Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
76chevycrew
Registered Member

76chevycrew has disabled reputation
Default Low Buck Wheeler: Project Stump Jumper

Project Stump Jumper

This is the first week and a half in review and i'll be adding some new stuff in the next day or so...

Well I’ve been web wheeling around here for a while now since I haven’t had a functional wheeler in almost a year and with my wife being 5 months pregnant, the construction business in the toilet, and still having to make the mortgage payment funds are tight. But I needed a rig for winter so my wife can drive my one ton and be safe, and I came across a 1974 k20 with a tired but strong 350 for only 350 bucks and it’s gonna be my project rig. I’ve got quite a few parts lying around and can hopefully piece together a workable daily driver/ work truck/ wheeler.

Here’s the plan, any thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated:

Suspension:
I’ve got a set of front 4” lift springs for the front along with a set of zero rates, left over from another project, that'll boost the front ~5". Out back I’ll do a home brew shackle flip with 6” shackles tied into the rear bumper once I build the flatbed but for now I’m stuffing in some 4” blocks that I have lying around. I know that blocks aren't ideal but I'd rather not fab a temporary flip knowing that i'm going to build the permanent one in the next few weeks. So don't worry the blocks aren't here to stay.

Axels:
Dana 44 up front with flat top knuckles, and drive flanges (eventually I will tap the knuckles for crossover and high steer, unless I can find a cheap 60) and a 14ff that I’ll install a pinion guard from Diy4x (already have it) and I’ll weld up the spider gears and stick with a gold old fashioned Lincoln Locker.

Tires:
36” goodyears, not the best option but I have 6 of them on rims so they’ll work for now…

Body:
I’ll build a flatbed, cut out as much rust as I can and fiberglass the rest. Then build some rocker protection and install a front bumper and stinger from another project. And top it all off with a quick rattle can paint job- OD Green.

Interior:
A set of buckets I’ve had for a while, an ammo can center console and a B&M shifter (that I have already) for the turbo 400 to have a little more control.

And here’s a few pics of the rust bucket I picked up three days ago:

Powerstroke, e4od, afe stage II, mrbp exhaust, Tony Wildman Custom Tunes. custom front bumper, flatbed.

Last edited by 76chevycrew; 10-19-2009 at 12:22 PM.
76chevycrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
76chevycrew
Registered Member

Default Re: Low Buck Wheeler: Project Stump Jumper

And here's what i've done in the last week and a half or so:

In this pic you can see the new steering arm, new drag link end, zero rates, shocks and brake lines. The brake lines are the driver's side brake line off a 97 dodge 1500 and not only have the correct fittings for newer 10 bolt calipers but are also about 14" longer. I already had the lines but the caliper end didn't fit the older 44 calipers so I changed the calipers out to a set I had laying around out of an 87 and it worked great.

Here's a few of the truck with a quick rattle can job and the door off an 84 I used to have (i'm going to save the rusty one for half doors). I still need to mask off to give it a hard line btw the two colors but it looks better that the rust/ blue combo

Well I installed new u-joints on my front d- shaft and went to install it only to find out that it is at least a half inch short even maxed out. So I went to pull one out of one of my parts trucks and found a sweet double cardan long slip front shaft that should be perfect if i can adapt a 208 flange to the 203 or just get a flange set up for the 203, giving me plenty of slip an alot more articulation... and some pics:

About a 1/2" away from being maxed out...
Powerstroke, e4od, afe stage II, mrbp exhaust, Tony Wildman Custom Tunes. custom front bumper, flatbed.

Last edited by 76chevycrew; 10-19-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
76chevycrew
Registered Member

I also painted and installed the diy4x pinion guard and new grade 8 hardware on my 14 bolt

And some pics:

Old 10-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
76chevycrew
Registered Member

I finally got my tires and front bumper on and man does it look worlds better :grinpimp: The bumper was on my last truck that was narrowed so i'm going to wait and before i make it wider to see if I want to narrow this one...

And I started to gut the interior to tackle some rust and to get ready to install my buckets and roll herculiner. Here's what i'm up against...

Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
jeepman07
Registered Member

jeepman07 is on a distinguished road

are those nerf bars laying beside the truck for that model??
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
76chevycrew
Registered Member

I've been slacking on the updates but i've been making progress...

