Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
southcentralpirate
Registered Member

southcentralpirate is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpIyaIHsJbc

Soooo pretty interesting video. I'm posting it here in this forum because I'd rather not discuss the political BS-ing that typically happens to topics posted in general forum, rather I would like to think some you you are smarter than that and watch this video as a how-to survival scenario.

Yes, there is a political overtone to the video, but not what you might expect and I'm not gonna spoil it too much for you. So if your thin-skinned & insecure about your political belief system your best not watching it at all. Go back to stroking yourselves about a zombie apocalypse.

Its just over 41 minutes and has a moderate sprinkling of NSFW language.
southcentralpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation
Default Re: Interesting

As you said, it brings to light some interesting perspectives. I may be naive, but, I don't think legalizing any drug is a good move. The same people on the supply end will still be profitting, controlling prices by supply and demand, and protecting their vested interests by any means necessary-more violence. My 2 cents.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
deepmud

deepmud is on a distinguished road

I haven't watched the video, but historically, we have went from a lot of violence in the Prohibition days to less with booze made legal. The social costs of drugs seem higher to me - but making it illegal doesn't curtail it much.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Interesting watch. So you're telling me that if you outlaw guns, criminals will still have guns???? No way!

A good look at how things could be in this country if we keep things up...

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
southcentralpirate
Registered Member

What I got from watching this video was a couple of things.

1. When SHTF hunkering down with your guns, ammo and TP and waiting for the world to fix itself or going Mad Max will never, never work as a long term survival strategy. It has become a pet-peeve of mine over the last couple of years with people playing out hte whole zombie apocalypse scenarios. No offense if your one of those people. When presented with the opportunity for people to help their neighbors and complete strangers when SHTF the majority of people help out. Examples are everywhere. Sure there are aways a-holes who would rather shoot and loot, but the good people always outnumber the bad.

2. These communities banded together and demanded action from the government and got it AND then proceeded to sponsor their own local Representative to further their cause. For their efforts they received their own heavily armed, trained police force rather than having the risky task of defending themselves and still provide for and run a sizable farm operation that no doubt contributes nicely to the local and national economy. Very smart, also very civic of them not lowering themselves to a criminal level and taking the law into their own hands. Self defense shouldn't be a crime.

3. The Mexican drug cartels are brutal. No doubt they fancy themselves as modern-day Aztecs playing kick-ball with the heads of their rivals for sport when they're not using them as human postcards. The corporate media in this country is ignoring what is essentially a war right outside our gates. THats not a real surprise because from what I can tell since Vietnam I dont think any of the large news corps. in this country have ever gone into a combat zone where they where not safely "embedded" with the military and spoon fed information. "real" journalism in this country is barely breathing. It has been taken over by a parade of braying taking head that make 5-6 figure incomes whos main job seems to be creating fictitious or misleading drama and keeping people up to date on who was voted off their favorite reality show. We should be accustomed to their failures by now I guess ...just look at the middle-east conflicts and their coverage of them. I get better news coverage of US troops in Afgastain and American politics from http://www.aljazeera.com/

4.Mitt Romney is a ******bag Politics and policies aside for a moment I don't know why it was that his father George split from the rest of the Romney family in mexico, but family is still family even the crazy ones that you may not agree with. Though that whole blood atonement thing might make me reconsider leaving my family far, far away (This is not the Romneys case though) On top of that Mitt as governor of MA signing into law an assault weapon ban.
I know I heard these Mormon colonials say they would support Mitt for prez, but almost every issue they spoke about: immigration, drug legalization, guns, work visas, ectera ... during this mini-documentary Romney opposes. Talk about voting against your own self interest then expecting a candidate to flip 180 degrees once they are voted into office.

5. Finally, decriminalize marijuana . Tax and regulate it. It has to be by far the biggest cash crop the cartels have. Remove a majority of marijuana production away from the cartels and you take away their power. Many other highly processed drugs like Coke and Heroin just aren't as lucrative as marijuana is. People who end up using coke and other processed drugs were never going to be content with just smoking a doobie and drinking beer anyway so marijuana as a gateway drug is bull IMO

Thats all I got .
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

Interesting, learned something too.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Full83size
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcentralpirate View Post
What I got from watching this video was a couple of things.

1. When SHTF hunkering down with your guns, ammo and TP and waiting for the world to fix itself or going Mad Max will never, never work as a long term survival strategy. It has become a pet-peeve of mine over the last couple of years with people playing out hte whole zombie apocalypse scenarios. No offense if your one of those people. When presented with the opportunity for people to help their neighbors and complete strangers when SHTF the majority of people help out. Examples are everywhere. Sure there are aways a-holes who would rather shoot and loot, but the good people always outnumber the bad.

2. These communities banded together and demanded action from the government and got it AND then proceeded to sponsor their own local Representative to further their cause. For their efforts they received their own heavily armed, trained police force rather than having the risky task of defending themselves and still provide for and run a sizable farm operation that no doubt contributes nicely to the local and national economy. Very smart, also very civic of them not lowering themselves to a criminal level and taking the law into their own hands. Self defense shouldn't be a crime.

3. The Mexican drug cartels are brutal. No doubt they fancy themselves as modern-day Aztecs playing kick-ball with the heads of their rivals for sport when they're not using them as human postcards. The corporate media in this country is ignoring what is essentially a war right outside our gates. THats not a real surprise because from what I can tell since Vietnam I dont think any of the large news corps. in this country have ever gone into a combat zone where they where not safely "embedded" with the military and spoon fed information. "real" journalism in this country is barely breathing. It has been taken over by a parade of braying taking head that make 5-6 figure incomes whos main job seems to be creating fictitious or misleading drama and keeping people up to date on who was voted off their favorite reality show. We should be accustomed to their failures by now I guess ...just look at the middle-east conflicts and their coverage of them. I get better news coverage of US troops in Afgastain and American politics from http://www.aljazeera.com/

4.Mitt Romney is a ******bag Politics and policies aside for a moment I don't know why it was that his father George split from the rest of the Romney family in mexico, but family is still family even the crazy ones that you may not agree with. Though that whole blood atonement thing might make me reconsider leaving my family far, far away (This is not the Romneys case though) On top of that Mitt as governor of MA signing into law an assault weapon ban.
I know I heard these Mormon colonials say they would support Mitt for prez, but almost every issue they spoke about: immigration, drug legalization, guns, work visas, ectera ... during this mini-documentary Romney opposes. Talk about voting against your own self interest then expecting a candidate to flip 180 degrees once they are voted into office.

5. Finally, decriminalize marijuana . Tax and regulate it. It has to be by far the biggest cash crop the cartels have. Remove a majority of marijuana production away from the cartels and you take away their power. Many other highly processed drugs like Coke and Heroin just aren't as lucrative as marijuana is. People who end up using coke and other processed drugs were never going to be content with just smoking a doobie and drinking beer anyway so marijuana as a gateway drug is bull IMO

Thats all I got .

A few thoughts:

1. Part of me hopes that you are right, but i think there will be alot more negative out there than people think if it was to hit the fan. You see, the level of people that are entitlement minded is at all time high. If/when things get ugly, these people don't know how to work hard, and they are going to look to everyone else to feed them. When reality hits that they are going to starve to death, some will shape up and work, others will turn to taking advantage of the weak, and some will flat out continue to expect a hand-out.

If things were to happen when it's -10 in Anchorage, and there was no gas/electricity. How many people have woodstoves in Anchorage? Maybe 5%? That's scary stuff....

When you get a huge amount of people that are trained to rely on the government for everything, they are crippled. Alaska (unfortunately) is a prime example of this. The ammount of government money flowing into this state is pretty discusting. A guy doesn't have to work very hard to get a high paying job with benny's through the roof. What happens when all of that is gone in an instant? No food on the shelves. You're faced with beg, fight, or die.

I make sure I have enough salmon, moose, and cariboue to feed my family for an entire year, and make exceptions for a few others. Not everyone in Alaska does this. In some close knit communities on the water etc, things will probably hold out for a while. But alot of areas like Anchorage etc, things could get pretty ugly.

This is assuming total system melt-down. Meaning the entire system was to crash. Alaskas on the shelf food supply would be gone in anywhere from 2-14 days. Like I said, I hope you're right and I'm wrong. However looking at the numbers, things don't look so hot.

2. Agreed

3. Not someone I would want to run into

4. Agreed. I saw a picture describing Obama and Romney as McDonalds and Burger King debating about which of their foods are better for us.

