Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #51
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Alaska compared to the lower 48, wheeling

It was -9 last night in Anchorage, and I heard somebody saw -17 on their commute this morning. As I type this, we are at 1, and Palmer is -10. -20 isn't common, but it's not rare either. (Unlike Fairbanks, where it's common.) Staying for winter is a different analysis.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #52
kbeefy
Registered Member

kbeefy is on a distinguished road

You don't need chains on any public/state road unless you have really bad summer tires on your rig. especially if it's 4wd. Location is going to dictate alot of it, but anywhere except for southeast will benefit drastically from dedicated winter tires. Whatever they are.

As far as engine/drivetrain prep, also depends on where you are.

In anchorage, a freezeplug and/or oilpan heater are sufficient. Run them on a timer that kicks on 2 hours before you want to go anywhere and your good.

If it's super cold (fairbanks or the rare occasion it gets really cold in Anchorage)(or anywhere interior in the winter) then leave it plugged in all night. Batt Blanket and tranny heater is advised. As well as an interior heater if you actually want to get into it. For the Sub I'd add an auxiliary cabin heater. The soft/no top jeep stays parked for cold winter days. A Mojave heater makes a soft-top jeep doable in the winter, be prepared. I drove soft-top jeeps for years.

I made a 'blog'!!

'00 F350 7.3, Really big trailer
'86 VW Syncro Vanagon, 2.5l subbie transplant
I only own one of the below vehicles anymore.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #53
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

Winter isn't too tough here in South Central. I have circulating block heaters on the vehicles and run full syn oil. I have an 500w oil pan heater that I use on the heavy equipment cause I leave them filled w/30w. If you go w/oil pan heaters make sure they are regulated w/a thermostat. My magnetic one will boil the oil. No heat on tranny this far south. Just decent all wx tires are fine. Wide tires on a short wheel base will make for a squirrelly ride.

The important thing is to just get your a$$ up here and you'll figure all this out as the time goes by.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #54
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
It was -9 last night in Anchorage, and I heard somebody saw -17 on their commute this morning. As I type this, we are at 1, and Palmer is -10. -20 isn't common, but it's not rare either. (Unlike Fairbanks, where it's common.) Staying for winter is a different analysis.
Yeah we had those - teens day & night before last. Not common but not unheard of where we live. -5f right now
Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #55
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

jeepnawillys has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post

The important thing is to just get your a$$ up here and you'll figure all this out as the time goes by.

yeah the only way to truly learn is do it. thats why iam comming up. wish i could fast foward to may. ill probably trt to settle in for the winter in south east or anchorage area. talked to my uncle and he just runs pads on the motor on timmers there in anchorage. he also recommends winter tires. the reason for the sub is so i can haul some more personal stuff for my winter stay and so i have it to drive. yeah short wheel base and a lot of tire is not fun in slick stuff.
i jate soft top. always flaping and the windows get all scratched up. i have a meyers steel top and soft doors. if i cant buy a pair off a friend. ( he sold his early jeep and never had a top). ill get to build some. but the jeep will get used for wheeling and lil trips.
now on oil I run 20w50 multi weight chevron in all my motors. conventual atf in the trans and subs 241 t/c, 85/140 in the diffs and Lubrication Engineering monolec in the jeeps dana 18 and the rear end with the 5.38s. i know i need to drop the diff and motor oild down but to what? what about the atf? going to email LE about there mono lec in the cold.. i really like the stuff. can you buy chevron oils up there? i think you call there stations NANA? was going to carry some LE mono lec for the jeeps rear diff and t/c changes and top offs. any ideas on how to do a mobile oil change with to shop? most auto parts stores in the city down here wont let you pop the hood. but the mom and pops shops will lend you tools and help if you need it. ill have the tools,just want a spot that om to do it and a place to recycle the oil. being the young buck I am my idea is find a small gas or service station that i can trades some labor/shop clean up for a place to change my fuilds. the sub gets changed every 5k so I shoul make it to my family for thats change. but going to a semi float in the jeep i want to change the rear end at 3k or so. that lil pinion gets moving. thanks again for all the help.

A optimist hopes things will go right, a pessimist thinks things will go wrong and a realist KNOWS things will go wrong.
jeepnawillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #56
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Worry about all that crap when you arrive.

