Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 02-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Red face Brake job

It's 4wd so it fits the category

I thot rockwells were heavy

Took a butt load of heat and all my 3/4 impact could give to break the axle bolts loose.

Now waiting on parts

Last edited by snowbear; 02-07-2016 at 05:53 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
snowbear

Default Re: Brake job

Seals went out and ruined two perfectly good brake discs

Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
CopperTopToy
Registered Member

CopperTopToy is on a distinguished road

So the brake assembly is a sub assembly not inline with the axleshaft? its not a wet brake like a wet clutch?

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

80' Toyota Loonnggbed 80% stock and improving all the time
8274 Warn on CowCatcher bumper. New rear car smasher
CopperTopToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

When you are done with that is the transmission in the f350 next?

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTopToy View Post
So the brake assembly is a sub assembly not inline with the axleshaft? its not a wet brake like a wet clutch?
Yeah Case did that for years, I think most other backhoes are like that too, I've only worked on a 580 and John Deere 310. Pretty easy to work on. Scott I have a 1" gun and socket set if you ever need to use it.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 02-07-2016 at 03:34 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
snowbear

I can't speak to most hoes. This runs off a pony shaft slaved to the main shaft thru the transaxle. That outer shaft has a pinion like gear that meshes to a ring gear in the housing. They are dry brakes and there is a similar assembly on the other side but w/o the parking brake component.

This is the second time I've done this side. I've wondered if there was some kind of brake lining that would allow me to convert them to wet brakes. They are 800$ per side that gets you two discs and the expansion assembly in the middle of the picture. Normally you don't have to replace the expansion plates.

The JD510 I had was a wet brake and inline with the axle. The axle went thru the brakes. It was way more complicated, horrendously worse to repair and more expensive. A really great machine but the brakes alone would turn me away from another one.

Thanx Nate. I hope I never ever need 1" drive air tools!

Last edited by snowbear; 02-07-2016 at 05:51 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyslaw View Post
When you are done with that is the transmission in the f350 next?
haha, no the orbital valve is next. A low pressure internal seal went out and it fills the steering column w/hydraulic fluid Unfortunately the seal that I think is leaking has been discontinued. Not sure what I'll do to fix it. A new orbital in 2k+

Removing it has to wait until the new 22T jack stands arrive. Getting to it requires crawling all up under/inside the machine. I don't trust the wood blocks it's on enough to get that far into it.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Before you give up on the orbital valve seal, talk to Larry at Alaska Bearing (ABCO) in Anch.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Before you give up on the orbital valve seal, talk to Larry at Alaska Bearing (ABCO) in Anch.
Case says its a square o-ring and gave me dimensions. I haven't made it a priority to find one yet. Dimensions recorded here incase I loose the sticky note 51.16 mm od, 47.09mm id, 1.75mm height
Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

A source for O ring material is Bearing Engineering in Anch. We bought our O ring material there, if anyone would have square material, they would, ABCO and Alaska Rubber might be worth checking also. Good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
snowbear

Thanx. I got a kit that replaces the seals above this one. If it doesnt stop the leak i will tear further into it further including this o-ring