Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Predatory concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazer View Post
Those were maybe the long term living conditions but I highly doubt that was the standard of treatment for the first couple weeks or months. It isn't exactly an overnight deal to arrange mobile home housing for thousands of misplaced people. Those things have to be built and shipped to the areas they're needed. Plus, I'm sure not everyone who lost their home in Katrina came from the "projects," even if that idea does make it easier to see them treated poorly.
Exactly. Not every person who lost everything in Katrina was a gang banging thug.

But the media will gladly lead you to believe that they were. People who stayed in NO screwed up, bad. No doubt and this is not about if they were right or wrong. It is about what FEMA did in the aftermath and how it relates to preparing for the future.

FEMA is the front line to a fairly serious eugenics program set inplace to deal with a massive breakdown. So go ahead and go to your "Cruise Ship"....at your own peril.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #27
02TJ
Registered Member

02TJ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ View Post
You need to research more.
Please, I was there.

I was still on active duty at the time and worked on the relief effort.
02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #28
02TJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Those were maybe the long term living conditions but I highly doubt that was the standard of treatment for the first couple weeks or months. It isn't exactly an overnight deal to arrange mobile home housing for thousands of misplaced people. Those things have to be built and shipped to the areas they're needed. Plus, I'm sure not everyone who lost their home in Katrina came from the "projects," even if that idea does make it easier to see them treated poorly.
FEMA had and has trailers, mobile homes, tents and all kinds of supplies pre-staged around the country. What they do with them, who knows.

Having lived on the coast, and having actually worked the Katrina relief, I'll stand by my statements.

During hurricane season, I kept a full tank of gas in the rig. Kept fuel jugs to extend the range. Had a hurricane kit. Filled the bath tub with water and every other container to back up the water supply I had in 5 gallon water cans. Had routes of evacuation planned.

#1 If your survival plan includes the government, you're screwed. The government doesn't function well on a daily basis without a national emergency. Not only that, the government moves at it's own pace. Even during emergencies. When people are starving, the government ships in water in it's infinite wisdom.

#2 If you live in a coastal community, and you don't have a hurricane kit of your own, a means to bug out on your own along with an evacuation plan of your own, things are not going to work out very well for you when the hurricane hits.

Last edited by 02TJ; 01-24-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Gazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TJ View Post

During hurricane season, I kept a full tank of gas in the rig. Kept fuel jugs to extend the range. Had a hurricane kit. Filled the bath tub with water and every other container to back up the water supply I had in 5 gallon water cans. Had routes of evacuation planned.

#1 If your survival plan includes the government, you're screwed. The government doesn't function well on a daily basis without a national emergency. Not only that, the government moves at it's own pace. Even during emergencies. When people are starving, the government ships in water in it's infinite wisdom.

#2 If you live in a coastal community, and you don't have a hurricane kit of your own, a means to bug out on your own along with an evacuation plan of your own, things are not going to work out very well for you when the hurricane hits.
So on one hand you're saying that FEMA is treating these people from the projects very well by giving them RV's and Cruise Ships to live in... but on the other hand you're saying that "If your plan includes the government, you're screwed."

Then you mention that the trailers (or RV's) they are letting them live in are staged around the Country and ready to be used on short notice... but then you say the government doesn't function very well during emergencies and moves at it's own pace so they can't be relied upon. There is some contradiction here.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #30
02TJ
Registered Member

Quote:
So on one hand you're saying that FEMA is treating these people from the projects very well by giving them RV's and Cruise Ships to live in...
Gee, I don't know.

FEMA camp or housing, or ranger grave in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Which one sounds better to you?

I'm thinking trailer park.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
Please, I was there.

I was still on active duty at the time and worked on the relief effort.
Then you "know" how rediculous your statement was. History is history, facts are facts.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #32
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
So on one hand you're saying that FEMA is treating these people from the projects very well by giving them RV's and Cruise Ships to live in... but on the other hand you're saying that "If your plan includes the government, you're screwed."

Then you mention that the trailers (or RV's) they are letting them live in are staged around the Country and ready to be used on short notice... but then you say the government doesn't function very well during emergencies and moves at it's own pace so they can't be relied upon. There is some contradiction here.
Exactly. Gazer, this is a simple case of not being able to see the Forest through the Trees.

02TJ, you are making little to no sense. Can I ask some questions? So we can qualify your statements and point of view.

Were you in a senior leadership position for Katrina? Like E8+ or O4+? If not were you atleast attached in a position to be privy to the big picture?

If you get to stay on a cruise ship, why do you need to have a bug out plan?

Do you think that a proper response by FEMA was given in reguards to Katrina?

Now let me say some things about my point of view.

I think the people of New Orleans dropped the ball HUGE. No doubt the should have been way more prepared than they were.

FEMA is not there to help you. FEMA is there to MANAGE you. They want to make sure you are not a problem to the plans of the Government. Just sayin'
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #33
02TJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Then you "know" how rediculous your statement was. History is history, facts are facts.
Being there, and reading about it, are two different things.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #34
02TJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Exactly. Gazer, this is a simple case of not being able to see the Forest through the Trees.
I think the storm took the forest and the trees there Francis.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
02TJ
Registered Member

Quote:
were you atleast attached in a position to be privy to the big picture?
This one deserved it's very own response.

I think you watch to many movies.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
and while the bush communities would likely be able to feed themselves for the most part

No way they would be the first ones to starve....... especially in the winter . all there food comes in buy air, and Unlike what you see on Tv "subsistence" is a very very small part of there food supply , I'd venture to say 10% our less of there food comes from subsistence hunting and fishing.
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #37
rednektanker
Registered Member

rednektanker is on a distinguished road

Gazer, Alaska ZJ : I agree with you about relying on the government being rather short sighted, and what 02TJ said does make some sense. because i've actually been military and I've been part of the grand scheme of " let's unpack this stuff and move it here, no wait over here, no wait over here" and it was a **** tent that took 6 of us to move, and we moved it 9 times before we put it back where it came from. meaning : just because they do have it, doesn't mean they operate with lightning reflexes or think propperly about it.

02TJ: you made some valid points, because in the Army at least when they brief a soldier on a mission, whatever it may be, they give out ALOT of information. almost too much to be honest. but you know how much the Army loves Hurry up and Wait.

3rdly : for all three of you I think we all got way off topic, yes there is a major difference in Being there, and hearing about it from the new ( bad idea ) or 2nd, 3rd or even 4th hand accounts.

4thly: to rather make my point. when I was medically retiring i filled out a little piece of paper for my claim for disabilities. on it i brought up my chronic cough related to depleted uranium poisoning and active burn pits in Iraq.

after a full year of doing nothing, i mean sitting at a desk from 9-5 and literally doing nothing, maybe 1 or 2 appointments a month at most, to find determine my medical problems. they had completely negated and forgotten about the depleted uranium.

ontop of that a full bird Colonel, who shall remain nameless, decided that i wasn't volunteering enough at work to help keep me busy. he wanted me, a soldier with fairly severe PTSD to volunteer at an Elementary School packed full of people. right after i had been diagnosed with it via nearly stranging someone with my bare hands in a total black out PTSD flashback, and before they had any clue how adversely affected i had been by PTSD.

then he wanted me a soldier with severe spinal problems, a cane, a knee brace and a back brace to volunteer to go rock climbing with an AA club, which me never really being drinker to begin with being the least of that issue.

then he wanted me to take up a sort of scaled workout session, with same back brace, knee brace, and cane, for Crossfit which is what Rangers and Navy Seals do for working out.

after the process that was supposed to take 4 months, took two years, they forgot more than they wrote down. and they wanted me to do things that would have adverse affects on me and just in general pissed me off even more. and then i got my state senator involved, and all of the sudden things got right on track.

Back to SHTF.

so with this information, knowing that the Government is a rather large Beauracracy at " it's finest". I think we can ALL agree that the Government is not there to help you, that was never it's original purpose, but after too many people complained, they were forced into it because too many people didn't want to help themselves.

they do have the resources to help. i'm sure the military as a whole probably has more 8-30 man tents than the rest of the world combined. but the entire process it took to get 1 soldier out on an honorable medical retirement. took 2 full years.

it's the responce time, the hurry up and wait, the fact that in order to actually do anything it takes nothing short of an act of congress to get things in order half the time. and even then it still takes a 60 day session to make the decision.

Ayn Rand once said " ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself." and to an extent that is what we should be focusing on. first and foremost what can you do to keep yourself and yours alive long enough to make something of it. what kind of skills do you know.

then you can take it to a longer term, larger in affect strategy to make things better.

i believe someone already said "Mike Tyson : Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face"

and it's very accurate, and similar to Murphy's Law " no O-plan survives enemy contact"

to a single person who can react well to their environs and the people in it, can be flexible enough to act and react to things going on instead of a large, immense organisation that as long as the plan is going accordingly, no matter how horrific, everything is well. but as soon as the "plan" fails, everyone loses their mind.

which is precisely what would happen in a SHTF scenario.
rednektanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #38
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Quote:
This one deserved it's very own response.

