Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > General Chit-Chat

General Chit-Chat Please keep this CLEAN, and FAMILY ORIENTED.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
Skipper
Registered Member

Skipper has disabled reputation
Default CJ has no/weak spark

My CJ has a 304 V8 and I have no spark at least not enough to fire the engine.
It was running fine till the battery got hooked up backwards during ago and left a charge from another vehicle for 15 minutes
I started replacing parts beginning with the voltage regulator, the solenoid, the ignition control module, the distributor, cap and rotor, plug wires and carburetor
With three spark detectors and I get spark on all eight cylinders at once. Any ideas?
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
subybaja
Registered Member

subybaja has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1976 jeep cj5

1) Weird place for a tech question. Try GCC...

2) All 8!?! Huh? Like you pulled all the plugs and watched them all fire? How does that even work, with the rotor only pointing to one wire at a time?
subybaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Skipper
Registered Member

New to the forum do you think the moderator would change it to the correct form.
Or could you tell me how
Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
DRussell
Registered Member

DRussell has disabled reputation

So when the battery was hooked up backwards for a period of time, what happened? There had to have been some melted terminals or jumper cables or something. If it stayed hooked up backwards for 15min, that's a dead short for 15 min and will creat a lot of heat.

Did you replace the battery itself? Likely melted the lead plates together inside.

Did you ever turn on the ignition while it was hooked up backwards? If not than most of your ignition system should be fine I would think.
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CJ has no/weak spark

moved...
Old 11-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
Skipper
Registered Member

Yes new batterie also. Looking at a chitons and Haynes I see fuseable links.
This thing is had so much work done on it over the years.
the fusible link by the battery isn't there.
do you think it could be in the dash or possibly the ignition switch itself?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
Skipper
Registered Member

The only thing I have it replaced is the key switch itself
Old 11-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
DRussell
Registered Member

DRussell has disabled reputation

It's really hard to say. Any time I have witnessed a large electrical malfunction it tends to melt the wires right off whatever is being fried, in your case starting at the battery but could have possibly done some damage down the line. Sorry my advise isn't better but without being there with a meter in hand you really can't tell. There should be a ignition hot 12 v heading to the coil when ignition is on. Try looking for that and make sure it's there. Let us know what you find
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

Find someone who has a good electrical meter, and the knowledge to use it. It's a CJ. Electrically speaking, they're really simple. Only so many things that can go wrong. You're either getting full voltage to your Duraspark ignition system, or you're not. A continuity check between points will tell you where you're losing it, or not. If you don't have any fusible links, that's a problem. Tells me there's been issues in the past that someone has "re-engineered". Something fried and was hard wired? Awe, crap....

Kodiak Offroad: 907-250-4054 Kurt is in Chugiak, has a long history with, and a shop full of CJ's.

Team Lance Garage: 351-5790 Dan is in Eagle river. He will understand your situation and be able to help you.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Sorry Scott, apparently your move didn't stick. Moved to GCC, HTH.

Skipper, how did you test the plug wires to determine they were all firing at once?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 11-16-2016 at 06:42 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
wasillashack
Registered Member

Of the half dozen CJ's I've owned, the first casualty of any Jeep CJ is the wiring, owners have no reservations about folding, spindling and mutilating any wiring in a Jeep. Hard to trouble shoot without hands and eyes on.
The 80 CJ7 I had had an ignition module failure, found out a Ford IM worked and was cheaper FYI. IM's are potted (encased in epoxy) be hard to see any magic smoke out of them, also, if you have power to the IM, doesn't mean it is functional. Usually an IM either works or doesn't, no in between. I have a large wooden crate filled with CJ parts, you are welcome to come by and look for anything you can use, I know there are starters, carbs, heaters, dash parts and maybe some some IMs' been several years since it was stored, yours free, if interested, please respond here. Phone went through the washer today.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 11-16-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
Skipper
Registered Member

I food with this thing for about a month replacing everything I could think of I finally took it to 4 x 4 and front wheel drive down on old Seward and 74th. I'm not a mechanic so I didn't really know what I was doing he showed me three spark detectors one in the coil and one on cylinder number one. When we crank the engine you would see a dim light fire eight times and then flash bright on the last one. The coil was firing continuously. It's already cost me over a grand and it still isn't running. If this guy in Eagle River has a garage where he works on jeeps I need to contact him. What other parts do you have in the box? I do need a mirror. The Jeep has large t urf tires on it with the extra wide rims so I can't drive it on the street. I do have a trailer for it, but until I can get it running I can't get it on the trailer. I need to get it out of there he's had it for about a month. Not his fault really the business is changing ownership.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Sorry Scott, apparently your move didn't stick. Moved to GCC, HTH.

Skipper, how did you test the plug wires to determine they were all firing at once?
It was right where i put it
Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
wasillashack
Registered Member

Scott,

I found it in "4x4 Vehicles", it was suggested to be moved to GCC, since it wasn't there, I moved it, pardon me.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
wasillashack
Registered Member

Skipper, I don't remember what is in the 2 crates, if you want to come out, at your convenience, you can have anything related to CJ's from 72 to 86. I need to keep the 66 to 71 parts. Let me know what you decide, I have no plans to go anywhere this weekend, if that helps.
The shop in Eagle River is most likely Team Lance, run by Dan Lance, sorry I don't have his number convenient. Dan is well respected.

Last edited by wasillashack; 11-18-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

315-5790

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #17
broncoformudv
Registered Member

broncoformudv is on a distinguished road

If you are getting spark but it is weak then it is in the ignition system not in the parts you replaced.

The ignition module, coil or pickup inside the distributor. Or bad sparkplugs, sparkplug wires or cap and rotor.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #18
wasillashack
Registered Member

Skipper, Did the problem get fixed? If so, what was it?