Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #51
Strat
Registered Member

Strat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Food storage hints

A good adrenal formula is a big plus in very stressful situations. Your adrenal glands will become tired when you are exposed to things like stress, chemicals, allergens , lack of sleep, use of stimulants (like red bull, or 5 hour energy drinks), and poor nutrition. To maintain good mental and physical health, and your ability to perform under stress, you should consider a few supplements. IMO an adrenal formula is at the top of the list! This is the one I take right now and it makes a big difference in stress recovery.

http://www.nutriwest.com/products/products.htm

DSF Formula (120)

Supportive Function:
The perfect supplement to be chosen in stressful times! Glandulars, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals synergistically work together to support the various energy-producing systems of the body.

Ingredients:
Each Tablet Supplies: Adrenal 25mg, Thymus 70mg, Spleen 20mg, Stomach 10mg, Parotid 80mg, (all bovine source). Vitamin C 175mg, Vitamin B-2 15mg, Vitamin B-6 10mg, Niacinamide 15mg, Pantothenic Acid (D-Calcium Pantothenate) 105mg, Grape Seed Extract 1mg, Lemon Bioflavonoids 225mg, L-Tyrosine 175mg, Magnesium (as oxide) 45mg, Zinc (as chelate) 5mg, Chromium (as chelate) 50mcg, Potassium (as chelate) 2mg, Chlorella 50mg.
Product ID: 2401A

Vegetarian: No

Quantity: 120 Tablets

Suggested Dosage: 1 tablet 3 times daily

Contraindications:
High dosages of vitamin C (>1000 mg.) should not be taken by gout patients or by kidney stone formers. Vitamin C is contraindicated in iron overload disease.
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #52
Strat
Registered Member

Oh... and if you can stand the taste, chew them up for increased absorption.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #53
Strat
Registered Member

Home water filters, get one!

This is the one I have, I picked it up in 1999 and it sits ready whenever I need it. I used it for a couple of months and it's great. You could take water from your toilet if you had to and pass it through the ceramic filters with no problems. It is gravity powered, no electric power needed. The filters can be cleaned and re-used.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Water__...rid=googlebase

A hand held water filter would be a nice addition for a grab and go kit, mine is an old style ceramic hand pump from the mid 1990's, it is slow but it works.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #54
RSOVJR
Registered Member

RSOVJR is on a distinguished road

https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/products.asp

This is an option for quick and easy "scavenge" of buckets/cans/whatever.

I use a miox and it works for me.
Not quite stock either
RSOVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #55
Strat
Registered Member

I like it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #56
Strat
Registered Member

BROWN RICE and beans.

Brown rice is a staple in my house. The good thing about Brown Rice it is very nutritious, easy to store, and keeps for a long time. You can simply put it on your shelf in the current packaging and it will last for well over a year. If you can it with an O2 stabilizer packet it will last for 30+ years. Stay away from processed white rice, it's nutritional value is low. If you plan on using Brown rice as a staple in your food storage you will need to get used to eating it before the emergency, if not you might have short term digestion problems, cramping, and watery stools. Not fun when your stress level is already high.

Combine your stash of brown rice with dry beans like, black, pinto, and kidney, and you have a fantastic staple that will store for decades with little effort.

This is the rice I buy, you can get it at Three Bears.http://www.lundberg.com/products/products_home.aspx

I use this as a staple because it is Non-GMO.
Stay away from GMO foods (genetically modified organisms). In short GMO foods are literally poison. The foods molecular structure is re-arranged to act as an insecticide. The problem is the more GMO foods that are manufactured the more poisonous material there is to contaminate our soil and water supply. GMO foods have only been around since 1996 so their effects are only now being realized. The great majority of US corn is GMO. If you eat corn, or a product with corn in it, and it does not say "Non-GMO" than it is GMO! There are other crops that are grown GMO also so do your homework. Remember you can't just blow this off by thinking "I have been good up to this point", high volume GMO food production has only been around for 14 years, that is just long enough to start seeing the effects.

