
Logjam
Superchic

Leftovers... plenty of gussets in this sheet!

Cutting 3 more...

Scraps from that sheet, hot off the press! Look at the steam!

This is way too much offset, but it shows how things are working out...

The wheel center will actually be welded to the outer drum half instead of the inner. The stock rim centers are just too big. The 1/4" flanges fit perfect in the drums rolled by Greer Tank.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 AM   #34
Logjam
Superchic

Now for sparks!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #35
Logjam
Superchic

I almost forgot to show the last picture...

Took 3.5 hours to handle material, make the cad drawing, and cut the pieces. I've got one more to do...

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #36
Logjam
Superchic

No questions/suggestions? Is anyone interested in this?

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #37
Little Giant
Bitter Member

Little Giant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logjam
I'm interested. Note that I plan to make my own set, but its fun to follow along.

Just haven't been online much the past week, so getting caught up today.

You are going to automat the welding?

My name is Cactus.
Little Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:05 PM   #38
RTCUL8
Registered Member

RTCUL8 is on a distinguished road

Oh sure, we're all interested. But I'd say most of us are just kind of dumbfounded too watching the mad scientist whip up all sorts of whiz bang funky contraptions and whatnot.

I usually actively read for the first 1/3 or so of what youre doing so I can try and get a jist of whats happening, aside from what you tell us in the thread title. After about that far, my brain hurts and stops wanting to process, so I kinda stop reading along and just sit and look at all the pretty pictures.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:08 PM   #39
RTCUL8
Registered Member

RTCUL8 is on a distinguished road

Whats that club called??

MENSA??

Do they have an engineering branch?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #40
ODDBALL
GRIND MASTER!

ODDBALL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logjam
Oh yea! I am following any post you put up here & just sit here with my jaw on the key board! Kind of hard to post much when I cant tell my eons from my ions & all the other stuff that makes things do round & spark. Keep posting.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #41
akcj5
Registered Member

akcj5 is on a distinguished road

Grant, I read EVERYTHING you post.... I don't post much at all since you do a good job of compeletely explaining yourself. IE steps taken, problems encountered, how you fixed it.... blah blah.... and you have tons of pics to back it up.

GRADE A POSTIING by you *ALL* the time.

So keep posting, and know that we all read and are all interested in your grant tech stuff. I hope to meet you sometime if I am ever down that way in the state.

Keep up the good posting!
akcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:04 PM   #42
deepmud

deepmud is on a distinguished road

just keep an eye on the "views" counter Grant. 587 and climbing
Old 10-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #43
bigun
Registered Member

bigun is on a distinguished road

I've been keeping up with this project here and on the PBB. Those guys over there do not know what to make of you. Most of them are so used to going out and buying what they need when somebody comes along with a different idea they don't know what to do. LOL the rest of us just
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:28 AM   #44
Logjam
Superchic

Thanks guys. I'm glad it has entertainment value.

I started out today looking at a pile of rolled bands, 10 flanges, 4 rims cut up... I couldn't figure out how I got here and I didn't know how to proceed. There aren't exactly instructions on the internet on the best way to weld up and make a double beadlock... So I just started doing things and hoped that nothing exploded.

Here are the flanges!

Here is how we set the backspacing on the rim. Are wire spools dimensionally similar? I measured a stock rim at around 5" backspacing, so I decided to make my rim 5".

Here is rim machine #2. I use it for spinning on the bench to check runout and for tack welding.

Here is how the center will be located. Hopefully the back side of the lug nut holes is accurate.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-31-2005, 12:35 AM   #45
Logjam
Superchic

Here is the outer bead flange and rim center tack welded. Kind of hard to see, but thats all I have.

Now we're checking the bead seat with a dial indicator. It was a prefect press fit.

I kept getting confused at which side I was going to chop off to split the rim. So I wrote "NO" on one side to keep me from making a mistake. In this picture the flange is welded on the reverse side, rim center welded from the back, and bead welded on the outside.

The rim machine's flange was too big to mount a rim on backwards, so I chopped it

The big rim wouldn't fit on the machine backwards so I had to slide the shaft hub off of the gear box a little, and also put 7 flat washers between the wheel hub and wheel adaptor. The wheel adaptor has a center pilot so its still centered...

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 AM   #46
Logjam
Superchic

Cutting the wheel in half was harder than it sounds. I have a 90 degree plasma torch and it just didn't want to stick in there. It BARELY fit!

Its not rubbing anything, but you can see its a tight fit!

Keep your welding hood clean! Earlier when I welded the seam in the drum I thought I'd found the seam. That's what that little fart bead is from. I wasn't getting a good fealing because I just couldn't see anything. Well, the scratch I was welding over is gone. Cutting the rim in half was fairly uneventful...

Here is the cut in half rim on rim machine #2 with the 2nd flange resting on it. Somehow I forgot to take pictures after this until I was finished with the rim. There is always rim #2 to get pictures...

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 AM   #47
Logjam
Superchic

All the burnt paint and flux cure smoke make it look ghetto, but with a little paint it will get its bling!

Thats a 13.5x16 double bead lock rim.

How did it turn out? All that's left for this is a hole for the valve stem. At that point its completely usable. Making it even better would be the plastic insert. I have a tire warming up in the garage right now and Monday night I'll mount it up!

I've considered a few times putting flanges on both rim half pieces, but no lug nut pattern. Put the lug nut pattern on a 3rd plate with matching holes. Then the rims could work with what ever axle you wanted. But if you ever wanted to change you could just torch out the old pattern and weld a new one in...

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 AM   #48
fj55tyrant
Registered Member

fj55tyrant is on a distinguished road

Awesome work Grant. Im glad you can make circles out of triangles. The rims look awesome.

I also look forward to your posts come Sunday evening. Can't wait to paint them up.
Norm
fj55tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 AM   #49
Logjam
Superchic

What color do you want them? I need to take some decent pictures so I want to paint one. I'll primer one at the very least...

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 10-31-2005, 12:56 AM   #50
fj55tyrant
Registered Member

fj55tyrant is on a distinguished road

Grey hammerite. I really like how Dianna's turned out. Kinda looks like powdercoating to the untrained eye. Wall Mart has it, if your want to shoot one keep track of how much you spend on paint and I will get it back to you.
fj55tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote