Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #426
AKBearMoose
JK WK F350 F150

AKBearMoose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: >>>THE OFFICIAL NEW MEMBER CHECK-IN THREAD<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters View Post

Been a lot of places seen a lot of things but nothing beats Alaska or its people...except some of that Anchor-town crowd............but all and all wouldn't dream of being anywhere else and look foreword to learning the Art of wheel'n AK style.....with a lil NOCAL attitude.
Welcome...and don't hold Anchorage against us, it is as close as you can get to Alaska without actually going to "ALASKA" (Same as we don't hold Norcal folks responsible for the rest of that liberal HELL called Kalifornia. )

Help me...I caught the Jeep thing!

( ||||||| )
o _________ o
\__o__o__/

Last edited by AKBearMoose; 03-15-2007 at 12:03 PM.
AKBearMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #427
Acadinak
Registered Member

Acadinak is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm new to the board, but been reading it for a while.
I've been through lots of 4 wheelers in the past, mostly chevys, and it time for something new. I have a 85 suburban 4wd with recent crate motor and rebuilt trans. I'vs been thinking of building it into my off road rig, but have also recently decided I really like Jeeps. So I'm split. I see the parts I need to build the burban, but also see a couple jeeps for sale I might want. Decisions, decisions....

I may not contribute much, but will certainly follow all the threads.

I'm from Wasilla, and might end up meeting a few of you as time goes by. Maybe have a ot 2. :-)

Thanks for the great board.

Acadinak
Acadinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #428
akdsmer
Registered Member

akdsmer is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at this forum for quite a while, but because of some account glitches haven't been able to post. That's fixed, so here I am.

I was born in Fairbanks, I'm current president of Arctic Off Road, and have previously wheeled zukis around. Just picked up an Early Bronco and am preparing to build that up. I expect it to be done by M&G! Like a few others up here, land use issues are a big deal, and I managed to get to Healy to discuss the Stampede Road issue.

It's good to be on board. Thanks.
akdsmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #429
4Bolt
Registered Member

4Bolt is on a distinguished road

hey everyone. i'm just a new member checkin in. I recently pulled my head out of my drain pan and decided to keep my ride instead of sellin it. I drive a '79 K-5 that I just put a 4 bolt 350 in, It's got 34 swampers and the usual other stuff on. Also it's got a 8' fischer plow on it that I'm tryin to trade off for a winch (hopefully at least 12,000 lb or so.)
4Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #430
AK SloPok
Registered Member

AK SloPok is on a distinguished road

Welcome, great to see so many new "faces". Hope to see yall on the trail this summer, if I ever get that far!
AK SloPok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #431
96toyotaco
Registered Member

96toyotaco has disabled reputation

well hello there ... ive been sitting at the computor for weeks (not all at once but every bit of spare time)going through everything on this site reading for hours in the wee morning learning lots this has been my home page for awhile and i just got all joined up and i already found my new tires. this is the greatest thing iv ever seen networking with so many people. i drive and wheel a 96 toyota tacoma 3inch rear 2.5 front now on 33 12.5s r15s and proud to say i rool with the four banger 2.7 4 cyl o ya .. my favorite part is the light ber made from an old jeep luggage rack all cut down beat to fit pait to match! my summer project is a 92 jeep cherokee id like to see it on 35s someday any tips on where to get started building this up or good products ALL advise and tips are greatly appreciated thank you James a.k.a. Dancer p.s. sorry its so long

One Of The Few But Proud Pirates Of The Last Frontier

AlaskA Pirate Offroad
ID FOR A
96toyotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #432
69_baja_girl
Registered Member

69_baja_girl is on a distinguished road

Hey folks, My name is Shannon, I'm sorry to say I live in the "big city", but I get out to the valley frequently, and I'm not afraid to get my hands (and feet, and clothes, and car) dirty. :P

My project is a 1969 VW baja Bug with 29's in the front, and 31's in the back (it doesn't sound like much, but it looks like a tiny beast with those tires). My goal for the summer is to get it all the way back to the glacier without needing to be towed thru any river crossings....she's got a ways to go. I ride with a bunch of boys in full size pickups, so I'm the baby of the group by a long shot, but I hold my own.

69_baja_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #433
AK SloPok
Registered Member

Welcome! Love the bug, had a 74 that I converted to a Baja style. I remember doing all the fiberglass work with a dremel tool. LAME! I also recall repairing the floor on the passenger side with a stop sign. Those were the days...

I ran a set of BFG all terrains on the back of mine. It was my only car for about 2 years and it was **** cold in the winter.

My newest ride isn't much bigger, a Sami and Bug might even weigh the same... but the Sami has the edge in hp...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #434
69_baja_girl
Registered Member

69_baja_girl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK SloPok View Post
My newest ride isn't much bigger, a Sami and Bug might even weigh the same... but the Sami has the edge in hp...

Yeah, just a slight edge, LOL, I'm still running the stock 1600 cc motor on mine, though I did nab it out of a 74 super. Did you change the front axles when you converted your 74 to a Baja, or did you keep the McPhearson Struts? I've always heard they where terrible for offroad use....
69_baja_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #435
AK SloPok
Registered Member

I did not have the Super, just the standard so I did not have to deal with the struts... I did turn the rear torsions to get some lift but I left the front stock height, I wanted to install an adjustable beam but never got around to it. However there is a guy up here running an Super baja. Very nice ride too. For all things VW check out www.arcticaircooledvws.com
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #436
747 Mechanic
Registered Member

747 Mechanic has disabled reputation

Hello to All!! I am new to the board and am checking in. Post a greeting in the "post here everyday thread" then found out that I screwed that one away. Sorry about that. ANYWAY,

My family and I moved here from Lynnwood Washington. I have had a few off road rigs....... Ford, Chevy, Toyota. I love them all. I am looking for a 3/4 ton 'Burban at the moment. I am an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic and work on Northwest Airlines Cargo 747-200F(So I am used to BIG rigs....).

I am looking forward to joining everyone out and about on the trails. Thanks for letting me jioning you all, from what I have seen so far y'all have a great setup here in Alaska.

- Paul
747 Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #437
AK SloPok
Registered Member

Welcome Paul! You will find that most folks here are very cool and helpful, some may have a temper but its all in good fun.

There is a show and shine in Wasilla on Saturday and a Club meeting tonight if you are thinking of that route.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #438
Mopar Mudder
Registered Member

Mopar Mudder has disabled reputation

Iím new here so I thought id say hi and tell you who I am. Im marred and have 4 kids we all love to get out on the trail almost every weekend in the truck or on foot (mostly both).
Iíve lived here for 17 years and been into 4bys forever. Im very imprested
with the level of skill thatís gone into some of the rigs on here. I have always just cut the fenders on old trucks tell the biggest tires I had would fit. Now im planning a serious xj project. My last rig died in the mud above Sutton. By the way if one of you was the nice person that pulled it out win I wasnít there Thank You . Anyway I hope to see you all on the trails this summer.
Mopar Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #439
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

Hello all, I am newer here. I own two rigs right now, an 83 Chev Shorty and an 86 Longbed Chev. I have been wheeling pretty much my whole life (or at least around it when I was younger). I have been back in Ak for about two years, and unfortunatley have had little eperience out on our trails. I did most of my wheeling in Cali and Arizona.

I do want to give a special thanks to Garreth and a guy named Mike for helping me out at Jim Creek. I had just got out there, and had run into some folks getting ready to tow out a car they had their way with. I decided to get up on top of it and grap a couple pics. But on the way down, some sheet metal caught my front left tire. Needless to say there is now a 7 inch long gash in my 37 inch X-Terrain.

Garreth pulled up in his sweet arse Jeep. He was exceedingly friendly and helpful. He put his onboard air to some good use in getting my old wheel off and cutting a retaining braket from Mikes spare on his Ford. If it wasnt for these guys, it would have been a real long day seeing as how I had no spare.

THANKS ALOT GUYS AT 2 Broke 2 Play, you FREAKIN ROCK!!!

I would load up some pics, but I cant seem to figure it out.....so maybe latter. Have a good one.
ChevyMan0784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #440
NY Wheeler
Registered Member

NY Wheeler has disabled reputation

Whats up all. I'm new here. I've been refered her by a few people including mrBean. I know alot about cars and motors but i've seen alot of jeeps up here and i don't know crap about them so i'm here to learn.
NY Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #441
Little Giant
Bitter Member

Little Giant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Wheeler View Post
Whats up all. I'm new here. I've been refered her by a few people including mrBean. I know alot about cars and motors but i've seen alot of jeeps up here and i don't know crap about them so i'm here to learn.
Where in NY are you from?

My name is Cactus.
Little Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #442
akbuchta
Registered Member

akbuchta has disabled reputation

Hey all!! Im chris and I have lived in the ak all my life, im into all things related to 4x4, fishing, snowmobile, etc. I currently only own 1 toy a 2004 troy lee pred 500 which im currently trying to sell. Im new to selling things so a friend refered me to this site so it can get some more exposure and ive always wanted to join a group that understands AK related things and meeting new people doesnt hurt aswell hope to talk to yall more in the future!!
akbuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #443
alaskakaz
Registered Member

alaskakaz has disabled reputation
Default New to Jeep

Check.

Just picked up a '90 XJ 2dr - stock. Not going to build it up immediately, but am looking forward to building a fun driver/play rig.

I'm a Land Rover guy at heart and will be getting a DII again before too long. Jeeps are great, but there's nothing as sweet as just driving off the road w/o having to pull levers or push buttons...and it drives like 7 series sedan in town!

Anyway, pics to come...

/K
alaskakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #444
NY Wheeler
Registered Member

NY Wheeler has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Giant View Post
Where in NY are you from?
i lived about 30mins east of albany. i could drive to the mass or vermont boarders in less than 15mins

'94 Dodge Intrepid - Junked
'89 Plymouth Acclaim - Junked
'79 Volkswagon Bug - Sold
'92 Honda Civic CX- Sold
'94 Honda Civic EX - Junked
'90 Chevy S10 - Wrecked/Sold
'98 Ford Ranger XLT
'90 Jeep Cherokee - Sold
'03 Dodge Ram 2500 - Sold
'03 Ford F250 Diesel - Returned
'04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
'90 Eagle Talon
NY Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #445
Little Giant
Bitter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Wheeler View Post
i lived about 30mins east of albany. i could drive to the mass or vermont boarders in less than 15mins
Yeah, you must be right near the border. I spent 4 years in Troy (went to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute), and I remember it not taking more than a half hour to the Vermont border on route 7.

You were probably surrounded by farms right?

My name is Cactus.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #446
UstabeBob
Registered Member

UstabeBob is on a distinguished road

A re-introduction of sorts:

My name is Mike. My Jeep's name is Bob. I used to post under the name Bob, but when the board transferred from Northern to BGreen, for some reason the username "Bob" was locked out. Therefore, I UstabeBob.

I learned to wheel in the deserts and mountains of Idaho. Lava rock, sand, and granite were all I knew. I made trips out of state to places in the west like the Rubicon, but essentially it was dry rock crawling that I loved most. When I moved to Florida, I wheeled different types of rocks (covered with slimy, clay-based mud) in places like Tellico and all over the southeast and Oklahoma. Lots of long highway drives in a trail Jeep, that's for sure. Then I moved up here, and was introduced to bottomless mud. My wheeling repertoire grew with each move, and the more I learned the less I found I knew.

I held each of the executive officer positions for the Last Frontier Four Wheelers at one time or another. I ran their website for a few years, taking over from Jason Hickey. For those of you who haven't been here long, there was a time when Last Frontier was many times the size of AK Extreme or any of the other clubs in the Anchorage area. My how times change. At one point we realized that having 15 rigs on a run is a novel idea, but after a while you realize it's just slow, boring, and puts unnecessary strain on the trail system. While we were curtailing our recruitment efforts, AK Extreme experienced a revival and got huge. Both groups were happier that way. We both had websites under the Northern 4x4 website (Jason designed that site), and the old web board was started there.

After the web board was started, we noticed a rise in "independent" wheelers. They were always there, we just didn't notice them as much before. Nothing wrong with that. The web board allowed them a central location to set up trail runs outside of the clubs. We noticed fewer and fewer people joining clubs. Why pay for it when you can get it for free?

The clubs used to coordinate their runs to try to ensure that they wouldn't be on the same trail the same weekend (although it happened from time to time) to keep the impact down. When LF4W would set up our season's calendar, we would try not to run a trail more than 2 times a year, leaving a couple months between visits. Sometimes that didn't pan out, but we made the effort. We tried to do every established trail each year, sequencing them so we didn't hit them when they were most fragile, and it seemed to help.

With the rise of the "independent" wheeler, that coordination didn't exist. Many people would run the same trail over and over again- simply because they didn't know where any other trails were. The Boulder Creek and Kings River basins got hammered. Without the guiding influence of a club, many new wheelers developed really, really bad habits.

...and I got burned out. A career change, a divorce, and other issues contributed, but I just found it wasn't fun anymore. Every time I ran Ruby Lake I got a little more depressed, and I knew I couldn't do a thing about it. I shoveled and I stacked and I braced, but I knew it was a losing battle when fewer and fewer people really cared. "Buy bigger tires" was the common solution. Repacking wheel bearings after a less-than-enjoyable run is not a whole lot of fun. So, I checked out. I put the CJ-5 on a storage lot and found other pursuits that gave me the same thrill wheeling used to. A couple wheeling trips with one of my oldest and best friends rekindled my interest, and I'm easing myself back into the scene.

It probably seems like I come off all negative all the time. I burned out on being the cheerleader a long time ago, but generally I'm a pretty positive guy. If I disagree with you, I'll tell you and explain why. I'd expect the same from anyone.

I'm not into the crowd scene, which is why I haven't participated in the Meet & Greet or other large events- I'm just not interested. Small groups on interesting trails are what I'm after. There are trails that I haven't been on in years that I'd like to see again- I bet the vast majority of people here have seen them either. How many of you have run Sheep Creek recently? Not many, I'd wager. Gunsight? Nahhhhh. Shame, they're fun trails. Spread out people- it's a big state.

At any rate, this is who I am. I'll probably **** you off at one time or another. Just realize that it's not for spite or giggles, and I'd say the same to you on the trail. If there's a misunderstanding, I'd rather clear it up and make my position clear. I'm too tired to sugar coat it anymore.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #447
Little Giant
Bitter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UstabeBob View Post
...and I got burned out. A career change, a divorce, and other issues contributed, but I just found it wasn't fun anymore. Every time I ran Ruby Lake I got a little more depressed, and I knew I couldn't do a thing about it. I shoveled and I stacked and I braced, but I knew it was a losing battle when fewer and fewer people really cared. "Buy bigger tires" was the common solution. Repacking wheel bearings after a less-than-enjoyable run is not a whole lot of fun. So, I checked out. I put the CJ-5 on a storage lot and found other pursuits that gave me the same thrill wheeling used to. A couple wheeling trips with one of my oldest and best friends rekindled my interest, and I'm easing myself back into the scene.
I was wondering what happened to you, I honestly thought you had moved out of state because you completely "dropped out" of the four wheel drive scene.

Your trip reports on LF4W site was part of the inspiration to re-establish a website for AKX, the one that was under northern's website.

Good introduction/reintroduction. Lots of names and faces have come and gone since then, so lots of people here didn't know you. And as I learned on Friday, there are some that knew you from "back in the day" that didn't make the connection with the new user name.

Welcome back. We will probably end up agreeing to disagree in the future, but I know you aren't just trying to stir the pot and can justify your opinions.

My name is Cactus.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #448
tjgreen
Registered Member

tjgreen is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm TJGreen. I'm new to this network. I've lived in Anchorage most of my life; still do actually. I bought my 2000 green TJ a few months ago from Tommyf. (I think it's the same Tommyf.) I haven't done anything crazy with it yet, because it's my daily driver and I'm not ready to break anything on it yet. I am interested in some mild trail running though. Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of this forum and I'll see you around.

Mike
tjgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #449
aktuffmama
Registered Member

aktuffmama has disabled reputation

Hi I'm aktuffmama. Born and raised Alaskan. I live in the valley. I love 4 wheeling. My husband has a 75 LandCruiser he would let me drive sometimes. Then I wouldn't let him drive anymore, so he got a 4 Runner for me. We have three kids, all boys. Who like to get muddy also. This site IS addicting. I'm looking for people to go with and show me the way on these beautiful Alaska trails. Amanda
aktuffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #450
geeky907
Registered Member

geeky907 is on a distinguished road

Welcome Aboard TJGreen....

And aktuffmama

"...It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing..."

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

Support our TROOPS, Not Because you agree with why they do it, but because they do what they're told.. Even if they're told to DIE.

Yes, I drive a Nissan, and if you keep Doggin it, i WONT pull you out! ... and YES... its UGLY AS SIN!!!
geeky907 is offline   Reply With Quote