Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 08-16-2005, 04:45 AM   #226
deepmud

deepmud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez
Hey guys - its the Dodgy English bloke again

Just got back from Russia - what a truly mental place, epic coutryside, monster trails, goliath trucks and some of the friendliest people Ive ever met

We took a major kicking in the competition but learned a lot - new truck, need to build a new truck!

so - Laplander axles, Goodyear Terra Sure Grips, twin drum mechanical pto winch, additional electric front winch, supercharged 3.1 Isuzu charged cool diesel and Ive got to squeeze it all into a 100" wheel base, hmm and keep it under 1800kgs (4000lbs?)

I need to do a crash course on 4 link front and rear suspension - can anyone point me in the right direction?

hope its all good in AK?

Cheers

Jez

Jez = have you read the build-up of Brook's Freak? Lot's of link tech - check out his thread adjustment for link angle - Talk about dialing in the suspension!

And quit posting in the Newbie Section - I don't check here often enough! You're due in the Tech Section!
again, I really like your rig - it's cool w/the small boosted diesel. Makes me not so unusual A trip to Russia would be so neat - finally, a land that makes Alaska seem small hehehe. Where in Russia were you? Got links? Pics? Stories?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #227
BTK
Registered Member

BTK is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I'm a newbie x 1 year. Been reading this site a while though.
I've got an F250 crew with 35s, ARB lockers and a front winch. I use it mainly for camping and fishing and if i need four wheel drive it's all the better. My favorite trails are out of Eureka (when it's dry). I'm going to check it out again this weekend and try to get to Tyone creek if anyone will be up there.
Ben
BTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #228
Rescue
Registered Member

Rescue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTK
Hey all, I'm a newbie x 1 year. Been reading this site a while though.
I've got an F250 crew with 35s, ARB lockers and a front winch. I use it mainly for camping and fishing and if i need four wheel drive it's all the better. My favorite trails are out of Eureka (when it's dry). I'm going to check it out again this weekend and try to get to Tyone creek if anyone will be up there.
Ben
I think the cruiser club is going out thier this weekend.

Last edited by Rescue; 08-28-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #229
alaskanpilot
Registered Member

alaskanpilot is on a distinguished road
Default Hello.. I'm new here and to 4x4-ing!

Hello Everyone,
This is my first time posting here, but I spent most of today reading over many of the posts in this section of the forum and I'm thinking this off road stuff is a lot of fun!

My name's Jason, and I am VERY new to 4x4's. I literally know nothing... totally green... about it. I bought a new truck last month which is the first vehicle I've owned that wasn't a sports car. It's a simple Ford Ranger... 4x4 with a V6, brand new. I'd love to find out, among other things, how and when to use 4H and 4L and also learn about off-road stuff in general.

I've seen that many of you have REALLY rugged off road vehicles, mostly Jeeps. I've read of many of the trips, and they are certainly way beyond the capabilities of a stock 4x4 pickup, but I'd love to see some of them if anyone ever has an open seat sometime.

I don't have any plans to beef up my truck... so I guess I'm hoping to find some "easy" stuff that I can handle and learn with/from. If anyone has advice, suggestions, ideas, or locations that are easy, or if anyone wants to spend some time with a very green newbie to teach him the basics, please let me know! I'd like to get involved in this a little more.

-Jason
alaskanpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #230
Georgia
Survival Of The Sickest

Georgia is on a distinguished road

First, let me say, welcome to the forum. Most of the people you will find on this board are eager and willing to answer any questions you may have. It may be a little bit of short notice, but I am going out tomorrow night to a trail near Kings River. I will have an open seat if you are wanting to ride along. You can find the thread and the information pertaining to the run here:

Ruby Lake Night Run

If you are interested in riding along, then please post so I know. Should you decide to go, I will get ahold of you and figure out when and where to meet.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Jhhill.net

Tucson Off Road

Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #231
AlaskaToy
AO Disavowed

AlaskaToy is on a distinguished road

if you are a pilot, you have cash. Cash is good in this sport. You will spend a lot of cash on a stock rig to make it do things you want it to do. THen you will spend more. THen more. Then more. I can save you a lot of time by simply sending you a link: http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...6&page=1&pp=25

