Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
brokentoy
Just a car salesman

brokentoy has disabled reputation
Default Another option for water storage

I've been tossing around a bunch of ideas for practical water storage for emergencies. Although it would be cool to have a solar powered well pump and a huge storage tank in the basement, I just don't think that is the most practical way to approach water storage for normal folks limited by funds and resources. I'm thinking about buying a good generator that can run my well pump and provide power for my welder if needed. I also ran across some heavy duty water storage bladders that are made to fit a bathtub and have a hand operated siphon pump. They're cheap at $35/ea and can be left on the shelf until needed.

It would be smart to have enough water on hand to sustain your family immediately for the first 3-5 days of an emergency. During this time, you can run your wellpump off the generator for a short period to fill the water storage bladders in the bathtubs.

If each person in the family needs 1 gallon of water per day and the water bladder holds 65 gallons, a family of 4 living in a house with two tubs would have enough water for at least a month every time the water bladders in the bathtub were filled.

$35/ea for the water bladders, $?? craigslist deal for the generator, a couple 5 gallon cans of gasoline and you're covered. Thoughts?

Blurb from the http://www.mywatersafe.com website:
Watersafe - 65 Gallon Bathtub Model

•Alone, bathtubs arent reliable as emergency water containers.
•Bathtubs leak, get dirty and are hazardous to children.
•The Watersafe is a large, food grade plastic bladder that is placed in the bathtub first and then filled with potable water.
•It will store as much water as your standard tub will hold.
•The Watersafe protects the water from contamination so it is safe for drinking, brushing teeth, bathing, cleaning and flushing.
•Siphon pump is included.
$34.99

Last edited by brokentoy; 09-25-2010 at 12:16 PM.
brokentoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
brokentoy
Just a car salesman

Default Re: Another option for water storage

Another good option to have in place could be a hand operated backup well pump installed alongside your normal submersible pump. This company makes the most affordable one, along with a low draw electric motor you can add on for another $700. The electric motor will run off of one 130 watt solar panel! According the their data, one panel and batteries can supply a normal household with 250gal/day.

http://www.simplepump.com/OUR-PUMPS/Solar.html

Last edited by brokentoy; 06-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.
brokentoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Strat
Registered Member

Strat is on a distinguished road

SWEET, I was looking for a hand pump! Thanks BT.

Now this is the direction we need to be going in!!

My ideas for water storage consist of the generator and small storage containers. I wanted a hand pump but I thought I would need another well, I am stoked to see I dont!
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road

Sportsmans Warehouse has blue plastic 55 gal water storage barrels in Anchorage, I think they are like $70. First time I'd seen them there.
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Duallie
Registered Member

Duallie is on a distinguished road

I have 700 gallons of emergency flushing/bathing water stashed in the hot tub, and it can be made potable via boiling or a microbe filter. That is assuming the generator fails or the waterpump dies or a severe earthquake contaminates or empties the aquifer.
Duallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
brokentoy
Just a car salesman

While exploring options for the Simple Pump setup I came up with a pretty cool setup. You can install the Simple Pump well cap with the low voltage 12V motor and use a single 130 watt solar panel to supply power. Run it through a charge controller to a couple 6V golf cart batteries wired together and it will pump 3.5GPM using the sun and stored battery energy. The pump fills a large storage tank (200+ gal depending on family size/use) with a float control valve so the pump knows when to stop pumping water. You plumb the storage tank into your pressure tank, and use another 12V pump inline to pressurize your pressure tank.

This way you run your well pump on 100% solar power, the relatively low GPM rating is a non issue because you have a large storage tank (and backup water supply), with another 12V pump to pressurize your pressure tank.

Setup cost with everything would be in the neighborhood of $5k, but with no 220V well pump to run, you'd eventually make your $$ back in electricity savings. Not to mention you have a reliable, on demand water supply with or without grid power.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
MasterLeo
Registered Member

MasterLeo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duallie View Post
I have 700 gallons of emergency flushing/bathing water stashed in the hot tub, and it can be made potable via boiling or a microbe filter. That is assuming the generator fails or the waterpump dies or a severe earthquake contaminates or empties the aquifer.
Great use of resources, but do you think there will be any water left in there after a large quake?
MasterLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

I saw a pitcher pump in a catalog for $35.00. that's what the old timers used in there houses. they are used in camp grounds, smaller for house. you used to see them in cowboy movies. that's what i will use. put fitting in well cap, run pipe down, hook pump up, and wall la.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
I saw a pitcher pump in a catalog for $35.00. that's what the old timers used in there houses. they are used in camp grounds, smaller for house. you used to see them in cowboy movies. that's what i will use. put fitting in well cap, run pipe down, hook pump up, and wall la.
Careful, most of those cheap hand pumps only pump static water 20-25 feet.
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote