Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Alaskan Interest > Hunting and Fishing

Hunting and Fishing Got a good hunting or fishing story? Tell us about it here!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road
Default Need to learn to hunt.

I feel like a goober saying this,

I have no idea how to process any Alaskan game. Growing up in Washington I hunted deer with my grandfather, but he did most of the work. Now I need to learn so I can start teaching my kids. Would like the opportunity to tag along with some folks and learn how. Would like to learn about Bear and moose. Figure everything else can be adapted from those two.
Or if anyone knows of classes I can take or good books/videos I may be able to learn from.

Only issue is taking time off work is hard. And I travel a lot. But anyone willing, I can promise to put forth the effort. I have fire arms and transportation.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need to learn to hunt.

Nothing really like being there for the real thing, but educating yourself on some different techniques etc sounds like a good idea before the real thing. One important thing to remember about bears is to always wear gloves. I wear gloves when I butcher any animal for that matter, but bears can get you sick in a hurry. If you accidentally cut yourself, get it clean and disinfected right now, and seal it up good. A friend of mine cut himself butchering a moose a couple of years ago, kept on going, and almost lost his life over the contamination and infection.

On any large game, I typically skin it, and use the skin for a clean working platform. Then I start at the rear and find the pelvis bone and disconnect both rear quarters, then cut loose the front quarters via the shoulder blades. After that is chest and neck meat. Then comes cutting out the blackstrap off the spine, cutting out the ribs, and then the tender loins. Somewhere in the middle of all that is roling out the guts and getting the edible organs.

I'm a meat hunter, I don't leave anything behind. There's typically a leftover gut pile, a picked clean spine, head and hooves leftover. That's about it.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894

Last edited by Full83size; 04-28-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
alaskangiles
Registered Member

alaskangiles is on a distinguished road

The Alaska hunting regs actually has a pretty good explanation on how to do it. Moose are NOT deer, take my advice, get that hide off it ASAP.

Do you plan to take it to someone to get processed or do it yourself?

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

"Go ahead skin that smoke wagon and see what happen's"

My butt itches and my finger stinks.
alaskangiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

I'm the same way. I usually went fishing with Giles cause he knew all the rules and locations I think by memory

Me... it's more like, oh $hit there's a big moose in my backyard, that sum b!tch is going in the freezer.... is anyone looking?

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 04-29-2013 at 05:13 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
murphyslaw
Registered Member

I would like to learn to process it myself. And only have to pay for it to get done if I dont have tye time.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Thunderbear
Registered Member

Thunderbear has disabled reputation

Was the same way before I got here, for what it's worth.
Thunderbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
alaskangiles
Registered Member

I do all my own, I like to know what I have. I also do my processing a little different than most others, but it works for me. This is "my way", I don't think there's a wrong way.

-BANG! (chit, now the work starts...)
-Go find it (Good time for pics) and try to move it into a position to work on it. As in, take rope and tie the legs up if possible.
-SKIN! Start in one spot and work from there. Some start on the belly and some start from the back. I suggest you shoot some grey rats with long fuzzy tails and start with them. Figure out what works for you. Squirrels flat out SUX to skin, FYI. No easy way to do it.
-Same same with gutting. Personal preference on when to gut. I try to wait as long as possible, but sometimes it needs to be done ASAP to be able to move the carcass. If it's a gut shoot, do it right away.
-Then the quartering starts (feels like your getting somewhere finally). This is a good time to get cleaned up and take a little break, put on new gloves, check you headlamp batteries, and whatever else. Lay out your game bags so you can get them easily. I start with the back legs because they are heavier, grab ahold and lift with your child bearing hips (you'll laugh when you do it now, big dead leg will kick your arse and make you feel like a woman). You'll be able to see where the hips can be most easily separate the leg, get to swiping in that area and work your way around the socket until it gets real heavy. Get it into the bag and look at the other three you still have to do, lol. Then go get them other three! At this point if I was a rookie, I'd gut it. Take the liver and heart or fish a goose will penalize you harder then if you killed someone. Then I'd try to take the whole body to work on until you know what your doing.

Things I take with me to the worksite.
-Cordless Sawzall
-Multiple knifes, the big three are:
Topps, Tom Brown micro Tacker 4"
Topps, Tom Brown mini Tracker 6"
Cutco, adjustable blade filet knife
-Cheap easy to use/FAST knife sharpener. (your gonna toss it away when you done)
-Lots of glove
-Couple tarps
-Game bags
-Wet whips
-Duct tape and gauze, this is for your fingers when you try to cut them off. lol
-If your keeping the hide, take a couple big jugs of salt.
-Some sort of tunes is never a bad idea either. Keeps your mind from playing the "WTF was that?!" game.
-Extra batteries
-Couple ziplock bags

After a couple of days of recoup, I start the processing of the meat. "I" separate every muscle. I don't do steaks or chops at this point. I do burger and roast, when I want steaks I cut them outa roast. DO ALL YOUR TRIMMING NOW. The wife likes to cook, not prep the meat. She cooks more when all she has to do is grab it and cook it. Some add pork to the burger? I don't add anything at this point. When pork is on sale for .99, I buy a bunch! Then add it when/if needed.

Don't hold your head low about asking, I figured it was easy and didn't ask. My first big game kill I lost a rear leg because of rot... We double tarped that sucker and pulled it with a wheeler, then winched it up on the trailer. Brought it back to town and hung it like a deer. Started to work on it the next day... It was still warm when we pulled the hide and I knew I had just fawked up.

One last thing, don't forget to cut the tongue out. F&G considers it harvestable meat. I'd seriously pop a few Squirrels and practice on them. You will figure out real quick if you can do this job or not. Shooting the critter is by far the easiest part of hunting. Anyone can shoot something, not everyone can harvest there kill. It's a ton of work to do by yourself. Much more fun with a bro or two and a keg of beer.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
DSMahon
Registered Member

DSMahon is on a distinguished road

Thanks a bunch for posting. Really been wanting to learn too, but I was kinda concerned that things rarely work the same way up here as they do in the L48, which kind of rules out simple google searches. Would like to learn a few tricks people have learned out there. Would very much appreciate not having to waste anything on the first animal I take.

"It isn't as uncomfortable as it sounds, and it is as bad a** as you think."
DSMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
murphyslaw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
I do all my own, I like to know what I have. I also do my processing a little different than most others, but it works for me. This is "my way", I don't think there's a wrong way.

-BANG! (chit, now the work starts...)
-Go find it (Good time for pics) and try to move it into a position to work on it. As in, take rope and tie the legs up if possible.
-SKIN! Start in one spot and work from there. Some start on the belly and some start from the back. I suggest you shoot some grey rats with long fuzzy tails and start with them. Figure out what works for you. Squirrels flat out SUX to skin, FYI. No easy way to do it.
-Same same with gutting. Personal preference on when to gut. I try to wait as long as possible, but sometimes it needs to be done ASAP to be able to move the carcass. If it's a gut shoot, do it right away.
-Then the quartering starts (feels like your getting somewhere finally). This is a good time to get cleaned up and take a little break, put on new gloves, check you headlamp batteries, and whatever else. Lay out your game bags so you can get them easily. I start with the back legs because they are heavier, grab ahold and lift with your child bearing hips (you'll laugh when you do it now, big dead leg will kick your arse and make you feel like a woman). You'll be able to see where the hips can be most easily separate the leg, get to swiping in that area and work your way around the socket until it gets real heavy. Get it into the bag and look at the other three you still have to do, lol. Then go get them other three! At this point if I was a rookie, I'd gut it. Take the liver and heart or fish a goose will penalize you harder then if you killed someone. Then I'd try to take the whole body to work on until you know what your doing.

Things I take with me to the worksite.
-Cordless Sawzall
-Multiple knifes, the big three are:
Topps, Tom Brown micro Tacker 4"
Topps, Tom Brown mini Tracker 6"
Cutco, adjustable blade filet knife
-Cheap easy to use/FAST knife sharpener. (your gonna toss it away when you done)
-Lots of glove
-Couple tarps
-Game bags
-Wet whips
-Duct tape and gauze, this is for your fingers when you try to cut them off. lol
-If your keeping the hide, take a couple big jugs of salt.
-Some sort of tunes is never a bad idea either. Keeps your mind from playing the "WTF was that?!" game.
-Extra batteries
-Couple ziplock bags

After a couple of days of recoup, I start the processing of the meat. "I" separate every muscle. I don't do steaks or chops at this point. I do burger and roast, when I want steaks I cut them outa roast. DO ALL YOUR TRIMMING NOW. The wife likes to cook, not prep the meat. She cooks more when all she has to do is grab it and cook it. Some add pork to the burger? I don't add anything at this point. When pork is on sale for .99, I buy a bunch! Then add it when/if needed.

Don't hold your head low about asking, I figured it was easy and didn't ask. My first big game kill I lost a rear leg because of rot... We double tarped that sucker and pulled it with a wheeler, then winched it up on the trailer. Brought it back to town and hung it like a deer. Started to work on it the next day... It was still warm when we pulled the hide and I knew I had just fawked up.

One last thing, don't forget to cut the tongue out. F&G considers it harvestable meat. I'd seriously pop a few Squirrels and practice on them. You will figure out real quick if you can do this job or not. Shooting the critter is by far the easiest part of hunting. Anyone can shoot something, not everyone can harvest there kill. It's a ton of work to do by yourself. Much more fun with a bro or two and a keg of beer.

Some funny stuff there. Thank you for taking the time to write it out. I am hoping for my fist time, I can manage to have someone there who knows what they are doing. After that I know my boys will always be there to help. They may be small, they they can get stuff done when they are interested.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Between you, me, and the internet...I'm scared of the woods when it's dark. I don't like knowing that they can see me and I can't see them. I was just out behind my house catching catfish and tried to stay as late as I could, was about 5 minutes after total dark when I called it quits. Flipped on my trusty pocket flashlight and pointed it where the noise was coming from. All I could see was one set of eyes looking at me from about 30 yards away! I don't care if it was just a deer!!! One of us left, and one of us just got done grilling some nice Brats! I didn't take a grill down to the creek with me, this time. lol

When I hunt, I don't get off my wheeler until I can see. Then I take 3-5 steps and stop, doesn't matter how far I gotta go. Humans are the only thing that walks steady. The critters will think your just another critter. I seriously walk right up to animals all the time. Moose are dumb and blind. I scared the Ba-Jesus out of a cow and calf last season. But the cow was within 5 feet and I was getting a little freaked about it so... I smiled "HI!" and waved. I think her hooves are still there. Don't be afraid to go after a Bull either. Make lots of noise doing it and carry your rifle sideways over your head. If you call, it doesn't really matter what you sound like. Just don't call too much. Your call should only take you about 30 seconds. Then wait an hour, unless you have one in sight and it reacted to your call. Then don't shut up until the shot. Moose can hear extremely well, you don't have to call very loud for them to hear you. If one blows at you, blow back! They will usually just move about 30 yards downwind and still come right out. A good tip if you plan on hunting the same area is to cut strips of wood to 50" and paint them a bright color, then go put them in your shooting lanes. That way you have no doubt when it comes time to pull the trigger. Alaska doesn't have a sunset law either, so spend the money on a good optic. I got angry twice last year because my bino's worked better than my scope in low light.

The house is dark and I have the windows open. I hear something walking around out in the yard and I'm still freaked out. Laugh all you want, I'm flat out scared of the woods when it's dark!

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Scared of the woods but we went fishing out at the Russian how many times and it was still dark. Bear prints on the walkway or people saying there were several bears around and... "eh... I'm going fishing!".

Meanwhile I'm a few hundred yards back figuring the bear will get you first at least

Everytime I go there I'm looking all around the whole time, people think I'm strung up on coke or something. Nope, just don't want a bear licking the back of my head!

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 04-30-2013 at 06:46 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
murphyslaw
Registered Member

The woods are a dangerous place. One where things really will kill you.

Some good tips in there.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Scared of the woods but we went fishing out at the Russian how many times and it was still dark. Bear prints on the walkway or people saying there were several bears around and... "eh... I'm going fishing!".

Meanwhile I'm a few hundred yards back figuring the bear will get you first at least

Everytime I go there I'm looking all around the whole time, people think I'm strung up on coke or something. Nope, just don't want a bear licking the back of my head!
It's different when your all by yourself. Only your mind to play games with you... I carry a .45 to put a hole in someone else's leg too! Lol

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
alaskangiles
Registered Member

If I'm hunting public land I never call. I take a 5' chunk of 2x6 with me and beat the crap outa trees while stomping the ground. Then listen, if ones in the area it do it back. They can't help it...

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

Ian next time we are together let's talk. Moose are about the easiest big game animal to harvest. Skinning and quartering looks intimidating and a big chore but it's not hour an a half tops for one guy.

When I process mine in the fall, I can show you how I cut mine up into steaks and roasts if you need it you can use my grinder on yours also.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

Soon as I get a motor hung on my boat, I want to head to PWS and shoot a bear. You're welcome to tag along Ian!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
murphyslaw
Registered Member

Sounds good to me.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #18
alaskangiles
Registered Member

I've heard of people using predator calls on blackies? Never tried it myself, always wanted to. I think that'd be one of the coolest things EVER! Call in a BEAR!