Here's the next step:

After I got it to that point but didn't like the length of the rig so I took 20" out of the frame and bent a tube bed for it and trimmed the fenders...

I drove it a for a bit like this but didn't like the auto and the full time 4wd 203, or the front 44, so I tore it down for yet another rebuild...

I put a 60 in, along with crossover steering and new stainless steel brake lines. It ran and drove good but I needed a shorter front drive shaft, b/c of the larger pumpkin and the my current shaft had the wrong size u joint. Since I needed a new front driveline and new yokes it seemed like a perfect time to swap in the 4 sp and 205 I had stashed away. I pulled the turbo 350 and 203 the and sold the turbo 350 which payed for the new driveline.

Then I installed my sm465 and 205, along with my hydraulic clutch pedals and cross members. and twin sticked the 205, but still haven't finished the shifters.

I also came up with a new cab and front clip off an 84. The new cab is on, and herculined and cleaned up. I stripped down the factory dash and am going to ad after market gauges. The cab is temporarily in place set on brand new energy suspension body mounts. Once I get the 205 shifters built and installed i'll do the final bolt down on the cab.

The front sheet metal is also pinched 18". I haven't cut down the hood yet but the core support is all tacked and ready for final welding and the fenders have been sucked down to check clearances.

I picked up a set of 39.5 tsls on a trade, the treads not awesome but they'll work for now. And got the cab all cleaned up, not i just need to bolt the body down, cut the hood and do some wiring and i'll be rolling until I save up enough money to do a 52" and 64" spring swap...

Here's some update pics:

Here's the new look with the pinched and cut fenders and the tsl's ( the front axle is going to come forward an 1.5"

Here's my rust free floorboard with fresh herculiner...

New Energy Suspension mounts:

Dash progress...
\

Let me know what you guys think of the latest progress...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
capt_kipp
Call Me Captain

capt_kipp has disabled reputation

I'm going to have to build one now. Dang.... The cheap truck has always been my favorite.
capt_kipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
1984 ford
Registered Member

1984 ford has disabled reputation

so far i like it good job, keep posting pics

F250

King quad 700

M7
1984 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
ryantowry_81
Registered Member

ryantowry_81 is on a distinguished road

looks good

where in north idaho are you? i grew up north of spokane and used to love wheeling up near newport on the old logging roads.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
76chevycrew
Registered Member

Exclamation Clutch Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantowry_81 View Post
looks good

where in north idaho are you? i grew up north of spokane and used to love wheeling up near newport on the old logging roads.
I live in Moscow. I actually bought this truck in Newport, there's some cool places to bomb around in up there for sure...

Thanks for the props guys, it's coming together slowly but surely...

The Question of the Hour:

I installed my new master and slave cylinder and hydraulic pedals and I can't get the clutch do disengage. I bleed the master cylinder and the slave. The clutch fork seems to move fine and I'm getting good pedal travel but not enough to disengage. I can't figure out if i'm just not getting enough throw or if there's a problem with the clutch, the slave or the master. I'm stumped and I've bleed the clutch a 100 times and can't seem to figure out where my problem lies. Any input would be a appreciated...

Any way on to an update. Here's some daylight progress pics. The last week or so has yielded some progress.

The engine wiring is complete with the exception of the alternator and she starts and runs great. The body is bolted down, and the core support is 90% done.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Spencer4x4
Registered Member

Spencer4x4 is on a distinguished road

I love the truck . I really like thw way you did the front fenders. The small pieces of steel you strapped to the fender edges make it look Industrial, looks badarse. I want to do my front fender on my K5 that way, you've got a Shiz Ton of room in those front fenders with the 39.5's, I wanna run 40-41's with the same amount of lift. I'm trying to build a big wheeled rig with minimal lift to keep COG down, I think the way you cut your fenders would be perfect for that. So is this rig gonna be streetable or will you trailer it to trail?.
Spencer4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
ryantowry_81
Registered Member

Default Re: Clutch Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76chevycrew View Post
I live in Moscow. I actually bought this truck in Newport, there's some cool places to bomb around in up there for sure...

