Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
frankenstien
Registered Member

frankenstien is on a distinguished road
Default time for some upgrades and a re do

so, i build my 1974 gmc about 8 years ago now

heres the original build

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...highlight=1974

its been a while since ive done anything noteworthy to my truck since it has become my part time ride, i put some 35's on it, and since then the motor doestt feel as powerfull anymore even with the 4.56's, and theres a bunch of stuff id like to go back and re do, i did cut some corners and rushed some things, especially wiring, and some body stuff, the stuff bugs me enough where i dont drive it much.

top of the list is the motor, i have some ideas..the truck doesnt see offroad very much, even then its nothing extreme.

so my ideas as of now are

1. i have a 454 block that needs everything, thinking 496, maybe fuel injected holley sniper efi?

2. LS swap, probably 6.0 stroked to a 408? or maybe a super charger? not sure on forced induction on stock internals? and probably pair it up with a 4l80e

3.? no real idea? rebuild my current motor for forced induction?

the other issue that comes with a motor swap is the transmission, its only got 300 miles on it maybe since rebuild, and its built as tough as a th350 can get, but is it strong enough to take a 496? ls power? then adapting it to an LS?

or sell off the whole drivetrain and do the 496/th400 or maybe a 4L80 with a stand alone controller.

anyone have any ideas suggestions? im thinking somewhere in the 600ish hp? and tons of torque.

2nd is wiring, what i have is a birds nest of tree vines that needs to be organized

3rd is body, going to strip off some trim, sand some stuff down, fix some rips in the fender skins etc, and i have a spray gun now, id like to try(nothing special) but the truck is spray painted now, so get that fixed up, time frame is a year, maybe 2 if needed.

2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel- 452hp/962tq on P3's dyno

2015 Ford Expedition EL - Wife's rig
frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote