Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough
Default MYO Foundry

Been toying with the idea of making my own metal melter. Thought it would be something fun to do in the winter time, and kill the cold nose blues. My forge gets pretty hot, and will melt aluminum and led easily. However, I do not want to use it because it runs on propane.

Having read a bunch of material on oil burners, I think I will go that route. Using the waste oil will help keep costs down, as well as providing enough stored energy to melt steel.

I only have a couple ideas on stuff to make, but I believe that more 'projects' will present themselves later on. Right now I am thinking of making some hawse fairleads, and maybe a badass morning star.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MYO Foundry

Jed we need to hook up on this when I get back, if there is one this fall I will try to arrange it so you can come see an iron pour, it takes some serious heat for a good iron pour.

My problem has been finding a durable enough crucible for repeated pours of anything other than aluminum, or brass/copper. I was using pressurized waste oil also and will continue to do so but need to build a better furnace with a proper counter weight top.

Having to monkey around with shoddy equipment while working with molten metal is a recipe for disaster.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
B1
Registered Member

I think there is a pour coming up if I remember correctly. Not sure on the dates yet though. If I have any spare time between bouts of fishing, I will be making a small burner and oven. It will have to be started with propane, but after it warms up, the oil will be turned on and propane off. I'm a cheapskate, so it has to be economically viable to do it. Which means using oil. I think the hardest part is going to be setting up the molds, and making the parts out of wood or foam.

As far as crucibles go, they sell them on the internet for what seems like an ungodly price. I have also read where guys use a steel crucible, but coat it with what they call Marcoat. Or something.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Rdrash
Registered Member

Yeah I end up burning out my steel crucible's, wax is a good way to go for making the mold if you have the original part just cast and imprint in plaster and then you can just keep recasting it in wax complete with vent and sprue and ready built in.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
B1
Registered Member

Wax is expensive.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
B1
Registered Member

I decided not to wait for an old water heater to turn up, so I junked my air tank forge, and made a new forge out of 3K degree bricks. The body of the old forge will become the new foundry.

On a side note, the new brick forge is way better than the previous version.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Time to post some pics of that new bad boy...

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
B1
Registered Member

There's no 'manage attachments' icon in the post section?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Rdrash
Registered Member

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/2521572813.html

$50

Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Josh
Registered Member

Josh is on a distinguished road

Where did you find the bricks?
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
B1
Registered Member

I bought the bricks from a company called E.J. Bartells. They are downtown near the RR.

After firing for the first time, the flame was not consistent. It pretty much woofed like a dog. Until I noticed that the air intake was pointing straight forward. Who woulda thunk, this thing needs oxygen. lol

Just for sh!ts and grins, I melted some wheel weights, and a small piece of aluminum just to see if it would git er dun.

Last edited by B1; 08-23-2011 at 06:14 PM.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
B1
Registered Member

Progress has been slow.

I have the waste oil burner functioning properly though. Thats a start. Now I just need to finish the hotbox.