Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Technical Articles

Technical Articles Extensive step by step articles, and threads of high technical reference value.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
furthur
Registered Member

furthur is on a distinguished road
Default Making Rockwell front hubs seal?

If you could make that inner hub bearing race seat in .437" deeper, and if the bearing still sat on the machined shoulder of the spindle, (or you modified the spindles to allow the bearing to sit a little further out from the knuckle?), you could drive in Timkin seal 418027 outside that inner bearing, and throw away that useless cup seal...

Anyone wanna take measurements on this? I'm away, and not disassembled...

John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and WAY too much is just right!"
furthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
furthur
Registered Member

Default Re: Making Rockwell front hubs seal?

Oops...I didn't get much sleep last night. Just realized that inner hub bearing seats against that radius fillet on the spindle, that's what pushes back when you set bearing preload...

You'd need to weld that out and re-machine the radiused fillet the same amount you recessed the inner bearing. Then your seal bore diameter would be slightly bigger. Say you made the sealing diameter 2.75" by adding weld material on the spindle and re-machining it smooth...then the closest seal is timkin number 454088, which has an OD of 4.5", so also have a .468"step machined into the hub outside that inner bearing for the seal to be driven into...

I know, I need to draw pitchers...but imagine a standard oil seal "outside", or "behind" the inner hub bearing, then the spindle makes a 1/8" diameter step down, to stock size, then the regular inner hub roller bearing.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
furthur
Registered Member

...and, FWIW, timkin bearing 3992 has the same inner and outer dia., and load rating, but is .25" narrower, if that helps make room for the seal...

Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

I've often thot about how to improve this seal area. There's just not much extra material to work with. One idea would be to add material to the hub, like a bolt on ring that uses the axle flange holes, that extends enough to hold a standard seal and seals against the area where the cup seal mounts.

make sense?

Last edited by snowbear; 07-12-2017 at 01:30 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
furthur
Registered Member

I see what your saying there. Removing material inside the hub so the bearing cup seats deeper would achieve the same thing. I'm not sure there's room at the spindle flange on the knuckle to move it much that way though, and then the seal needs something to seal to.

What about a machined ring, matching the existing spindle profile, to move the bearing over enough to put in a seal? That way, no welding required. You could seat the ring in epoxy, or even silicone, if it was a close enough match to the existing profile.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

I'll do more looking when my bearings get here. The key for me is not modifying stock parts. It sucks when you break one, have to find another and then get it modified all while your rig is stuck in the field
Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
furthur
Registered Member

Ok, I messed up. That 3992 bearing is not the narrow one. The narrow one is 395A, at .8661", but it's load rating is only 2/3's of the 3994, so I'm not interested in that.

My new idea, have the inner race of a used 3994 cut down to 3.25" diameter, by .375 wide wedding ring. This will slide onto the spindle and make the seat for the 3994 wheel bearing .375" farther out on the spindle. This also becomes the sealing surface for our new seal.

Cut the inner wheel bearing cone seat in .375" deeper into the hub. Seat stock bearing race 392.

Cut a recess into the inner face of the hub at 4.5" inner diameter, .375" deep. Install seal 418028.

The seal lip would ride on the wedding ring, so the wedding ring would need to be sealed to the spindle to be effective.

All this hinges on being able to seat that inner bearing .375" deeper. Is the machined shoulder on the spindle long enough to support that there? IDK...

It also might be possible to seat that inner bearing less than .375", IF the shape of the seal allows it to nest closer to the roller cone...

Last edited by furthur; 07-15-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
furthur
Registered Member

Hybrid idea,

The wedding ring plus a 3/8" hub extension ring for the seal to seat into! No need to machine the hub or spindle!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
furthur
Registered Member

We took the rear hubs off for bearing swap and I took some measurements. Good news is there is room on the spindle to move that inner bearing in 3/8", bad news is there's not room in the hub. The hub casting is hollowed out behind the race. There might be room to move it 1/4". Also, there's no room to move the hub out on the spindle to make room for the seal because the outer bearing is at the end of the spindle.

You might set the inner race 1/4" deeper, the outer race 1/8", make your spindle "wedding ring" to push it out 3/8", and have room for everything...IDK. Getting pretty complex at that point, but taking a good look at that cup seal, that's such a lousy design, hardly adequate as a dust seal, never mind water.
Attached Images

Last edited by furthur; 07-27-2017 at 07:21 AM.