Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Prepared for Alaska!?

Prepared for Alaska!? Are you prepared? How have you hedged your bets for survival in Alaska? All threads related to being ready for the worst Alaska has to dish out belong in this forum.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #26
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alaska compared to the lower 48, wheeling

^^ Ive seen that happen in Nevada when I was in high school, weird.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #27
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

jeepnawillys has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Then you're going to have problems. Even some of our simplest trails have water crossings that can/will be over your hubs.
just saying i take lots of care crossing water. things go wrong quick

Quote:
No, being an idiot killed him. He went in during the spring when the water was low, and then tried to come back out in the fall when the water was high. He hadn't looked at a map to find the tram that was just downstream from him, had no idea how to take care of game in the field, and then either ate a poison berry or simply starved to death.
from what i hear he did alot wrong. first off iam not trying to live off the land or be some super survival dude. before i set out a general trip will be mapped out and i will make a face book page so friends can track me and for my safety checking in.

Quote:
However, other tourists have now been killed or nearly killed in that area trying to duplicate his trip.
first thing when i say iam going to alaska people tell me dont die. thats not the plan. its like nobody has ever drove off the highway in alaska. not my first time in a jeep or outdoors. and things go wrong. and over the 3/4 months of this trip iam shure they will. when by myself dirt roads and highways only but if i meet up with someone then ill do a lil more. yes a fliped rig can make things bad quick. or just break a axle and then slip and fall and break a arm. 20 miles is past a days hike when you dont know of rescue at the trail head and you have a broken arm. i know the risks and my life is on the line and i am risking anyone that might come to help me if things go bad.

Quote:
I don't think it'll work too well, but it might be worth experimenting with. In the alpine areas, our soils are rocky when they aren't bogs, so I think you'd have difficulty hammering it down. Or you'll find yourself going down into a vegetative mat 4' thick that simply isn't going to hold a single post. Pull-Pals sink DEEP here, but they work. Also, no trees in alpine/tundra.
ill look into a pull pal. our soil is mostly too hard for them to bite

Quote:
Depends on where in the state you are. It can snow almost any time of the year. Seriously, I've been in Prudhoe Bay with snow falling on the Fourth of July. You won't see anything colder than 30 degrees in the summer, but you should have gear with you to be comfortable in 35-40 degrees. In southcentral, it can be overcast and drizzly for a couple weeks at a time. It won't necessarily be constant rain; think of it more like Seattle. As Ken said, the interior can get thunderstorms, but those aren't as common in southcentral.
longs stenches of wet and rainy would suck

Quote:
You can't bring any handguns or any semi-auto long-guns through Canada. Just get a shotgun with bear slugs.
ill order some slugs pretty quick and practice. just dont want to be kicked witha mule then need to get a second shot
off.
Quote:
Driving up to tour around "expedition style" is a very different experience than a wheelin' trip. It's very easy for a casual trip to suddenly turn into a survival situation; Alaska can be unforgiving even for those of us who have spent our lives here and understand how things work. Google "Metal Creek TJ" and watch the video.

I think your focusing on the dirt highways (Top of the World, Dalton, McCarthy, Denali) with their occasional short forays (a mile or two) on side-tracks is the smarter tactic than coming up and trying to do any serious wheelin'. Otherwise, I could easily see you stranded by yourself 20 miles from nowhere on the side of a hill with a busted axle or an overturned Jeep when suddenly a wet downpour turns into sleet.

You also need to know that our trails don't tend to be loops; ie. you're not going to start in one town, take a 4x4 path, and end up on a road or in another town (like you do on the Rubicon Trail). Most of the 4x4 trails will be in and out on the same path.
it looked like alot of trails were that way. for the reason the trail goes somewhere. kinda good. less chance of going though a bad spot i can go bacwards though and just hoping the rest of the trail is not that bad. being on my own it would be better to get to a bad spot and go look its camp. and that will be the end of the trail for me.
this jeep is more of a 4wheel drive backpack. good way to go sightseeing. just a cruz trip. but then again down here what i call go look at flowers jeeping is hard core for most. so it depends

Last edited by RWC; 12-11-2013 at 10:09 AM.
jeepnawillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #28
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

yeah that metal.creek video make you shiver. way to much water for me to even think about crossing with a trailer. iam happy camping on shore. Eveyone up there likes to keep things a secret it seams, i can understand why. but for me planning a trip its hard to judge the trail on a whole from a map with a 1:300,000 scale. the delorme atlas and gazetteer is the best i have found so far. nobody makes a off road milepost style book. so iam on there asking about the trails and conditions to build my own folder up for the trip. ill be on ditr roads 90% of the time but i do like to turn down roads. so any help with trails and roads to avoid or just what to watch for helps.

thanks again for all your help and concern. with your input i hope to make a great trip out of this

Last edited by jeepnawillys; 12-11-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #29
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

just read a article from usa today about extended camping in alaska. in the must have list they have a snake bite kit! really? i was going to leave my snake stuff home....
this is why i want to go explore your state. so much is wrote by people that dont seam to know.
lots of myths.
my better judgment says i wont find any reptiles unless it was someones escaped pet. i could be wrong so iam going to see myself
Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #30
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnawillys View Post
just read a article from usa today about extended camping in alaska. in the must have list they have a snake bite kit! really? i was going to leave my snake stuff home....
this is why i want to go explore your state. so much is wrote by people that dont seam to know.
lots of myths.
my better judgment says i wont find any reptiles unless it was someones escaped pet. i could be wrong so iam going to see myself
LOL! No, we definitely don't have snakes. Even escaped pet reptiles don't last long outside.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
Toy4Fun
Registered Member

Toy4Fun is on a distinguished road

"Everyone up there likes to keep things a secret it seams, i can understand why. "
Actually you probably don't understand why until you've lived here for a few years and experienced what the trails are like. A mellow trail in dry conditions one day can the next send you sliding over the edge if it rains. Unlike in the lower 48, every trail up here crosses creeks or rivers, and those can be deep or shallow depending on the weather or snow melt. Mud and tundra are part of the deal on most trails, being stuck alone is not a good idea especially when there are no trees to winch to.
I think it's great what you are planning, I would just advise against going alone down spur roads off the main dirt roads. People are not trying to keep the trails secret, they're just not to giving out information simple for safety reasons. It's just not smart or safe to go wheeling alone up here (unless of course your Dusty and your rig is built for it and you've done it for years). I found it frustrating at first when I moved here, but after going wheeling with some folks and testing my winch over and over using them as anchors, I realized that wheeling solo isn't safe. I'd advise to explore all the roads that have been suggested and join up locals for some trail runs. The Dalton, Steese, and Denali highway are improved gravel "roads" that offer amazing views and wilderness adventures.

"Real life is interesting, unlike when I was in school, first you get the test and then the lesson.....!"
Toy4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

If you plan on going on trails and not just the gravel roads I don't think dragging a trailer will work out.

Check out Sven's page, they did a trip a few years ago I think similar to what you are trying to do.

http://www.xxxpedition.com/

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
acruxksa
Registered Member

acruxksa will become famous soon enough

Plenty to see on the dirt roads mentioned above, then head to the meet and greet in June and join up with some locals for trail runs so you aren't going solo. Best of both worlds.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #34
kbeefy
Registered Member

kbeefy is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking trailer goes to the trailhead for a basecamp, spike out trailer-less for day trips.

I made a 'blog'!!

