Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
imported_Blackjack
Registered Member

imported_Blackjack Default Reputation
Default Lets talk first aid kits.

Its that time of year again. If you surf more than this board, you will have seen that there were several accidents over the holiday weekend.

So lets talk first aid kits. What do you carry? What should be carried?

I (as with many of us) have started with the twenty buck Costco kit. Besides doubling most of the items in there, I have made some addition:

Extra gauze is number one on the list. You can almost not have too much of this. Feminine protection products are included as they are cheap, sterile, absorb well, as well as for the other times they might be needed.

Duplicate meds. Wife has Asthma, and I bad seasonal allergies, so extras of whatever we are taking at the time makes it in there.

New item I am adding this year is a bottle of eye wash. Good for cleaning wounds as well as eyes.

Comfort items. Sunblock, insect repellant, anti itch cream (for when the insect repellant fails), Rolaids, Imodium AD, cold medicine, instant cold packs and a few other small items that I am forgetting.

My kit is new work in progress. I know AKX has discussed this at length, and the safety officer (who is a little busy at the moment) was working on some stuff to help everyone out. Lets see if we can some up with a basic list of what should be in everyone’s kit. I know some of you have field medic/EMT training, and few of you carry very well stock trauma bags, but lets keep the recommended items to that which any non trained person can make good use of.
imported_Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
imported_Hillbilly
Registered Member

imported_Hillbilly Default Reputation

Seems like you covered it pretty well Blackjack. One thing I would encourage people to do is look around at the stuff they carry that is not in the kit and see things that can be used in an emergency situation. *Clean rags, clothes, towels all make great gause just about any thing rigid makes great splinting material. *Stuff that wasn't made specifically for medical first aid reasons can really help out when you are out in the back country. *Saline solution is an inexpensive alternative for the eye wash. *A CPR cheat sheet inside the kit is a good idea and I have seen some cheat sheets for the most common trauma/ first aid situations as well,doesn't have to be anything fancy just some hand written notes. *And I know that most kits are comming with them now but a couple extra pair of gloves and a rescue breathing mask are a must. IMHO

imported_Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
DNGRRNGR
Banned

DNGRRNGR is on a distinguished road

I carry a CLS (Combat Lifesaver Bag) with me on the trail....... it's got the basics, plus IV's, sami-splints, J-Tubes, field dressings, pressure wraps.... can never have to much 1st aide stuff!!
DNGRRNGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
NewbieFJ60
Registered Member

NewbieFJ60 is on a distinguished road

where would we get such a set up ?
NewbieFJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
DNGRRNGR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Newbie2000TJ @ June 02 2004,16:36)]where would we get such a set up ?
With the exception of the IV's you can get pretty much everything at Eagle Enterprises or any other outdoor safety store. They just won't the same pretty OD green color!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
NewbieFJ60
Registered Member

NewbieFJ60 is on a distinguished road

I'm getting ready to set up a bag wonder if you could PM me your list if you have one
NewbieFJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
Badcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (DNGRRNGR @ June 02 2004,16:22)]I carry a CLS (Combat Lifesaver Bag) with me on the trail....... it's got the basics, plus IV's, sami-splints, J-Tubes, field dressings, pressure wraps.... can never have to much 1st aide stuff!!
Right on Jon....

I went the same route, and discovered I didnt need that much in my rig with me.

With the exception of the IV bags, I still have most of the supplies to include suchers (sp), I seem to cut myself alot...
Old 06-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
BadCo
Molon Labe

BadCo has a spectacular aura aboutBadCo has a spectacular aura about

I took an informal course with Kris Rick (AZCJ), primarily, you're not going to set broken bones or perform a miracle on the trail. Guaze to stop bleeding, quick splints to support broken bones and more gauze. Stop the bleeding the best you can, make sure the airway is clear, make sure circulation is good. Fix them up the best you can and get them to a hospital as fast as possible. When we were confronted with this situation last year, we coverd the wound and picked the quickest rig out of the bunch. Got RWC out of there ASAP! That is the best thing you can do.

KODIAK OFF ROAD

The chair is against the wall
BadCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:50 PM   #9
imported_ODDBALL
Registered Member

imported_ODDBALL Default Reputation

Guys get your stuff ready! I hope non of you guys get hurt more than a small cut but you never know what will happen on the trail. Good luck to all and stay safe!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
87bronco
Registered Member

87bronco Default Reputation

I picked up first aid kit from the bx its pretty basic the only extra thing it has is a new powder that stops bleeding on contact.. given the fact that its not a huge hole in your body........ My wife is a nurse so she is my best first aid equipment to have on the trails with me... She will jump in and give anyone a hand, she will also jump your *** if your doing something that will cause more harm than good....trust me...I know....
87bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:33 PM   #11
nate379
Registered Member

nate379 Default Reputation

Hmm, I have duct tape, paper towels, a few band aids, I think a roll of gaze (sp?), bottle of advil... Think I need a real kit.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:54 PM   #12
87bronco
Registered Member

87bronco Default Reputation

yeah you might want to invest in a real one..lol... Stay away from me with all that stuff........
87bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:33 AM   #13
imported_OneTonCJ
Registered Member

imported_OneTonCJ Default Reputation

I think everyone should go threw first aid training. Being in the line of work that we do I have to go threw it every year. Well refreshers that is. And before I go out on the next job I am going to go threw a CPR course. I like going threw that stuff just becuase I know it can relate to wheeling. We also have to carry a pretty detailed first aid kit.
imported_OneTonCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:44 AM   #14
DNGRRNGR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (OneTonCJ @ June 03 2004,08:33)]I think everyone should go threw first aid training. Being in the line of work that we do I have to go threw it every year. Well refreshers that is. And before I go out on the next job I am going to go threw a CPR course. I like going threw that stuff just becuase I know it can relate to wheeling. We also have to carry a pretty detailed first aid kit.
Newbie you have PM..

BadCo...... good point and Chris Rick would be the man to get a 1st aide class from as far as club members are concerned. He knows his ****! Your right on with get them patched up and evaced ASAP!

OneTon..... your right too ,some 1st aide training is always good you just never know what can/will happen in the middle of nowhere. I have both Combat Life Saver and Level one EMT through the Army... some of the best training I've had except all my infantry stuff!!
Old 06-03-2004, 08:20 AM   #15
WileEToyote
Registered Member

WileEToyote is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (nate379 @ June 03 2004,00:33)]Hmm, I have duct tape, paper towels, a few band aids, I think a roll of gauze (sp corrected), bottle of advil... *Think I need a real kit.
I think you need a real kit, too. Duct tape is a good one from the "household items" category, though. I also include superglue - been meaning to see if the liquid band-aid stings a bit less - and tin foil, say a 12x12" square. Use it to keep a burn clean instead of something that will stick to it.

Training is definitely important. As simple as a lot of it is, it's as easy in certain situations to do more harm than good. For references, NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute has a number of good texts, some currently on sale for fairly cheap.
WileEToyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #16
nate379
Registered Member

nate379 Default Reputation

I'm going to buy one or two this weekend. *That list was a combo of the stuff I have in the Jeep and in the house. *Really didn't think much of it until now.

nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #17
imported_Alaska ZJ
Registered Member

imported_Alaska ZJ Default Reputation

Wiley- I almost took a Job with NOLS. Good shizz. More practical expereince than any other civilian sector on this sort of thing.

I carry a CLS bag. I removed the IV setups for one reason. Liability. I don't want to stick someone and have them sue me later because I ****ed it up in some way. I don't want anyone else sticking me.

While I would let most medics and nearly all 11B's stick me I would hate to have some guy that got out of the military 100 years ago try to "recall" that skill on me or someone else.

I carry guaze, pressure dressings, some plastic (sucking chest wound), duct tape, Bag balm for rash's and such, Mole skin for blisters, 2 SAM splints, 2 Trache tubes (a dude has to breath), Aspirin (got heart attack?), Ibupro, bee sting kit, premade Eye donut, scissors, sucher material (for myself mostly, but if you got the balls I'll sew you up) and a burn kit that consist of stuff for minor burns (that **** that takes the sting out of little burns).

While I realize the importance of knowing what things will double over and can be used in a emergency, I also realize that I am driving a vehicle and really have no weight or space restrictions. My first aid kit is complete in and of itself (to the best of my ability).

Oh and one thing that is absolutly not a option. Sunscreen and Water. Unless your Oddball you need sunscreen in AK. Everyone needs water. As most who know me know that I wheel with a 100 oz camel back strapped to the back of my seat and that I have more water than I could ever drink in a day.

If you have ever fallen out from the dehydration, you will not soon forget it.

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

USE YOUR HANDSAVER ON YOUR WINCH. WEAR YOUR **** GLOVES AS WELL!!</center>
imported_Alaska ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:01 PM   #18
DNGRRNGR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Alaska ZJ @ June 03 2004,12:11)]While I would let most medics and nearly all 11B's stick me I would hate to have some guy that got out of the military 100 years ago try to "recall" that skill on me or someone else.
Carefull Brentt, I may hold you to that!! Got needles??

