Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Personal Vehicle > Snowmachine

Snowmachine Fighting, Flaming, or any other form of harrasment will not be tolerated. This is not your typical out of control sled forum. Keep it clean and positive.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough
Default Who knows their stuff with Polaris Liberty motors and IQ chassis?

Picked up an 08 Dragon 800. Has a Mountain Tek fix kit and new block (I'm aware of the wrist pin slap etc). I heard there is an issue with the injectors washing out the rings/cylinder walls? What else? Just want to take care of anything it might need before braaap time...
Old 10-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who knows their stuff with Polaris Liberty motors and IQ chassis?

I'm not super savy on the poos of that gen. There are the issues that you talked about. I'm not familiar with the piston washout issue that you describe.... Personally if I was stuck on a poo, I would have gone for a 700 in those years. Pound for pound you got more bang for your buck, as the 700 was much lighter and and had almost the exact same performance as the 800, without much of the reliability issues. I remember reading all of the shoo- outs with the mountain sleds, and their 700 was right up with the 800, at a friendlier price tag. What track length, and what do you plan to do with it?

One issue I remember reading about on snow west, is that some guys were a little spooked to run their stock fuel map with the update that your sled has. Personally, I've always thought that poo was never able to get a good/reliable fuel map for their 800 in those years. I would seriously think about a boondocker, and learning how to use it.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894

Last edited by Full83size; 10-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

This was a trade. Basically walked away with it with nearly zero money into what I had traded. So, just getting a 700 was out of the question. He said it was remapped, as that the injector pump (?) was turned up on it. Track is a 121, with a 2" paddle. I was originally looking for a crossover sled. But this just happened to fall in my lap. I know I can extend the track if I want. Or just run it like this, this year. Then buy new next year. I'll look at the Boondocker control module (I assume that is what you are talking about). I've read a bit about the mapping issues. Thanks for the insight.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
crdude
Registered Member

crdude is on a distinguished road

We had pretty good luck with the fix it kits.

Iirc the fuel washing the oil off the pistons was more of an issue with the pro 8's.
crdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdude View Post
We had pretty good luck with the fix it kits.

Iirc the fuel washing the oil off the pistons was more of an issue with the pro 8's.
Good to know. Maybe that's why the guy had no idea what I was talking about, concerning that. Then again, why would he if he was offloading it haha. Sled needs a couple things. Hood is pretty rough, and I actually found a hairline crack near the lower "driver side" a arm. Other than that, fires up with a single pull... Does smoke on start up. What oil do y'all recommend? I assume a synthetic?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
crdude
Registered Member

Iv had good luck with amsoil interceptor, I run it in all the sleds iv had with ves. Used to run amsoil HP injector in my non ves sleds back in the day.

Everyone has their preferences.

Some smoke is normal. if its excessive I would look at the oil pump settings, ALOT of people run the oil pump rich to help keep those 800's alive.

Last edited by crdude; 10-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdude View Post
Iv had good luck with amsoil interceptor, I run it in all the sleds iv had with ves. Used to run amsoil HP injector in my non ves sleds back in the day.

Everyone has their preferences.

Some smoke is normal. if its excessive I would look at the oil pump settings, ALOT of people run the oil pump rich to help keep those 800's alive.
Okay, maybe that's what he has turned up. Is it bad to have it turned up? Is there a breaking point on how much you turn it up? Also, the PO said that he usually throws a bit of oil in the gas tank as well. Thoughts on that? I've already heard from Gus to not bother with it... Just figured I'd ask again lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road

Too much oil will just foul up plugs
Old 10-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
crdude
Registered Member

Theoretically, more oil = better lubracation. If its turned up to much, as turk said you will foil plugs like crazy.

From the dealer sleds are sent out with oil in the tank for break in, but after that it shouldn't be needed. though that might have helped on the 2012's which had the issue with washing the pistons clean, I remember talking in person with the polaris ind. reps about that. Haha

Read this thread, looks like some good tips on setting up cfi's.
http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=2330

Last edited by crdude; 10-06-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Killer thread, thanks.