Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough
Default Family Readiness Spreadsheet

If you have Excel this will help get you started. I plopped in some codes and such.

If this helps one family prepare itself for self sufficiency, it was worth it. Heck it already has mine so I guess making it was worth it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Family Readyness Inventory.zip (26.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
CopperTopToy
Registered Member

CopperTopToy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Family Readiness Spreadsheet

can you include a .xls version for all the po-folk who dont have the newest office suite...... my computer goes der whats that with .xlsx files

thanks,
Eric

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

80' Toyota Loonnggbed 80% stock and improving all the time
8274 Warn on CowCatcher bumper. New rear car smasher SOLD in Feb

91 FJ80 yard art
CopperTopToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Ask and ye shall receive. Hope it serves you well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Family Readyness Inventory xls.zip (26.5 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

AlaskaZJ,
Thank you for these files, a pain to start from scratch, and they can be peronalized for our own use. Shack
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
AlaskaZJ,
Thank you for these files, a pain to start from scratch, and they can be peronalized for our own use. Shack
Yah, they are a PIA to start from scratch. I searched the internet and couldn't find anything like it.

It is amazing how useful this little tool is turning out.

For those that don't know you can change the names of the tabs, etc etc. This is not protected so it is easy to change. I am going to keep changing it up as I need and will repost if I make any significant improvements.

Also if anyone here has any suggestions post them up. I will try to incorperate them into a future version. My wife is really good with excel (accountant) so don't be afraid to post up!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
CopperTopToy
Registered Member

CopperTopToy is on a distinguished road

Dang, why can't I see it. unzipped it and excel say it not a recognized format. Dam you office97

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

80' Toyota Loonnggbed 80% stock and improving all the time
8274 Warn on CowCatcher bumper. New rear car smasher SOLD in Feb

91 FJ80 yard art
CopperTopToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

If you use gmail you can upload and use via google docs. that was the band-aid we had to do at work until we got the new version of office on all our computers.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Tomahawk3C has disabled reputation

Brentt, that's really good... Thanks for that, was planning on doing something similar will go alot faster with your template. Great job

"Sua Sponte" - Army Rangers (If you gotta ask you just don't understand)

*****Vice President, Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers*****

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Misc. Tree Induced Body Mods.
Tomahawk3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Where did they/you come up with some of the numbers? they just seem crazy high. How many family members are they figuring for?
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Gazer is on a distinguished road

Definitely a good template for those who would like to have a method for tracking their supplies inventory. Thanks for sharing. As a way to improve, possibly add a tab for home inventory such as toilet paper, candles, wicks for lanterns, lighters, books (for knowledge or entertainment), methods for power supply (generator and gasoline or battery packs), tools and supplies on hand to repair house when bugging in, etc... I guess the possible things to itemize are almost endless.

Last edited by Gazer; 11-22-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

I used JW Rawles "list of lists" as a template for our house. its available online.

i have one printed off in multiple places, food storage, batteries, ammo, BOB etc. I am a list maker, you should see my budget sheet...I'm just a little OCD.

added link for the lazy:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...D_H5HICHHiByIA
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts

Last edited by billythedeadboy; 11-22-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added link
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco85 View Post
Where did they/you come up with some of the numbers? they just seem crazy high. How many family members are they figuring for?

Phildo, I have 5 people in my family. That list/spreadsheet is 100% my creation, I didn't get it from anywhere.

As for the numbers. I left some of the tabs filled in so people would have an idea of how it should work, not what is correct for every family. Your state of preparedness is up to you, mine is up to me.

I don't see one number that is "crazy high".

Mildew, you are welcome. If you have any suggestions/modifications you want/need as you use this, let me know.

Gazer, I will give that some thought. As I expand my inventory control I imagine I will organize the data differently and more efficiently.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

I have seen that List of List's. OMFG that is information overload. Good stuff to look at and have but not at all organized in a way I can use it.

His want/need listings are really hard to understand. Make an organized spreadsheet that calculates some simple to understand numbers, IMHO.

I am working on making the spreadsheet generate a "shopping" list that fits on a 8.5x11 piece of paper. Wife says it is easy to do, we just gotta do it.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Those numbers make more sense for 5 people.. Once I have kids I want to start getting somthing like this set up and ready, since you never know.

I'm sure we could live off the cats for a day or two. Course once I kill a cat the wife will kill me so I don't have to worry at all
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
akram
Registered Member

akram is on a distinguished road

I like it. I've done this with some other items in my household. I do this on a daily basis for my job. I prefer Microsoft Access but that's for security reasons mostly and that doesn't apply much here. But something you can do is sort the columns different. If you get rid of the merged cell in the first row and make that a heading instead you can custom sort the spreadsheet by value and column. For example. On the Brentt personal item inventory. Umerge row 1 then add a header with that info. The right click on the upper left block that highlights the whole sheet. Choose sort then custom. You can choose column C then Value then oldest to newest. This would sort everything by the date last serviced.