5. I'm not sure. This is a hard topic for people to talk about and the notion of the government not being in control of pot etc is a hard notion for people to swallow.

As much as do not support drugs etc and think they are really bad, I give Ron Paul props for stating that according to the Constitution, being in control of drugs/drug laws is not part of the Federal Governments responsibility.

Last edited by Full83size; 10-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

An obsevation, in Mexico, nearly everything is accomplished by the proper sized bribe, commonly referred to there as "mordida"- the bite.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
southcentralpirate
Registered Member

Full83size

I know I'm right. Pick a disaster. Read the whole story, not just the negitive press. Read about how churches, governments, private charities and ordinary people help out in time of crisis.

Stockpiling a years worth of food is great If you can afford it, if you have the storage space, if said disaster doesn't destroy your cache. Your a hunter, well great. How successful do you suppose you would be if everybody hunted? How long do you suppose the resource would last. Game management has a tough enough time managing the hunting resources for about 10% of the states population http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/fhw06-ak.pdf Also stereotyping people who apply for or ask for assistance (government or otherwise) in SHTF situations as moochers/ entitlement seekers I think many would disagree with that assesment.

Like I was saying people holing up and hoarding resources while the rest of the population is back to work fixing and cleaning up after a SHTF disaster is lame. By all means people should conserve the resources they have acquired, but for them to just sit back on their hoard and gloat about how others are needy entitlement seekers because they didnt have the same opportunities as they were given..

Last edited by southcentralpirate; 10-09-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Full83size
Registered Member

I completely agree that churches etc are supposed to take care of people in times of need. Unfortunately, there are allot of churches that have kept busy being in debt to their eyeballs and are in no position to help anyone. But think about it, America feeds the world. Literally.... So if our Eco collapses, what is left?

I'm not gloating, it was just a statement. I'm also not stereotyping, it's a fact that the majority of Alaska is supported by government money. It's also a fact that there are a TON of people in these recent generations that are entitlement minded. I don't see that as stereotypical at all?

I completely agree about Alaskas resources. Read what I posted about Alaskas resources being wiped out in the case of a statewide/nation wide collapse.
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55862

If anything I would say that your last paragraph was extremely stereotypical. That us not my heart at all. Anyone who knows me well knows that I will bent over backwards I help people out. Typically my challenge is miss-managing my time to help others out before I help myself out. In the flip side of what you said, you have I help yourself before you can help someone else. It appeared that you might be implying that I have had more opportunities than others. I would argue the complete opposite. I have worked by hind end off for everything I have. The only thing I ever received from my dad was a lesson to work hard or what I have and not to expect a hand out if I have the means, no matter how hard it might seem. My position at work has come through a lot of freaking hard work from the ground up in a non uniOn construction/engineering company. I have two worn out shoulders to prove it. I have worked hard for every opportunity that I have taken advantage of.

I think that my comments were completely interpreted incorrectly. I do not wish to be confrontational at all. Did I say something to provoke you? That was not my intent whatsoever.

Last edited by Full83size; 10-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
southcentralpirate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full83size View Post
I completely agree that churches etc are supposed to take care of people in times of need. Unfortunately, there are allot of churches that have kept busy being in debt to their eyeballs and are in no position to help anyone. But think about it, America feeds the world. Literally.... So if our Eco collapses, what is left?

Government also holds a roll in emergency response. Nat. guard, local police, EMTs ectera. To think that the gov. is responsible just to dole out checks to people is disingenuous. Churches are comprised of members of the community and serve as a focal point for more than just handing out baked goods and bottled water. Churches are in debt? news to me. then again if in debt means paying a mortgage and bills associated with running a church then it has no relevance to their role in providing a base for people to congregate around in emergency situatios. Also ecomies rise and fall all the time, look at what happened to Russia in the 80s-90s or what happen here in the 20s-30s tough times for sure but complete chaos not hardly.

I'm not gloating, it was just a statement. I'm also not stereotyping, it's a fact that the majority of Alaska is supported by government money. It's also a fact that there are a TON of people in these recent generations that are entitlement minded. I don't see that as stereotypical at all?

So thats retired military, seniors covered by medicare, young children, active military, a homeowers who claims a tax rebate for home improvement (my favorite kind of hypocrite when discussing 'entitlements') and countless other personnel that are employed either directly or indirectly by government or receive some sort of assistance, not just some welfare mamas and their kin right? Census information would indicate that the former outnumber the later by a large amount. This entitlement argument where people want to beat on people who receive PA, yet not want to address the larger group of "entitlement seekers" is old and pretty well predictable I hear it at least several times a year so my apologies if thats not hte argument your trying to make because it started out sounding exactly like that. What one person calls a government entitlement another person might call a government obligation.

I completely agree about Alaskas resources. Read what I posted about Alaskans resources being wiped out in the case of a statewide/nation wide collapse.
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55862

Dont worry too much People that don't hunt or didn't grow up in homes where there was game meat aren't going to arm themselves and go out and start hunting/ fishing en-mass to survive anyway they would either not know how or wouldn't know what to do once they were lucky enough to hit something. What they will succeed in doing is taxing an already limited resource. Civilation didn't just start farming because they liked planing pretty things and watching them grow

If anything I would say that your last paragraph was extremely stereotypical. That us not my heart at all. Anyone who knows me well knows that I will bent over backwards I help people out. Typically my challenge is miss-managing my time to help others out before I help myself out. In the flip side of what you said, you have I help yourself before you can help someone else. It appeared that you might be implying that I have had more opportunities than others. I would argue the complete opposite. I have worked by hind end off for everything I have. The only thing I ever received from my dad was a lesson to work hard or what I have and not to expect a hand out if I have the means, no matter how hard it might seem. My position at work has come through a lot of freaking hard work from the ground up in a non uniOn construction/engineering company. I have two worn out shoulders to prove it. I have worked hard for every opportunity that I have taken advantage of.

Thats great you had a cheapskate father like some of the rest of us. (Yeah, my dad taught me to prove myself through hard work too LOL I know better now that I'm a dad myself.) Having a good father/ role model growing up is not something everyone is fortunate enough to have. Working hard does not always equal success and nobody succeeds alone even the most successful person has a team of people that contributes to that success

I think that my comments were completely interpreted incorrectly. I do not wish to be confrontational at all. Did I say something to provoke you? That was not my intent whatsoever.

No, that wasnt my intention at all with that final statement. I'll edit that and put in some better pronouns for ya.

Even in the case of a prolonged war (the most extreme SHTF scenario) people extend a hand out to their fellow man. Heck, nowadays a major disaster strikes somewhere in the world its almost a race to see which country can get there first and provide the best aid.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
anchak508
Registered Member

anchak508 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcentralpirate View Post
Full83size

I know I'm right. Pick a disaster. Read the whole story, not just the negitive press. Read about how churches, governments, private charities and ordinary people help out in time of crisis.

Stockpiling a years worth of food is great If you can afford it, if you have the storage space, if said disaster doesn't destroy your cache. Your a hunter, well great. How successful do you suppose you would be if everybody hunted? How long do you suppose the resource would last. Game management has a tough enough time managing the hunting resources for about 10% of the states population http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/fhw06-ak.pdf Also stereotyping people who apply for or ask for assistance (government or otherwise) in SHTF situations as moochers/ entitlement seekers I think many would disagree with that assesment.

Like I was saying people holing up and hoarding resources while the rest of the population is back to work fixing and cleaning up after a SHTF disaster is lame. By all means people should conserve the resources they have acquired, but for them to just sit back on their hoard and gloat about how others are needy entitlement seekers because they didnt have the same opportunities as they were given..

I think the point is just about everyone has the opportunity. I know your going to say that is false and some people are poor and others are just born rich which is true to some extent. I would like to believe that if you want something bad enough in America then you can acheive it. I believe if you are poor and try hard enough you can be sucessful. I believe if you want to stock pile food then you can do so.

If you just sit around and assume everyone is going to help you (govt or just fellow men) then you deserve to starve. No desire and the ability to Suck on *** of govt and fellow Americans is why most people voted for Obama. If you think its not true.... open your eyes.
TH-350-203-205 triple stick
d60 Highsteer, 14bff Detroit and discs
warn 9.5xp

05' Silverado
anchak508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

I watched the 41 minuets of that video and it be best summed up 1:38 into it "very ****ing stupid"