Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough
Default What are you looking for?

What are your triggers for deciding if it is time to get out of dodge, so to speak?

For me I have a couple.

1. Any form of military deployment in a non humanitarian effort, again US citizens. I am not talking about Katrina or containing Occupy protest's. I am talking more serious than that.

2. Suspension of the 2nd ammendment in any form.

3. Any Nuclear event.

4. Zombies....hahaha
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What are you looking for?

media blackouts. grid down scenarios. some pandemic scenarios(most i would just bug in). natural disasters (to avoid the aftermath if possible).

had a panic moment about 4 years ago at work. electrical, gas, landlines, internet, and most cellphones went down without warning. roadwork knocked into a gas line and they shut down everything for several blocks in south anchorage.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

The grid down happens here often. Gets windy and we loose power and phone sometimes for 4-5 days. No power means no water too.

It's one reason I have a woodstove and also a gen set. Also found out without power all the ice melts in my freezer, leaks out the dispenser and ruins a 2000$ laminate floor.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 06-19-2012 at 04:40 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Dr. Destructo'
Bilge rat

Dr. Destructo' is on a distinguished road

Lucky for us, I think AK will have a buffer from any sort of event. A little extra time maybe.
If it's a quick thing, you need to be a little more on the ball down Oregon way.

Anything short of Martial law or a Nuke/emp event and I'll just work my way home and bug in...

Otherwise, depends on where my ship is...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
The grid down happens here often. Gets windy and we loose power and phone sometimes for 4-5 days. No power means no water too.

It's one reason I have a woodstove and also a gen set. Also found out without power all the ice melts in my freezer, leaks out the dispenser and ruins a 2000$ laminate floor.
If you did as I did you would have water from your well and run the whole house. get a transfer switch and a 7,000 Watt generator. I can run anything in this house. have a good supply of gas on hand too. If the power gos out I can shower, watch TV etc. Using my transfer switch, it cost me $900.00 to have it installed. If we lose natural gas, I have a wood stove too and 2 cords of wood. Say what? Be prepared.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

I need to get a wood stove . That said, food is the most serious problem living within 50-100 miles of anchorage. At any given time, there is only about 1-2 weeks of food available in anchorage as we pretty much depend entirely on food that is trucked up from the states. That said, of course most people think they might just shoot the moose they see around their place when facing starvation. The problem is that most people have the exact same plan. All of the moose in the anchorage Minicipality will pretty much disappear in 24 hours after the 2 week food supply runs out. 300,000+ people and roughly 1500 moose (being conservative)? Those aren't good numbers...

Even when I think of the cabin in Petersville, you might have a little more time, but most of those people would probably kill off the moose in a matter of weeks in those areas when facing starvation. This coupled with a possible winter time scenario, the moose population within 150 miles of anchorage would be destroyed in a matter of weeks without even near enough food to go around. Not trying to be negative nancy, but those are the cold hard facts when an entire state relys on getting almost 100% of its food suppl from out of state and only having roughly 2 weeks worth of food on the shelves.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote