Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
ls-tj
Registered Member

ls-tj has disabled reputation
Default Barely Legal

So i have i have always been a wrangler fan, never thought i would own one, always enjoyed looking through magazine pictures of them thought maybe someday ill have a jeep of my own. well fast forward to about a year ago i purchased my first tj well I found one, went and checked it out ended up picking it up and hauling it back 99 4.0 5spd
Ended up taking it out quiet a few times enjoyed it for what it was put a 10k smittybuilt winch could go down all the trails around here but nothing to extreme but it wasn't quiet what i wanted i always wanted more maybe 6'' lift hmmm 1tons kits didn't seem to offer much coilovers hmmm, stretched, a couple months would go by just thinking of things i wanted to do.
So i decided maybe do something custom run tmr or artec 4 link brackets, on 1 tons use stock jeep frame.

So that was the plan so what i thought was going to run a simple chevy 350 and ax15 231, so i ended up buying a ford hpkp60 and 14bolt months went on just looking for deals to pop up. Went and bought a jeep tub seeings how there was rust on the tub going through floor it goes on
picked this pristine tub up from a guy who ran into concrete barrier payed 400 for it no rust.
But as months went looking at pictures on peoples builds and such i kept getting ideas wanted to start on mine wanted this wanted that, so about a couple weeks decided it was time to start the jeep, had plans on just using my tj removing tub using good one, cutting frame where arches over fenders and running straight.
My cousin suggested just build your own frame it would be easier and you don't need to rip yours apart. So That was the plan whole new frame!!

So my goals were to run 383 stroker, th350, and adapt it to ford 205, ori's my 1 tons, and 44'' aggs, So I started started the frame took rough measurements of how it should look drew them out and framed it out of 2x4's wood yes just to verify that i wouldn't have anything conflicting then framed it out of steel 2x4x1/4'' 3'' in the rear,

So then the build took a turn in a total new direction when i acquired an ls2

Im going to run 4l80E just needing to figure case out, I'm running ford hpkp60 wanting to run ford205 not going to try and source chevy 60 seeing how i just go my artec truss, so get advance adapter and swap to 2wd 4l80e, or say screw it buy an atlas2 or 4 I'm leaning towards a 4 atm. When the build is finished ill be right at 24" bottom of frame height legal for street use 42'' tires, ori's, my tub just turned 16 so hence the name of the project
beadlock rings

So this is how i sit now trying to figure tcase out before i stuff motor and transmission in

Last edited by ls-tj; 05-07-2016 at 07:30 PM.
ls-tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Rolling
Now you can have it.

Rolling is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barely Legal

This....escalated quickly!!!

I like it! Anything LS powered is cool in my book! Even a *gasp* Jeep...

FZJ-80 Lexus on 35's....if you gotta ask whats a ZJ you can't afford it....
Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

like food, made from scratch is the best!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

You can use a np241c as another option. Thats what im using on mine and our builds are pretty identical other than bodys and I used a th400. Depending what spline output you have on your 4L80 I have an extra 27 spline np241c I also have 2 borg warners both are bw4401's and they are 32 splines. One is flange front and ones ujoint.
1994 2wd f-150 soon to get a healthy bbf swap
1986 foxbody that I doubt ill get to
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
ls-tj
Registered Member

So decided mock up and get ready to weld front truss very nice quality, nice fit in there product artec industries axle truss
well threw a couple tac welds on her and noticed welder wasn't welding like it should very ****ty welds, grabbed a scrap piece of steel and it just seemed like it blobbed on there, about a 1/2'' into welding a bead machine changes its tone and i can feel my wire just pushing back against surface it aint getting hot enough adjust setting nothing changes listen it sounds like its not getting any gas gave up on her she's going back to airliquade tomorrow i have burned about a pound of wire threw this welder in the past year bought it brand new and its pulling this bull**** good thing it has a 3 year warranty.

So i made the decision to run an atlas 4 deciding what my ratio's will be the plan 4:88 gears with either 1.0:1 / 2.72:1 / 3.80:1 / 10.34:1 or 1.0:1 / 2.72:1 / 4.30:1 / 11.70:1... decisions decisions hmmm i gotta find someone locally that can order me one with decent shipping or just buy off someone online and then wait for her to come in either way I'm going to have to wait but if someone locally can make a couple bucks id rather go that way.

