Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
tyrex13
Registered Member

tyrex13 is on a distinguished road
Default Head's Up MRE's

I was in the ER last night and went to the cafeteria. It seems you can buy new, retail packaged MRE's at the Providence cafeteria for $72/case. Seemed like a good deal.

They are these

http://www.moreprepared.com/moreinfo...FcN_QgodkkkAYg
tyrex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
alaskangiles
Registered Member

alaskangiles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Head's Up MRE's

Did you happen to try it? The lack of information on there website on storage and shelf life is kinda scary... Price is fair, and if it task good, why not? Be fine if you rotated them out. I wonder how they are shipping them with the heaters???? Hmmm

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

"Go ahead skin that smoke wagon and see what happen's"

My butt itches and my finger stinks.
alaskangiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
DokWatson
Registered Member

DokWatson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
Did you happen to try it? The lack of information on there website on storage and shelf life is kinda scary... Price is fair, and if it task good, why not? Be fine if you rotated them out. I wonder how they are shipping them with the heaters???? Hmmm
Sopakco's Sure-Pak 12 MRE meals are fully prepared, ready to eat, delicious, nutritious and shelf-stable. These meals meet daily nutritional requirements, and can be stored without refrigeration for up to five years based on storage temperatures. At 70 degrees Farenheit, the meals can be stored up to 5-1/2 years.

We've had their cafe2go products out in the field before. Was actually pretty good stuff, I would hope their MRE's are the same.

God**** lesbians... stealing all the good P***Y!

The garage is for drinking of beer, and mechanical endeavors. Not for storage of random SH!T.

Last edited by DokWatson; 03-31-2013 at 11:00 AM.
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

AirmanSkee has disabled reputation

I get mine all from on base, and might have a line on some more if anybody wants them. I usually just jump on any extras left over after exercises and what not.
AirmanSkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
MrsRsov
Registered Member

MrsRsov is on a distinguished road

I've read a few different reviews that say they are smaller than regular MRE's, fwiw.
MrsRsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanSkee View Post
I get mine all from on base, and might have a line on some more if anybody wants them. I usually just jump on any extras left over after exercises and what not.
The commissary used to sell them. Haven't seen any for a long time. If you can jump on some and the price is right, I'd like to get them.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
The commissary used to sell them. Haven't seen any for a long time. If you can jump on some and the price is right, I'd like to get them.
I havent been to the commisary too much as I live in the dorms, but I know that we can get them through supply. When we run the exercises alot of the times extras get ordered, and I like to pick those up when I can. I will let everyone know if I think I can get my hands on some, might be a box here and there. Ive got 3 or 4 cases myself.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

Doe's anybody have access to the heating tab's? They work really good for making camp fires.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

I'll see what I can do. I work with CE Material Control, and I will see if we can get what is left over from the exercises and if there are any scraps left afterwards.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

They were $50 a box at 907 Surplus. Dunno if the new owner raised the cost though.

No idea on the Comissary, haven't been in that place in probably 7-8 years. Rather spend a tiny bit more at Fred Meyers or Walmart and not deal with the dependasauruses and the baggers that expect to get $20 tips for $50 of groceries.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 03-31-2013 at 10:35 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Commissary sells them for $89.95+ surcharge. They usually have them piled up by the freezer stuff.

Heating tabs....your pretty much hosed on that deal. When I was still over at my store I tried every company out there to get them shipped up here is a no go. I had them shipped to my parents in Ohio and had them flat rate them to me. Was the only way around it. Could also possibly talk with the Boondocks in Eagle River about throwing a case on one of his pallets getting barged up (to worn out to remember the guys name John?). I'm sure he'd do it if you offered him 5-10 boxes. Not bad considering there only about $1 a box and I think 25 boxes to a case.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
Commissary sells them for $89.95+ surcharge. They usually have them piled up by the freezer stuff.

Heating tabs....your pretty much hosed on that deal. When I was still over at my store I tried every company out there to get them shipped up here is a no go. I had them shipped to my parents in Ohio and had them flat rate them to me. Was the only way around it. Could also possibly talk with the Boondocks in Eagle River about throwing a case on one of his pallets getting barged up (to worn out to remember the guys name John?). I'm sure he'd do it if you offered him 5-10 boxes. Not bad considering there only about $1 a box and I think 25 boxes to a case.
Don Hanks is the owner if that's who you are refering to.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
alaskangiles
Registered Member

I was close? John/Don it's all the same, lol. A little bottle of something might go a long way in there also....

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
greenoval
Registered Member

greenoval has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
They were $50 a box at 907 Surplus. Dunno if the new owner raised the cost though.
Is that what happened there? I've been impressed with the improved organization and professionalism at the store but it's come at a (sharply increased) price on most items.

It is also--
"... difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" --Upton Sinclair
greenoval is offline   Reply With Quote