Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough
Default First Aid Kit

About a month ago while I was in Tok I slipped on ice while walking the dog and busted open my elbow. Was dumping what seemed like gallons of blood.
I had a first aid kit in the truck, but I quickly found out it was complete crap. I don't think I could have fixed a paper cut even. I ended up using a bunch of paper towels and some duct tape to make a ghetto bandage until I found someone with a decent kit.

Last week I helped a man after he hit a moose. Luckily I had a bunch of clean rags, water, and duct tape in the car. I was able to wet them down and wrap up his head (stuff was coming out... brains?) and the bones/meat sticking out of his arms. Proper bandages would have been much better.

I don't need a $100 kit that would allow a person to do brain surgery in the woods. Just the basics to stop/slow bleeding so I don't get my truck all bloody while driving to the hospital.

Anyhow, something like this worth a darn?

http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Tact...rds=trauma+kit

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 06-20-2013 at 01:06 AM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Aid Kit

That would be a good start take that stuff and toss in some israeli bandages and a cat tourny or two a couple gauze rolls some 4X4's and a sam splint and it would be close to what I carry.

Ask to see it next time your around me when Im in the red car or out in the woods

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
MrsRsov
Registered Member

MrsRsov is on a distinguished road

Check around on Galls (<-----clicky link). They are well known in the EMS field, I've ordered many things from them back in my active Paramedic days.
MrsRsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
alaskangiles
Registered Member

alaskangiles is on a distinguished road

Nate, you know I've steered lots of folks on there "kits". With what your doing for a living now, you need to sign up for a couple classes. It might seriously save your life. Don't need to go full EMT coarses or anything, but there are some basic classes out there and it's an ever changing field. Thanks to our military, our medical practice is becoming relatively easy. And anything easy to do, is easy to fawk up! Could do more harm than good with some of the over-the-counter first aid these days. Quick-Clot for example, can run down to Sporty's or REI and get some. If it was in your kit, you may have used it. Then ended up in the Surgeons room getting a skin graph. By the way, REI has some really well set up kits and the staff is pretty well informed. They can usually answer any questions you might have and help you pick out what one you may need. I believe they have schedules on classes there also. I'm not saying you have to spend your money there, but it would be a good start. After you do a class or two, I'll send you a care package.

List for a good start

Electrical tape (you can redo/reuse if needed)
Gauze, gauze, and more gauze (all sizes)
Simple eye wash kit
Bandaids (I carry mostly finger, elbow, and knee ones)
SAM splint
Ace wrap (Velcro style)
Bandana or two
Peroxide
Anti bacteria ointment
Twesers
TP
Tums
Some sort of pain relief
Liquid bandaid/second skin (probably what I use most out of mine)
Super glue (maybe I use this the most...)

I have it all in that backpack you never see me without. In the winter it goes inside with me so the things that can freeze, don't. Odds are you have most of these things already around the house. Do yourself a favor and put them in ziplock bags so if one opens, it doesn't ruin everything else. If you have bad allergies, might wanna throw that in as well. Maybe an extra eye wash kit as well as ear plugs and eye pro. Just be sure to be aware of experation dates on the things in your kit. With me and my two boys, I don't have to worry about things going bad. I have more of an issue of not replacing things after they get used. Which is worse than using something expired in most cases.

Most of all, NEVER help anyone else UNLESS trained to do so! I've handed things to people in pretty rough shape and told them to use them thereselfs. No harm in that. But if I put it on them and something went wrong.....today's "free money world" is never free.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

"Go ahead skin that smoke wagon and see what happen's"

My butt itches and my finger stinks.
alaskangiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
nate
Registered Member

Between the Scouts and the .mil training I'm pretty much up to speed on what needs to get done. Granted I'm not going to be able to do field surgery, but I can at least slow the bleeding enough till the amberlamps gets there.

I was going to put a kit together with stuff from the 907 Surplus but that new owner is a grade A dooucher. I called to see if they could put together something for me so I could just stop and and pay for it without spending 3 hours there. I may as well have asked for an M1 Abrams tank and a few cases of grenades.

I tried to order the Amazon kit and they won't ship it to Alaska.

There are laws to protect people against being sued for helping out. Sure if the guy has a back/neck injury and I drag him 200ft or force him to walk, maybe in that cause... now if it's because the car is on fire and it's either burn alive or be paralyzed... well... he's gonna have parking near the door at Walmart. Sorry, but at least he didn't get turned into BBQ.

Walking in REI makes me itch and burn all over from all the dirty hippies! I'll check at Sporty's though. I need to buy a new tent anyway, I did the Hulk smash to the one I have after I couldn't get the door unzipped and I was about to pi$$ myself.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 06-21-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Right, common sense on helping people. If they can do it, let them is what inwas saying.

On Jeremy, well.....some day some one will give him what he deserves.

Sporty's is basically a Walmart for outdoor gear now. Suck it up and go to REI. As soon as you walk in, turn right. All the tents and first aid stuff are back there. There's also an awesome return policy for members. And in the frontbright corner is all the returns. Guessing there's a couple dozen tents up there. It's usually more of that upper hillside croud in there. At least you'll get an idea, then if you don't like it you can just order from there online site. Email me your addy

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 06-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
kbeefy
Registered Member

kbeefy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
There are laws to protect people against being sued for helping out.
Good Samaritan law/act I believe

I made a 'blog'!!

'00 F350 7.3, Really big trailer
'86 VW Syncro Vanagon, 2.5l subbie transplant
I only own one of the below vehicles anymore.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
nate
Registered Member

I like online, won't have to drive into Los Anchorage that way. I'm on a mission to NEVER go back there unless it's to the airport or VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
Right, common sense on helping people. If they can do it, let them is what inwas saying.

On Jeremy, well.....some day some one will give him what he deserves.

Sporty's is basically a Walmart for outdoor gear now. Suck it up and go to REI. As soon as you walk in, turn right. All the tents and first aid stuff are back there. There's also an awesome return policy for members. And in the frontbright corner is all the returns. Guessing there's a couple dozen tents up there. It's usually more of that upper hillside croud in there. At least you'll get an idea, then if you don't like it you can just order from there online site. Email me your addy

Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I like online, won't have to drive into Los Anchorage that way. I'm on a mission to NEVER go back there unless it's to the airport or VA.
I'll second that! Lol, think I'll make it longer...

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Nate, there is a local guy in a-town who has a survival company. I'll get his name and number if you want. Apparently he has a pretty good kit, and can customize anything you want. I'm sure he'd deliver if you want, or I can pick it up for you and you can meet me in the crack.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
nate
Registered Member

Found one under the sink in the bathroom while looking for clean towels. Forget where it came from, the Asspirin expired in 2006 so I guess I've had it for a while. Has a decent assortment of bandages, pills, tweezers, quick clot, etc.

Came in handy a few days ago, sliced the crap out of my thumb on a chain while adjusting it on the bar. Guess I sharpened that one a bit too much. Cut right through a 2 hr old pair of gloves too

Last edited by nate; 07-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Thunderbear
Registered Member

Thunderbear has disabled reputation

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medi.../dp/B008MZZHG2

Thats what I carry, with the addition Celox clotting agent, ultralight bivy, clif bars, chemlight, immodium, tums and nyquil.
Thunderbear is offline   Reply With Quote