Thanks for the props guys, it's coming together slowly but surely...
that uis funny cause i was a coug up until about two years ago. there are only a couple spots down there i found to wheel/ shoot. i always went out past deary and troy to those fire service roads.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
S4X4
Registered Member

S4X4 has disabled reputation

Great build thanks for sharing.
OH YA got beer? nice collection
S4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Alaskangoodoleboy
Registered Member

Alaskangoodoleboy is on a distinguished road

On your clutch problem i had the same issues when i swapped to a manual in my old truck and it turned out to be the clutch master cylinder.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
76chevycrew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer4x4 View Post
I love the truck . I really like thw way you did the front fenders. The small pieces of steel you strapped to the fender edges make it look Industrial, looks badarse. I want to do my front fender on my K5 that way, you've got a Shiz Ton of room in those front fenders with the 39.5's, I wanna run 40-41's with the same amount of lift. I'm trying to build a big wheeled rig with minimal lift to keep COG down, I think the way you cut your fenders would be perfect for that. So is this rig gonna be streetable or will you trailer it to trail?.
Thanks man! It's actually angle iron, the fenders have been gutted so it adds strength and will give me something to attach inner fenders and and some kind of fender flare for the street. I'm currently at ~4" of lift and i'm pretty happy with the belly clearance and over all hieght of the rig.

The plan is to keep it semi street legal as well as licensed and titled b/c alot of the logging roads around here require for the vehicle to be tagged and current. It shouldn't be to hard, I built removable flaps for the back (you can see them in a few of the pics up higher on the page) and will build removable front flares so it should loosely meet Idaho law. But only time will tell if i can get away with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantowry_81 View Post
that is funny cause i was a coug up until about two years ago. there are only a couple spots down there i found to wheel/ shoot. i always went out past deary and troy to those fire service roads.
Right on man! I go out past Helmer and wheel the old abandon logging roads and blaze trails through the clear cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4X4 View Post
Great build thanks for sharing.
OH YA got beer? nice collection
Thanks for the props, that beer doesn't even represent a small portion of the amount of beer consumed in the project lol cheers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskangoodoleboy View Post
On your clutch problem i had the same issues when i swapped to a manual in my old truck and it turned out to be the clutch master cylinder.
Thanks for the input I may need to grab another one and test it out...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
ryantowry_81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76chevycrew View Post

Right on man! I go out past Helmer and wheel the old abandon logging roads and blaze trails through the clear cuts
yeah i explored a little out there when i was in school but then i had a ranger on 33's and only a rear locker so not as nice as what i have now. maybe if i get to come visit family and wheel down that way this summer we will have to get together.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
76chevycrew
Registered Member

Time for an update:

The build is taking a slight turn. I'm moving back to the east coast where they are less friendly towards wheelers on public roads and i'll be a little farther from trails so a few changes are in order.

I've decided not to narrow the front end and to toss a shortbed box on it. I'd like to bob the bed and was hoping to get an idea of what it might look like with a foot out of the back side of it.

But on to what i've been up to. All the engine and light wiring is done and i did the 52/64 swap using Diy4x's b52 kit on the front and a home brew shackle flip on the front.

Here's some pics with the 52" front springs, the 64's and the short bed.

Here's a pic of the front hangers and where I frenched in a receiver tube into the front frame and diy hangers.

Here's a few crappy pics of what the short box looks like on there. I need to trim the box before I can throw my tsls back on.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #18
DokWatson
Registered Member

DokWatson is on a distinguished road

I love it. I want to build an old Chevy real bad.

God**** lesbians... stealing all the good P***Y!

The garage is for drinking of beer, and mechanical endeavors. Not for storage of random SH!T.
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
76chevycrew
Registered Member

Once back in MD I made a new set of front fenders, bobbed the bed, built a bed cage, installed rock-sliders and have been collecting a lot of parts. here's the most recent pics...

And Here's the most recent pic on h1s and 37's
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
76chevycrew
Registered Member

I've been working a ton since moving here which has been good for the parts pile but not great on the install/ wheeling side of things but here's the list of stuff waiting to go in:

15" travel BBCS shocks
solid diff covers for the 60 and 14b
All Aluminum dash from kert at diy4x
a 14 point Cage from S&W race cars
Mojave Heater
Ballistic Springless High Steer Arms
C&M Machine Bronze Kingpin Bushings
Lock Right For the Front 60
35 Spline Stub Shafts

Currently saving up for aftermarket gauges, and 35 spline locking hubs for the 60.