'00 F350 7.3, Really big trailer
'86 VW Syncro Vanagon, 2.5l subbie transplant
I only own one of the below vehicles anymore.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #35
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
I'm thinking trailer goes to the trailhead for a basecamp, spike out trailer-less for day trips.

this will be the plan on the short "spur" still trails.
thanks RWC for fixing my post.
don't want to up set you guys by saying you keep your trails a secret. i understand why for many reason why you dony want the info all over the net.
Rain, shine or late snow ill be up there this summers in my lil jeep, hope you guys can "test" my gear combo and set up before i go. the jeep is going to to get all new seals and a once over. building a semi float rear now to get rid of the taper axle housing and the worn out truetrac. the trailer is a 1/4 generator trailer. the plan is to build a small camper ( more of a dry place to sleep and store gear.
If welcome i would be glad to attend the meet and great and tag along for some rides.
at that point i hope to meet some of your and hopefully get invited on some runs.
seams to be alot of knowledge on this board. hope i can draw from it, so i can make my trip safe and fun. please throw at me any scenarios you can come up with.
iam just getting over a bad head cold. iam not one to get sick. i knew i need to carrie meds (not big on taking stuff) but it drove home the point i need a week of food and water, easy to eat like a mre and and at least 6/7 gallons of driving water set aside for if i get sick and cant move.
in my life of being out its not normally one bad thing that goes worng its a few bad things that happen back to back.
if this is your dream trip how would you do it and what would you take? any one that want to tag along on my tour would be great.

Last edited by jeepnawillys; 12-13-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #36
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
thanks for the link. just poked around there, will more tonite. seams to be what I'm after.
looks like lots of unavoidable mud. my 33"s are starting to feel small. but not much bigger fits on a early jeep. also the dana30 front wont like it much. looks like alot of winching.

is the pull pal the most popular up there?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #37
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnawillys View Post
thanks for the link. just poked around there, will more tonite. seams to be what I'm after.
looks like lots of unavoidable mud. my 33"s are starting to feel small. but not much bigger fits on a early jeep. also the dana30 front wont like it much. looks like alot of winching.

is the pull pal the most popular up there?
PullPals are popular. I've picked up a WASP, but I admit I actually haven't tested it out yet. I should probably go out and bury a Jeep to see what it can do.

You'll be surprised at what you can still do with 33"s and a short wheelbase up here.

Dana 30s tend to last longer as well due to the dampness of our trails.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

There are a number of good dirt road trips. I didn't see petersville, mcgarthy and it's offshoot around the park, nabesna on the lists so far. All offer great scenery and opportunities for hiking and wildlife.

I don't care for the secret fishing hole mentality but those are the rules on this board. I have no problem recommeding trails. If I recommend a run and you die there that's your business. I would be more comfortable once I have a better feel for the experience you want. Do you want to spend a week earning the experience and seeing some awesome country or do you want a mild to semi-moderate challange where you can go in and out in a day.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #39
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

well a few years ago when i bought my warn i did not want smittybuilt. if i need a winch i was stuck and did not want it to fail. but now smitybuilt has come along way and i may look at the wasp.
down here on the tight mountain trails my 33s shine, keeps the jeep low and being short and narrow it takes a big short rock to hang me up. and being small i can pick my line and not have to flex though the line.
just the mud makes me want bigger. $5000 in gas at a minimum rebuilding the jeep for a lil bigger tire is not going to happen.

petersvill is on my list, do you mean mcgarthy or mccarthy? need to look up nabesna.
both snowbear, would like to spent as much time as i can in dirt. from just poking down dirt roads to some good jeeping. ill be going alone so that steers alot of my choices. more of length and difficulty will tell me when to turn around and spend the nite. would like to spend most my nites just out and alone. go into what ever town i can find for a hot shower and gas and restocking.
i will unhook the trailer for day run with other wheelers and if find a killer spot and base camp for a few days.
My uncle says take my top. i would be ok for the summer but not in winter. he's shure i wont go back to the lower 48
Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #40
kbeefy
Registered Member

many, many vacationers turned into residents.

I made a 'blog'!!

Old 12-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #41
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Taking the top would be wise - Summers can be cold and rainy.

I only know of a couple folks with a Pullpal and I've never actually seen one used on the trail if that means anything. I'm sure it can be a very useful tool though if you aren't alone you should be just fine with finding winch anchors.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #42
kbeefy
Registered Member

I've used a pull-pall. They're pretty dang handy. They're expensive enough that I've never bought one. Simple enough that I'd probably try building my own.

I made a 'blog'!!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #43
Speedo
Registered Member

Speedo is on a distinguished road

You might want to consider a shovel and a small chainsaw as part of your trail tools. Fallen trees can be useful as a buried deadman, a fallen tree might need to be removed to continue on a trail, especially if it is on the way back to a trailhead.
Fallen trees can be a good source of firewood and a chainsaw can be vital to getting it into manageable sized pieces but special care needs to be taken with fires depending on weather and terrain. My wife and I travel back into areas where you are pretty much on your own and you have to be able to take care of nearly any situation that can come up. We travel with two rigs, carry spare parts and tools to facilitate our own repairs.

Here's a liink to an old thread on Pirate you might enjoy.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...d-one-rig.html

Gus

Last edited by Speedo; 12-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #44
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

I never wheel without my chainsaw.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #45
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

might look into building my own pull pal.
i have a 3/4 shovel under the hood (military) and was thinking of a full length also.also have 24" bow saw i carrie just for downed trees. i have always wanted someing with a short bar for jeeping. but need comes before want on this trip. space and weight rule. but if the vote is i NEED one for back country travel then ill make a spot.
if my uncle talks me into staying the winter ill flat tow the jeep behind my 4 wheel drive suburban.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #46
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

any weard laws up there? besides common sense and curtesy?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #47
kbeefy
Registered Member

No. Coming from California there's nothing unexpected.

Don't steal, don't drive drunk, drive on the right side of the road. You are expected to stop at stop signs. It's pretty easy to figure out.

I made a 'blog'!!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #48
Sean76
Sick of Idiots!

Sean76 is on a distinguished road

Here's a liink to an old thread on Pirate you might enjoy.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...d-one-rig.html

Gus[/QUOTE]

Awesome write up, I just spent the last 45 minutes reading
Sean76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #49
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

Talking Re: Alaska compared to the lower 48, wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Don't steal, don't drive drunk, drive on the right side of the road. You are expected to stop at stop signs. It's pretty easy to figure out.
If you have been to California then thats asking a lot from the people in this state. Ever hear of the California stop?
I got a ticket for no door handles on my jeep in maui , came with a windshield ticket also ( rolled the jeep a few days before). After seeing the judge I found out the law was ment for the mini truck guys that shaved there handles and the firefighter could not get in. Dismissed.
Going to cover some miles in your state and want to do it right.

And the pirate tread about the winter trip to brocks cahin was killer. What iam looking foward too. Well in the summer and more tame. But the challenge calls me.
Down here you worrie about safety but you are always a few miles walk to a warm house (or much need ac in the summer). Cell phones work everywhere and parts are on every corner. Only on was the heat on with a broken rig. Nobody was in danger but my buds buggie broke a d60 knuckle on thursdays nite before last years koh. He realy did not want to leave his rig as a obstacle.

I need to deside if my flip flop loveing self can make it a winter.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #50
jeepnawillys
Registered Member

well as I lean into more then just a summer stay I think about winter prep for the rigs. injected scb350 in the sub and a buick 231 v-6 in the jeep. Kats site says 100 watt up to 5 gts and 150watts up to 8qts.. both motors take 5 qts on a change with filter and hold a quart or so un changed. both are listed as 4x5"so i was leaning towards the 150 watt. the buick is notoriously slow to make oil pressure, so i want to help it all i can. both have auto transmissions, is a heat there recommended? battey heater? its all probably over kill for anchorage but iam not shue about the rest of the state. good heater/defroster and whipers. what about tires? just bought a set of 265/75/16 geo -trac for the burb and found a set of new but old tread style 33/12.5/15 mtrs for the jeep. waiting for him to get back in town. hmm will santa bring the lil jeep some new shoes before christmas?
I have four good chains fitted for the mtrs but need something for the burb.

oh dang look at the time....sleep is needed. The Alaska hook is set deep.

A optimist hopes things will go right, a pessimist thinks things will go wrong and a realist KNOWS things will go wrong.