Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Hunting and Fishing

Hunting and Fishing Got a good hunting or fishing story? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need to learn to hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
State law says you have to harvest certain organs.... I'd never repeat that again. edit....delete
When people speak without being certain of what they are speaking about on the internet misconception begins to spread. You do not have to harvest organs or tongue from moose.... your above post, never repeat it again, or you can delete it.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
joe231
Registered Member

joe231 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrash View Post
When people speak without being certain of what they are speaking about on the internet misconception begins to spread. You do not have to harvest organs or tongue from moose.... your above post, never repeat it again, or you can delete it.

Quote from the 2012-2013 Alaska Hunting Regulations:

"Big game meat you must salvage (excluding black bear) includes:

• All of the neck meat
• All of the brisket (chest meat)
• All of the meat of the ribs
• Front quarters as far as the distal joint of the radius-ulna (knee)
• Hindquarters as far as the distal joint of the tibia-fibula (hock)
• All of the meat along the backbone between the front and hindquarters (backstrap and tenderloins)

You are not required to salvage the meat of the head, guts, bones, sinew, and meat left on the bones after close trimming, or meat that has been damaged and made inedible by the bullet or arrow. These portions of the animal may be left in the field because they are not included in the definition of edible meat that must be salvaged.

When the salvage of black bear meat is required, you must salvage the meat of the front quarters and hindquarters and meat along the backbone (backstrap). (See bear information, pages 25-27)

If you harvest an animal you believe
sick or diseased, you are still required
by Alaska Law to salvage the meat as
described in this section. This means
transporting all required meat from
the field to fulfill salvage requirements,
even if you think the meat is not fit for
consumption. ADF&G appreciates
reports of diseases so biologists can better understand the health of the wildlife populations. Contact the local office with information on location, description, photographs, etc. of abnormalities you encounter while hunting or observing wildlife"

Chevy Only
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #28
alaskangiles
Registered Member

alaskangiles is on a distinguished road

Time to do my homework! To be continued.... I'll admit if I'm wrong, not scared to do that. I've been checked for this very same thing and they showed me where it was written, just gotta find it.... Maybe it was the area I was in?

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

"Go ahead skin that smoke wagon and see what happen's"

My butt itches and my finger stinks.
alaskangiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #29
alaskangiles
Registered Member

I remember what his deal was. He said that the heart, liver, and tongue weren't part of the guts! His interpretation of "guts" was the "gut sack" around the stomach and NOT the chest cavity. This is why the Alaska regulations need to be burned and they need to start over. It is strait up BS what they put people through on all there crap! Leaves way to much grey area for the, to be able to do just about anything they want. Same with the head, "the tongue is part of the mouth". That was his comment, mine was "No wayyyyy...and what is the mouth part of?". I called BS on the tongue, but I can see his point on the difference between the guts and chest cavity.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #30
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've never had to deal with gutting a moose while skinning and quartering one. Unless your bringing one back to camp or home whole I don't see the reason for it.
I'm confused, do you not gut the animal at all? As far as the theory of the guts holding in enough heat to spoil meat, I've heard of it happening with a caribou years ago. Hot day, and not a very cold night. The animal was still hot inside the next morning. Wasn't long after and some of the edible organs etc were spoiled. I agree that most of the time it's a non issue, but thats enough to make me want to cool down the animal as soon as possible, especially if hot weather or an extended stay become variables.

To each his own, I'm obsessive compulsive and will always take the safe road like that!

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #31
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full83size View Post
I'm confused, do you not gut the animal at all? As far as the theory of the guts holding in enough heat to spoil meat, I've heard of it happening with a caribou years ago. Hot day, and not a very cold night. The animal was still hot inside the next morning. Wasn't long after and some of the edible organs etc were spoiled. I agree that most of the time it's a non issue, but thats enough to make me want to cool down the animal as soon as possible, especially if hot weather or an extended stay become variables.

To each his own, I'm obsessive compulsive and will always take the safe road like that!
I've never not had a moose sit more than 15 minutes after shooting before the cutting starts. It takes me less than an hour and a half to have it completly cut up and in game bags without touching the guts. The way I prefer to do it I simply don't have to.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #32
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

James, next time you plan to go hunting let me know. If its not a weekend, I can put in for some time off.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #33
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Safe route would always be to gut it first. It's just a dirty job that can be avoided most of the time. If it's a bad placed shot, it's warm out, or it's going to sit over night? Pull the guts. Approach with care on your next visit...

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've never not had a moose sit more than 15 minutes after shooting before the cutting starts. It takes me less than an hour and a half to have it completly cut up and in game bags without touching the guts. The way I prefer to do it I simply don't have to.
Well then, you field dress like a boss....

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote