Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #26
FireMedic
Registered Member

FireMedic is on a distinguished road

I thought I might chime in here. *I couldn't agree more with what Kris said. *The first rule is Keep It Simple! *I can't tell you how many times I've seen poorly or non trained people try funky things just because they have seen in on the Discovery channel. *Use your head! *Most problems are fairly minor and can be handled without much training or equipment. *RWC's had is an excellent example (from what I have heard) *Also, as Kurt said....a little training goes a long way. *Learn what you can from someone who knows and Kris is just one of those people. *I incourage every one to take a basic first aid class if you are going to been in the field in AK...or anywhere else for that matter. *Don't forget that help is NOT around the corner. *
I would also recommend that anyone who has not been specificaly trained to suture NOT DO IT! *There is almost no reason this needs to be done in the field for our purposes and is one of those things that can cause a big problem when there wasn't one to start with. *Your worst enemy is infection and in less than steril conditions (ie in a big mud hole on Boulder Creek) suturing a wound is almost a garantee of trapping crap in the wound that will cuase an infection. *If you are in the field and someone is cut bad enough to really NEED stitches they need to be bandaged and transported to the nearest medical facility for a good cleaning and proper suturing.
As a last note...I'll be doing a medical Q+A session as one of the demonstrations at the M+G and will be happy to answer any questions anyone might have for me. *Hope to see you all there!
* * * * *JAY

Old 06-06-2004, 10:21 AM   #27
imported_Little Giant
Registered Member

imported_Little Giant Default Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (WileETyote @ June 03 2004,09:20)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (nate379 @ June 03 2004,00:33)]Hmm, I have duct tape, paper towels, a few band aids, I think a roll of gauze (sp corrected), bottle of advil... *Think I need a real kit.
I think you need a real kit, too. *Duct tape is a good one from the "household items" category, though. *I also include superglue - been meaning to see if the liquid band-aid stings a bit less - and tin foil, say a 12x12" square. *Use it to keep a burn clean instead of something that will stick to it. *

Training is definitely important. *As simple as a lot of it is, it's as easy in certain situations to do more harm than good. *For references, NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute has a number of good texts, some currently on sale for fairly cheap.
Looks like a good link. *I looked through the books to pick one out to order, but am having a hard time deciding. *Maybe someone more in the know could give some advice.

Should I get
The Wilderness First Responder, Second Edition
300 pages of what is probably great information for $29.95

or

Wilderness First Aid
Again, about 300 pages of material, but for only $14.95.

Obviously since we are talking first aid and safety, the cost difference is not a factor to me. *Which one would be better in the long run for our application?
imported_Little Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:58 AM   #28
imported_AZ/CJ
Registered Member

imported_AZ/CJ Default Reputation

Either one looks good, I have an extensive wilderness medicine hard back that is pretty all enclusive, its a Mosby 3rd edition. These work well for classes but are not practical for carry. Look for a small wilderness medicine pocket manual for the trails. They are desined to cover the important ****, a company called Tarascon makes some. They have an adult emergency handbook that is very good a word of caution though, these handbooks are often desined for medical professionals so make sure you get one for first aid providers or first responders. The web site is www.tarascon.com
imported_AZ/CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #29
BadCo
Molon Labe

BadCo has a spectacular aura aboutBadCo has a spectacular aura about

On a lighter note: Kris's first aid class was the first I have attended that utilized the words "****, ****, and jacked-up". Ah, good times.

KODIAK OFF ROAD

The chair is against the wall
BadCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM   #30
SnowMan
Registered Member

SnowMan Default Reputation

Those are all standard army terms. ****, just ask any ****ing medic that isn't jacked-up!

Most of you guys take kids and wives/girlfriends so how about carrying around some standard household stuff.

*neosporin
*alergy medicine
*tampax
*non-drowsy cough medicine( or night time if ya want the kid *to go to sleep)
*bottle of JD to ease the pain if there is no hope!

Remember what first-aid is: stop the bleeding, Keep them breathing, and splint the fractures. Get them to the professionals

SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:13 AM   #31
Fat B*@terd
Registered Member

Fat B*@terd Default Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SnowMan @ June 07 2004,23:03)]Those are all standard army terms. ****, just ask any ****ing medic that isn't jacked-up!

"Always slobber on that dude that's drunk. That way he'll let you taste some Man Milk."

