Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
RSOVJR
Registered Member

RSOVJR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Food storage reminder

Strat, you're right.. tons of stuff uses oil in the R&D as well as manufacture of an end product..

But you can't deny that regardless of the "environmental" effects that do occur.... the end result of "going green" with regards to your home, what you CAN do with your vehicle, is of longterm benefit to both you and your family simply because of the reduced costs of operation.

It's just way more cost effective to do it in the lower 48... wintertime here with a full OTG setup would be interesting. Probably better to follow the OTG methods of more modern homesteaders out in the bush, or the old timers who just went without the things that really aren't necessary to have an enjoyable life.
Not quite stock either
RSOVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #27
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

Good idea, tell every body you have a good stock of everything. when the balloon gos up, they will be betting down your door to get at it. When people get dispute they will go to any extreme.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #28
RSOVJR
Registered Member

I have more ammo than I have meals, come get some.
Not quite stock either
Old 06-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #29
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOVJR View Post
I have more ammo than I have meals, come get some.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #30
Dr. Destructo'
Bilge rat

Dr. Destructo' is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
You can't "wean" yourself from oil my friend every comfort and feeling of security in your life is made possible because of oil. Solar panels, geothermal turbines, and commercial windmills are only possible because of OIL. The gravel road you walk to work on was created using OIL. The organic sprouts you buy at Fred Meyer are there because of OIL. You don't have a Nazi flag posted on your front lawn because of OIL. The marijuana you smoke.....yep you guessed it, made possible using OIL byproducts.

The biggest Greenie in the world is fooling themselves if they think oil is not a huge part of their life. This kind of thinking is a mental disorder influenced by a religion called liberalism. Don't get me wrong, as a true conservative in every aspect of my life, I strive to responsibly consume the resources we are blessed with by our Heavenly Father. My point is the dirty little secret of the left wing greenie movement is that they really don't care about the environment, it's all about power and control. The Obama administration has proved this by sitting on their hands as crude oil destroys the gulf!

Please define for me what you mean by "less dependent on oil" and then explain how this equals "more freedom and a better quality of life"? I don't think you can do it because the truth is your statement is nothing more than hot button marketing, a vague utterance with no substance designed to create an emotional reaction in those who can't think for themselves.
Ok, maybe "wean" was the wrong word. It sure got a few in a tizzy What I meant was "reducing" your dependency on Petroleum products.

All thing being equal, as the price of everything "oil" goes up, those with less dependence will enjoy more freedoms than those who will be forced to buy it. The people who have the use of gasoline or diesel as a optional item will have more freedom. If you rely on a car to get to work, to make money, to feed yourself and family, and to make money to pay for fuel to heat your home and get to work again, You are a slave to oil and have less freedom.

All things things made and moved with oil, we have less control of. The best thing there is to reduce your use, and try to buy local. Yet another way to Prepare...

And I think I know who is looking for the emotional response Strat. You do everything but directly call me a "dope smoking Nazi Hippy" which is by the way a funny image, but extremely rude and inappropriate coming from one of our finest and a Christian at that. I am not a Nazi, and I don't smoke dope.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #31
RSOVJR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post

Dude talks about people being prepared being a target, that means that it has crossed their mind to do the same.

Strat's got stuff. Am I planning on linking up with him if things happen? Probably not, I dunno where he lives and we have no linkup procedures.

Unless you have previously made plans for linkup in an incident, I would highly recommend staying away from anyone who actually prepared while you didn't. It'll probably be better/safer/healthier for you to hit up a soup kitchen than expect a significant amount of charity when a survival situation is ongoing.

Your failure/emergency =/= my problem
Not quite stock either
Old 06-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #32
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOVJR View Post
Dude talks about people being prepared being a target, that means that it has crossed their mind to do the same.

Strat's got stuff. Am I planning on linking up with him if things happen? Probably not, I dunno where he lives and we have no linkup procedures.

Unless you have previously made plans for linkup in an incident, I would highly recommend staying away from anyone who actually prepared while you didn't. It'll probably be better/safer/healthier for you to hit up a soup kitchen than expect a significant amount of charity when a survival situation is ongoing.

Your failure/emergency =/= my problem
this
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #33
bigsub
Been there, done that.

bigsub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
this
What does "this" mean?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #34
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsub View Post
What does "this" mean?
That means that I was going to say pretty much the same thing.
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #35
anchak508
Registered Member

anchak508 is on a distinguished road

What about those of us who can just barly afford to keep themselves fat now?

Seriously though... Ive only recently thought about stockin up... incase SHTF...
And since I obviously dont have enough ammo to break into pace's house, I better start stocking up slowly. What I was wondering is, What is the shelf life on all of this stuff you are talking about. I.E Canned goods, Bulk dry goods, Water... Ect Ect..?
TH-350-203-205 triple stick
d60 Highsteer, 14bff Detroit and discs
warn 9.5xp

05' Silverado

Last edited by anchak508; 06-14-2010 at 01:54 PM.
anchak508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #36
RSOVJR
Registered Member

Factory canned foods degrade slowly into an unidentifiable mess. As long as the can isn't rusted or bulging you can generally trust that it'll have some nutritional value.. the quality of the culinary experience will vary.

