Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 02-13-2003, 06:25 PM   #26

Phil: that looks good. There is a few things I would change to make it stronger, but the overall design looks really nice. Can you Email me that pic without any drawing on it? and maybe a front shot, and a rear shot?
Old 02-13-2003, 08:40 PM   #27
ranger
Registered Member

ranger Default Reputation

Are you using tubing or pipe to build your stuff? What are you using to bend it?
ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:01 PM   #28

I can use pipe or tubing, as I have dies for both. The Freak is all pipe.

I use a Pro Tools 105
Old 02-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #29
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Hey Brook I emailed ya a good side and front shot.

side shot has the hood up but it's the best I got
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:11 AM   #30
Xploder
Registered Member

Xploder Default Reputation

Brook, I was thinking similar to the STX but without the complete tube chassis. *Using the existing chassis would be easier and in my opinion better in some ways to keep replacement parts easier to fit. *I am interested in talking about this further. *Like I said, I want it strong... light... and funky looking...

But a big thing for me is... I DO NOT want some bootty fab looking red neck thing. *I KNOW that your stuff will NOT look that way but I am afraid MINE would! *Shoot me a PM or we can continue here... I will try to find some ideas from Pirate or someplace like that.

I found this post in Pirate just now... it is a full build up using some of the existing frame of a Zuki in 34 days! Zuki Build

Xploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:37 AM   #31

Chad:
Discussing every thing here is fine, other than the $$. That I want to do over the phone.

This is also not a project that I would start on, until after the meet and greet. It would likely take me several months to finish as well. (6 months at least, depending on suspension work etc...)

That suzuki is pretty sweet, but are you interested in coilovers? 4links front and rear? axle swaps? Street Legal? dual T-cases?

Describe to me what you want.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:18 PM   #32
Xploder
Registered Member

I would like to do a buggy that is muti purpose. Meaning: that it could be used fast or slow (offroad only). I also want it light enough to tow with my Explorer. I have always wanted coilovers but have not had the money or the fab skills to make it happen.

I have always liked the Sammi platform, but know very little about them. Gearing, well I want it low enough to creap over some rocks but not too low so I can get some wheel speed. I would love to do a rotory engine swap into a buggy like that but that would be in the future. Up here I dont see a huge need for double t cases but I would seriously consider doing an axle upgrade, say to toyota axles or lightweight sammi axles like Spidertrax has. I would think of a tire limit of 35 inches but probably 33 to keep the overall height down. With upgraded sami axles 35 is a max. Probably use a bogger though.

There would need to be a limited roof and windsheild (plexiglas), not too big of a need for doors and other stuff. Keep everything as simple as possible. Back to the suspension though... I would love to see a coilover front, rear leaf spring. Most of the weight and punishment would be on the front and you can get plenty of flex out of a good set of rear springs, maybe even a pinnable rear buggy spring? hell that way you could pin it for the fast stuff but still be able to pull the pin for ultimate flex. Four link front so the coilovers could do the work. On this size of buggy a 2" coilover would work great, Sway away or Doestch or Bilstein... say 12" in front with a 14" shock in the back (not coilover but probably a remote reservoir).

I dont want to carry a lot of spares, so simplicity is key. Perhaps an onboard welder and some axle shafts but that is about it. I do not want to use custom driveshafts (cost mostly). I dont need any fancy wiring, but signals and lights would be good. No speddo but tach, temp, oil pressure, would be manditory. I would want a winch but probably not anything larger than an 8000 and perhaps even less with plasma rope. Minimum of two seats and a spot in the back for a storage box so I can keep stuff dry, even if I am not. It would also need an exhaust system, it could be loud but I dont want to sound like a piped snow machine either...

As far as money goes... well... we all have limited funds but if you could stay close to the price you mentioned before (without these upgraded parts, coilovers, axles and such) I would be able to give you half or so up front to get you started and that way you dont have to be out of pocket for the build. Timeframe sounds good, I would love to have one sooner but I know this stuf takes time. Imagine what would happen if we had this done FOR the Meet and Greet? Sweet... jaws would drop... smack would be talked... and the gauntlet would be thrown!!!