GOTCHA!
Fat B*@terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #32
Badcop

Since you 2 are here I gotta ask, whats the theory behind you field medics only having to keep someone alive for 72 hours?? You all have as much training as anyone I hve ever crossed in the military and 72 hours is the best you can do??

ps, im only playin, please dont kill me
Old 06-08-2004, 07:21 AM   #33
SnowMan
Registered Member

SnowMan Default Reputation

I am only a radio guy, but I can giveyou a handmike enima if you like

SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:37 AM   #34
Badcop

Hmmm, a handmike enima you say.... I think thats what my command says when I get snooty as the RTO.... "you little sob, ill drive out there and give...." or something to that affect... LOL
Old 06-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #35
akfreeride
Registered Member

akfreeride Default Reputation

maxi pads, super glue, sissors, rubber gloves and duct tape are great add ons to a good kit, I started out with an REI backpacker kit and just upgrade it constantly, its small and weighs like 3 lbs. I also have an emt bag that has more than you'd ever use for long trips
akfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:19 PM   #36
imported_Alaska ZJ
Registered Member

imported_Alaska ZJ Default Reputation

Little Giant- *If your looking for something to study and read...either of those books will work. *If you are looking for a Checklist type thing to carry on your person so you don't forget wtf you are doing. *Get this

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

USE YOUR HANDSAVER ON YOUR WINCH. WEAR YOUR **** GLOVES AS WELL!!</center>
imported_Alaska ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #37
Blackjack
Evil Winch Doctor

Blackjack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lets talk first aid kits.

Wheeling season is fast approaching folks. There is no better time than the present to re-evaluate your gear.

I find a few lists that can be easily adatped for our use up here. Now do note that there is some stuff on each of these lists that are a little out there for our needs, but I hope that it will get you thinking about what you carry.

List one:

6 Meals
1 Liter water bottle (full)
3 first aid kits
a) 188 piece, with CPR and body fluid barrier kit/burn kit/antiseptic
b) 150 piece kit with bandages/dressings/ab dressings
c) 35 piece "day pack" kit
2 snake bite kits (one suction cup/one suringe - people don't agree on which works better so I bought both)
2 bx matches
1 pack lighters
3 small cans of sterno
1 fire log starter
1 power bar
1 bear mace
1 flashlight
1 mini shovel
1 knife
1 "aircrew survival manual" - everything from how to trap game to building shelter
1 Garmin GPS (old spare)
2 "power gel" carb packs -absorb in water, full of protein/carbs
6 pack hand warmers
1 pair "underarmor" long johns
1 set gortex rain gear
6 MRE heater packs (heat food without fire)
2 emergency candles
1 box latex gloves
1 head lamp (to work in the dark, or on injured at night)
1 compass
1 roll toilet paper
1 set work gloves
1 water proof bag (yellow)

List 2

Suggested Personal First Aid Kit List

1 - roll 1" cloth tape
4 - 4" x 4", or 3" x 3" general gauze pads
2 - non-adherent gauze pads
1 - 8" x 7" combine (bulk) dressing
8 - band-aid bandages
2 - 3" or 4" stretch roller gauze
3 - 3" or 4" occlusive dressings
2 - triangular bandages
1 - 4" ace wrap
1 - Sam Splint or wire splint
4pr - vinyl exam gloves
1 - CPR pocket mask w/ 1 way valve or shield
1 - Airways, nasal and/or airway
1 - blister kit (personal preference)
5 - povodine iodine packets
1 - trauma scissors
1 - splinter tweezers
1 - thermometer
1 - med kit (personal preference)
1 - blanket pin
2 - safety pins
1 - 12 to 60cc syringe
1 - 20-30' duct tape

List 3

This is the list of first aid equipment taken on a typical Outdoor Action three-season backpacking trip. Trip size is 10-12 with trip length of 4 to 6 days. Keep in mind that the contents of a proper first aid kit depend on your activity, location, season, first aid training, potential environmental hazards, activity hazards, and personal medical histories of your participants. Use this list only as a starting point.
BASIC KIT:

HARDWARE:

_____ 1 Sunscreen _____ 10 2 x 2 gauze sponges _____ 1 box mixed bandaids _____ 10 4 x 4 gauze sponges _____ 1 8 oz. tincture of benzoin _____ 10 Exam gloves _____ 1 50 sq. in. Moleskin _____ 20 Alcohol swabs _____ 1 20 sq. in. Molefoam _____ 1 Trauma scissors _____ 1 pkg. Spenco adhesive knit _____ 1 tweezers _____ 1 2" adhesive tape _____ 1 cold pack _____ 1 1" adhesive tape _____ 5 maxi-pads MEDICATION:

_____ 20 Acetaminophen _____ 20 Betadine ointment pkt. _____ 20 Ibuprofen _____ 1 tube petroleum jelly _____ 20 Peptobismal _____ 10 Sting-eze ____ 12 Bactitracin ointment packets