Bulk dry foods really depend on how you store them. One very good way to store them is to CO2 pack them by using a seal-able container, and dry ice... put a bag in the barrel
put some dry ice (like 1/2 block or so) in-between a couple paper plates in the bottom
put your beans rice wheat or whatever in
put the rest of the block on the top
put the lid on, don't seal
after a couple hours, go seal the lid. CO2 is heavier than air and will displace all the oxygen, making a generally hostile environment for life. your stuff will keep indefinately then

Water gets stale, if you add some chlorine or other purification stuff to it it'll end up tasting like what you added but it will keep longer. It's not a huge deal to rotate your stores if you have lots of cans/bottles/etc. If it's bottled from the store it'll generally keep indefinitely, just keep it in a nice cool dry place so it doesn't get compromised.
Not quite stock either
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #37
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchak508 View Post

Seriously though... Ive only recently thought about stockin up... incase SHTF...
And since I obviously dont have enough ammo to break into pace's house, I better start stocking up slowly. What I was wondering is, What is the shelf life on all of this stuff you are talking about. I.E Canned goods, Bulk dry goods, Water... Ect Ect..?
It depends. some things like wheat when properly stored can last for years. Food storage when done properly is about rotation. take advantage of buying in bulk. use 1 buy 2. do that enough times you will eventually reach your goal. then its about maintaining that level and stock rotation.

when you first start your grocery bills do go up a little while stocking your larder. took me about a year to get 6 months stock. i am maintaining now just shy of a 1 year stock with regular rotation. i hit up costco about once every 4-6 weeks. Freddies or Carrs every other week for fresh produce. it does vary, especially when you add growing kids or the occasional long term guest in the mix.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #38
Strat
Registered Member

Strat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Destructo' View Post

And I think I know who is looking for the emotional response Strat. You do everything but directly call me a "dope smoking Nazi Hippy" which is by the way a funny image, but extremely rude and inappropriate coming from one of our finest and a Christian at that. I am not a Nazi, and I don't smoke dope.
I know your not a Nazi, and I'm glad your not a dope smoking hippy.

I like the idea of being responsible with natural resources and leaving a place better than it was when you arrived. I have no doubt that I am one of the most "green" (I hate that word) people here. I produce my own meat, eggs, milk, vegetables, and other essentials. I even drive old "recycled" vehicles and shop thrift stores whenever I can. It is the left wing hidden agenda that has me upset. They are using the "green movement" to take away your freedoms and liberty, I don't like it when Americans/Alaskans are taken advantage of. I take it personal when I see innocent people victimized.

Pace, I understand what you mean about lowering the cost of operation. The problem is right now is oil has the lowest cost of operation, it is GOVERNMENT that makes it expensive with taxes, both up front and hidden. I think it would surprise most of you to know how little profit there is in a gallon of gas for oil producers. Most of your $3.50/ gallon gos to government in some form.

A few of you have made silly reference to coming over and taking what I have stored up, you don't have to steal it, I would give it to you for free! Heavenly Father has made it known that we need to prepare for ourselves and our neighbors in case of emergency. I have my family covered and have incorporated extra for the people around me. Just like when Jesus fed the multitude with a few fishes and loafs of bread, He will take care of those that are obedient (even if I give it all away). I will take him for His word.

I have very little faith in firearms making the difference in a natural disaster, kindness, mercy, and being prepared before the disaster is my plan. Now please don't be offended if I leave political correctness out of my posts, if you really care about people you should tell it like it is! I think most of you can appreciate that. The rest of you with low testosterone are just going to have to suck it up.

Now get off your @*** and make a plan!

Last edited by Strat; 06-14-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #39
Strat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchak508 View Post

Billy and Pace had good suggestions, start slow and keep plugging along. Before you know it you will have a nice emergency cache. Everything you need to know is on the internet.

p.s.- Don't forget supply's for your pets.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #40
brokentoy
Just a car salesman

brokentoy has disabled reputation

www.foodinsurance.com is a good place to order long-shelf life dry goods from. I think their meals have a shelf life of around 25 years or so. I ordered their 2 week kit just to try it out before I commit to a larger quantity.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #41
Strat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentoy View Post
www.foodinsurance.com is a good place to order long-shelf life dry goods from. I think their meals have a shelf life of around 25 years or so. I ordered their 2 week kit just to try it out before I commit to a larger quantity.
It would be great if you could write a review on your experience.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #42
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentoy View Post
what was shipping like?

i have haven't checked with this site specifically. but several of the others i was looking at about a year ago had horrible shipping policies that were deal breakers for me.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #43
wrangler

Look at: MRE depot.com They have canned bacon, meat, cheese, and butter.
The bacon is great and use the grease to make camp donuts with Pillsbury biscuits. Years ago you could buy the can bacon in alaska.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #44
brokentoy
Just a car salesman

brokentoy has disabled reputation

They will ship via USPS which was only about $25 for the 2week kit. They offer free shipping back in America so you can have larger orders shipped to Span Alaska in Auburn, WA and forwarded up pretty cheap
Old 06-17-2010, 02:11 AM   #45
wrangler

I spoke to the asst. manger at 3 bears on Palmer/Wasilla hwy. She was excited about stocking the bacon in their new sporting goods dept.
She told me about when she was growing up, they always had canned bacon on their moose hunting trips. Hoping it happens. We used to take canned bacon on many of my trips.