Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Shooting, Firearms, and Reloading

Shooting, Firearms, and Reloading Looking for a new pistol, purchased a new rifle, have a range report, tell us about it here. All firearm related topics, including political, belong in this forum.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: group buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Also I received a few packages that were just flat rate boxes with the ammo dumped in. Those boxes aren't exactly sturdy so you can imagine how they held up with 40lbs of ammo in it. They were barely taped together and ammo was falling out!
Sending ammo in unmarked boxes is a Federal offense, USPS or not. A guy was doing this same thing in IL when I was working at Fedex. We had about 300 lbs of ammo come open on our sort belt. It could have ended so much worse than it did. Yeah, that guy is doing some time.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

As far as I know he didn't get in trouble, not that'd I'd really care anyway, he is the one that sent it like that.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

To ship large amounts of ammunition, you have to be a Certified HazMat Shipper which requires initial and annual refresher training. Some small amounts can be shipped as "ORM-D" depending on the mode of transportation.(truck, aircraft,ship) If you look at the boxes a case of ammunition comes in it will have ORM-D on the outside. I am not aware of any circumstance that allows shipping in a USPS Flat Rate box , this has been discussed at length several times here.
There is a lot more to the HazMat shippers regs, like quantities, marking of packaging, whether or not the HazMat is in original packaging or not, mode of transportation etc. I'm going from memory here, it's been 10 years since I was a certified shipper, for domestic ad IATA shipping. I'm sure some of this has changed. And now back to our scheduled program....
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
nate
Registered Member

I don't have time to do another group buy, but I found this guy:
http://www.ammo2u.com/index.php

I am working on pricing on bulk purchases. I'm not sure if it will be better than local once shipped, but it's worth a shot. If someone wants to head it up, I'll pass on the info when I have it.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #30
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road

I am just looking for primers now. I bought everything else already here and there locally.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
nate
Registered Member

Someone had mentioned they wanted to put together a group buy if I wasn't, I forget who it was though. I'm not going to twist anyone's arm, but thought I'd share the info.... and I could use some ammo too.

Last edited by nate; 06-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.