Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough
Default Gold Rush!

No I don't mean those retards from my current town of Sandy, OR that are up in the state I love screwing up everything...hahaha

Gold and why you should have some.

Do some research on the collapse of Argentina. www.Survivalistboards.com has some pretty good first hand accounts of what happened and why.

Basically, their economy collapsed. They fled (money wise) to the Dollar. If the Dollar collapses, we need to run somewhere and that somewhere is Gold/Silver/Jems etc etc.

Read the entire thread about Bosnia I posted earlier in the First Aid thread. He talked about gold a couple times and says that it was a tradable good even in the War Torn Occupation of his 60k town for over a year. They were completely shut off from the outside, nobody in or out (save the black market people who had the balls to do try it, I imagine)

Anyway, you should have some gold to trade. Hopefully a collapse would not be a permanent thing and gold will get you back on your feet way faster than the dollar will.

Just my POV. I would love to hear others.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
02TJ
Registered Member

02TJ has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gold Rush!

I guess in my mind, gold is just another thing man places a value upon and if things ever got really bad, the value placed upon it may or may not be there.

Ken
02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road

I would rather have consumables to trade. food, fuel, weapons.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

well of coarse you have to have food/fuel/weapons. TEOTWAWKI would be more condusive to having hard goods to trade than gold, in the short term.

However, man will survive and will rebuild. Gold will be part of that rebuilding. What would you do if something like Argentina happened to you?

Imagine the US dollar is worth nothing but buttwipe tomorrow. The government redoes it's currency and they WILL set it on the gold standard again, if need be. What are you going to do? How will you rebuild?

Your trade items might be worthless (or atleast not as required as you think they will be). Gold has the track record of time. Your can of beeny weenies doesn't.

It is complex and one should look and thing about it.