Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #26
acruxksa
Registered Member

acruxksa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stocking up on Silver and Gold?

All the gold and silver in the world won't keep a person from starving. It's only worth something if people are willing to accept it and if food becomes scarce, would you choose gold over food?

Conspiracy theorists are essentially stocking up on gold and silver in anticipation of a breakdown in social structure. The problem if that is our social structure actually does breakdown, gold and silver become worth less than the tools required to feed your family. Considering that hunting is a pretty popular pastime in Alaska, I'd be more inclined to believe that when someone says stock up on lead and brass, they are talking about hunting game and protecting their food stores from people with wheel barrows full of gold, but no bread, not looting themselves.

I would also point out that if our financial system does in fact collapse, unless you've been paying a premium for actual gold bullion, you're going to lose your money. If you have been paying the premium to get gold/silver coins, you better have a safe and lots of brass and lead because someone is going to try and take it. Gold and silver without brass and lead is kind of pointless in a morally decaying culture on the verge of collapse.

Pre-1965 silver coins are probably the easiest to obtain. Most people likely have a bunch laying around in collections if they just looked for them. Heck even with today's silver prices I still sometimes find them in change given when I purchase something. A pre-1065 silver dime is worth over $2.50 today in silver alone, check your change.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Last edited by acruxksa; 04-13-2011 at 02:59 PM.
acruxksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
Strat
Registered Member

Strat is on a distinguished road

Those who can't afford to buy Gold/Silver better buy food and emergency supplies. I would not worry about hording guns and ammo, there will be plenty of both on hand if there is a collapse, trust me on that one.
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Strat
Registered Member

Strat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
Those who can't afford to buy Gold/Silver better buy food and emergency supplies. I would not worry about hording guns and ammo, there will be plenty of both on hand if there is a collapse, trust me on that one.
That sounds darker than I intended. What I meant is people who spent too much money on guns and ammo will be trading them for fuel, food, and shelter. There will be lots of guns used for barter if there is a collapse in services.
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #29
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

Buy houses!!! The housing market in Anchorage is SOOOO good that you can buy a house 60 days on the market and instantly make $53,000! That's what the muni says!!! Buy houses!!!
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #30
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Logjam,
I believe you had your tongue in cheek when you stated the muni says you can make $53,000 buying houses in 60 days. Our government doesn't have a great track record for investing. Some examples are Delta barley, the Alaska Rail Road, Point MacKenzie Dairy project, Mat Maid Dairy, the Right of Way for the Fire Island project that never happened. LOL Shack
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #31
greenoval
Registered Member

greenoval has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Logjam,
I believe you had your tongue in cheek when you stated the muni says you can make $53,000 buying houses in 60 days. Our government doesn't have a great track record for investing. Some examples are Delta barley, the Alaska Rail Road, Point MacKenzie Dairy project, Mat Maid Dairy, the Right of Way for the Fire Island project that never happened. LOL Shack
How about "Operation Chariot", the plan to use a nuclear explosion to excavate a new harbor somewhere around Point Hope/Cape Thompson?

It is also--
"... difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" --Upton Sinclair
greenoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #32
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operati...iot_%281958%29

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #33
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

No... I can't settle my complaint with the city, so I hope the equalization board isn't crazy.

Bought the place after 60 days in the market. I immediately started a tax assessment appeal because I paid $200,000 less than the assessment.

The city said they will come down $145,000, but not any more.

It makes my head want to explode. We're talking $700 a year in extra payments because I got a "good deal".
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #34
brokentoy
Just a car salesman

brokentoy has disabled reputation

Us debt outlook downgraded to negative by the S&P, manager of the largest US TBill fund dumped $1Billion in treasury bonds and put the money in overseas bonds, Univ. of TX took delivery of $1 Billion in Gold Bullion the other day, Silver is at $46/oz and Gold is at $1510. The writing is on the wall folks, get ready for a wild ride...
Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #35
brokentoy
Just a car salesman

brokentoy has disabled reputation

Silver daily high $49.85. China proposed today to dump nearly 2/3 of its US Treasury debt. The gallon of water I bought at wal mart last night for $.94 was $.64 last week at this time. This train is running out of track, make sure you don't have your head in the sand...
Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #36
acruxksa
Registered Member

acruxksa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentoy View Post
Silver daily high $49.85. China proposed today to dump nearly 2/3 of its US Treasury debt. The gallon of water I bought at wal mart last night for $.94 was $.64 last week at this time. This train is running out of track, make sure you don't have your head in the sand...

Don't look now, but it's $38/oz on May 4th. Dropped $10/oz in less than a week.

Doesn't mean it's a bad investment, just that as with any investment, the potential for losing money is also there.

Give it another couple weeks to hit the low $30's and then it might be a good time to buy.

Last edited by acruxksa; 05-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.
acruxksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #37
RocDoc21
Registered Member

RocDoc21 is on a distinguished road

While some folks take stock in semi useless metals, sharpshooter, cheveep and I took some tangible steps toward securing our future with another not-so-precious-but-almost-expensive-metal

Sharpshooter was nice enough to lend me some space at his place to smelt some lead:

It was just a lazy Sunday watching the lead melt.

The mini non-stick bread pan worked very well:

Few hours later:

Other than getting lead lung, I think we did pretty good!

-----------------------------------
06' TJ Long-Arm Ruby

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
RocDoc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #38
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Not a bad idea.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #39
Polack
Registered Member

Polack is on a distinguished road

hmm, so thats why my stepdad has been collecting buckets and buckets of wheel weights
Polack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #40
RocDoc21
Registered Member

RocDoc21 is on a distinguished road

Hopefully I can continue the lead "recycling" when I get back, my 44 mag eats it like candy.

-----------------------------------
06' TJ Long-Arm Ruby

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
RocDoc21 is offline   Reply With Quote