REPORTING

_____ 3 Accident Reports _____ 2 Patient Assessment Forms _____ 3 Field Information Reports _____ 2 Emergency Information Reports _____ 6 quarters

EMERGENCY KIT:

TISSUE INJURY:

_____ 2 2" roller gauze _____ 1 3" Ace bandage _____ 5 2 x 3 telfa pads _____ 2 cold pack _____ 2 triangular bandages _____ 1 trauma dressing HARDWARE:

_____ 1 SAM splint _____ 2 ammonia inhalants _____ 1 thermometer _____ 1 box waterproof matches _____ 6 large blanket pins _____ 1 space blanket _____ 1 Microshield rescue mask _____ 1 30 cc Syringe and tubing _____ 1 Extractor _____ 1 Chlorine Bleach MEDICATION:

_____ 2 Anakit* _____ 10 Milk of Magnesia _____ 20 Diphenhydramine _____ 1 tube Hydrocortisone cream _____ 20 Psuedophedrine _____ 1 bottle Polar Pure * This is a prescription drug itme. Contact your physician if you have bee sting or other serious allergy.

Last edited by Blackjack; 03-13-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #38
RSOVJR
Registered Member

RSOVJR is on a distinguished road

We carry a bunch of stuff.

We should put a star of life on both sides of the rear window of the RSOVJR. That give ya a hint? LOL
Not quite stock either
RSOVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #39
JeffJ
Registered Member

JeffJ will become famous soon enough

These guys have it right. Your intent is to plug the holes, package and transport. You do not need to get more fancy than that. Unless you are days in the backcountry there is no reason to suture a wound and I might even argue against that. Steri Strips or butterfly closures work just as well in most cases. I might use superglue on a small cut in an irritating place but nothing more major than that. Oh, and liquid bandaid stings just as badly and doesn't have near the holding power!

As said above, do not use the hemostat powder. If you can't stop the bleeding with direct pressure, pressure points or a tourniquet, chances of you bringing them out alive is pretty slim.

Your brain is going to be a lot more help than even the best stocked first aid kit. The tools won't do you much good if you don't know how to use them and you might be surprised what you can use in a pinch!

As far as a list of things to carry, what has already been covered is more than enough. Most injuries will hopefully be no worse than a cut, burn or broken bone. Anything worse is beyond the scope of treating in the backcountry by most folks. The absolute best thing you can do is stop the bleeding, stabilize fractures, keep them warm, treat them gently and get their *** to a trailhead where a medic unit can meet you.

"Congress: The only hoe house in the country that is loosing money."
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:10 AM   #40
Bone
Missing Alaska

Bone Default Reputation

Seeing as I pack/install survival kits, I get quite a bit of survival items free from work. No, I don't steal them. For one reason or another, they don't meet the specs required for installation anymore so they either get handed out for personal use or thrown away. Things like survival rations, emergency blankets, water packs, metal matches, and various first aid items. From all of this overflow, I've been able to put together a pretty good emergency kit. Now I just need to figure out how to keep my kids from eating the rations before hand. For some reason they like those things.

" The Jeep runs like crap, that's why I'm broke. "
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #41
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road

I just ordered Back Country First Aid from http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Fi...1816253&sr=8-1. 4 bucks for the book and 4 bucks for shipping, YMMV.
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #42
capt_kipp
Call Me Captain

capt_kipp has disabled reputation

I also added an epiphedrine pen to my kit.
capt_kipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #43
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
I just ordered Back Country First Aid from http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Fi...1816253&sr=8-1. 4 bucks for the book and 4 bucks for shipping, YMMV.
What are your thoughts on the book? I like it but want to hear if you did.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #44
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Here is a complete list of the FAK I carry on me. I was hoping some in the know would take time to critique it and let me know if I am missing anything or if there is something I should add.

I have thick skin and am a big boy, so fire away, it may save a life.

Item Name Number On Hand

Gold Bond Foot Powder 4 oz

Butterfly Closures 10 Medium

Restor Electrolyte Tabs 3

Isopropyl Alchohol 32 oz

Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine HCL) 24 capsules

Iodine Tincture 2 oz

Nexcare Heavy Duty Fabric Bandage 60 assorted size

Asprin 100 (325 mg ea)

Acetaminophen 100 (500 mg ea)

Ibuprofen 300 (200 mg ea)

Triple Antibiotic Ointment 1 oz

Hydrocortisone (anti-itch) 1 oz

Iodine Swabs 8

Alchohol Wipes 40

Cohesive Flexible Bandage 2 (5 yards long ea)

ACE Campression Wrap 1 (6 ft long)