Welcome to AK. You don't know it yet, but you are in heaven.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #232
Maddening
Registered Member

Maddening is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaToy
if you are a pilot, you have cash.
Is that how it's sposed to work? I know plenty of broke *** bush pilots, I wonder what they're doing wrong.
Maddening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #233
AlaskaToy
AO Disavowed

No need to be a smartass about it all. If I'm wrong correct me. Maybe I'm way off base. Maybe your broke *** bush pilots are flying guys around on your salary .

Last edited by AlaskaToy; 08-18-2005 at 06:07 PM.
AlaskaToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #234
Maddening
Registered Member

Notice the at the end.. I wasn't at all serious about my post.. everybody way too tense around here!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #235
AlaskaToy
AO Disavowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddening
Notice the at the end.. I wasn't at all serious about my post.. everybody way too tense around here!
realized that after my post. post revized with appropriate "sillycons" Biting tone withdrawn

Last edited by AlaskaToy; 08-18-2005 at 06:16 PM.
AlaskaToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #236
Maddening
Registered Member

Heh.. OK, tis all good.

Now as for the original post before I pirated... I'd suggest starting with something else other than a brand new Ranger. If you can afford it buy a cheap 4x4 and do some small cheap easy mods like mud tires (maybe a small lift to fit say 31" tires if your rig can't fit em stock) and tow hooks (so long as you have someone else to get you out) and get out there and bash around with it to see if you really like it or not.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #237
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Take a look in the For Sale section. There's a nice Toyota truck for sale. Would be all you need to wheel.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #238
alaskanpilot
Registered Member

alaskanpilot is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warm reception everyone! Let's see... to Georgia, I'd love to ride along but this weekend is looking pretty busy on my end, but thanks for the offer! AlaskaToy, I am in fact a commercial pilot, altough I am not actually employed as such. I do have a job as a B727 Loadmaster, so I am able to fly all over the state every week that way... and yes, I do know that AK is heaven! Been here 7 years and never moving outside. Anyway, sadly I do not have a lot of cash. Nor do I have a place to store a 2nd vehicle, so the Ranger may certainly not be the best choice, but it's what I have to work with and if I can find a few areas that a wimpy Ranger can handle without making it explode or require expensive mods, I'll be happy. Besides, being so new to this, I'm not sure I'd want to jump right into the aggressive stuff even if I had the funding for it. I don't even know the basics... Well, I know that it's not smart to keep your thumb inside the steering wheel... I read that somewhere. But that's about it. Meanwhile I'll keep my eyes peeled on this board until an upcoming trip coincides with my free time, and then look for an open seat.

Last edited by alaskanpilot; 08-18-2005 at 09:28 PM.
alaskanpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:51 AM   #239
kbeefy
Registered Member

kbeefy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaToy
if you are a pilot, you have cash.

Hey!! Wheres my money??

Umm, yeah... welcome!! Rangers aren't that bad, at least theres some aftermarket support for them. Really, you can make any run with just a winch, and in my opinion everyone should have one. At least don't go to far without someone that has one. Some decent tires will make life easier as well, and it spirals out of control from there.

Get yourself a good towstrap, make sure you have front and rear recovery points, and hook up with one of the clubs on a 'friendly' run. Don't go to knik. Ever. At least not when it's not frozen out there. Your vehicle will thank you.

Basically, 4h is for winter highway driving, 4l is for when you hit the trail or need the extra torque or controlability.
Have fun, it's a great sport!
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #240
phillyman
Registered Member

phillyman is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=kbeefy]Hey!! Wheres my money??

yeah me too!!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #241
akstpndp
Registered Member

akstpndp is on a distinguished road
Default hello there

hi guys, and gals, im new here too. though i have been checkin out the site off and on for a while. figured i'd join up and see about makin friends and havin some fun, now that i work half of the year..... was wantin to refurbish my old bronco that got handed down to me from my grandfather. he bought it new in 69, so i guess i and the second owner of a beat up little truck. it probably has 2 or 3 thousand pavement miles on it, since grandad used it on the farm exclusively. anyways hi my name is jed
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #242
Fix-It
Registered Member

Fix-It is on a distinguished road

my good friend back in texas he wheeled a 94 ranger with great results being his 1 weak link was his factory hubs ...we went through several till we updated axles and put in arb lockers later on . but he had the std cab so he had a great breakover point and the 4.0 was a great motor for that size rig .

he took it through some awsome places . coming from the desert i saw some awsome rangers and mazda versions racing through the desert with great luck .

wheel it it wont take long to see it short comings and strengths , improve as you see fit . but always go with a better more capable rig to help get ya out .

you will get stuck its all on how you handle and deal with it that counts .

must have a tow point front and rear or bad things happen ! good luck have fun .

wayne
Old 08-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #243
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Anyone who tells a new guy to go to Knik is a Noob himslef.

AlaskanPilot- Alaska Extreme 4x4 advertises thier public meetings here. Feel free to attend one. They will make you stand up and introduce yourself...lol, but that is about as rough as it gets. Get to know some of the guys and grab an open seat a time or two.

4x4's area a great way to see AK.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:27 AM   #244
jpsfri

jpsfri is on a distinguished road

welcome to the board.
i change to your vehicle i would make is some mud terrain tires, maybe slightly larger than the stock tires. like the guys said above, tow points are a must if you don't wamt your rigs pulled to pieces. also a good tow strap. granted the guys you go with will have one, but it is good to rely on what you know you have, not hope someone has. i would recommend having tools, survival gear, general knowledge of the area you are going( ie which direction town is) and last but not least a friend with a good sense of humor.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:36 AM   #245
bigsub
Been there, done that.

bigsub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsfri
and last but not least a friend with a good sense of humor.
Is that all I am?
bigsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #246
gavin
Registered Member

gavin is on a distinguished road

unfortunately for a 3rd gen ranger, there aren't any very cheap lifts except for a body lift of course.. and even that will run around $200.
But they got good engines in 'em, and the axles can handle around 35s depending on skinny-pedal usage.
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #247
Sarge
Registered Member

Sarge is on a distinguished road

PM JeffJ on this board. He wheels a really nice Ranger. Lots of mods, and it trails very well. It's also his DD.

Dammit, it's hot here!
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #248
kbeefy
Registered Member

kbeefy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
Anyone who tells a new guy to go to Knik is a Noob himslef.

I'm not exactly sure where that came from but if it was directed towards me read my post again.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #249
gavin
Registered Member

gavin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
PM JeffJ on this board. He wheels a really nice Ranger. Lots of mods, and it trails very well. It's also his DD.
yup, he's got a nice look Ranger too.. but the front suspension is different between the 2
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:53 PM   #250
Doobie
Formerly bhd1223

Doobie is on a distinguished road
Default Another Noob for everyone to say hi to!!

Hello Everyone
I have moved over more towards the fun part of vehicles with wanting to go offroading and such. came from the import/racing scene a couple years back. i'm fairly mechanicly inclined but not so much with all the electonic gizmos they got in all these new trucks. i have a nice tacoma id like to go riding with and currently looking for a set of tires for the daily driver/want to be on some muddy holes and nice trails use. any suggestions for the terrain up here would be nice. id love to go following along on a ride but i doubt my stock taco can get to far into anything. ive tried to rummage around on base and probably break a ton of laws driving through some nice trails i found and up some hug inclines and any muddy hole i can hit. id love to find some spots to go riding and get my truck nice and dirty and have an enjoyable time. if there is any way i could maybe get some directions to some fun but basic and not to crazy trails or anywhere i can really hit it offroad near anchorage that would be nice. im currently living on elmendorf and i would like to find some places i could maybe hit up once or twice a week after work and also some places for the weekends. i know winter is **** close and i bet trudging through the snow is just as fun. But anyways Hi, and well. thats what im intrested in.

P.S. -- My buddy has a bronco and he want to go wheeling as well.
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote