Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > The Shutterbug

The Shutterbug This forum is for discussion of all things related to taking great photographs.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough
Default Canon EOS 50d SLR

I am getting this camera. It is a Canon EOS 50D SLR. I hear 99 percent good things about this camera. Just that it has a few quirks. Something about the noise reduction not being as good as the 40D, and that the 15.1 MP isnt worth the extra dough. But Ive heard that it has other new features that do make it worth it. Anyone have any opinions or experience with the 50D?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
dtshooter
Registered Member

dtshooter has disabled reputation
Default Re: Canon EOS 50d SLR

My brother picked one up about two months. The pictures that I have seen look good. He is new to the DSLRs, was using a high end point and shoot. I have messed with it aliittle bit and I like what I have seen. Myself, I'm shooting an XSI, it has been good but in the near future hope to step up to the 5D Mark ll.
dtshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
moo.
Registered Member

moo. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan0784 View Post
I am getting this camera. It is a Canon EOS 50D SLR. I hear 99 percent good things about this camera. Just that it has a few quirks. Something about the noise reduction not being as good as the 40D, and that the 15.1 MP isnt worth the extra dough. But Ive heard that it has other new features that do make it worth it. Anyone have any opinions or experience with the 50D?

the 50D is an awsome camera, i would reccomend picking it up off newegg or costco.com, get body only if you can find it, and pick up your own lenses. it is worth the money, and 15mp isnt huge, but it shoots it at 6fps, which is really nice. i only played around with one for a few days till our 5d II came in, and i miss the frame rate (the 5d II only shoots 3.7fps) you will never use the HD video feature on teh 5d, and live view is pretty much worthless unless you're shooting macro. i'm gonna pick up a 50d as a secondary camera when i get the spare change (maybe next week)

GL with your endevor, and get your money's worth!

www.kohlerphotography.com
Scalable Customizable Professional Photography
moo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

FJK3LLY has disabled reputation

I really liked the 50D. As the previous post said, we had one for a while before we picked up our newest baby. I shot a wedding with it (even tried out the kit lens which wasn't that bad, or that good I suppose) and I really fell in love with the feel of the camera as well as the fast continuos shoot, the ease of use (professional set-up compared to consumer), and the awesome pictures. You will definitely go far with that body and the right lenses. And if you really care about superior noise reduction, go with the 5D or 1D series! I doubt you'd be able to discern a major difference between the noise reduction in a 40D and 50D (the 50D and 5D is another story!)

FJK3LLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Right on, thank you guys for your input. I have heard some complaints about the lense that I am getting with it. But, it will be good for starters at least. I am actually newer to photography, especially when it comes to lenses. So I may be back for additional help.

From everyone I have talked to, it seems like the 50D is really good in its class. Im pretty stoked, I cant wait to get it. Ill be sure to post some pictures when I get it on friday or saturday.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

Quote:
Right on, thank you guys for your input. I have heard some complaints about the lense that I am getting with it. But, it will be good for starters at least. I am actually newer to photography, especially when it comes to lenses. So I may be back for additional help.

From everyone I have talked to, it seems like the 50D is really good in its class. Im pretty stoked, I cant wait to get it. Ill be sure to post some pictures when I get it on friday or saturday.
That lens will be an excellent starter lens (especially since it has image stabilization with the unfortunate slow aperture). Like I seem to tell everyone though, if you can spare an extra $100 after you get the camera, buy the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II and you will have all you need until you have the need/money for some higher end lenses. You can usually find it in stock at the camera stores in town because it's a pretty popular inexpensive little lens. The 50mm will give you shallow depth of field and the kit lens will give you a wider angle to a telephoto when you need it.

Last edited by FJK3LLY; 07-13-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
B-uno
Banned

B-uno is on a distinguished road

nothing will take as good as pic as the nikon D3x right now.

professional grade.
Attached Images

B-uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-uno View Post
nothing will take as good as pic as the nikon D3x right now.

professional grade.
I promise you I could take a better picture with his 50D than you could with the Nikon D3x.