So now i play the waiting game can't do **** till welder is fixed can't mount engine transmission and tcase till atlas comes in **** this sucks.

So if your wandering where my build is going and why i chose an atlas4 why I'm going for lcg build... i enjoy alaska lived here all my life, but i really want to go wheeling out of state i enjoy rock crawling videos seeing all the cool rigs that are built for what we don't have, so thats my goal when I'm finished take her down and do some wheeling other than ak.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
ls-tj
Registered Member

So when i went to measure my frame to see if it was square... i was a little pissed to find out i was an 1/8th out, i guess it aint bad considering this is my first real project, the worst part is any **** up is coming out of my pocket no credit cards on this ****
Old 04-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

I wouldn't be too concerned about an 1/8" variance, depending on how it was measured, if you have to go over/under components while measuring, that could account for an 1/8" easily. Any used vehicles will probably have some variance in frame measurements, thats' why suspension components have adjustment abilities built in.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
ls-tj
Registered Member

One side of tub mounts done tomorrow finish the other side then pull tub and burn them in I left them uncut until I'm ready to run my exhaust and will cut them to follow exhaust down the side of frame.

Placed my order for my atlas 4 should be here in the next month or so hopefully sooner then i can mount engine transmission tcase planning on tucking as tight to tub as possible may have to cut tunnel to fit atlas well see. atlas4 gears are 1.0:1 / 2.72:1 / 3.80:1 / 10.34:1 axles will be 5:13 maybe 5:38 haven't decided, then link my suspension dual triangulated rear single triangulated front, w/b shooting for 120'' but i think 115'' is what it will be 24'' bottom of frame, 5'' axle up travel. Ive also been contemplating putting an lsa supercharger but not sure still thinking i keep throwing around ideas of what i want to do it'll just have to wait till i get to that point in the build.

Last edited by ls-tj; 05-07-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
ls-tj
Registered Member

Well after 4 weeks of waiting my atlas arrived
im plan on running 1.75 dom to attach mount transmission similar to this dom poly bushings to frame I plan on clocking tcase a bit don't know quite how much I do not have a tube bender so need to find someone or some place that can bend tube up to my dimension. 4 link brackets and heims arrived last week still waiting for 14bolt truss but don't need quite yet So tomorrow try and stuff it all underneath and do some fabbing.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
ls-tj
Registered Member

Did a little work done got the motor resting in its place still need to weld it all up just tacked for now, made some motor mount plates, realized after i took picture that tubing was off center on sleeve. I mounted engine at 4degrees, ended up having to cut some of the tunnel out, to stuff it in there to keep it all tucked nothing hangs below frame, ill sheet metal over it to seal tub later down the road
]

Last edited by ls-tj; 06-14-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #11
wasillashack
Registered Member

If your present oil pan doesn't suit you, pretty sure here are several options for a shallower pan available.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:03 AM   #12
ls-tj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
If your present oil pan doesn't suit you, pretty sure here are several options for a shallower pan available.
Yea there's a couple options I have to address that first being just a different pan or the second being dry sump, but I'm think dry sump won't work cause of where pump location is and my upper control arm will hit it I belive. I'll find out which option when I start to locate link position.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
ls-tj
Registered Member

Well i finished linking the front i should of held off on buying any link brackets seeings how i only used 2 of them so far.
Lower control arm back wasn't going to work unless i did some cutting
So i had a piece of steel bent up, drywall circle cutters attached to plasma cutter makes circles easy, could of bought a kit for torch but didn't want to spend money

front suspension is all linked up just waiting for 14bolt truss to arrive and i can start linking rear

Progress will take some time now, I'm off workman comp and gotta go back to work but hope to have rear linked up in the next couple months
Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #14
broncoformudv
Registered Member

broncoformudv is on a distinguished road

Good looking build! I am impressed that you are tackling so much fabrication your first time into a build.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
ls-tj
Registered Member

Thanks, there's alot of information floating around on the Internet that helped, the one thing that took me a little to figure out was 4 link basics, found a great video on YouTube that explained it from a guy jake burkey, suspension numbers were put into link calculator so it's not just thrown in there in the hopes that it does something right. It was more work than I originally thought and still hundreds more hours to go and about 20k+ more to spend before she's completed
Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #16
ls-tj
Registered Member

Well its been a while since i did any work on the jeep due to my crappy schedule, but i did buy parts. Now that I'm on days off its time to tear motor down and prepare for boost, motor is a dod/vvt motor l76 to be exact, I'm ditching the 4l80 and going 6l80 route.