Compression Bandage 4

Field Dressing 9

Gauze 50 squares

550 Cord 25 meters

Surgical Scissors 1

Tweezers 1

Surgical Tubing 6 feet

Tracheotomy Tubes 2

Sunscreen 4 oz

Bug Dope 4 oz

Carmex .5 oz

Quick Clot 0
Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #45
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

I have a few sam splints in my bag and some 1" and 2" medical tape. Also I would add a small note book and a pen/pencil. You never know when you will use this stuff. And the key time to get medical history and allergies is ASAP. If they go shock y they can loose consciousness. Its always nice to walk up to a patient and have someone hand you a note pad with all the right info on it. Kit looks fairly good. Not a fan of the Trac tubes. This is a procedure that is very difficult, and not even most paramedics are allowed to perform. I would prefer to see some OPA's and/or NPA's instead. Thou they will not open the esophagus to bypass a crushed larynx most breathing problems can be fixed by getting the tongue out of the way. And an OPA or NPA will accomplish that. I also carry a 500Ml bottle of saline solution, this is for cleaning wounds or flushing out eye's and the sort. I also have an IV drip set with a 1000ML bag. In the right scenario an IV can save more lives then you would think... Also a tube or two of Oral Glucose, In a survival situation this will be your best friend. And if you come across a diabetic with low sugar this would be there best friend.

Guess my bag is a bit bigger then most, being an EMT I like to be ready.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #46
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

I need to put some IV's in there. The J tube is a last resort, thing for sure. But if the zombies come, it's a last resort time.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #47
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

One of these days I need to put something together. I cut my gut pretty good a few days ago on some metal banding hanging off a bench. Sliced me when I rubbed against it while walking past.
Had to make a bandage out of paper towel and duct tape cause that's all I had.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #48
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Nate, you really should.....
Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #49
akram
Registered Member

akram is on a distinguished road

Get rid of the J-tube. Remember they have to be unresponsive and no gag reflex to use it. NPA only. And unless you have had extensive training get rid of the trach tubes. Really an Emergency Cricothyrotomy should be performed only by a professional. I teach this stuff on a daily basis. and sometimes even the professionals really scare me.

As for other contents there is no set list. I've been a medic for over 13 years and now I teach Army medics and Combat Lifesavers and more. Something I learned is you need to have the concept of things first then take what YOU want and need. I will use things different than most. I can get by with a lot less stuff than most. I still carry an old M5 OD green aid bag full of stuff. Medications stay out of it, this includes pain meds, burn cream, neosporin, hydrocortisone, benadryl, epi, glucose, charcoal and more. I usually pack those in my back pack.

To me the main concept is have some splintig stuff and bandage stuff. SAM SPlints, kerlix rolls, Ace wraps, 4x4 gauze, 1" and 3" tape or duct tape. I have dermabond for small wounds but super glue works the same. I carry sutures but I'd be real reluctant to close a wound out in the field. I have a few tourniquets as well. Bandage scissors but there are some in my toolbag as well. and lots more stuff I never use and hope to never use.

Remember KISS. Sometimes taking too much can make things worse. Know how to take care of injuries and wounds with out all the supplies.

Arctic Offroad
akram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #50
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by akram View Post
Get rid of the J-tube. Remember they have to be unresponsive and no gag reflex to use it. NPA only. And unless you have had extensive training get rid of the trach tubes. Really an Emergency Cricothyrotomy should be performed only by a professional. I teach this stuff on a daily basis. and sometimes even the professionals really scare me.

As for other contents there is no set list. I've been a medic for over 13 years and now I teach Army medics and Combat Lifesavers and more. Something I learned is you need to have the concept of things first then take what YOU want and need. I will use things different than most. I can get by with a lot less stuff than most. I still carry an old M5 OD green aid bag full of stuff. Medications stay out of it, this includes pain meds, burn cream, neosporin, hydrocortisone, benadryl, epi, glucose, charcoal and more. I usually pack those in my back pack.

To me the main concept is have some splintig stuff and bandage stuff. SAM SPlints, kerlix rolls, Ace wraps, 4x4 gauze, 1" and 3" tape or duct tape. I have dermabond for small wounds but super glue works the same. I carry sutures but I'd be real reluctant to close a wound out in the field. I have a few tourniquets as well. Bandage scissors but there are some in my toolbag as well. and lots more stuff I never use and hope to never use.

Remember KISS. Sometimes taking too much can make things worse. Know how to take care of injuries and wounds with out all the supplies.
This is a great read, but I guess I need to explain a little. This also doubles as the medical bag in a SHTF Situation.

READ THIS STORY

I took a long hard look at what I am doing after reading this. My medical Bag is one of them.