Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #76
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Food storage hints

Kinda depends on what type of containers you are storing. I have been on a canning kick recently, and have learned that you don't want to stack jars, or make the shelves too deep. You don't want to obscure whats in the jars.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #77
Sean76
Sick of Idiots!

Sean76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
Kinda depends on what type of containers you are storing. I have been on a canning kick recently, and have learned that you don't want to stack jars, or make the shelves too deep. You don't want to obscure whats in the jars.
Come on Jed I know you have built some auto rotating can organizer
Lets see pic's

Is anyone storing Non-Hybrid seeds? Have you planted any in the summer and yielded seeds from the crop? What brand did you order? Just trying to get a good idea of where to order good ones from someone with experience

Last edited by Sean76; 01-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Sean76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #78
B1
Registered Member

Nah, I just use plywood, glue, and screws. Come to think about it, my kitchen shelves are overflowing, and I really need to do this storage thing.

As far as the crop thing, I have not used 'grown' seeds yet. I had good luck with the seed bin at Lowes up the road. The strawberry plants, not so much. They would grow and green out really good, but I couldn't get the fruit any bigger than the size of a quarter.

Steve is a character, and comes up with some cool stuff. Here is an organizer for canned goods.
http://www.youtube.com/user/stevinmarin

Last edited by B1; 01-06-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #79
B1
Registered Member

I convinced the baker at my local Carrs to give me some buckets. They are the 3.5 gallon ones that used to contain berry filling and stuff.

Best price is always free.

Costco has 50# sacks of rice for around 20 bucks. I've also heard that you can use those hot hands hand warmers as an oxygen thief.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #80
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
I convinced the baker at my local Carrs to give me some buckets. They are the 3.5 gallon ones that used to contain berry filling and stuff.

Best price is always free.

Costco has 50# sacks of rice for around 20 bucks. I've also heard that you can use those hot hands hand warmers as an oxygen thief.

Oxy absorbers are cheap on amazon, mylar bags are also pretty cheap on there. I get rice oats beans and sugar from the mormon cannery Jed

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #81
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean76 View Post
So what kind of ideas do you guys have for shelving in a crawl space for food storage?

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #82
Brokejoke4x
Registered Member

Brokejoke4x has disabled reputation

One word... Moonshine! That's all I'm saying
Brokejoke4x is offline   Reply With Quote