Was told when i bought motor it had 8k on it, looks to be about right. Bought arp studs, arp rod bolts, stage 2 blower cam, aiming for the 600hp crank range, may ditch the valves i have and go with a set of ls3. A couple months i should be working back on linking rear, might change up a couple things on lower control arms and to accommodate a better skid design so ill end up buying a tube bender for that. Went with a set of kmc machete xd229 wheels and 43'' tsl six's, i got about another 10 weeks left to wait till 16'' ori's will be here
Old 02-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #17
AKPrice
Registered Member

your going all out! cutting that cast off the diff tube isnt bad to do or hard fyi. You can cut to that first plug weld and be perfectly fine. Even without a truss. The truss adds even more protection to rolling the tubes. Looks really good though. I didnt do any forced air to my LS build so this is cool to see. Good luck
Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #18
ak_cowboy
Registered Member

ak_cowboy has disabled reputation

Are you going with supercharger or turbo?
ak_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #19
ls-tj
Registered Member

Yea i was contemplating cutting diff but decided to opt not to, weather i loose strength in my lower link mount idk, i am going to plate bottom and top of mount, I've thought about totally ditching my 60 and building a 14b, I've been looking at torq14 axles thats wishful thinking $$$ but ya never know 6 months from now that could change.

Its supercharged, the supercharger is from an LSA cheap and easy hp, I'm trying to get as much low end power, it'll be stock blower belt routing and c5/c6 vette p/s alt fead, I couldn't run all lsa brackets due to alt location and upper links hitting alternator
Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
AKPrice
Registered Member

i ended up staying with the stock truck spacing and using a 6.2 camaro water pump. Im wishing I would have went with a car manifold. But I have a lot of time in shaving and mild porting the truck intake.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
wasillashack
Registered Member

Tremendous amount of work done, great job. As many have discovered, installing one component leads to issues with several more. Some times there are OEM fixes/alternatives, sometimes not. I'm surprised that someone has not combined a Computer Measurement Machine (CMM) and Computer Aided Design (CAD) system that incorporates a 4 link design system. That would take the guess work, lost time/materials, and general waste out of a project, where's the fun in that? LOL

Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #22
ls-tj
Registered Member

Yea I have ran into many issues, a couple times i thought about totally redoing my frame altogether. I plan on changing a few things once i start working on her again, body mounts will most likely go away in favor of tube rock sliders, b pillars are moving back so center aligns with where body mount was and 3/4-1'' bolt will go through tub and tie into cage, rear c pillar will be similar, everything will tie into frame but still remain removable if needed, i wish i was only building a 2 seater would make for a better looking cage but i have a daughter so thats out of the question, I'm only planning on running 3 seats due to room. My orginal plan of not having anything hang below frame is changed due to 4link numbers not working, so i will have a sub frame hang below 2'' which will also make for a better looking skid plate in my opinion.

More boring stuff of what i did to motor, ended up slicing my finger on the head gasket probably should of went and got a couple stitches but oh well, still need to buy a new oil pump and get shallower oil pan. I ran arp rod bolts, I've read many different post saying its ok to just throw them in, to no needs to blah blah blah, if i end up spinning a rod bearing...oh nooo...... poor me i guess ill have to stroke her

Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #23
ls-tj
Registered Member

Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #24
wasillashack
Registered Member

The ARP rod bolts probably don't require checking or resizing the big end because the rod bolts are not pressed in, but screwed in already threaded holes in the rod. Makes sense.
I'm a fan of the L series engines, very efficient. Engineered for consistency after machining to maintain dimensions, roundness, flatness, etc. I wish GM had gone to 4 valves per cylinder dual overhead cams. I just read an Australian company is building a V12 version. See "V12LS.com"

Last edited by wasillashack; 02-20-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #25
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

I like it, thanx for keeping up the thread!