But I know you are just trying to stir the pot between Nikon and Canon lovers. There is nothing wrong with either of them, but you can't assume that a better camera will make you capture better pictures.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

lol.... ive been around people who use both. from what i undersrand, nikons are like fords and canons are like chevys. both are good, but there is only one that is the best. ie, canon/chevy (jab jab, lol....). jk, but i will take your advice on the 50mm, kelly. i do have the money for good ones, so if there is a specific one i could try, let me know.... id like to take some basic photography classes too. like you said, money cant buy you a good eye, experience, and a stable hand.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
T-Bone
Registered Member

T-Bone is on a distinguished road

If you have the money you might as well get the 50mm f1.4 its not "L" quality but its way better than the f1.8. I have it, and love it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
_______
/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
If you have the money you might as well get the 50mm f1.4 its not "L" quality but its way better than the f1.8. I have it, and love it.
Exactly, I also have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. It's probably my favorite and I have a few L's. You should be able to find it for around $300. And it is definitely noticeably better quality, quieter, and faster than the nifty fifty.

If you want to make ME jealous though, pick up the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM. Drool, I cannot wait to get that one. Oh! We just sold our Jeep! Maybe I will finally get it! Hehe.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
moo.
Registered Member

Quote:
i do have the money for good ones, so if there is a specific one i could try, let me know.... .
Canon 50mm 1.2L II
Canon 85mm 1.2L II
Canon 16-35 2.8L II
Canon 24-70 2.8L
Canon 70-200 2.8L
Canon 24mm 2.8L / Canon 28mm 1.8 USM
Canon MP-E 65mm
Ring light
and 420 EX(or newer) mountable flash.

Put together that arsenal and you will have the best of the best for every shooting situation (aside from distance telephoto) its the ideal setup (throw a fisheye inthere for creative stuff, but they are very limmited for uses)

all thoes lenses can be had for... right around $12,000

Last edited by moo.; 07-14-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
T-Bone
Registered Member

T-Bone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJK3LLY View Post
Exactly, I also have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. It's probably my favorite and I have a few L's. You should be able to find it for around $300. And it is definitely noticeably better quality, quieter, and faster than the nifty fifty.

If you want to make ME jealous though, pick up the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM. Drool, I cannot wait to get that one. Oh! We just sold our Jeep! Maybe I will finally get it! Hehe.
I'm with you on the 85mm f1.2. I had the chance to use it last month. Definetly a future prospect.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
_______
/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

He brings up somewhat of a good point. That Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM might be a good alternative too, if you can't find the 50mm 1.4. It will give you a little bit wider of an angle, but if you are shooting people's faces it will give a little distortion at the edges (which isn't good!) compared to the "normal" 50mm. But that's a sweet little lens too, for around the same price. Wide angles become important (especially on a crop sensor) because in tight situations its hard to fit it all in the frame with the 50mm.

That list is a BIT excessive since you'll probably only be using 3 of those if you really had the choice (I'd choose to bring a 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, and a 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.2 where ever I go, maybe a fisheye if I had one) That's all I need for a big event anyway.

Last edited by FJK3LLY; 07-14-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
B-uno
Banned

B-uno is on a distinguished road

so what you guys got against the Nikon?
B-uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I'm with you on the 85mm f1.2. I had the chance to use it last month. Definetly a future prospect.
Awesome, do you have any pics from when you used it? I love seeing that lens in action. I wonder if Canon (or a distributor) would give a group buy discount... haha.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
moo.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-uno View Post
so what you guys got against the Nikon?
well, for starters... nikon cameras are:

a) more expensive for comparable models
b) more expensive for lenses
c) have fewer lens options
d) have lower quality glass avaliable
e) the lenses that are avaliable are more expensive for comparable canon quality
f) how slower FPS rates
g) have lower MP on their higher end cameras
h) they have a 'k' in their name.. and there for are kommis

i.e.
canon t1i : nikon d90
15.1mp : 12mp
$899msrp : $1225msrp

canon 50d : nikon d300
15.1mp : 12.3mp
6.3fps : 6.0fps
100-12800sio : 100-6400iso
29oz : 32.6oz
$1300msrp : $1500msrp

Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Wow....lol. Thats alot of great info. Is there a site that has a page that explains each lens' use? Like, what you use it for, which types are best for what situations. Maybe something that also delves into the technical aspect. Ie, what "all the numbers mean"? Deffinitions and acronyms? etc.... That would be extremely useful, for me. Since i am newer to photography. Oh, and i will most deffinately post pics as soon as i get home and crack the box open, lol....
Old 07-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #19
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

Well each lens does not have it's own specific use, it completely depends on the eye of the photographer. You could use any of the lenses for anything you really want. You'll just have to test them out to see what you think looks best.

If you asked "What would be a good portrait lens" then I would say the best I've seen is the 85mm 1.2. If you asked "What's a good landscape lens?' then I'd say a wider angle (anything lower than 35mm) lens would get a lot of landscape in one shot. But you could use a wide angle for portraits if you really wanted, and I've seen some nice landscape shots come from the 85mm 1.2.

There are plenty of websites out there that can explain everything to you, but the best way to learn is to just hang around some photographers who know about it and to just learn as you go. I've been visiting a site for awhile now that has a lot of information (but it's a forum so it can turn opinionated too!). The site is http://photography-on-the.net/forum/.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
moo.
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow....lol. Thats alot of great info. Is there a site that has a page that explains each lens' use? Like, what you use it for, which types are best for what situations. Maybe something that also delves into the technical aspect. Ie, what "all the numbers mean"? Deffinitions and acronyms? etc.... That would be extremely useful, for me. Since i am newer to photography. Oh, and i will most deffinately post pics as soon as i get home and crack the box open, lol....
Kelly might haven mentioned, but we do offer classes on photography/digital photography, go over everything from framing, to shooting settings, to getting the right exposure for every shot. the numbers on a lens might seem confusing at first, but they become second nature quickly, and you can imagine just by the stats what they could potentially be good at.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Sooooo, I am FREAKIN stoked about my new camera!! It really does rock... The quality is supurb, both physically and digitally. I am still playing with it quite a bit. And there is alot to learn yet. I went out and bought a new computer that will keep up with the camera and future software for post editing. I figured out the difference between RAW and JPeg. Now, I am just trying to figure out what software to go with. I keep coming up with Adobe's Lightroom 2. Any suggestions as to what I should go with??
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

I use Lightroom 2.4 and Photoshop CS4. Lightroom 2 (or any version) is awesome for quick cropping and color adjustments. Using RAW and Lightroom 2 you will have a ton of options for under/over exposure recovery, correcting white balance, and playing with colors or fill light. JPEG edits will be a lot more limited. CS4 (or any photoshop) has a lot more advanced sharpening/noise reduction and selected area editing options.

I have a PC but there are great programs for Macs too (Aperture is one, I've personally never used it though.)

Where are some pictures?!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Sweet, thank you! Yea, I know, Im bad. Ive been taking pics with it. But nothing really worth posting yet... I have a couple Ill throw up anyways. I took a pic of the gargoyle on my front porch. I did some things with it in the Canon workshop thing that came with the camera... Not sure if it will make any difference on the web though.

Before:

After:

Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #24
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Apparently not, lol.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #25
FJK3LLY
Registered Member

I forgot to mention.. Lightroom is a decent price however Photoshop CS4 is quite spendy. Try out GIMP for a free alternative to Photoshop. I've done some examples of my work using CS4 and using GIMP. Pretty comparable.

www.gimp.org

There is a HUGE learning curve on that. You'll definitely need to know how to use the features (with all of these programs) in order to get the most out of them. People that have these skills though generally guard them because that is how they stand out in the industry! It's taken me many many years to learn everything I know about Photoshop and I just learned something new yesterday!