When can we start
Old 02-14-2003, 01:35 PM   #33
Bronco85
Registered Member

I've been thinkin about coil overs in the back of the bronco.. But that sounds spending, never seen one either.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:31 PM   #34

Holy Sh!t Chad!

Im thinking this...

Stock Sammy Frame, SOA front (Already done) Tube out the front and back like the Freak, keeping the radiator in the stock location. Use the steering as it sits (crossover stock). And do a link suspension with some Ford Aerostar Van coils in the rear. The coils could be pinned or un-pinned for more flex, but I doubt that you would ever need to un-pin them.

----------------------------------------------------------

Buggy leafs have some nasy disadvantages, just like revolver shackles. But of the two, I would want buggy leafs (3/4 elliptic) Read about them on the PBB, and let me know if thats what you really want to do.

Gear ratio changes in the axles of a sammy is kind of a waste of time IMHO. Just slap some 4:1 gears in the t-case and call it good. (you would prolly need axle gears if you ran 35's) Dont discount 4:1 gearing untill you see it in action. Its Definately worth it. Dual t-cases or Gearing, either one, would be the coolest thing on your buggy. Its awesome, even for up here.

If you run a bogger, I think you should cut it so it self cleans better, or use a swamper. If you cut it, you would need to swap them on at the trail head so you dont wear them out towing to and from the trail. Or get some 33x12.5 Terra tires.

I know you dont want custom driveshafts, but you will prolly need them for the kind of travel your talking about. Dont worry about CV's for the most part. Since you will not be driving it down the highway at 65 you will never notice the vibration from not using them. Depending on WB and Driveline angle, it should be fine with conventional driveshaft parts, but you might need a long travel slip for the front. If we do a link suspension, it will not be necessary. (my rear shaft only slips about 5/8" in 36" of droop) Driveshaft parts can add up fast. I think I have about $900 in mine, not that sammy drivelines would be that expensive, but it could get close.

Coilovers in the front would be sweet, but for 2" you might be looking at spending as much as 1k for the two shocks with dual rate springs. Just a guess, but mine cost about $1200.

If we use pipe, figure about 1 dollar per foot. Additional costs for consumables will come into consideration as well... Welding rod, oxy/act, argon/co2, wire, grinding discs, etc.

Plexiglass is very lame for windshied use around mud. It scratches too easy. Speed glass is what you would want to use, but it is pretty expensive. A fold down, or removable windshield might be the way to go. Leave it off on the warm summer days.

As far as time line goes, there is no way I could start before the meet and greet. Im going to have a very difficult time getting the Freak ready, much less building something else as well. Too bad, cause that would be awesome! It needs to be an all winter project, so that it doesnt consume my life. Id really prefer to start the project some time after moose season, with the intention of having it completed around the end of march or april. That would give me plenty of time to do a quality job. Building one in 34 days is crazy! I dont see how they did it, but it surely wasnt just one guy working in his garage. He had TONS of help.

All the wiring and regular mechanical work you could do yourself, or is that something you would like me to do as well? We can discuss this aspect over PM, as I would need additional compensation for that. Signals would be nice, and brake lights are important. Especially if you want to flat tow it. If not, I wouldnt bother. Remember, that stuff does nothing to increase performance, and only adds weight. Yes, it is minimal, but those type of things add up really fast when your talking about a 2500 lb rig.

Also realize that the first person to give me cash for the sammy takes it. I am broke, so I cant delay that aspect any longer that I have to.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:49 PM   #35
Xploder
Registered Member

I think that we are on the same page for most things.

Big problem for me is storage of a truck that I cant drive from now until you would be ready to start. That would mean an initial investment and I would not be using the truck for half a year! Ouch...

Coilovers might be out of the question for now but nice remote reservoirs could be done for a lot less. On a rig like this I think it would be plenty!

Lights would be manditory but turnsignals would not... Gauges; I have no experience with so that might need negotiation. I am pretty serious about starting this soon. I know that you have tons of stuff going on I just am getting excited!

After doing some more searches, we could upgrade the birfeilds and rear axles, stay to 33 inch tires, and go with a 4:1 kit in the T case for about 500 bucks, might even do a rebuild while in there.

Lets keep this dialog going need to do a planning session.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #36
Bronco85
Registered Member

Hey chad would you want to lower the exploder when you do this? Ya can put your axles under it and get a different set for the exploder....

Also I have some old bronco coils all donate to the build up.. And some old bronco leafs.

Also chad if you found one for a good price, we may be able to talk my parents into storin it for you. We don't currently have anything under our porch(just an emtpy space with dirt) and it may fit under there. Just throw a tarp over it and I'm sure they'd go for it.

Oh ya wouldn't be allowed to make fun of the bronco anymore either
Old 02-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #37
Xploder
Registered Member

The last one was a deal breaker!!
Old 02-14-2003, 05:14 PM   #38

Chad:

Storing a rig for ya is no problem. I have about 7 acres, so there is plenty of room for another rig or two. We can start on it now, but it wont bet much attention from me until I get the Freak finished, and wheel it a few times.

For now, I think we should just concentrate our efforts on the body, and rear suspension. Front suspensions can get complicated fast.

Start researching what kind of spring rate you will need for the rear suspension. Download evey picture you can find of Zukes with lots of tube work, and linked rear suspensions.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:45 PM   #39

Chad:
Check out This Thread...

The two sammys on the first page are awesome. The yellow one is on leafs front and back, the Grey one has leafs in the front. Both are CRAZY.

The Grey one is simple, and light. I would want to do something like that.

Its lines are clean, and to the point, but it still looks good. No super complex bends that I see right off hand.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #40
Xploder
Registered Member

Things to keep: hood, firewall, floor from the seats back (or sheetmetal replacement0 and windsheild, grill, headlights, front suspension and steering,

Things to get rid of: body from the firewall back, front fenders, rest of the body, rear suspension

Things to add: link rear (I have a set of 14" 300lb coilover springs?), birfield upgrade, 4:1 gears, 33 inch teras, snorkel, winch, stinger,cage starting at front stinger/winch mount- through fender ouline-into cage starting at windshield and finishing at the end of the frame- roof starting at windshield, ending behind the front seats

This is a start.. I like that Yellow one
Old 02-14-2003, 08:56 PM   #41

Chad:

Here is a good thread for the yellow one
Yellow Sammy

There is some very complex bends on that rig. More than I am willing to do for free at this point. He also has more tubing that you will ever need for up here.

Think along the same lines as the grey one
Old 02-14-2003, 10:35 PM   #42

I think your gonna be looking for something around 150 inch pounds. the front of the freak is about 207 inch pounds, and will likely be too stiff. 300 is definately too stiff
Old 02-15-2003, 11:21 PM   #43
Xploder
Registered Member

I agree with you on the less tube. I want it light and simple. Mostly those cages are way overkill... even for comp rock crawling. If you really look at a lot of those rigs they do the tube work for looks a lot I think.

Spidertrax uses captured coilover springs on their 4 links for good flex and a low price.

****... if only there were two of you!! Then you could have the Freak done and I could roll out the new tubazuk!!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:35 AM   #44

ya never know, ya never know......
Old 02-16-2003, 07:34 AM   #45
imported_Alaska ZJ
Registered Member

imported_Alaska ZJ Default Reputation

Churn Churn Churn go the wheels of thought.......

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

USE YOUR HANDSAVER ON YOUR WINCH. WEAR YOUR **** GLOVES AS WELL!!</center>
imported_Alaska ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #46
Xploder
Registered Member

Well the wife was away for 10 days and now she is back to put an abrupt end to the fun machine. I hope to make this a reality but she reminded me of bills and the like

But after taxes if the Sammy is still around the project just might get the green light. **** it... Why did women get all the power... money... and looks?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:36 PM   #47

[wiping sweat from forehead] phewwww! [/wiping sweat from forehead]

No problem man, keep thinking about it, and try to find another sammy. They are around.