Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #101
davids78bronco
Registered Member

davids78bronco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Home made insert double beadlocks

[Beavis] This is the coolest thing, I have ever seen [/Beavis] This is a bit off-topic, but I gotta ask - how much do those tires sell for?

*my bad, I just found the Tractor Tire FAQ

Last edited by davids78bronco; 03-13-2006 at 06:46 PM.
davids78bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #102
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

I spent tonight cleaning up after previous mistakes, I mean trials...yeah... I decided that since Norm's rims were moving along so quickly I should finish my 4 rims before I got sick of them and took another 4 months off. I used the best 4 bands on Norm's rims so for mine I will have to do some work...

The first one is where I spread the drum out in order to make it tight all the way around. It didn't work like I imagined and I wanted to Control-Z it.

Step 1 - Look at it

Step 2 - First bead seat off

Step 3 - Second bead seat off!!!

Just a lesson in how nice it is to only have tack welds until you're ready to commit.

I hammered two bead seats onto the rim and then did a few tack welds. If you look closely you can see the seam:

Before I really knew what I was doing I had a drum made that was oversize. This needed to be downsized badly.

The first thing I did was grind the tack welds and then break them. The second thing was to tighten the band with some sinch straps to get an idea of where to cut.
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com

Last edited by Logjam; 03-13-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #103
Logjam
Superchic

There was a lot of overlap to deal with! I don't know I came to specify a size this big... The guy that rolled them wrote on them "should be 49 55/64" or something. He knew what was going on more than I did!

Band has been trimmed

The cut was perfect

Right when I could have started welding more bead seats on Gus's rings roll into my welder and break the gun trigger switch connector off. Time to visit air liquede for some spare parts. All I need is the plug.
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #104
dak360
Registered Member

dak360 is on a distinguished road

incredible work.

i'm just curious but why dont you just make your own compleat center for the rim, instead of welding in the center from the stocker, just use the two bead seats and away you go. i'd think it would be a bit less work, you'd just have to cut your bolt holes and center hole, so youd basically have a solid round disk for your back half, and a dounut for the front.

again, your work has inspired me, great built up thread.
dak360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 AM   #105
Logjam
Superchic

I got 8 new flanges cut out. I had a few hickups. There are some friends of my brothers comming in and messing with my stuff. I know they aren't trying, but they've cost me a few hundred dollars in broken tools and welding materials. I've begun going around the garage and putting "NO!" on masking tape and then taping off some things. For example the thermostat. They turned it to 90 for a few days. Basically the unit heater never shut off. Today I come in and the stupid thing is set to 80. Grrr.... Anyway...they turned off the compressor (which I NEVER do) and it took 75% of the life out of the tip before the plasma cutter cut out with low pressure. That made one ring look all ugly.

I got three drums done before I ran out of rings (and then I made the above rings). I had to make enough rings to replace the ones for Norm's rims, and then make enough to finish mine. I might also cut Gus's 8 rings out too.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 AM   #106
Logjam
Superchic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak360
incredible work.

i'm just curious but why dont you just make your own compleat center for the rim, instead of welding in the center from the stocker, just use the two bead seats and away you go. i'd think it would be a bit less work, you'd just have to cut your bolt holes and center hole, so youd basically have a solid round disk for your back half, and a dounut for the front.

There are a few good things about a stock center. They're strong, they have a perfect hole pattern, the holes are countersinked, plus I think it looks cool.

Its also easier for me to adjust for runout when I have the center as a separate piece from the flange. I am video taping the whole rim building process from sheets of steel to paint...so when the movie comes out it might make more sense.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #107
ODDBALL
GRIND MASTER!

ODDBALL is on a distinguished road

Rock it Grant!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:22 AM   #108
Logjam
Superchic

Yo!!!

I needed to have something to show for today...So I have some random pictures.

I cut out a set of rings for Gus. He's comming over to put together a set of rims while I've got all the equipment setup.

Here is the STACK!

I throw a ring onto the steel and mark out where it should go. This way I can plan the best way on using this "scrap" steel.

20 holes cut

Center hole cut

Everything cut

The movie will be cool! It might be 15 minutes long though! There is a lot to making one rim!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #109
fj55tyrant
Registered Member

fj55tyrant is on a distinguished road

Still very impressed with the machine you built.
Thank you for helping me out.
Norm

I will never sell these rims I will keep them until I'm at least as old as Gus
fj55tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #110
Logjam
Superchic

Norm, that's a LONG time...

Just kidding gus!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-17-2006, 12:34 AM   #111
Logjam
Superchic

Oh no! What have we here? Rim machine number 3???

What do you think I'm going to do with that?

It took quite a bit of time with 40 grit sand paper to make all 16 rings nice and prettty

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #112
Logjam
Superchic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak360
incredible work.

I'm going to make 4 rims with plate centers. So you'll get to see what they look like.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #113
jeeperak
Registered Member

jeeperak is on a distinguished road

holly bill nye the welding/mad scientist guy.......sweet fabbing
jeeperak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #114
Logjam
Superchic

I want to make my rim centers compatible with both chevy/toyota 6x5.5 and ford/suzuki (yeah right)/international/jeep 5x5.5.

Why can't everyone get along and just settle on one size. This is stupid.

