Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #26
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bug out Bag: A thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ View Post
I do have a couple quick clots but I would only use them as a last resort. I am with Pace.

For my BOB medical supplies I am not overly concerned with gunshot wounds although they are a possibility. I am more worried about chopping my own hand with my Paxe. That is way more likely.

Anyone stumble across a pack like the Mystery ranch but about 3/4 to 1/2 the size? I am thinking of something about 3 times the size of a CLS bag for you military folk. I will post up if I find anything I like. It does not have to be Tacticool, but would be nice if it came in a color other than bright red.
Agreed. I have compression bandages as well, but I keep the quikclots with me in my hunting kits in case of a gunshot wound. It would only be a last resort. RSOVJR, would you elaborate? I am interested to learn on the matter.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #27
RSOVJR
Registered Member

RSOVJR is on a distinguished road

http://www.z-medica.com/healthcare/P...bat-Gauze.aspx

Combat Gauze is gauze that's impregnated with a mineral that assists in clot formation.

It's a single physical roll of gauze that you can easily pack a wound with, rather than f'ing around with either powder or other stuff. It Works.

Quikclot in powder form is an absolutely horrid thing when it comes to wound care because of the amount of painful debridement that will have to occur above and beyond what you'd have to clean out with either non-coagulant-enhanced materials, or hemcon/celox/combat gauze/etc.

I'll be honest, if you need more stuff than what a CLS bag can pack in the woods, you're doing it wrong... not meant as a joke, but if you have emergency trauma bandages (isralies) you can use them as bandages for all sorts of things, ace bandages for sprains, pseudo-tourniquet... combat gauze is a specific wound care item for GSW's or penetrating trauma that requires significant intervention compared to your other stuff. Same with TQ's (and those should be on your kit so you can toss it on first since it's not like a GSW just goes from ooze to big bleeder, it's party time at the getgo)

electrical tape, gauze pads, ETD's, combat gauze, tq's on your worn gear, couple cravats, couple rolls of gauze, sharpie to use your patient as a notepad for vitals if things are that bad, gloves, EMT shears.... and oral medications (immodium, excedrin, some cough drops). Toss in a quilted emergency blanket for exposure injuries and you should be cash money.
Not quite stock either
RSOVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Pace your experience and expertise is greatly appriciated. I learn a thing or two every time you post on this topic.

I do need something bigger than a CLS bag for my BOB. You have to take into account I am trying to keep my family sustained for a decent period of time. I have 5 people total. For a single incident I agree a CLS bag is more than enough. I posted everything I have in my med kit in another thread it is not crazy, but it is bigger than a standard first aid kit for sure.

I am wanting some pretty decent medicine storage for anti boitics, Ibuprofin, Accetomenophine, Immodium etc etc. I am not even thinking about cardiac medicines or anything like that, I am not trained enough for that stuff. However enough for 5 people to move to our BOL might take as short at 10 hours (if I can drive)or as long as 2 months (if we had to walk the entire way). We have one HUGE obstacle in the way to our final BOL (Columbia River). We do not have to go through many towns if we walk, but we do have some serious ground to cover.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOVJR View Post
http://www.z-medica.com/healthcare/P...bat-Gauze.aspx

Combat Gauze is gauze that's impregnated with a mineral that assists in clot formation.

It's a single physical roll of gauze that you can easily pack a wound with, rather than f'ing around with either powder or other stuff. It Works.

Quikclot in powder form is an absolutely horrid thing when it comes to wound care because of the amount of painful debridement that will have to occur above and beyond what you'd have to clean out with either non-coagulant-enhanced materials, or hemcon/celox/combat gauze/etc.

I'll be honest, if you need more stuff than what a CLS bag can pack in the woods, you're doing it wrong... not meant as a joke, but if you have emergency trauma bandages (isralies) you can use them as bandages for all sorts of things, ace bandages for sprains, pseudo-tourniquet... combat gauze is a specific wound care item for GSW's or penetrating trauma that requires significant intervention compared to your other stuff. Same with TQ's (and those should be on your kit so you can toss it on first since it's not like a GSW just goes from ooze to big bleeder, it's party time at the getgo)

electrical tape, gauze pads, ETD's, combat gauze, tq's on your worn gear, couple cravats, couple rolls of gauze, sharpie to use your patient as a notepad for vitals if things are that bad, gloves, EMT shears.... and oral medications (immodium, excedrin, some cough drops). Toss in a quilted emergency blanket for exposure injuries and you should be cash money.
I think I understood about half of that . Good information. The Quikclots I have are in the pouch for direct application to the wound, not the loose powder form. Where can a guy get some good quality Combat Gauze? I made up my own kit by adding to a small first aid kit I purchased, but would much rather have the real thing.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #30
RSOVJR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ View Post
Pace your experience and expertise is greatly appriciated. I learn a thing or two every time you post on this topic.

I do need something bigger than a CLS bag for my BOB. You have to take into account I am trying to keep my family sustained for a decent period of time. I have 5 people total. For a single incident I agree a CLS bag is more than enough. I posted everything I have in my med kit in another thread it is not crazy, but it is bigger than a standard first aid kit for sure.

I am wanting some pretty decent medicine storage for anti boitics, Ibuprofin, Accetomenophine, Immodium etc etc. I am not even thinking about cardiac medicines or anything like that, I am not trained enough for that stuff. However enough for 5 people to move to our BOL might take as short at 10 hours (if I can drive)or as long as 2 months (if we had to walk the entire way). We have one HUGE obstacle in the way to our final BOL (Columbia River). We do not have to go through many towns if we walk, but we do have some serious ground to cover.

Everyone has a first aid carrying 3 mag pouch with just some simple ALICE gear or what have you... that means everyone's got initial gsw work right on them, and you can further focus on the more esoteric medical needs. Maybe get the missus a medic pack and have her hump that, and you mule all the other stuff...
Not quite stock either
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #31
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOVJR View Post
Everyone has a first aid carrying 3 mag pouch with just some simple ALICE gear or what have you... that means everyone's got initial gsw work right on them, and you can further focus on the more esoteric medical needs. Maybe get the missus a medic pack and have her hump that, and you mule all the other stuff...
That is a good thought...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #32
RSOVJR
Registered Member

I'm just thinking in the manner of group based evac.

Example: Depending on the mission profile, having been the RTO, I'd see that the PSG and Medic would end up crossloading gear.. specifically, snivel and stuff that the medic couldn't carry in his medic PACK due to size, would end up going in the PSG's pack... plus, as the medic, he needed to stay a smidge lighter due to the necessity of the job and being able to remain mobile.

It's a thought... depending on individual loads.
Not quite stock either
Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #33
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road

I've followed this thread for years

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/5...e_.html&page=1
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
alaskangiles
Registered Member

alaskangiles is on a distinguished road

My .02....

If this is a "get home bag"? Seems a bit much, good dry cloths and boots are a must. As in, not in your rig if you take off away from your rig and only grab your bag.....

Communication via battery or rechargeable someting or another isn't a bad idea. "If" Zombie's aren't around yet, I'd personally like to let some folks know that I'm ok.

I can live off Cliff bars for 72 hours? No need for fishing gear... I'd trade that space for some water filter of some sort and/or some gatorade packets.

As far as first aid.... I hate this part because everyone "thinks" they're a doctor. Yes, some are army proof....some are not. If your not familiar with it? Don't use it! There are good and bad books out there that are great for the back of a toilet to help you learn what all is out there. And with it being a medical "practice" it changes daily. There are plenty of things you can buy off the shelf or through your buddy list that can do more damage than good, IF you don't know what your doing. Super glue is always a good bet along with there never being enough tape and gauze.

I can go on for days about this stuff... I talk "crazy" all day/every day for the past 4/5 years. EVERY kit should be different, because WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. And you should have a few different kits for the seasons.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

"Go ahead skin that smoke wagon and see what happen's"

My butt itches and my finger stinks.
alaskangiles is offline   Reply With Quote