Also for food incase you have items that expire and the same with the first aid kit. I notice you have meds in there and well they expire no matter what anyone tells you. As does sunscreen and bug dope. It eventually breaks down. So if you add an expiration date you can have the items expiring first at the top of the page for easier inventory and replacement.

I think you have a good start here and the right idea. Just add some gold in there cause paper money isn't going to be worth crap if everything goes to hell.

Hope this all makes since and helps a little.

Arctic Offroad
akram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
stretch
Registered Member

stretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by akram View Post
Just add some gold in there cause paper money isn't going to be worth crap if everything goes to hell.
Very true!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

AKRam, thanks for the advice on the headers and sortability. I changed that on mine and I like how it works.

I already have an expiration date column on the food and First aid sheets. Am I missing something? Unless you are refering to the fact that I have NA in all the columns. Don't take my EXAMPLE sheet as what is actually on my sheet.

I left my BOB and FAK inventory on there but it was not complete or finished. Just the form was done Everyone should do their own!!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
AK2AZ
Registered Member

AK2AZ is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Brentt...I thought I was the only one who had extensive lists. Friends think I`m nuts when I print one for each outing occasion....but I rarely have a problem with forgetting anything. Good on ya...alot of people will benefit from your effort.
AK2AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

What makes you think gold would be worth a ****?

If it's a true SHTF situation, it will turn into a barter type "ecomony" I'd bet.

I have 24 rolls of toilet paper, will trade for that case of spagetti os.

What is a person going to do with a 5lbs bar of gold? Hold a door open? Beat someone with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akram View Post

I think you have a good start here and the right idea. Just add some gold in there cause paper money isn't going to be worth crap if everything goes to hell.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

In the history of the world, Gold has never been worth nothing....
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Gold will have more worth than paper money for sure, but I'd have to agree with Nate. Given the choice between owning precious metals or items which can immediately contribute to saving my life (like food, water filter, weapons, ammo, shelter, etc.) I'd have to take the latter. In SHTF the true value of precious metals will always still rely on the ability to find a person who has the items you need and then that person will have to be willing to make the trade. When things are truely bad (to a life threatening extent) I don't see someone trading away their food, weapons, flashlights, etc. so they can own a brick of gold, which like Nate said is only worth holding a door open if you can't find someone to barter with. Plus I don't see people being very friendly and opening to trading with strangers when things are dangerous and chaotic. I understand gold as an investment but it wouldn't be high on my list of items for a real SHTF in my opinion, more of an investment for when the economy tanks but the world isn't on the brink of chaos and destruction.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
RSOVJR
Registered Member

RSOVJR is on a distinguished road

Gold still has value even in places where it's constantly SHTF...
Not quite stock either
RSOVJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #23
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

It appears that every individual should maintain a stockpile of the things important to that individual, to one person it may be prescription drugs, to another it may be shelter, or food, or weapons. We all have to make our own assessments and prepare accordingly. I would think water, food, medicine, shelter, would be the practical minimums, weapons and supporting equipment, ammunition, spare parts, reloading equipment and supplies. would most likely be necessary to keep the initial items, and worst case, get more. Tools, yes, regular old hand tools will most likely be a valuable commodity to repair and build necessary items. This is just the tip of the iceberg and hopefully spin off more creative thinking on necessities.

In this scenario, the only security you have will be what is between your ears, information will be a valuable commodity, i;e: alternative power sources, fuel sources and production, basics such as electricity, pumps, mechanics, there will be a time when we will either get along with others to survive, or perish.

Food for thought........

Last edited by wasillashack; 11-25-2011 at 10:03 AM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #24
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
In this scenario, the only security you have will be what is between your ears, information will be a valuable commodity, i;e: alternative power sources, fuel sources and production, basics such as electricity, pumps, mechanics, there will be a time when we will either get along with others to survive, or perish.
Very good point. The laborers and blue collar worker with "hands-on" skills will be very valuable people when it comes to building, creating and mainting whatever resources are available. People like stock brokers and lawyers will have far less to contribute... depending on how bad things are of course.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #25
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOVJR View Post
Gold still has value even in places where it's constantly SHTF...
I guess it depends on what type of scenario any specific person is discussing. One man's SHTF might be another man's TEOTWAWKI. Opinions vary on what constitutes true chaos and disorder.

It also depends on how far reaching the event is. One reason regions which currently have consistant SHTF scenarios still value gold is because the rest of the world is not in the same vote. Meaning one person in that area can trade valuable possessions like food and water for gold because they can take that gold to a market outside the chaotic region where others are willing to trade for it because they do not share the desperate conditions. If the entire world was in chaotic times of unrest and starvation (very unlikely) then IMO very few people would value gold in the same respect they do now.

As far as just investing for a bad economy like inflation then I absolutely agree that as a long term investment you can't go wrong with gold. Just be careful about investing with those tv network gold companies like Gold Line. I've heard some stories on the tv about some of them being frauds.