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

You can call them in with a frying pan full of sugar and molasses burning on the stove too. Bears have an excellent sense of smell.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
Rdrash
Registered Member

While It's illegal anywhere but a bait station a tin can with honey in it works good on four match light briquets, another is the cured bacon in the waxed cardboard can.

The predator call works real well on pws black bears in the spring have used it with me calling while laying between two logs on the beach and my partner waiting to shoot. The bears come running in once they have pinpointed your location.

Jed remind mento show you where I shot that one with a 23 inch skull at, there was 17 bears on the beach Amd we took three.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

Removing the guts on large game for most guys is all about preference. I typically try to leave it in place until I absolutely have to, unless like stated previously, something has been gut shot (lousy shot) haha! Reason being that as soon as you've opened up the guts, you should plan on seeing a bear before too long. The only exception on the timing would be if for some reason the animal cannot be completely dressed out before it must be left for some reason. One year, we were in a non motorized unit hunting for moose and caribou, and I had just finished dragging a boat for 12 hours up a river when my wife and I happened on a massive caribou about a mile away. She ended up stalking and puting the hurt on him just before dark. We had no camp set up and it was getting dark as I started dressing him out. Between the dark, the fact that I was exausted, the 1mile hike back to the river and no camp set up, things could have gotten stupid really fast. Part of having wisdom while hunting is learning when to stop before things get dangerous. I've had clear blue skies and 70 degrees while hunting one minute, and a massive cold front push in within 45 minutes with freezing temps and blowing standing snow sideways. Things can get out of control super fast when you're exausted. Anyways, being so tired, I really had to focus so as to not cut my hand open. I made the decision after skinning and removing the rear quarters to go ahead and roll the guts out to cool off the edible organs, and the tender loins etc. It had been a long super hot sunny day, and there was a good chance that the guts could hold in enough heat to spoil some edible meat before I returned the next morning. We hiked out the rear quarters and a bunch if loose meat that night, and returned the next morning to a nice cold caribou inside and out. The sooner you can cool the meat down, the longer it will last in the field... I think we all know what happens if fish and feathers catches you in the field with spoiled meat, not to mention you've lost edible meat which is a big deal for me.

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894

Last edited by Full83size; 05-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full83size View Post
Removing the guts on large game for most guys is all about preference. I typically try to leave it in place until I absolutely have to, unless like stated previously, something has been gut shot (lousy shot) haha! Reason being that as soon as you've opened up the guts, you should plan on seeing a bear before too long. The only exception on the timing would be if for some reason the animal cannot be completely dressed out before it must be left for some reason. One year, we were in a non motorized unit hunting for moose and caribou, and I had just finished dragging a boat for 12 hours up a river when my wife and I happened on a massive caribou about a mile away. She ended up stalking and puting the hurt on him just before dark. We had no camp set up and it was getting dark as I started dressing him out. Between the dark, the fact that I was exausted, the 1mile hike back to the river and no camp set up, things could have gotten stupid really fast. Part of having wisdom while hunting is learning when to stop before things get dangerous. I've had clear blue skies and 70 degrees while hunting one minute, and a massive cold front push in within 45 minutes with freezing temps and blowing standing snow sideways. Things can get out of control super fast when you're exausted. Anyways, being so tired, I really had to focus so as to not cut my hand open. I made the decision after skinning and removing the rear quarters to go ahead and roll the guts out to cool off the edible organs, and the tender loins etc. It had been a long super hot sunny day, and there was a good chance that the guts could hold in enough heat to spoil some edible meat before I returned the next morning. We hiked out the rear quarters and a bunch if loose meat that night, and returned the next morning to a nice cold caribou inside and out. The sooner you can cool the meat down, the longer it will last in the field... I think we all know what happens if fish and feathers catches you in the field with spoiled meat, not to mention you've lost edible meat which is a big deal for me.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
Rdrash
Registered Member

I've never had to deal with gutting a moose while skinning and quartering one. Unless your bringing one back to camp or home whole I don't see the reason for it.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrash View Post
I've never had to deal with gutting a moose while skinning and quartering one. Unless your bringing one back to camp or home whole I don't see the reason for it.
State law says you have to harvest certain organs.... I'd never repeat that again. edit....delete

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
murphyslaw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
State law says you have to harvest certain organs.... I'd never repeat that again. edit....delete
Think he means gutting it before everything else is done and taken care of.