Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
MasterLeo
Registered Member

MasterLeo is on a distinguished road
Default Kerosene

I picked up an old kerosene heater with spare wick at a yard sale for $3. Great working condition, though a bit old. I'm planning only to use it in case of emergency. Hopefully an earthquake won't shatter the glass. It's wrapped in a thermarest.

I saw some posts about where to buy kerosene in Anchorage, but nothing more recent than 4 years ago according to my search. Where's the cheapest place to fill up? I bought two 5g blue containers at HD, but then I saw the prepackaged 5g metal container at Lowe's. I am planning to store this for a long time (hopefully). Would it be better to get the 5g prepacked stuff, or should I find a place in town to fill my tanks? Would it store better longer in one over the other?

Also, where do I buy the preservative additive?
MasterLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kerosene

# 1 diesel will work in it
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
MasterLeo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
# 1 diesel will work in it
Does that store better than kerosene?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Put in a little bio-cide and it will store great. I will have 100G of emergency fuel(diesel) at home shortly. Will last a long time if treated correctly. And the genny will run for like ever with that much fuel..... Not to mention heat if needed. Or emergency fuel for the truck(only for REAL emergencies, as it would be "illegal").

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLeo View Post
Does that store better than kerosene?
Not really better but its way cheaper then Kerosene .

Diesel will stay good for a long time its not like gas, and there are additives you can put in it to keep the algae from growing
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
acruxksa
Registered Member

acruxksa will become famous soon enough

I use #1 diesel in my kerosene heater. You have to clean it and change the wick more frequently (about every 3-4 months rather than every 6-8 months for mine), but it works fine and is WAY cheaper than kerosene. The other option is jet fuel, but it's even harder to get than kerosene unless you have a connection somewhere.
acruxksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Kero in 5 gallon cans is outrageous IMO. Over $8 a gallon usually. Can't remember the outfit that got all our slop jet fuel at the airport, it was in Palmer though. Don't know if they still do it. We ran our diesels on jet fuel with an additive called LubriBore added at the pump, we had some problems with microbial growth in trucks that saw infrequent use, we found an additive for that, can't remember the name, when it killed the bugs it would clog filters. Difficult to keep Jet fuel (Jet A 50) dry, we were requred by law to do daily water draws on storage tanks. This is true for diesel also, it is hydrophilic( it likes to collect water) Microbial growth occurs in the interface between water and fuel, so it is best to keep it dry as possible. Hope this helps, Shack
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
02TJ
Registered Member

02TJ has disabled reputation

Diesel works good and is readily available.

Put some additive in.

Gelled fuel is a bummer.

Alge growing in a fuel tank sucks too.
02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Rocky
I dont break ****!

Rocky is on a distinguished road

hmmm nobody mentioned that fredmyers and walmart sell it not sure if its cheaper....

I have always seen people mix 50/50 but if your buying it for emergency buy it straight and store it that way.
Who carres about the cost now it will matter when in an emergency what the cost will be!
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
wasillashack
Registered Member

Rocky,
I haven't done any comparison shopping, but Lowes and WalMart sell 5 gallon cans for $42-43. Others may be cheaper, I hope so. Over $8 a gallon!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
joe231
Registered Member

joe231 is on a distinguished road

I worked at a chemical company up here years ago. We made a special blend of kerosene and silicone. We got the kerosene delivered by alaska west I believe. The bill of lading said Kerosene, Jet A, #1 diesel. I asked the driver and he said they all come from the same tank. I'm not sure if there were additives before it made it to the consumer.

You might be able to get Kerosene in bulk from Inlet Petroleum...

Chevy Only
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

We just pulled an old can of kerosene out of an old garage that hadn't been touched since the early 80's at least. transferred it to a newer can since the exterior was questionably rusty. it burned just fine, didn't see any "floaty's" in it. How long does kerosene keep anyway's?
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
murphyslaw
Registered Member

It will keep for years, just like diesel. But it needs to be put in a sealed(like very much so) container dry. If it is a sealed container, is dry to start. and the container is dark. it should store indefinitely.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
murphyslaw
Registered Member

BP Fuel News
LONG TERM STORAGE OF DIESEL
Issued : February 7, 2002 ADF1402
Supersedes : February 14, 2000 Page 1 of 3
BP Australia Limited
A.C.N. 004 085 616
Marketing Technical Services
STORAGE LIFE
Under normal storage conditions diesel fuel can be expected to stay in a useable condition
for:
• 12 months or longer at an ambient of 20ēC.
• 6-12 months at an ambient temperature higher than 30ēC.
As diesel gets older a fine sediment and gum forms in the diesel brought about by the
reaction of diesel components with oxygen from the air. The fine sediment and gum will
block fuel filters, leading to fuel starvation and the engine stopping. Frequent filter changes
are then required to keep the engine going. The gums and sediments do not burn in the
engine very well and can lead to carbon and soot deposits on injectors and other combustion
surfaces.
The expected life of a diesel fuel is indicated by the oxidation stability test ASTM D2276.
The test measures how much gum and sediment will be deposited after keeping the fuel at
120°C in the presence of oxygen for 16 hours. It roughly corresponds to one year storage at
25°C. A result of less than 20mg/L of sediment and gum after the test is considered
acceptable for normal diesel.
ACCELERATED AGEING
The ageing process can be accelerated by the following conditions:-
• Contact with zinc, copper or metal alloys containing them. These metals will quickly react
with diesel fuel to form unstable compounds.
• The presence of water. Water allows the growth of fungus and bacteria, these produce
natural by-products such as organic acids which make the fuel unstable.
• Exposure to high temperatures.
• Exposure to dust and dirt which contain trace elements that can destabilise the fuel, such
as copper and zinc.
• Fuel composition. Some components in diesel fuel naturally age quickly.
PROLONGING THE STORAGE LIFE
Prolonging the storage life is achieved by removing or controlling the conditions described in
the previous section. Important measures to take are as follows: Issued : February 7, 2002 ADF1402
Supersedes : February 14, 2000 Page 2 of 3
BP Australia Limited
A.C.N. 004 085 616
• Ensure that the fuel is not in contact with any surfaces containing zinc or copper or
compounds containing those metals (eg. brass). If those metals are present then a metal
deactivator additive may help.
• Establish a regular fuel maintenance program to ensure that water and dirt is removed
from storage tanks. This will also remove any chance for fungus to grow.
• Water should be drained from the storage tanks weekly. The frequency can be extended if
the tank shows no tendency to collect water but should be done at least monthly.
• Tanks should be kept full to reduce the space for water to condense, maintaining tanks
half full increases the water build up and promotes corrosion in the top half of the tank.
Most water will come from condensation as the tank breathes, the rate at which water
collects will depend on local climate and will be higher in hot humid coastal areas.
• Tanks should have a well defined low point where water will collect and can be drained.
For example, cone down bottoms.
• Establish a system for filtering the contents of the main storage tank through a
recirculating filter system. This can be made automatic and will reduce the potential for
problems by removing sediment and gums. The filters should be checked and changed at
regular intervals. When the filter change interval reaches a certain frequency then the fuel
should be changed over.
• Tanks should be emptied and cleaned at least once every 10 years, or more frequently if
there is a major contamination.
• Ensure that the fuel supplied conforms to a recognised specification, in Australia that
would be AS3570, and ensure the fuel matches the winter cloud point for the area to avoid
filter blocking by wax drop out in cold weather. .
• Always purchase fuel to replenish stocks in the winter season April - August. This will
ensure that the fuel will not cause wax problems whatever season it is used.
• Obtain assurances from the supplier that all components are fully refined to promote
stability.
• Establish a monitoring program whereby samples are taken at regular intervals to monitor
the condition of the fuel. The samples can be examined at the site visually for evidence of
haziness, sediment, darkening or sent to a laboratory for testing.
• Regularly turn the fuel over. If possible, plan the fuel usage so that it will all be used
within 1-5 years and replaced with fresh fuel.
ADDITIVES TO IMPROVE STORAGE LIFE
The following additives can improve fuel storage life: Issued : February 7, 2002 ADF1402
Supersedes : February 14, 2000 Page 3 of 3
BP Australia Limited
A.C.N. 004 085 616
• Metal deactivators. These work by stopping copper, zinc and other reactive metals from
reacting with the fuel.
• Fungicides/Biocides. These work by stopping fungus and bacteria from growing in the
fuel and so prolong the life of the fuel. They are only effective on fungus and bacteria and
will not stop other oxidation reactions from taking place. They are normally active at the
water fuel interface where the fungus and bacteria grow. If fungus is present then a kill
dose is required. Otherwise a maintenance dose is used to stop fungus growing. The
disadvantages of biocides are:
• handling and mixing is hazardous because they are poisons.
• for a kill dose, killing the fungus can lead to a build up of dead matter which will
block filters and also cause the fuel to oxidise.
• ideally, the fungus should be killed and then the tank emptied and drained out.
• maintenance doses are effective but no more so than regular water draining.
• disposal of water bottoms requires special handling with due regard to the
environment.
• Anti-Oxidants. These work by stopping the oxidation processes from taking place. They
prevent the fuel oxidising and reduce the formation of sediment and gum.
• Fuel Stability Foam. FuelKleenik is a stability foam which is suspended in the diesel fuel
in the tank. It has been developed and tested by Department of Defence and is claimed
to keep the fuel stable for up to 10 years. The disadvantages are:
• it does not work where fungus and water are present which is why it is suspended
in the fuel.
• its size is 2100mm x 200mm x 200mm so it has to be dropped in through a hatch.
After 15 years it has to be disposed of to landfill.
FuelKleenik is available from a company called FuelTreat ph 1800 034442

Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
MasterLeo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
If you keep the cans out of the weather and somewhere that is decently warm (basement, crawlspace, garage, etc) the fuel will keep for darn near forever. I wouldn't bother with any additives.
Isn't it a major fire hazard to keep fuel in the garage? I have about 10g of gas with Sta-Bil stored outside in plastic jugs under a canopy, and 5g in the garage in a metal jerry can. I was going to put the kerosene outside with the gas. I have dirt in my crawlspace. Maybe I could dig them into the dirt for fire safety.

Why is warm better than cold for fuel storage? I'm assuming it has to do with moisture.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
murphyslaw
Registered Member

Its not necessarily the temp, but the temp swings. a constant temp is better for the stability of petro as well as keeping it from condensation. If you can keep it cold that is best. But outside temps don't stay the same. So a steady inside temp is better then an inconsistent outside temp. I keep two drums of diesel in my garage. As long as they are sealed its not a fire "Hazard" but if the house is on fire, it becomes dangerous for firefighters like myself. That is also Why On the garage I have posted "Danger, Hazardous area" And list the large quantities of chemicals I keep in there. Diesel, Gas, Propane. It is also known by most of the people on the dept that stuff is there.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
MasterLeo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyslaw View Post
BP Fuel News
LONG TERM STORAGE OF DIESEL
Issued : February 7, 2002 ADF1402
This is great. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
wasillashack
Registered Member

Murphyslaw,
Thanks for the BP fuel bulletin. at the airport we were governed by even stricter regulations- Air Transportation Agency (ATA 103) We had to perform Freeze point lab testing, water draws on in service tanks and Milipore tests for suspended solids, DAILY, tanks that had been filled had to sit indisturbed for 24 hours before putting them in service, to allow settling.

We are talking about tanks holding 100's of thousands of gallons of Jet A.

We averaged almost 3 million gallons per day in peak seasons.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
RocDoc21
Registered Member

RocDoc21 is on a distinguished road

I know a guy back in Tennessee that has tanks of fuel (diesel and gasoline) in plastic 50 gallon drums. I remember him using argon from his MIG welder to purge the drums and then sealed them under low pressure argon.

I can imagine he still hasn't touched them, last time I saw those drums was 8 years ago.

-----------------------------------
06' TJ Long-Arm Ruby

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
RocDoc21 is offline   Reply With Quote