I've already chosen the 3 songs for the rim making movie. Its going to go from harsh to mild. 16 minutes! I might chop a verse out of one of the songs. If I can fill it up, so be it!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-18-2006, 12:48 AM   #115
Logjam
Superchic

Actually the 3 songs are 12 mintues. I think 12 mintues is too much, but I can't decide which song to throw out. The music selection is harder than the rims, thats for sure!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-18-2006, 02:01 AM   #116
Logjam
Superchic

Here is what I did tonight. I wanted to be flexible, thats why I have both 5x5.5 and 6x5.5. This is not a street rim, its an offroad rim only. Thats why I'm doing it this way.

I'm thinking about running two countersinked lug nuts and the others reversed.

GUS, if you read this please bring drill bits from 1/2 to 5/8 not including 1/2.

There is one broken stud....What's up with that brian?

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-18-2006, 02:02 AM   #117
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

you could mix in some narration?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 AM   #118
Logjam
Superchic

Here are 3 of Gus's 15.5" rims built today, plus one of Norm's 13.5", and one stock 7" ford rim:

I cut out 3 more centers for my own wheels:

The old stencil I had was really hard to locate.

The new one is larger so I can locate it easily,

Holes are drilled now. The rims are both 5x5,5 and 6x5.5

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 AM   #119
Logjam
Superchic

I will be using my home made welder to weld up all the rims. Here is the wirefeeder:

Here is the power supply:

And here is the MIG CV regulator I built with parts from an old CB radio and a stock alternator.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-20-2006, 01:26 AM   #120
Logjam
Superchic

Well, I figured out why today alternators are not good for short circuit transfer mig welding. So I don't know what I'm going to do now for welding the rims together. My Grantomatic 185 could do it, but slower than I would like and without some hardwire it would be a mess (although I could just weld the whole thing overhead. )

Anyway, I'll call airliquede on Monday.

The center pieces I made were taken from some good steel I guess.

In case you don't know what one looks like or how it works, here is a picture. When the shaft touching the plate is moved in or out the dial changes. Its called a dial indicator.

I was planning on putting the center plate with the lug holes on top of all the flanges, but I think this looks pretty cool (putting it between the two flanges). I might stick with this. I wanted to make the rims have as much backspacing as possible while still being able to fit a 1 ton axle. By putting the center in front of the flange I could make the rig 1.5" narrower.

Rim machine number 4 can be flipped upside down pretty easily for "encouraging" a ring back on the rim.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #121
dak360
Registered Member

dak360 is on a distinguished road

first of all the solid centers look great, i dig the dual bolt pattern.
i'm getting some crazy ideas in my head thanks to you. lol
one thing i just thought of was, could a guy make the rim with the center removeable/replaceable. the thought crossed my mind for production reasons., say you massed produced some internal beadlock rims, but was undecided on what bolt pattern you wanted. so just make her with the inner and outer doughnut, and have the center bolt on when you bolt the doughnuts together. i guess if anytyhing you'd be able to adjust your backspacing say have your center on the inside, middle or outside of the doughnuts... (although it would be minimal adjustments)
or would that be to many surfaces bolting together,/ forces causing bolts to shear, more prone to leaking? whacha think?

although i just realised that would use allot more materials....

Last edited by dak360; 03-20-2006 at 07:39 PM.
dak360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #122
Logjam
Superchic

What you just described is exactly how they're setup right now. There are two flanges and then the center. I did it this way so that if someone bought the rims in the future they could switch them out to 8 lug chevy easily. It did use more steel, but you could still get more than one rim (but not two) out of 8x4 sheet of steel.

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #123
Logjam
Superchic

Didn't take long to get the hang of solid wire after a 5 year break...

This is what the front and back side of the dual pattern wheel will look like. The front side will just be deeper. I like the look of the flange against the center...

I started today with 1000psi in my 162 cuft tank but couldn't use it all up. I feel like a robot. These projects are really cool to think about, but something I will not want to do again. 56 feet of welding down, 50 feet to go...

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-24-2006, 12:16 AM   #124
Logjam
Superchic

Here is the 14bFF rim machine. Just a regular gov lock 14 with no axle shaft...

Here is the camera tripod

This time we tried some low tech. The axle holds the rim, I pull the trigger on the torch which is held by the tripod, and my brother manually spins the rim.

This is what it looks like when he spins too fast. The cut doesn't go all the way through and my hand gets hot!

Another good shot

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 03-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #125
Logjam
Superchic

Here is how I did it the second time. I didn't use the fancy gear box or drill motor. Pretty much anyone could do this...Just put your rig on jackstands.

This is for cutting the drum in half to add a second flange

First I mount the rim on an axle. Then I make a small cut from the inside of the rim so that I know WHERE to cut:

Then I set the torch up:

Then I pulled the trigger and simply rolled the rim by hand. I had someone hold a stove pipe to collect as much of the sparks as possible, even though it missed a lot.

I wrapped the cable around the axle so that my ground wouldn't be lost!

This is the reason I didn't want to cut from the outside in at first. After looking at things for a few days I figured it was worth a try. It cleans up pretty easily...

Here are all of the rims that I split and added a second ring today

www.brokenyoke.com