The FDA is corrupt, don't think they are looking out for you and your family's health. All it takes to have a product approved is $. Much of the produce we buy in the grocery stores are treated with carcinogenic compounds like BHT to prolong freshness and pesticides like methyl iodide, a neurotoxic that is known to be developmentally toxic and an endocrine disruptor. If you consume strawberries from California you are also eating methyl iodide.

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/SG/Home/index.cfm

Last edited by Strat; 07-13-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #57
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

To go with the rice and beans stock up on seasonings too. Most food storage is pretty bland. A lot of your common seasonings are shelf stable and will last for years. seems like a common sense thing if you are doing food storage but is often overlooked.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #58
Strat
Registered Member

Went dip netting last week at Kasilof, Heavenly Father blessed us with a good harvest, let me tell you prayer does work! We were pulling them in left and right while people next to us were left holding an empty net. We gave a few away to an older Native man watching on the beach that could not believe what he was seeing.

We have frozen fillets, smoked fillets, and soon we'll have some in metal cans. If you have not yet gone dip netting you still have a little time left!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #59
Strat
Registered Member

Take account of the times we are in right now, today will seem like a great abundance compared to the tough times ahead.

This statement is based off of the financial situation our country is in right now and not necessarily scriptural reference (although I firmly believe this is also the case). Every statement of recovery coming out of the White House and Congress is a facade, an artificial front designed to placate the masses. Starting Jan 1, 2011 life in modern America will more closely resemble that of Colonial America, we will have come full circle in the cycle of freedom and tyranny.

Use these "good" days to your advantage my friends, make a cache room with food storage so you can be self reliant when and if the need arises. Most folks here will ignore this, some will make light of it, history is often disregarded by the foolish.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #60
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

bgreen776 will become famous soon enoughbgreen776 will become famous soon enough

If you don't believe the economy failing is reason enough to stock up on food, do it because you live in an earthquake zone.
bgreen776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #61
Strat
Registered Member

Cooking oil is an important addition to your storage cache. Coconut oil is great for medium heat cooking and is full of healthy fat. Olive oil is good for low heat and is also a good source of healthy fats. If your oil begins to smoke in the heat of your pan you need lower heat or a different oil, dont let your oil smoke!

Canola oil is not good for you, stay away from it regardless of what you hear in advertisements. Vegetable oil is also not good. Do your home work on cooking oil and get a few bulk packages to store away. If you don't need it in an emergency situation it makes great trading stock.

You can get one gal tubs at most heath food stores, great for food storage.

http://www.veggielandbrea.com/.sc/ms...0Coconut%20Oil
Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #62
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

I don't know if it has been touched on or not, but what about canning with a pressure cooker?

I recently got back from a whirlwind dipnetting trip on the lower kenai. Four hours, 130 fish for the boat. Since I was driving, I got to keep about 50 fish. After the tedious cleaning/filleting, I stripped the meat out, and smoked it all. After a light smoke, I decided to can what I had. I now have over 4 cases of pints, and a couple ziplocs of smoked fish to enjoy this summer/winter. I plan on heading for silvers next.

While I was canning the fish, I thought about making some stews as well. The stew was made in quart jars, and I used a half of a large cube of beef bouillon. Its a standard stew, with carrots, taters, onions, celery, and of course beef stew meat that was on sale at Carrs. I can't wait to stew up some moose meat this fall!!

I also tried my hand at canning some homemade chili.

Using a pressure cooker requires constant attention. You can severely hurt yourself if you don't pay attention to the pressure pot. Also, there are tried and true recipes that just plain work great. Use them! Getting willy nilly with your ingredients is not recommended at all. Botulism anyone?

Last edited by B1; 07-27-2010 at 09:12 PM.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #63
Strat
Registered Member

I have always wanted to can my own chili! It's so much better for you if you make your own with healthy ingredients.

I've get a ton of chicken eggs every week from my hen house, I need a way to store them without refrigeration. Anyone have ideas?

