Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation
Default Super strong thick inner tube

Anyone have any suggestions for finding extremely tough inner tubes?

Anyone know how I would make my own out of sheet? Like is it possible to cut up a flat sheet and sow it back together so that I can then put a wimpy tube inside???

The Russians who don't use tube flaps have custom heavy duty tubes made for them. Lets just assume for now that they can't be imported...

After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Rolling
Now you can have it.

Rolling is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Super strong thick inner tube

speculatively, I would start with alaska rubber. Maybe this is in the realm of a tank shop application? (tank beng like Greer, not military tank) Some kind of industrial membrane material?
Or, some of the obvious like TDS or BFG shop, might be able to special order some kind of agricultural type?

FZJ-80 Lexus on 35's....if you gotta ask whats a ZJ you can't afford it....
Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Noah
Registered Member

Noah is on a distinguished road

I have some nice rubber roofing material that would be perfect for this. It comes in huge rolls and can be glued to it's self. The glued seams are really strong. I can get you a sample of it if you want.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Logjam
Superchic

Here are pictures of a tube with tread...
Attached Images

After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

let me get you those pics of the rubber covers on my rig for you later today. Half of the tubes have holes in them from the previous owner letting them sit for over a year but the rubber flap that holds them on is pretty much what your describing. The one that holds air supported its side of the vehicle with only like 3-4 psi in it and was pretty tall with the amount of cushion I'm still thinking about ditching the suspension to save weight..

I'm also taking the wheels apart to build a lighter one.

The builder must have had some extra 1" aluminum plate around to build the centers out of I think I will remake them a little lighter when I have the rubber covers off I can bring one by if you want to make a pattern it seams to seal the tubes fairly well and could easily be made larger for a taller tube.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”

Last edited by Rdrash; 07-30-2007 at 04:44 AM.
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Rdrash
Registered Member

Ok here are some closer pics of the tires using some nutplates on the covers I am pretty sure I can seal the tubes of from any mud or dirt getting into the inner part i'll post a pic of a nutplate as well for those that don't know they are used to hold panels on aircraft and can use button head or flush mount machine screws...

the tubes only have about 6 psi in the and really hold the machine up well but are still soft enough that I am really thinking about ditching the suspension and hard mounting the wheels.

pics..

the way the nutplate works is you drill a hole through one material the size of your fastner and then rivet it onto the backside of that surface place the overlapping flap or panel or what ever on top find your hole drill through the top material and then insert your screw or bolt. the nut plates do not fall off and no locking material is needed as the nut on the plate is deformed to hold the screw and they do work well the airframes vibrate enough and they don't lose many fastners...any way a couple nutplates up the seams would really do the trick to keep out mud overlap the flap toward the rear and add a little silicone and I think it would work great and be really cheap at that

right now with the air that has leaked out of the dry rotted tubes they are between 44 and 47 inches tall..

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Last edited by Rdrash; 08-03-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Rdrash
Registered Member

on another thought nutplates can also be used to hold on traction devices what ever hold the nutplate in place does not have to be that strong as once the machine screw or bolt is put in then it takes all the load the rivets are only there to hold the ( nut ) in place while the fastner is out.....

there are a million uses for nutplates on a 4X4 I imagine

Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
Logjam
Superchic

How heavy are those? Wheel and "bag"?

www.brokenyoke.com
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Rdrash
Registered Member

using my hi tech method of picking one up and then standing on a bathroom scale they are aprox. 80 - 90 lbs. and Thats with the wheel being made out of 1 inch thick aluminum.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
langgbob
Registered Member

langgbob has disabled reputation

Pretty Cool how well do they float? mine sink about 3 inchs
langgbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
missouriman
Registered Member

missouriman is on a distinguished road

I am going to try to cut down some 40 inch tsl's that have about 50 percent tread.
sharpen up the edges of the lugs and cut the lugs up.
try to leave enough to put studs in them.
was going to use a soldering iron and heat the studs up some and shove them into the hole made with the soldering iron.

after reading the other guys post to your question.

why not just start off with an inter tube.
if you wanted nobbies on the tubes you could use something like strips of an ATV tire then wrap that self vulcanizing rubber around it.

cut the rubber into strips and wrap it around the tube like you were taping the nobbies on.

wow that didn't make much sense.

the nobbies would go around the outside of the tube and the rubber strips would wrap around such as in around and through the inner tube.
missouriman is offline   Reply With Quote