I've never even heard of 20w50 engine oil. I run 5w40 Rotella in everything.

What is the deal with the dog food? "Iam"

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 12-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #57
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Worry about all that crap when you arrive.

I've never even heard of 20w50 engine oil. I run 5w40 Rotella in everything.

Nate, I run 20W-50 in my CJ-7 for the summers since the SBC 350 has low pressure. I'll drop it to 10W-40 when it has to run in the winter.

The 401 has lower warm pressure than I'd like too, but I tend to stick with high-ZDDP oils like Valvoline VR1 to keep my lifters and cam-lobes happy. Unfortunately, that only comes in a couple flavors. I've got VR1 20W-50 in it right now (which means I won't be leaving it parked outside anytime soon).

Castrol makes a synthetic 5W-50, but it's lower in ZDDP than I'd like. It used to be all that I ran until I started reading up on oil blend changes and flat-tappet cam/lifters.

Either way, Rotella is relatively high in ZDDP, and 5W-40 is a good all-around choice.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #58
grizz660
Registered Member

grizz660 has disabled reputation

Big stickers under the hood saying run 20w-50 on all ford rangers except the old large rangers.
grizz660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #59
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

iam lots, you referring to my grammar/spelling skills? or lack of

iam just trying to get my head wrapped around this cold stuff. thanks again all.

A optimist hopes things will go right, a pessimist thinks things will go wrong and a realist KNOWS things will go wrong.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #60
Derby6
Registered Member

Derby6 is on a distinguished road

If you bring the burb, no worries, but if its just the jeep you have to have a top. Hard or soft, it doesn't matter, but it is a neccessity as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnawillys View Post
iam just trying to get my head wrapped around this cold stuff.
I think you're getting all wrapped around the axle about stupid chit like fluid weights when there is no need. Espicially since you plan on arriving in summer.

Quote:
being the young buck I am my idea is find a small gas or service station that i can trades some labor/shop clean up for a place to change my fuilds.
That idea is pretty much a pipe dream. Shops and service stations are a business to make a profit. Only chance you have of that is a good friend with a garage/shop.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #61
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

thanks derby but my original plan was to stay just the summer but now iam looking to stay though winter and the go from there. after talking with family i think i will miss half of alaska if i only see it in the summer.

yeah i would not think about spending the winter without a top on the jeep.

dont worrie. Ill find a good spot to change oil on the rig but with how the meet and great and a family wedding plans out i should be at my familys in anchorage before the the need comes up.
Iam just on here asking for help from those who wish to be helpful. sorry to rub you wrong. I have gone far just walking up and start talking. on my trip to maui that was never a problem.
so what "chit" should I be worried about? would be thankful for any help.

Last edited by jeepnawillys; 12-21-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #62
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Dark, cold, windy, depressing. Your not missing much.

Quote:
after talking with family i think i will miss half of alaska if i only see it in the summer..

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #63
Derby6
Registered Member

Derby6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Iam just on here asking for help from those who wish to be helpful. sorry to rub you wrong. I have gone far just walking up and start talking. on my trip to maui that was never a problem.
so what "chit" should I be worried about? would be thankful for any help.
Didn't rub me wrong; just gave you my .02 on some things you posted. Very few of the average folks in the south central area come up and change all their fluids.
Off the top of my head, I'd be thinking.
- Route and fuel costs.
- Border crossing (weapons/passport).
- Likely breakdowns and having parts/tools available.
- Occupation upon arrival.
- lodging plan; both short and long term. (financial, area, etc...)

IN EDIT: My opinion is/point was you need a top for the jeep even if it is just summer. Days or weeks of rain in 50-60 degree weather will be beyond miserable. I know you've admitted that would suck, but wasn't 100% sure if you'd heeded that advice, so I just tried to reinforce that advice...

Last edited by Derby6; 12-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #64
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby6 View Post
- Route and fuel costs.
- Border crossing (weapons/passport).
- Likely breakdowns and having parts/tools available.
- Occupation upon arrival.
- lodging plan; both short and long term.
that seams to be my worries for the time and most of my trip. fuel is such a killer. thanks again for the input.