I think you watch to many movies.
He asks a legitimate question about your rank and duties performed, which are directly related to any perspective you have on the issue, but you reply with a "you watch too many movies"??

The question wasn't anything that outlandish... we've all served in the military, no one is blind to what it's like. Well I guess you guys served in the military, I was in the air force lol
Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #39
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Gee, I don't know.

FEMA camp or housing, or ranger grave in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Which one sounds better to you?

I'm thinking trailer park.
I'm not even sure what you're talking about in this post. You might have some valid points but you definitely aren't getting them across very well. Are you saying that their FEMA trailer homes are a nice standard of living compared to your experiences overseas? That's not a very good comparison. Apples and Oranges. You volunteered for those experiences, just like the rest of us who signed up.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #40
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
He asks a legitimate question about your rank and duties performed, which are directly related to any perspective you have on the issue, but you reply with a "you watch too many movies"??

The question wasn't anything that outlandish... we've all served in the military, no one is blind to what it's like. Well I guess you guys served in the military, I was in the air force lol
I didn't, I just watched movies and bon bons

I asked a series of questions to try and gain some perspective on what was said. I don't know 02TJ from Adam. Guess I should just take what I hear on blind faith (like was alluded to by said same guy that I don't know).

We might actually be able to learn something from 02TJ if his qualifications are right.

Kind of like taking medical advice from the EMT's on the board or Radio advice from the Radio dudes on the board. If 02TJ was a Logistics Officer (or NCO or even a clerk with the right knowledge of the situation) incharge of housing all these people on the Cruise Ship it would mean a lot more than just a cook private first class who heard rumors coming through the chow line....

So I guess 02TJ, until you qualify yourself I don't believe you and you hold little to no credibility.

Bon Bon 6, Out
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #41
RSOVJR
Registered Member

RSOVJR is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I asked a series of questions to try and gain some perspective on what was said. I don't know 02TJ from Adam. Guess I should just take what I hear on blind faith (like was alluded to by said same guy that I don't know).

We might actually be able to learn something from 02TJ if his qualifications are right.

Kind of like taking medical advice from the EMT's on the board or Radio advice from the Radio dudes on the board. If 02TJ was a Logistics Officer (or NCO or even a clerk with the right knowledge of the situation) incharge of housing all these people on the Cruise Ship it would mean a lot more than just a cook private first class who heard rumors coming through the chow line....

So I guess 02TJ, until you qualify yourself I don't believe you and you hold little to no credibility.

Bon Bon 6, Out
You're just bitter due to having to endure time near the school of the julios.

Not quite stock either
RSOVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOVJR View Post
You're just bitter due to having to endure time near the school of the julios.

hahahaha, there is some truth in there.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #43
02TJ
Registered Member

Quote:

Bon Bon 6, Out
Exactly the same thing can be said of all your posts.

You have little to no credibility yourself; per your own criteria.

I'm not apply for a job here, so you're not getting a resume.

That big picture saying, that's some real crap there. There is no big picture. It's a poor leadership technique used by leaders who can't lead.

If there was a big picture, why did the Katrina relief go so badly??????

If there is a big picture, how come we've been in Afghanistan as long as we have??????

You want perspective, go to an art gallery.

Last edited by 02TJ; 01-26-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #44
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Quote:

If there is a big picture, how come we've been in Afghanistan as long as we have??????

The reason for posting in threads like this is to get other people's perspectives. It's an interactive forum... if we didn't care what other people had to say then we wouldn't get on here and read other people's posts. The point we were making is that the things you are saying don't make sense to us. I'm sure they do to you or you wouldn't be posting them... but that's why he asked your background... to understand where your perspective is coming from. Anyone's perspective on an issue is shaped by the totality of their life experiences. Your job, age, gender, past experiences, etc. are all part of the things which lend credibility to your posted thoughts.

No, you don't have to tell us a single thing about yourself, but then we put little value in your statements becasue we assume there's a chance you're a 17 your old kid living in your moms basement who's just making stuff up. This isn't a massive board with thousands of active members... I'll randomly guess that there are maybe 50 to 100 people on this board who post weekly and have been doing so for years. MANY of this boards member know each other from face to face meetings, camping trips, friend of a friend, etc. and that does have credibility. It has nothing to do with an art gallery.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:

You have little to no credibility yourself; per your own criteria.