My ducks are sitting on a couple dozen eggs, I hope to have baby's soon. I'm going to try to smoke a few, we'll see how it works out. I have never eaten my own ducks before.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #64
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

there was a write-up on survivalblog (i think thats where i saw it) that was talking about extending the shelf-life for eggs.
'05 Astro (DD)

Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #65
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road

I have some black bear back strap that I have been wanting to make into chili...
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #66
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
The nutrition "value" of milk makes many of us pee out the backside when consumed.

I bought a box of powdered milk in 2002 and I just used it all up a couple weeks ago... that is how often I use milk.

Think about it, how many other mammals consumer milk after early childhood? None.
I am also now Milk free. I feel better and have better overall health as a result. And it is one less thing to store!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #67
JeffJ
Registered Member

JeffJ will become famous soon enough

Found a cool program. It is a food storage analyzer. See what you think.

http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=608

"Congress: The only hoe house in the country that is loosing money."
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #68
akraven8
Registered Member

akraven8 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Strat;499801]BROWN RICE and beans.

Brown rice is a staple in my house. The good thing about Brown Rice it is very nutritious, easy to store, and keeps for a long time. You can simply put it on your shelf in the current packaging and it will last for well over a year. If you can it with an O2 stabilizer packet it will last for 30+ years. /QUOTE]

Actually brown rice is very prone to going rancid. Read this
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=128
"Since brown rice still features an oil-rich germ, it is more susceptible to becoming rancid than white rice and therefore should be stored in the refrigerator. Stored in an airtight container, brown rice will keep fresh for about six months.

While white rice varieties should also be stored in an airtight container, they can be kept in a cool, dry place rather than the refrigerator. Stored properly, they will keep fresh for about one year. "
akraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #69
Strat
Registered Member

I have never had that problem.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #70
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

brown rice doesnt store as well as white rice. that doesnt mean it doesnt store well. white rice will keep for years and years in proper conditions. most people who do food storage that rotate properly will not have a problem at all.
'05 Astro (DD)

Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #71
jpsfri

jpsfri is on a distinguished road

This is an old thread, but a good one to revive. I followed one of the links and found this homemade filtering system. Cheap and effective.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/hom...erkeydaire.htm
Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #72
RocDoc21
Registered Member

RocDoc21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsfri View Post
This is an old thread, but a good one to revive. I followed one of the links and found this homemade filtering system. Cheap and effective.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/hom...erkeydaire.htm
I agree- it was going strong for a while and then fizzled out. Who was working on the hole-in-the-ground freezer? TonyM? Anyone want to follow up on that?

Also- get a vacuum packer! Vacuum sealers are very inexpensive now and can be used to prolong the storage life of many edible items. Looking back over the notes that were posted in other forums, it looks like a lot of people are leaning toward older preservation methods using salt. A few bags of iodized salt and sea salt will go a loooong way.
*Edit:
Here is a youtube link for salt curing- watching it now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtKGZYoCaw

Talked to a co-worker of mine who has a wife back home (he's in the military), said wife was in the path of hurricane Irene earlier this year. He urged her to get some supplies together and sent her various links to preparation as well as many phone calls. Know what she bought? A case of wine, some batteries for the flash light and (1) 50 rd box of ammo for her 9mm.
Needless to say he was quite pissed at her errant (not) common sense.

We joke about it now but that's the kind of stupidty we'd see. Now... what were we talking about? Oh right, food...

-----------------------------------
06' TJ Long-Arm Ruby

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."

Last edited by RocDoc21; 09-21-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Add link
RocDoc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #73
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road

its a bit late to the conversation, but I have family in mexico that stores milk on the counter with a piece of silver in the container. I am highly allergic to milk, so I didn't try it, but the milk smelled fine, and it was several days old if my translation was accurate.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #74
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Powered milk lasts a long long time. That is all I buy for milk. I don't drink the nasty ****, just use it for cooking once in a while.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #75
Sean76
Sick of Idiots!

Sean76 is on a distinguished road

So what kind of ideas do you guys have for shelving in a crawl space for food storage?
Sean76 is offline   Reply With Quote