Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Strat
Registered Member

Strat is on a distinguished road
Default Food storage reminder

Just the multi annual Strat food/ water/ fuel storage reminder.

If you don't have it get it, rough times ahead my friends. Natural disasters are coming at an accelerated pace and it will be our time again sooner or later.

If you can't afford to do it all at once get it one can/ bag/ bundle at a time.
It's going to be very sad to see Alaskan's starve or die from exposure when the time comes.
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Dr. Destructo'
Bilge rat

Dr. Destructo' is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Food storage reminder

Indeed, even a little at a time adds up quick. Two is one and one is none...
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

So far I have 50 gal of distilled water

30 2lb cans of the following
wheat
beans
rice

25lbs of sugar in a sealed 5gal bucket
25lbs of powdered sugar
25lbs of white flower

15 jars of each of the following
Plumbs
apples
strawberry
raspberry

Various medical supply's.

Un inventoried store bought canned goods. I'm building a can food rack in the basement. This will help organize everything. Hopefully soon I will be able to have pics up. Don't wanna post them until its all nice and neat.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

Where's the salt murph?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

how about sources for bulk items. Ive been having problems finding these items in large quantities. besides bulk stores such as costco and sams.

also sources for food grade buckets, and mylar bags, or mylar rolls, or 5 gallon water jugs that dont cost a fortune.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
murphyslaw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-one View Post
Where's the salt murph?
You know I forgot to get a bag of salt yesterday at costco.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

I've been to the cannery once or twice. My wife and I have been working on expanding our larder, a little at a time. We are of the "use 1, buy 2" sort.

Been running into sourcing issues for things like i listed above. I hate paying ridiculous shipping on basic items, i would rather buy local at a slightly higher price. but im not willing to pay 400% markups or worse on basic items. Thats IF i can even find vendors. that said, im surprised nobody has capitalized on this yet, a store geared entirely towards food storage/bulk foods.

I've also noted that a LOT of the food storage websites WILL NOT ship here period.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
murphyslaw
Registered Member

Where is the cannery? and what are the SOP's? I have heard some of them are very political and you have to go about your business there in certain ways. And only be in specific areas of the store. Unless you are there volunteering.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Strat
Registered Member

Just another reminder folks. Please take this serious.

I believe 2011 will be the start of tremendously grave economic times in this country. With the Bush tax cuts set to expire, socialized Health care taxes taking effect, the Democratic Cap and Trade tax plan being pushed down our throat, political machinations over energy, severely restrained oil development in Alaska and the rest of the US, States like California going bankrupt, and a dozen other serious issues...not to mention the beginning of the next world war brewing in and around Israel and or Korea, we are in for a very hard time.

2010 might give the impression of a slight economic recovery but it is only the calm before the storm, this is caused by business trying to gain a little momentum in the next 6 months preceding the tax changes coming in 2011 and the Obama administration still having billions of dollars of hastily printed "stimulus money" that is giving the false impression. This is no economic recovery. Don't be fooled by the government hiring thousands of new IRS agents and census workers as an up swing in unemployment! Private business is the key to economic recovery NOT government spending. The government has no money of it's own, they can only leverage their spending against their ability to tax you and your family. If you have not begun to make emergency preparations like paying off debt and having food storage on hand DO IT NOW.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Strat
Registered Member

While Obama has put a stop to oil development in our country the rest of the world, including those who would love to see our destruction , are content to continue drilling away. While Obama brings America to it's knees Russa, China, Venezuela, and Iran, continue to grow stronger with energy fueled by oil.

So called "Green energy" will not support the freedoms you have enjoyed in your lifetime and will lead to a lower quality of life for your children. Don't be fooled, Green is now the new communist RED. In the military there is no such thing as a Hybrid APC, Blackhawks do not fly on vegetable oil, and freedom is not won by carbon credits. The massive economic machine that maintains our safety is not turned by wind power. Conservation is not the answer, more energy is, and right now at least, nothing beats oil. America is the most responsible energy producer in the world, don't let the suicidal progressives tell you otherwise.

Our government, led by an incompetent talking head president with NO executive leadership ability, is now standing in the way of your personal liberty. The oil spill crisis we are experiencing right now was caused by OUR OWN government and serves the purpose of giving increased leverage to the enemy within.

Use this time wisely, care for your family by preparing for the future and having emergency food storage available, you will need it.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

And the world is going to end tommarow too....
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
00TJ
Hermann The German

00TJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco85 View Post
You love government we already know

Should always be ready for anything..
Set the example in everything you do in your sport."Post Responsibly" "Ride Responsibly" "Camp Responsibly" "Drink Responsibly". Behave like EVERYONE in the world is watching and evaluating your actions. Have fun, yes. But realize we are threatened like never before. I've never seen so many closures and potential closures on the horizon. Please take heed and act now

By Del Albright,

Last edited by 00TJ; 06-12-2010 at 05:44 AM.
00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Dr. Destructo'
Bilge rat

Dr. Destructo' is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
While Obama has put a stop to oil development in our country the rest of the world, including those who would love to see our destruction , are content to continue drilling away. While Obama brings America to it's knees Russa, China, Venezuela, and Iran, continue to grow stronger with energy fueled by oil.

So called "Green energy" will not support the freedoms you have enjoyed in your lifetime and will lead to a lower quality of life for your children. Don't be fooled, Green is now the new communist RED. In the military there is no such thing as a Hybrid APC, Blackhawks do not fly on vegetable oil, and freedom is not won by carbon credits. The massive economic machine that maintains our safety is not turned by wind power. Conservation is not the answer, more energy is, and right now at least, nothing beats oil. America is the most responsible energy producer in the world, don't let the suicidal progressives tell you otherwise.

Our government, led by an incompetent talking head president with NO executive leadership ability, is now standing in the way of your personal liberty. The oil spill crisis we are experiencing right now was caused by OUR OWN government and serves the purpose of giving increased leverage to the enemy within.

Use this time wisely, care for your family by preparing for the future and having emergency food storage available, you will need it.
Surely you are not saying that a person who weans themselves and their family from oil have a lower quality of life and enjoy less freedoms? Regardless of what happens, those who have less dependency on oil, I think, would have more freedoms, and possibly better quality of life.

Now the green agenda on the other hand... Pure, concentrated, Organic, Evil
Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Hmm... Strat did you stock up on tin foil hats as well?

BTW... Everyone keep posting up your stuff. If SHTF I know who to go raid first

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

bgreen776 will become famous soon enoughbgreen776 will become famous soon enough

1. Everyone knows that Mormans stock up like mad, no secret there.
  2. Nobody in America lives free of oil.
bgreen776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Hmm... Strat did you stock up on tin foil hats as well?

BTW... Everyone keep posting up your stuff. If SHTF I know who to go raid first
Old 06-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
madmax
Registered Member

madmax is on a distinguished road

For those worried about the end of the world coming (2012) and any other disaster i offer my yard up for storage of boats,motorhomes or any other high end toys.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
Strat
Registered Member

Who said anything about the end of the world? How about simply another 1964 earthquake?

Oh how we all forget...

(You know you can cook a chicken in a tin foil hat?)
Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
89' BURBAN
Registered Member

89' BURBAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
If you have not begun to make emergency preparations like paying off debt and having food storage on hand DO IT NOW.
Curious what you mean by "paying off debt"? House, truck etc? If things start getting rough(er) which I fully agree, they will. My material assets are gonna be on the bottom of my priority list.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Strat
Registered Member

I'm not going to stop bugging you guys so you better get with the program .
Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
00TJ
Hermann The German

00TJ is on a distinguished road

Strat ..I hear what your saying ...

I just hope people can survive..I know a few folks will but feel sorry for some others..
Set the example in everything you do in your sport."Post Responsibly" "Ride Responsibly" "Camp Responsibly" "Drink Responsibly". Behave like EVERYONE in the world is watching and evaluating your actions. Have fun, yes. But realize we are threatened like never before. I've never seen so many closures and potential closures on the horizon. Please take heed and act now

By Del Albright,
00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

I found this link when browsing the other day. I thought it may be relevant to keeping food stores in good shape.

The units are pretty pricey, but when you go through two or three foodsavers every two or three years, the savings would add up.

http://www.alaskabutcherequip.com/products/
Old 06-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #23
Strat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89' BURBAN View Post
Curious what you mean by "paying off debt"? House, truck etc? If things start getting rough(er) which I fully agree, they will. My material assets are gonna be on the bottom of my priority list.
Credit cards would be a big one. If your "personal" debt is limited to your house and car loan you are doing better than most Americans. Less "personal" debt (business debt is something else) equals less stress during economic collapse. You might have enough for yourself but there will be extended family members/ friends who are going to need assistance.

I don't understand what you mean by "material assets". Everything you own is material. Did you mean essential and non-essential?

"Material assets" are a huge resource in emergency planing, think of it as a "gear list" for emergency response. Look around your house and make a contingency list of all the stuff you already have. A 4 wheeler and snow machine are GREAT assets in an emergency. The first step in emergency preparation is to take stock of what you already own and how many ways can it be used, the military calls it "field expedience".
Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #24
Strat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Destructo' View Post
Surely you are not saying that a person who weans themselves and their family from oil have a lower quality of life and enjoy less freedoms? Regardless of what happens, those who have less dependency on oil, I think, would have more freedoms, and possibly better quality of life.

Now the green agenda on the other hand... Pure, concentrated, Organic, Evil
You can't "wean" yourself from oil my friend every comfort and feeling of security in your life is made possible because of oil. Solar panels, geothermal turbines, and commercial windmills are only possible because of OIL. The gravel road you walk to work on was created using OIL. The organic sprouts you buy at Fred Meyer are there because of OIL. You don't have a Nazi flag posted on your front lawn because of OIL. The marijuana you smoke.....yep you guessed it, made possible using OIL byproducts.

The biggest Greenie in the world is fooling themselves if they think oil is not a huge part of their life. This kind of thinking is a mental disorder influenced by a religion called liberalism. Don't get me wrong, as a true conservative in every aspect of my life, I strive to responsibly consume the resources we are blessed with by our Heavenly Father. My point is the dirty little secret of the left wing greenie movement is that they really don't care about the environment, it's all about power and control. The Obama administration has proved this by sitting on their hands as crude oil destroys the gulf!

Please define for me what you mean by "less dependent on oil" and then explain how this equals "more freedom and a better quality of life"? I don't think you can do it because the truth is your statement is nothing more than hot button marketing, a vague utterance with no substance designed to create an emotional reaction in those who can't think for themselves.

Last edited by Strat; 06-13-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #25
Strat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco85 View Post
You clicked on a survival/ emergency preparation thread and then made fun of survival/ emergency preparations?