I'm not apply for a job here, so you're not getting a resume.

That big picture saying, that's some real crap there. There is no big picture. It's a poor leadership technique used by leaders who can't lead.

If there was a big picture, why did the Katrina relief go so badly??????

What would you like me to qualify for you? What statement did I make that needs qualification? The one telling you to research more? Ummmm, I guess that holds no water?

Or is it the Eugenics question? I will start your quest for education with Wiki WIKIPEDIA LINK TO EUGENICS

Well over half the people on this board know me personally, you however are new to everyone here, for the most part. If you don't believe in having to qualify who you are...have fun having nobody believe a **** thing you say. If you would like to research who I am, just search my ALASKA ZJ tag. I am sure you can find some info on me. I did this for you and came up with only that you are/were a Marine. I did not go as far as to track down your IP or dig up your military file, I would rather just have you qualify yourself. I am ok with just taking your word for you being who you are.

Here is the thing, I am actually really excited to LEARN from you. I don't want to argue with you, I want you to tell me "I was a Supply Gunny (I deducted from another thread you are/were a Marine) for blah blah blah. This is what I know happened right after Katrina." or "I was the S4 for blah blah and this is what I saw happening right after Katrina." Instead, I think we are getting "I was a cook and heard some guys in the chow line say this."

Do you understand what I am asking? You possibly have very good information on the ORIGINAL topic of this thread, I and others would like you to pull your head out of your fourth point of contact and answer the fookin' question.

Covey Leader, this is Bon Bon 6, break
Covey Leader, add 50 and FFE
Bon Bon 6, out
Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #46
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeard View Post
Why did this die?? It was just getting interesting.

Bon Bon 6 - the chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache.

It's twelve o'clock America, another day closer to victory. And for all you out there, on, or behind the line, this is your song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5mmFPyDK_8
It died because my explanation and questions were not reciprocated to.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

Classifying someone who is willing to do WHATEVER it takes to keep their family alive, as a criminal, seems just wrong to me.

As far as the concern for your own territory, in a shtf scenario, you do whatever it takes to protect the resources that will keep your family alive.

I have been trying to instill some of the preparednes values into my 11 year old daughter, and oftentimes she is not very responsive. Other times, she seems genuinely interested. The whole nuclear deal in Japan kinda freaked her out, as did the 9-11 attacks. I feel that I am failing in the teaching department, and was wondering if there were some good places to read about preparedness teaching techniques. Especially to children.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #48
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
Classifying someone who is willing to do WHATEVER it takes to keep their family alive, as a criminal, seems just wrong to me.

As far as the concern for your own territory, in a shtf scenario, you do whatever it takes to protect the resources that will keep your family alive.

I have been trying to instill some of the preparednes values into my 11 year old daughter, and oftentimes she is not very responsive. Other times, she seems genuinely interested. The whole nuclear deal in Japan kinda freaked her out, as did the 9-11 attacks. I feel that I am failing in the teaching department, and was wondering if there were some good places to read about preparedness teaching techniques. Especially to children.
Well you have wade through a huge pile of crazy talk on almost any sight you go to. Stuff like Aliens taking over. Obama being the antichrist, etc etc.

www.Survivalistboards.com is an ok place to start as they have a lot of stuff broken into different areas of interest.

Personally, I make a game out of teaching my 12, 16 and now 17 year olds.... We just spent like 6 hours in the backyard trying to make fire, in the rain. It was a blast. Then I showed them how to make a bowl by burning out the center with some coals. Next day, we went shooting, lots of different games to play shooting. Keep it fun.

When you are out and about, ask her "What do you think of that guy on the corner? How about that lady over by the bus stop?" Then direct her to threat assesment skills. Don't do it all the time. Just occasionally, like every other day or so.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #49
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

To all,
If SHTF happens, I truly believe about 95% of society will NOT be prepared. I also believe that it won't take a week for unprepared folks to be reduced to their basest instincts, in other words, many will be out trying to provide for their families and themselves, and doing WHATEVER THEIR CONSCIENCE AND STOMACHS ALLOW. I hope we never see this, the great majority of society are not mentally prepared, and watching movies won't prepare you for it, either.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #50
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
The great majority of society are not mentally prepared, and watching movies won't prepare you for it either.
Well there goes my plan. I guess all this time and money I've spent stocking up on apocolyptic movies has been wasted.