Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Blackjack
Evil Winch Doctor

Blackjack is on a distinguished road
Default Bug out Bag: A thought process.

Since this forum has been a little slow, and the number of disasters around the world are not decreasing, maybe a bit of discussion out being prepared would be a good thing. So I have been working over a list for a bug out bag. I have broke down the list into sub categories to simplify. Since I have the wife and two small children I had to take that into consideration. Some of the items I have listed may seem frivolous, but a little comfort goes a long way especially for the kids. I have not included firearms as this has been covered in other threads.

So the list:

1. Shelter and Fire
Tube tent (2)
Space blankets (4)
550 cord (100ft)
Small tarp
Fire steel (2)
Tinder
Waterproof Matches

2. Food and Water
Lifeboat rations (6 3200 cal bars)
Couple bags of Jerky
Chocolate of some sort
Hot chocolate/Instant Cider
Water (4 liters)
Filter Straws (4 min)
Small mess kit
P38/51

3. First Aid and Comfort
First Aid Kit
Extra RX meds for each as needed
Bug Repellant
Sunscreen
TP (4 rolls with core pulled)
Female Hygiene products
Bug nets (4)
Hand sanitizer
Parkas (4)
Toiletries (toothbrush/paste, baby wipes)
Deck of cards/small games
Underwear and socks (three pairs for each)

4. Signal and Communications
Good whistles (4)
Signal mirror (2)
Wind up multiband radio/cel charger
Pen and paper
Surveyors tape

5. Documents and Money
Small bills and roll of quarters
Personal paperwork (birth certificates, insurance docs etc in both copy and scanned to a secure thumb drive)
Important contacts list
Pics of family
Small reading material (bible, survival guides, pocket constitution etc)

6. Equipment and Tools
Hatchet or Machete (still debating this one)
Fixed blade knives (yes plural)
Multi-tool
Folding saw
Folding shovel
Gloves
Fishing Kit
Sewing Kit
Snare Wire
Duct tape
Lighting (Chem lights, flashlights, batteries)
Handful of 1 gal zip lock bags
Handful of 55 gal lawn and garden bags
Map and compass

That is what I have currently. It will of evolve of course as seasons/situations change. That does look like a lot of stuff, but the kids can carry some gear in their own pack (rule of thumb is stay at about one pound per year of age).

Last edited by Blackjack; 04-30-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
greenoval
Registered Member

greenoval has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bug out Bag: A thought process.

Is is a "given" that you've already got a firearm of some sort along with you? The BOBs that I put together for me and my wife include much of what you've listed as well as a small revolver with a little spare ammo.

It is also--
"... difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" --Upton Sinclair
greenoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

Looks like a pretty standard BOB to me. I use a similar setup for my 48/72 hour bag minus section 5. The major question would be, where would you bug out to? Does anybody carry a "Get Home Bag"? Its sort of the reverse for those of us that commute to work and getting stuck out of town in case of emergency.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
greenoval
Registered Member

greenoval has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythedeadboy View Post
Does anybody carry a "Get Home Bag"? Its sort of the reverse for those of us that commute to work and getting stuck out of town in case of emergency.
That's really what we carry ours for. They're in our respective vehicles and are to assist us in getting home. My wife's bag for example, has some practical shoes included in case she's wearing some sort of dress shoes that would be useless for a long walk.

It is also--
"... difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" --Upton Sinclair
greenoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
That's really what we carry ours for. They're in our respective vehicles and are to assist us in getting home. My wife's bag for example, has some practical shoes included in case she's wearing some sort of dress shoes that would be useless for a long walk.
that's kind of what I was getting at. I keep a change of clothes and a good pair of shoes or boots depending on the season. Basically anything I would need if i had to hoof it from Anchorage. In addition to a pretty decent medkit, roadside assistance toolkit, etc etc.

My GOOD kit I keep in several sealed buckets and bags ready to go at all times. Our personal documents I keep separate but easily accessible if need be, and i can pull my hard drive (family photos, document backups etc) in 5 seconds with 1 hand. Wife and kids can be out of the house in 1 to 2 minutes. fully packed and on the road in under 10 (weather and cooperating kids not-withstanding). yes we regularly practice.

the most important part you cannot pack is a plan. where you plan on going, the route you are going to take etc.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Blackjack
Evil Winch Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Is is a "given" that you've already got a firearm of some sort along with you? The BOBs that I put together for me and my wife include much of what you've listed as well as a small revolver with a little spare ammo.
Firearms have been discussed at length in other threads so I just omitted them from the list for this thread.

