Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #26
Guido
Outbound

Guido is on a distinguished road

lmao, Jurasic Parts is awesome!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:37 AM   #27
bigun
Registered Member

bigun is on a distinguished road

After action report:
As some know The IFSJA.org annual Ouray Co. invasion was july the 13th-17th. Truck was barely made road worthy the day before with the installation of new windshield. I left the morning of the 13th at 04:30 hrs found out that dash lights don't work! Trip to the interstate that I usually run in an hr took 1.5 when you are using engine noise as way to judge speed you will go slower. LOL Ran out of propane in Bayfield NM seemed to not be making that good of fuel milage. After assembling fuel transfer hose and dumping BBQ tank into big tank I was able to get to propane supplier and fill up $1.32 pg. sweet! :t: Got to Ouray set up camp went out to find place to refill tank went to local gas station Bad move price was $2.53 pg then they added sales tax on top of road tax . :smile: I called home to talk to buddie who helped build rig he stated that he had left propane adaptor on full rich Duh. Leaned it out then started tightening up all the header bolts that had loosened up then replaced 3 that fell out thanks to Flint who had a set extra This was an ungoing problem I was always tightening header bolts. because I had used so much propane on the way up I was only able to make one trail run but it did show that what Craig and I were trying to accomplish with build works. We did trail that climbed up to about 12K feet where others were running hot mine didn't where others had to back up to get around some of the switch backs all I had to do was crank the wheel and goose it.
Road manners
truck is very stable at any speed when you consider that tires are not balanced there is no sway bar, steering stabiliser and front end was not realigned after replacement of tie rod end. I was able to drive down the Hwy with only 2 fingers to hold on the road. It does not wander nor is there any evedence of death wobble when hitting bumps in the road.
Things that need to be done:
heat shields: when we ran 3.5 inch exhaust we tucked it up as high in the frame as we could to protect it. Problem 3 inch cross over under rear out put of transfer case may have caused it to start leaking. 3.5 under drivers feet and propane tank caused much driver discomfert and caused tank to obsorb heat to the point that I had to soak tank with water and lst of my ice to cool it down enough for it to fill up on way home. Also need to insulate cab at fire wall lots of heat coming in there too. Hand throttle on gear shift would be handy both on the trail and road. Parking brake because there won't always be rocks to put under tires. Comunications every truck on trail ride needs to at least have a CB hand held just didn't do it not loud enough to hear over engine noise. On bord air would be nice I didn't need this time but who knows at later date when your wheels are 8 lugs an air impact would be nice when changing out a tire. New door seals as well as fixing doors so they can be opened from the inside are also on the list of things to fix this winter. We are also talking about making some half doors for summer trail use. Next do not drive trail truck for long distances on Hwy next year I'll trailer rig with 100 gallon tank bolted to triler so I don't have to pay through the nose for fuel.

Last edited by bigun; 07-24-2005 at 07:42 AM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #28
HeavyMetal
Registered Member

HeavyMetal is on a distinguished road

Propane is cool...

So...What did you name the "old" beast...?
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #29
bigun
Registered Member

we have been kicking the name Walk-A-bout around as everybody thinks it was in the mad max series. Plus in our mind it looks kinda like something from there.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #30
phillyman
Registered Member

phillyman is on a distinguished road

I think it's Bad A$$, I'm all for the ghetto fab!! Save money it's just a wheeler!!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #31
bigun
Registered Member

Thank you, we are now in the process of refining our ideas(actully we are taking a break and cleaning up the shop) discussing what worked and what needs to be fixed overall the rig worked as expected little glitchs have popped up like propane guage leaking, header bolts that keep backing out, the need for heat shields on the exhaust, wire loom that some how came loose and burned on exhaust pipe. Just all the joys of an off road rig.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #32
bigun
Registered Member

Default Re: extreme Make over Jeep style

Several weeks ago Black Bart called He said a group was wanting to run his short trail and did I want to go? Well here is the aftermath of that trip!
THe broken front drive shaft

Here is the fender that I ended up with the whole truck lying on it's side against the hill! One of these days I 'll get a copy of the video to show how this all happened

Here if you look close at the bottom you can see where the sheet metal is torn
Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #33
bigun
Registered Member

The rest of these are just to show what the truck looks like complete to this point. I still need rock rails, exoskeleton and paint among other things.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #34
bigun
Registered Member

Dang it!!! Well we went out again yesturday one of the other FSJ guys clem came down from Alb with his stock J20 and again I broke the front drive shaft! When I went with 37s on a dana 44 everyone said it would be the axle that went instead it has been the front drive shaft, unfortunatly the young lady who was taking pictures didn't get that many shots of my truck.
My Hibred

Clem's stock J20

down the first ledge

Clem coming down right after this everybody had to fall to and help him get down. He wisely bypassed the rest of the trail as it was all ledges going up one of which took my driveshaft out!
Old 05-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #35
bigun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Propane is cool...

So...What did you name the "old" beast...?
Well we finally came up with a name, or should I say that Black Bart came up with it and I agreed that it fit!!!!

The name of the rig is
"CROM" The God of Steel from the Conan seires
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #36
The_Emu
Registered Member

The_Emu has disabled reputation

I'd like to see this build. The links to all your pictures are broken.
The_Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #37
bigun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Emu View Post
I'd like to see this build. The links to all your pictures are broken.
Unfortunatly the site they were on was hacked and mine are on my old computer that isn't working anymore. I have a cal out to friends to see who has pictures to replace those that are lost.

Last edited by bigun; 12-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #38
COLOFIREMAN
Registered Member

COLOFIREMAN is on a distinguished road

Whats up brother!!?
COLOFIREMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #39
bigun
Registered Member