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]If you have ever fallen out from the dehydration, you will not soon forget it.
**** good point...... I'm with you, i've got a 100oz camel back in my rig, plus a 2 quart, and a 5 gallon can. Been there done the dehydration thing..... no fun at all..... 20 click foot march in NTC...... nasty stuff!

Old 06-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #19
imported_Alaska ZJ
Registered Member

Dude, I fell out at NTC too......lol. It was the final movement out of the dustbowl. PLOP out goes Cpl Blair.....lol. Got to ride in the truck though.

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Old 06-03-2004, 10:35 PM   #20
aktinbinder
Registered Member

aktinbinder Default Reputation

I have all the thigs listed so far ('cept for the IV stuff)

I do however need a reall suture kit. Where do I get a nice kit for that? Sucks with out pain killer though had my nose put back together with 7 stiches and no painkillers, fark that sucked.

A big bottle of betadine a absoule must.

I didn't buy a kit at all. Just bought all the stuff I thought I'd need. However you should look through it often to make sure it's all there. Last year with rob, frost and myeboth had our kits open, fortunatly his sissors were handy, as I couldn't find mine to cut the wrappings. (I hope to never do that again).

aktinbender
Old 06-04-2004, 01:00 AM   #21
imported_AZ/CJ
Registered Member

imported_AZ/CJ Default Reputation

AH I see that you all are getting preped for some wheelin....good ****. I have some new cool guy **** that I have been using over here, most of which is available to the public the stuff that isn't, the general public probably shouldn't be using anyway. I've vastly increased my trauma capabilities in the last year, unfortunatly, and will provide information to who ever wants it when I get back. I will not be planning on doing any classes for atleast the first month, or anything else for that matter. It sounds like everyone is on the right track with what they're carring, some things to remember:
1. Don't carry something you don't know how to use
2. KISS= Keep it simple stupid
3. Doing something is better than doing nothing at all
4. ABC's= Airway/breathing/circulation

Also the powder that was mentioned should not be used by someone that does not have extensive trauma management training. It does work extremely well for stopping massive arterial bleeding, but it has several possible drawbacks. In short its catalist for the chemical reation is liquid, any liquid. It also heats during this reation effectively cauterizing the wound bed and anything else it comes into contact with that is wet. We have used it in combat with success but have found that a tourniquit would work just as well in most cases. Do not get this **** in your eyes it will cause permanent damage. Helicopter rotorblades tend to make it blow around. It is most effective as a fire and forget tool for massive blood loss when you have little time to work on the casualty, ie several wounded people. I seriously dought you all will ever encounter this. I do have some cool little dressings though with the stuff impregnated into them that would be great for carring in a first aid kit. Again just my thoughts, it seems common sense is the best thing to have on the trail........Brent.........have fun and enjoy the summer. Hope to see you all early fall.
imported_AZ/CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:03 AM   #22
imported_fatpaulie
Registered Member

imported_fatpaulie Default Reputation

very well put AZ/CJ
imported_fatpaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:48 AM   #23
imported_Alaska ZJ
Registered Member

Dude, your the one that called me a *****......You should know that is all it takes to get a 11B to do something REALLY stupid.

Thanks again for saving my hand. Doctor said that without you doing your thing I might have actually lost a finger or something. I owe you.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 AM   #24
DNGRRNGR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Alaska ZJ @ June 04 2004,03:48)]Dude, your the one that called me a *****......You should know that is all it takes to get a 11B to do something REALLY stupid.
Amen to that Brentt!!!!! BTW I got to ride in the truck at NTC too!! something about seeing double

AZ/CJ **** good point.... leave it to a medic to sum it all up!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #25
BadCo
Molon Labe

BadCo has a spectacular aura aboutBadCo has a spectacular aura about

Kris taught me well...well enough for an afternoon. Without much training, all you can do is the basics A/B/Cs. Stop bleeding the best you can and get them to the Doc. Carrying all that fancy **** in your kit is pointless unless you know exactly how to use it. After the class, I came away with the feeling that plenty of guaze is the most important. Tape, pain-aid, and others help as well.
For me, the best first aid is prevention. After last summers accident, careful attention to the world around you will prevent injury. Let's make this a safe summer guys!

KODIAK OFF ROAD

The chair is against the wall
BadCo is offline   Reply With Quote