Quote:
Looks like a pretty standard BOB to me. I use a similar setup for my 48/72 hour bag minus section 5. The major question would be, where would you bug out to? Does anybody carry a "Get Home Bag"? Its sort of the reverse for those of us that commute to work and getting stuck out of town in case of emergency.
Where to bug to is a product of the situation. I have been looking at several scenarios and adjust plans for each. As far as a "Get Home Bag", I am lucky enough that my work is close enough to home that I do not need much of a kit for that.

Quote:
that's kind of what I was getting at. I keep a change of clothes and a good pair of shoes or boots depending on the season. Basically anything I would need if i had to hoof it from Anchorage. In addition to a pretty decent medkit, roadside assistance toolkit, etc etc.

My GOOD kit I keep in several sealed buckets and bags ready to go at all times. Our personal documents I keep separate but easily accessible if need be, and i can pull my hard drive (family photos, document backups etc) in 5 seconds with 1 hand. Wife and kids can be out of the house in 1 to 2 minutes. fully packed and on the road in under 10 (weather and cooperating kids not-withstanding). yes we regularly practice.

the most important part you cannot pack is a plan. where you plan on going, the route you are going to take etc.
For us (and others I am sure) this kit is last resort part of the master plan. Bugging in is always the first option, but you get to react to the event, not dictate it. This will be part of an expanded vehicle portable kit to include provisions for longer than 72 hours.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
jrs907
Registered Member

jrs907 is on a distinguished road

Here's mine.. all I can say if it was the dead of winter, it'd be my larger pack and stuffed with clothes. Not pictured are the firearms of course.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

Good to bring this thread to the top. I don't really have a bag yet, but I do have alot of the items listed. Just not really organized.

I also just bought one of those Jetboil dealios. Those things are pretty sweet. As long as you don't run out of fuel. But then again, a campfire is never too far away.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
jrs907
Registered Member

jrs907 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
Good to bring this thread to the top. I don't really have a bag yet, but I do have alot of the items listed. Just not really organized.

I also just bought one of those Jetboil dealios. Those things are pretty sweet. As long as you don't run out of fuel. But then again, a campfire is never too far away.
I really love my new Trangia alcohol stove. REI had them for around $35. They are light, cook/boil really well and are much more compact/lighter than any other stove. I bring it everywhere, bug out bag or hiking, car camping.. it's always in the truck.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
RSOVJR
Registered Member

RSOVJR is on a distinguished road

Tertiary thought, especially in AK where fuel is plentiful:

http://biolitestove.com/campstove/ca...view/features/

Ignore all the hippiespeak. Basically, this is a natural fuel burning stove that also generates electricty with a USB output. Low high tech.

There's other systems like pots and such that will generate electrical power with the same output, but this is capable of basically continual output, which is much more useful than a pot you can't run dry without damaging the power portion.

Blackjack, I like seeing that you're thinking in a "layered" concept for preparedness. Lots of people go "I'm gonna make me a bugout bag" but don't plan for what they're going to do if/when they get to the end of what that bag contains.... or supplies for longer durations both bugout and bugin.

After all, you can keep your oshi- supplies packed up and ready to go... and if you pack them layered, you can stay ready to go while you bug in and let things develop.

The departure decision point doesn't always happen at the beginning of an event, just do yourself a favor and make sure your departure triggers are "light enough" that you're getting the heck out of dodge well before everyone else chokes the few roads available for evacuation.
Not quite stock either
RSOVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOVJR View Post

Ignore all the hippiespeak. Basically, this is a natural fuel burning stove that also generates electricty with a USB output. Low high tech.

There's other systems like pots and such that will generate electrical power with the same output, but this is capable of basically continual output, which is much more useful than a pot you can't run dry without damaging the power portion.

Blackjack, I like seeing that you're thinking in a "layered" concept for preparedness. Lots of people go "I'm gonna make me a bugout bag" but don't plan for what they're going to do if/when they get to the end of what that bag contains.... or supplies for longer durations both bugout and bugin.

After all, you can keep your oshi- supplies packed up and ready to go... and if you pack them layered, you can stay ready to go while you bug in and let things develop.

The departure decision point doesn't always happen at the beginning of an event, just do yourself a favor and make sure your departure triggers are "light enough" that you're getting the heck out of dodge well before everyone else chokes the few roads available for evacuation.

Great Point!

I am going to start another thread about those "triggers".....
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
acruxksa
Registered Member

acruxksa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
<snip>.................
6. Equipment and Tools
Hatchet or Machete (still debating this one)
.................<snip>
Have you ever thought of the Woodsman's Pal instead of a hatchet or machete? The premium version has a handguard. My fathers had one of these for nearly 40yrs and it's a great tool. Although the one he has came with a form fitted metal guard, not sure what the new version comes with but it looks like canvas or leather.
Attached Images

acruxksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Blackjack
Evil Winch Doctor

Quote:

Bugging out is certainly not my first choice. The biggest problem is where do you go living on the peninsula? I do have it better than some as I live very close to where I work and bugging in is not a major undertaking. It also helps to network with like minded individuals to work together. But if things get real bad, is Los Anchorage really a place to head towards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruxksa View Post
Have you ever thought of the Woodsman's Pal instead of a hatchet or machete? The premium version has a handguard. My fathers had one of these for nearly 40yrs and it's a great tool. Although the one he has came with a form fitted metal guard, not sure what the new version comes with but it looks like canvas or leather.

I decided on this : http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/s...urvival-knife/

When people talk about sharpened pry bars this is IMO just that. I picked one up a couple of months ago and I have beat on it like it owes me money and it just laughs at me. I used it to carve out a club and then proceeded to baton a crap load of wood for the fire pit. I tried to do some feather sticks, but I think I need to put a little better edge on it first. I can basically do the same work as a small hatchet and almost the same work as a machete (without the blade length it is not as effective) with one tool. I coupled this with a gerber 10" Gator Saw and a good selection of 10" blade for both metal and wood.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #14
RSOVJR
Registered Member

If you're going to do sharpening on that, I would say your best option would be doing your small bit of "shaving sharp" edge towards the hilt region.

That way you can still have chopping sharp for the chopping sharp end, and when you DO use it for chopping duty, you have more steel backing up that working edge. Fine work edges, regardless of the steel, wear down quickly when subjected to hard use.

As far as bugging out in general? It depends on what's going on. Plan and prep for the worst case, but if it's just say, wildfire etc in the area, anchorage would be fine.. or shooting through anchorage towards wasilla, or either direction away from anchorage when you hit palmer. The worst case is the woods, which is what you should be concerned about.

Unlike the lower 48 where population density just seen during camping trips as a kid means that you'd have a whole lot of people around you... there's enough land in AK that those that do bug out should have a relatively good chance of being able to find an area where you'll do well both in the short and long term.

After all, those that actually understand game habits, how to store stuff through multiple seasons, can their own food, etc etc etc.... will do much better than the derpity person from Anchorage or elsewhere that just thinks they can go "inna woods" and be able to shoot things to eat all the time.

Full spectrum survival.
Not quite stock either
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

I might bug out but only to a pre prepped location. Ofcoarse I might "have" to bug out, but if given a choice I feel it is better to Bug In and work with those around you. There is strength in numbers for sure and going it solo in the woods is probably going to equal a pretty fast demise, even for someone who is fairly well trained.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Blackjack
Evil Winch Doctor

Quote:
If you're going to do sharpening on that, I would say your best option would be doing your small bit of "shaving sharp" edge towards the hilt region.

That way you can still have chopping sharp for the chopping sharp end, and when you DO use it for chopping duty, you have more steel backing up that working edge. Fine work edges, regardless of the steel, wear down quickly when subjected to hard use.
I think I am going to have a convex edge put on it. I think that will give me the sharpness I need and keep a good bit of meat right behind the edge when batoning.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

I am going out tomorrow with my oldest son Marvin to try out our BOB...just us, the wilderness and our BOB for 48-72 hours.....should be interesting.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
RSOVJR
Registered Member

That should be a good time!
Not quite stock either
Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Ok so a few lessons learned. Some good things happened and some things need to change.

First, medical supplies probably need to be in there own pack that can attach to the outside of my BOB. I did not have a medical emergency but I did not like having to move all my med supplies every time I wanted something out of the back of my bag.

Things I need to add:

Shorts, it was pretty hot out and would have been nice to jump into a set of cargo shorts for milling around camp. I would still wear pants during the dan and during movement.

Lighter, I found that I did not have one. I thought I did, but I didn't. I didn't need it to start a fire but it would have been nice. Any suggestions?

Ferro Rod, Lesson for everyone if you use something out of your BOB make sure you put it back. I didn't and as a result did not have one with me. Again I did not need it, as it was nice and dry and I hand drilled up a ember easy enough.

Poncho, I had wet weather top and bottom and a tarp, but I think I am going to add in a poncho. I have 5 people to think about and that poncho would have come in real handy if it had started to rain.

If you have something with batteries, it is worthless without them...My flashlight became a nice little paper weight.

I need to put a lanyard on my Gerber Paxe. The axe is bad ***, nothing to even complain about there, but after swinging that thing and with sweat happening, it did almost slip out of control one time. That could have been the medical emergency I didn't have...hahaha

I need to get about 4-5 small caribeeners. Not load bearing ones, just ones to clip stuff to the outside of my pack, a branch or help tie something off.

I needed a fork. Spoon is ok, knife was there...maybe a spork...hahaha stupid and extra weight maybe but would have been nice.

Things that kicked ***.

Gerber Back Paxe - Good steel, awesome durability. I have had mine since before I moved to AK and it is still kicking

MSR Whisperlite International stove - Yah it rocks. I have had it for over 10 years. I did have to replace the rubber o rings on the fuel bottle. That cost .20 cents at Napa. I used Diesel, Unleaded and White Gas just to make sure it actually did work with all types of fuel. Packs up light and puts out some serious heat. It boils a canteen cup of water in less than 3 minutes and I was camping at 4000'. Few moving or wearable parts, the expedition repair kit is tiny and pretty much can rebuild this thing from the ground up.

MSR Miniworks EX Microfilter - Cleans up water great, Field Maintainable, you can clean the filter in the field. You can use the crap out of this thing and it just keeps on ticking. Very few parts so the maintenance kit is small.

BBT - Big Blue Tarp...yep it is exactly what it needs to be...I do think I am going to get one in Green or camo however.

Lowe Apline packs...I have the big 75/95 expedition pack. Had it since 1999...it still kicks ***. Although if I get a med pack I might downgrade to a smaller pack. Does anyone know of a med pack that is made to attach to a backpack? I love the Voodoo Med pack...

Cascade Design sleeping bags. If you don't have one, you might be missing out....I have slept outside from 10 degrees....it is always a pleasure.

MRE's they suck. Mountian House is only slightly less sucky. The fish I caught however don't suck.

P220 is a nice weapon.

I don't know if I need to carry my machete, but I will be keeping it for awhile until I make the decision.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
RSOVJR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ View Post
Ok so a few lessons learned. Some good things happened and some things need to change.

First, medical supplies probably need to be in there own pack that can attach to the outside of my BOB. I did not have a medical emergency but I did not like having to move all my med supplies every time I wanted something out of the back of my bag.

Things I need to add:

Shorts, it was pretty hot out and would have been nice to jump into a set of cargo shorts for milling around camp. I would still wear pants during the dan and during movement.

Lighter, I found that I did not have one. I thought I did, but I didn't. I didn't need it to start a fire but it would have been nice. Any suggestions?

Just get some Bic's. get some 550 and tie an overhand knot in each end, then run one piece of tape around the ends and the lighter. That'll function as a break-away for wearing it around your neck. Reason I say this, is that if you have a necklace cord it'll be easier to tie down on your gear normally, and wear around your neck safely in the field. Keeping it around your neck means it'll stay near you and stay warm... and be useful in the cold, where if it's arctic temps it might not work due to low pressure

Ferro Rod, Lesson for everyone if you use something out of your BOB make sure you put it back. I didn't and as a result did not have one with me. Again I did not need it, as it was nice and dry and I hand drilled up a ember easy enough.

That's why I put a magnesium bar in everything. Anything metal can shave enough stuff to be able to make a fire. Hacksaw blade piece helps, but it's not really necessary

Poncho, I had wet weather top and bottom and a tarp, but I think I am going to add in a poncho. I have 5 people to think about and that poncho would have come in real handy if it had started to rain.

Poncho's also good for stowing your gear if you set up a base camp, additional WW gear for someone (although not the greatest)... I have 2 ponchos per pack

If you have something with batteries, it is worthless without them...My flashlight became a nice little paper weight.

Reason why I have a gerber Option 50. It'll use AA/AAA/CR123... doesn't make up for a flat out lack of batteries, but it makes it easier to scrounge if necessary.

I need to put a lanyard on my Gerber Paxe. The axe is bad ***, nothing to even complain about there, but after swinging that thing and with sweat happening, it did almost slip out of control one time. That could have been the medical emergency I didn't have...hahaha

I need to get about 4-5 small caribeeners. Not load bearing ones, just ones to clip stuff to the outside of my pack, a branch or help tie something off.

That's why I always get packs now that have MOLLE, although I try to avoid the uber-tactical looking ones for the most part. Molle lets me put additional pouches on the exterior, lash stuff to it, etc. I usually keep bungies ran through ones I don't use, because that's something that can tie something down right now if necessary. I have bungies on the left and right of my chest rig, and that's what I used for stowing gloves when I was working as a line technician at the airport... fuel gloves and work gloves, always attached.

I needed a fork. Spoon is ok, knife was there...maybe a spork...hahaha stupid and extra weight maybe but would have been nice.

yeah, the TI sporks that are out there, or any metal for that matter, are nice... and honestly not much weight at all.

Things that kicked ***.

Gerber Back Paxe - Good steel, awesome durability. I have had mine since before I moved to AK and it is still kicking

MSR Whisperlite International stove - Yah it rocks. I have had it for over 10 years. I did have to replace the rubber o rings on the fuel bottle. That cost .20 cents at Napa. I used Diesel, Unleaded and White Gas just to make sure it actually did work with all types of fuel. Packs up light and puts out some serious heat. It boils a canteen cup of water in less than 3 minutes and I was camping at 4000'. Few moving or wearable parts, the expedition repair kit is tiny and pretty much can rebuild this thing from the ground up.

I'm really looking at a BioLite stove because it uses gatherable fuel plus provides power (rechargable batterys for lighting etc) Having said that, MSR whisperlites are kick butt anyways.

MSR Miniworks EX Microfilter - Cleans up water great, Field Maintainable, you can clean the filter in the field. You can use the crap out of this thing and it just keeps on ticking. Very few parts so the maintenance kit is small.

BBT - Big Blue Tarp...yep it is exactly what it needs to be...I do think I am going to get one in Green or camo however.

Lowe Apline packs...I have the big 75/95 expedition pack. Had it since 1999...it still kicks ***. Although if I get a med pack I might downgrade to a smaller pack. Does anyone know of a med pack that is made to attach to a backpack? I love the Voodoo Med pack...

Depends on what you have to work with for attachment points. I could recommend 120974109 different models or manufacturers of molle attaching gear, but it doesn't sound like you HAVE molle on your pack. Other options would be finding points you could attach fastex buckles on the outside of your pack, and then just getting something that'd buckle in. Sorta like the Mystery Ranch quick-lock system.

Cascade Design sleeping bags. If you don't have one, you might be missing out....I have slept outside from 10 degrees....it is always a pleasure.

MRE's they suck. Mountian House is only slightly less sucky. The fish I caught however don't suck.

P220 is a nice weapon.

I don't know if I need to carry my machete, but I will be keeping it for awhile until I make the decision.
Not quite stock either
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Yah my Lowe Alpine pack doesn't have any Molle attachement on the outside. However I do have a really good seemstress here in town that would gladly modify anything I want to my specifications. Here is what I am wanting in a medical bag.

I love the Mystery Ranch stuff and would really like a med pack that is about 1/2 the size of what they currently have on display.

I want something that has some "pill storage" (Places where I can store Pill Bottles without them moving around as I get in the bag)

Sheer Storage, Compression Bandage storage, TQ storage all very much like the MR or VD med packs.

I love the modular velcro inside clear storage packs of the MR. I would love to keep that.

I should stop by MR next time i am in Bozeman (I was just there two weeks ago)
Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ View Post

P220 is a nice weapon.
Is it a newer version or the older one? I have the original made in "West Germany".

Was given to me by my dad as my frist handgun. Love the gun. One of the smoothest firing handguns that I've ever shot

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894

Last edited by Full83size; 08-13-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

One thing I would highly recommend in addition to compression bandages would be the quikclot http://www.quikclot.com/QuikClot-Products.aspx A little spendy but they can save your life. As much as I dislike holywood stuff, the movie "shooter" was an accurate portrayal of how it can save your life when mark walburg was in the backseat of the cop car

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #24
RSOVJR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full83size View Post
One thing I would highly recommend in addition to compression bandages would be the quikclot http://www.quikclot.com/QuikClot-Products.aspx A little spendy but they can save your life. As much as I dislike holywood stuff, the movie "shooter" was an accurate portrayal of how it can save your life when mark walburg was in the backseat of the cop car
Combat gauze is better. Easier on the patient, easier to apply, and easier to remove later.
Not quite stock either
Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #25
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

I do have a couple quick clots but I would only use them as a last resort. I am with Pace.

For my BOB medical supplies I am not overly concerned with gunshot wounds although they are a possibility. I am more worried about chopping my own hand with my Paxe. That is way more likely.

Anyone stumble across a pack like the Mystery ranch but about 3/4 to 1/2 the size? I am thinking of something about 3 times the size of a CLS bag for you military folk. I will post up if I find anything I like. It does not have to be Tacticool, but would be nice if it came in a color other than bright red.