Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
rednektanker
Registered Member

rednektanker is on a distinguished road
Default truck bed mounted crane/hoist/jib

hey all i am looking to hopefully gain some collective knowledge on the art of making an A frame boom mounted to the bed of a pickup truck, for use with a 3000lbs rated chain hoist.

what do i need to beware of ?

has anyone done something similar/the same thing ?
pointers would be greatly appreciated.

my truck is is the old Jeep J-20, it's GVWR total is 8400 lbs, the front GVWR is 3500 lbs and the GVWR rear is 5500 lbs.

the empty weight of my truck is about 5500 lbs total according to the the scales i went to in Anchorage.

my chain hoist that i have is rated for 3000 lbs.

i have a good idea of how to actually build it, and i can weld it together fairly simply and easily but i have no experience with cranes and the leverage/required strength needed for X weight load at Y distance and so on so forth.

my current plan so far is to build a simple A frame about 10 feet total length with 3 or 4 different bars welded between the two legs for support and adjustable hoist height. i have no idea of what angles i need to keep things stable so any help there is appreciated if it happens to be a critical matter.

i plan on making a square metal frame to fit my trucks bed and wheel wells that i can attach to the bed. i know it needs to be bolted to the frame and have a good idea on how to do that as my truck has 4 very easily accessible bolts to mount the bed to the frame.

also after the angles get sorted out then i need to worry about the support for the A frame itself and at where that support needs to be mounted to the square frame flat in the truck bed.
/
so in my mind it looks like this _______/

but with more of an angle and a support of some sort connecting the top of the A frame to the "foundation frame" if you will.

any ideas or pointers ?
rednektanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Duallie
Registered Member

Duallie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: truck bed mounted crane/hoist/jib

Here is my beater 3/4 ton '71 GMC plowtruck with gin poles:

The gin poles used to be bolted to padeyes welded to the truck frame, but they were always in the way and a pain to unbolt. I built the flatbed a few years ago (when the pickup bed fell off) and modified the padeyes to plug in to sockets so I could remove the poles by myself and without tools. I just shackle a chain to another padeye welded to the front of the bed and to a keyhole on top to change the angle and/or height.
My poles are only 7' ,so 1.5" pipe is enough, but 10' will need at least2 or 2.5".
Another important consideration is to make the poles short enough or long enough so they don't hit the back window. I haven't got around to finishing the rear winch, so I have been using a chain fall for now.

I have picked up and moved around the yard a 2100# chunk of concrete with this setup.

Last edited by Duallie; 06-23-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Duallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
rednektanker
Registered Member

rednektanker is on a distinguished road

**** that's almost perfect.

great rig you have there, i never thought about using chains or making it pivot, i was just going to make a solid mount so i could take it off as needed but that definitely has a lot of merit.

i plan to use it to move random stuff in the yard as well.
rednektanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Those flat belt drill presses are choice! Who made it?
I like your gin pole set up also.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Duallie
Registered Member

Duallie is on a distinguished road

Shack, that is a 1903 Rockford from the old wards cannery here in Kenai.

That poor old truck crane has saved my back daily for a decade!
Duallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Duallie, both are beauties!!I feel the same way about the Babe Magnet (71 Chevy C50 flatbed dump) It is complete with the Swiss Cheese body option, LOL. My Delta drill press (circa 1950) was a pawn shop find, and Delta still makes parts, gotta love American iron.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
88 Raider
Registered Member

88 Raider is on a distinguished road

My Cammo truck had pretty much that same setup before I owned it. But the attachment points are in the rear of the bumper instead of up top in the bed. Alaso makes for great shackle points.

It also had the same attachment points in the front bumper with a super heavy duty homebuilt roolbar lookin thing in the bed with a pulley above the back window and an 8274 in the front center of the bed.
The guy kept the hole setup but said he used the cable to pull himself unstuck front and backwards and the boom pinned on front or back in only a minute.

88' Raider dead 2.6, 5'' lift 33 LTB's. It'll come back

88' 2wd Super-10 TBI 409ci 6.7L go fast. And goes FAST! LockRight, 4.88's and 9 1/4 rear is in the garage

04' Chevy AVEO!!! Red, 5 speed, under drive pulley kit, two 10's, 1.6L, 27x8.50R14 BFG AT's

80' Toyota Flatbed, 20R, W56, Dual Cases, 4.37's, 4" lift, 17/40-15 GUMBO MONSTER MUDDERS
88 Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
02TJ
Registered Member

02TJ has disabled reputation

That drill is awesome!!!!!
02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
subranger

subranger is on a distinguished road

here is mine for more look on my build cant remember what page its on but towards the last few

Last edited by subranger; 10-15-2012 at 05:27 PM.
subranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
wayne_l
Registered Member

wayne_l has disabled reputation

great ideas ..I can see how handy those are moving my parts around .. I was thinking of using a receiver tube on the frame so I can use my hitch mounted winch to raise and lower the gin poles ..
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote