Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road
Default buggy trailer

I got bored and drew this, any thoughts? I figured on using mobile home axles and adapt dc3 tires onto em.
Attached Images

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: buggy trailer

What for? I don't think mobile home spindles will take the side loads that will see. I'd lean toward using something like FF spindles. Watch CL for cheap axles, cut the diffs out and sleeve and/or insert tube.

Also keep in mind there may be times when you have to drop the trailer and turn around to winch it out.

Last edited by snowbear; 12-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
What for? I don't think mobile home spindles will take the side loads that will see. I'd lean toward using something like FF spindles. Watch CL for cheap axles, cut the diffs out and sleeve and/or insert tube.

Also keep in mind there may be times when you have to drop the trailer and turn around to winch it out.

Yeah I wouldn't even chance it with pickup FF I would use a set of rockwell 2.5 ton axles ends and build you set of axles that way.

But to be honest pulling a trailer offroad up here should be avoided unless you have no other choice
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
bigtex
Registered Member

Just a thought been rolling around in my head for awhile...
I still think it'd be cool
Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

I would make the trailer out of whatever model rear axle is in your truck. I would rotate it so the pinion is straight up when its used on the trailer.

Break a shaft slide one out of the trailer axle, shear some lugs you have 16 on the trailer. Worst case scenario you totally grenade the gears just swap the whole trailer axle under your truck.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

I agree james but.... with a complete axle you have to keep oil in hubs and pinion has stay lubricated. So, rolling it up wouldnt work. 2.5t rockwell ends are over kill. I would build a small lifted trailer that uses a lot of the same parts as the vehicle pulling it or I wouldn't pull a trailer at all.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Snowbear may be on to something, Medium duty trucks have extremely heavy duty FF rear axles with bolt on spindles, both single speed and two speed rear axles are built this way and are commonly available.(Cheap) If you decide to go this way I can give you some contact info for a guy that has them.
The issue about keeping oil in a whole FF axle is easily solved, remove the axles and install a cap where the axle flange bolted on, you can still fill the bearing cavity with oil, grease gear lube to keep the bearings happy. Without axle shafts the pinion/differential (if kept) won't be turning.
Probably easiest would be to remove the bolt on spindles and fab a trailer axle out of pipe with a flange on each end to bolt the FF spindles to. The flanges should probably have a machined pilot to slide inside the pipe so the welds will not have to carry the whole sheer load. HTH, Shack

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 12-04-2013 at 09:24 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

jeepnawillys has disabled reputation

But to be honest pulling a trailer offroad up here should be avoided unless you have no other choice[/QUOTE]

care to expand on that?
jeepnawillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
ABNRML
Registered Member

ABNRML has disabled reputation

I also decided I wanted a small trailer for the trail mostly to use as a mobile kitchen for camping trips so mine was very light weight I would suggest to make a list and add up the amount of weight you plan to put in it . Then subtract a bunch its like towing out a dead rig for the whole run.

Side note after pulling this old jeep trailer I can't imagine pulling something as big as what you have in mind on most of our trails just the sharp corners would be a p.i.t.a.

1997 Dakota 5.9L 33/12.50's and a winch

2001 Durango 5.9R/T Stock for now . . .

1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.5" lift 34x10.50 swampers
ABNRML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
bigtex
Registered Member

I thought of something like this mainly for hunting in a large group.
The side rails on a normal deck over are normally 1/4" thick so I dont think pivoting on a tree would be an issue. Considering my flatbed on my truck is essentially the perfect rock/stump slider, I have done complete 90 degree canadian tree turns on the sides of that bed and have yet to dent the sides which are barely 1/8".

I've seen buggies bein built by different people and such so cargo space was another consideration. As for it being big and hard to pull, with WIDE high floatation tires and being hauled with something equipped with v treads OR swampers, I see very few problems.
What about registration and would it fall under the heavy truck tax?

Last edited by bigtex; 12-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
bigtex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Snowbear may be on to something, Medium duty trucks have extremely heavy duty FF rear axles with bolt on spindles, both single speed and two speed rear axles are built this way and are commonly available.(Cheap) If you decide to go this way I can give you some contact info for a guy that has them.
The issue about keeping oil in a whole FF axle is easily solved, remove the axles and install a cap where the axle flange bolted on, you can still fill the bearing cavity with oil, grease gear lube to keep the bearings happy. Without axle shafts the pinion/differential (if kept) won't be turning.
Probably easiest would be to remove the bolt on spindles and fab a trailer axle out of pipe with a flange on each end to bolt the FF spindles to. The flanges should probably have a machined pilot to slide inside the pipe so the welds will not have to carry the whole sheer load. HTH, Shack
Why not use the front axles out of the big trucks such as peterbuilts and whatnot? Just build a track bar to lock the steering straight.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
88 Raider
Registered Member

88 Raider is on a distinguished road

I've had a dream to build a trailer with a front Dodge axle for a long time. Adapting electric steering using heavy duty electric motor home jacks instead of hydraulic rams to help pull it around tight corners and help steer it around obstacles and such.. With a fixed drag link ready to pin on and keep'm straight if anything fails..... Just food for thought..... Also have a crazy idea to adapt an electric winch (cheep used 8k?) somehow, (chain or shaft..) on the axle housing or trailer frame... to power that axle in real bad spots or to help push from a stuck before I run the trucks winch cable out... Using a Dodge Axle with the Center Axle disconnect open for normal towin... Get stuck, flip a momentary toggle witch to lock the axle and to power that winch motor to power the trailer tires, put it in gear and hope foreword progress begging to happen... Once it gets movin let off that momentary switch to free spool that axle and move on to the next hole.....

88' Raider dead 2.6, 5'' lift 33 LTB's. It'll come back

88' 2wd Super-10 TBI 409ci 6.7L go fast. And goes FAST! LockRight, 4.88's and 9 1/4 rear is in the garage

04' Chevy AVEO!!! Red, 5 speed, under drive pulley kit, two 10's, 1.6L, 27x8.50R14 BFG AT's

80' Toyota Flatbed, 20R, W56, Dual Cases, 4.37's, 4" lift, 17/40-15 GUMBO MONSTER MUDDERS
88 Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

A mobile home axle is full floating, so I don't understand what the difference would be other than quality. I think buying a set of 7000lb spindles for $75 each would be better in the long run.
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Shortbed View Post
I agree james but.... with a complete axle you have to keep oil in hubs and pinion has stay lubricated. So, rolling it up wouldnt work.

I thought about that. Would it not work to drill and tap a fill plug on the axle and fill it completly up with gear oil?

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Shortbed View Post
I agree james but.... with a complete axle you have to keep oil in hubs and pinion has stay lubricated. So, rolling it up wouldnt work. 2.5t rockwell ends are over kill. I would build a small lifted trailer that uses a lot of the same parts as the vehicle pulling it or I wouldn't pull a trailer at all.

Use grease instead of Oil , the rockwell ends are not overkill on a trailer with huge tires that is gonna see alot of side loading from the tires scrubbing
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
JRNWasilla
Registered Member

JRNWasilla is on a distinguished road

Walking beams With 4 33"s will follow better than any size tire on a fixed axle. Or even two fixed axles.
JRNWasilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
bigtex
Registered Member

so with all that noise, anyone got a deck over theyd like to volunteer as a guinea pig? As for the crane, a simple ridgid gen pole with turn table like a hay trailer will do until the genny and hydraulics can be sourced. I have a spare 12k hybrid I built a few years ago I can donate to this project.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
Speedo
Registered Member

Speedo is on a distinguished road

Some of the problems with trailers: getting into tight spots where you need to back up and the trailer hinders backing, crossing deep fast water, the trailer will try to go down stream faster than you want to go, on side hills floatation on the trailer tires is not your friend.

I've known several people who used trailers behind tracked rigs because they didn't have enough room on the rigs to haul their gear and meat so they used trailers. Most of them didn't like the trailers but viewed them as a necessary evil.
All of the ones that I've known through trial and error found that tires of 9.00 x 20 were the best compromise size for their uses. One gentleman used a curved bottom on his trailer and the axle went through it so that if the tires didn't give enough floatation it would just slide on the smooth bottom of the trailer when going across a bog, and the tires were skinny enough that it would bite on a slick side hill. I've known people who have tried using trailers with buggies and gave up on them after one season.

Gus
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
ABNRML
Registered Member

ABNRML has disabled reputation

I would like to see it get worked out would be nice for a like trip like out towards glen alen where you might set up camp and adventure out and back for a few days or a week.

1997 Dakota 5.9L 33/12.50's and a winch

2001 Durango 5.9R/T Stock for now . . .

1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.5" lift 34x10.50 swampers
ABNRML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

One issue not mentioned is using an existing vehicle axle is the reduced ground clearance of the center section, usually where you need it most. Something to consider.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
bigtex
Registered Member

So, anybody want to do this project? I think it'd be fun. As for side hilling on flotation tires, my solution is chains.