Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 12-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road
Default chevy fuel tank sender compatibility

Yet another problem...
1991 chevy k3500 old square body style.
Had a 6.2 liter diesel. Now has a 350 gasser with mechanical pump on the motor.
4wd. Dual fuel tanks.

In order to get the 90 ohm gas gauge (recommended by Summit), i needed to swap out the fuel fuel sender unit for a matching one. So i dropped the driver side tank last weekend (i hate engineers, jerks), and the fuel sending unit Summit sent me ended upnbeing too tall and looks to be made for a high pressure line set up due to the .. High pressure fittings ... The sending unit on the tank i pulled
has fancy hose clamps. I called summit and they couldnt find different one. I havent called doorman or the other company... Cant think of the name at the moment.... But they were closed.

My question... Would any gas fuel sending unit from an 80s chevy be appropriate/compatible?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation
Default Re: chevy fuel tank sender compatibility

Petey,
Are you trying to use the original fuel gauge in the truck or aftermarket?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
ak_petey
Registered Member

After market. Original was set up for diesel
Old 12-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

I'm surprised Summit couldn't provide the proper sending unit for the gauge.
If there is a Stewart Warner dealer in FBX they would be your best bet, they can usually be found at automotive/big truck electrical shops. It doesn't matter if your gauge is Stewart Warner or not, 90 ohms is 90 ohms. It may or may not be a direct bolt in, if you are trying to keep the original tank with EFI pump. The dealer should be able to help you with that. Good luck!

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 12-14-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
ak_petey
Registered Member

Not an efi pump... Mechanical Summit must be using orielly and napa computer systems now...
I was thinking the correct pump would be in a mid 80s crew cab dual tanked truck with a 350 chevy motor. I just need to know what works and be done with it
Old 12-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
wasillashack
Registered Member

I am curious why you don't re-use the diesel tanks? It would seem to be simpler.

Any '87 or earlier dual tank GM truck tank/selector valve/switch should work with appropriate wiring. If you have the original '91 tanks they may work by stripping the in- tank fuel pump and mounting the after market fuel gauge sending unit. Either way, you will most likely have to adapt the aftermarket sending unit to the tank used. The square body 73-87 tanks should all interchange using a mix of tank brackets. Joe 231 could probably answer this better.

Last edited by wasillashack; 12-14-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #7
Greythorn
Registered Member

Greythorn has disabled reputation

ya the orignal pump should work good its low pressure. if its in the tank anyhow. the older diesels i have are fords and they are all lift pumps like a gas engine on the engine block.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010409053077
Greythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
ak_petey
Registered Member

In comparison, The resistor ohms are different in the diesel fuel sending unit. It will give an incorrect reading to the 90 ohm gas gauge. Just looking to swap out the fuel sending unit. It is essentially a pick up tube since the motor pulls the fuel in
Old 12-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
wasillashack
Registered Member

Is there some reason you don't want to use the original gas gauge in the truck? I understand the aftermarket gas gauge is not compatible with the diesel fuel tank sending unit.
The only bolt in, no mod solution would be to use a pre-88 non-fuel injection tank(s).
I don't know if the mechanical pump on the engine will pull fuel thru the diesel sending unit/fuel pump assembly. I am pretty sure the diesel sending unit/fuel pump assembly could be gutted/modified to allow the mechanical pump to pull fuel through it, however that still leaves the problem of the aftermarket gauge and mounting a compatible sending unit. If you mounted the pre-88 gas tank(s) to be compatible with the mechanical fuel pump, you would still have to solve the problem of mounting the sending unit for the aftermarket gauge.
To put it in simple terms, I doubt the aftermarket sending unit will bolt directly in any stock OEM fuel tank, so mods will most likely be necessary. You seem reluctant to try to use the original fuel gauge for some reason, and did not answer my question why in post #6. If you insist on using an original sending unit/fuel pump, remove it, extend the fuel pick up to within an inch of the fuel tank bottom, mount a sock strainer from the electric in-tank fuel pump on the pick up, then you will have to modify the top of the fuel tank to mount the correct aftermarket sending unit, and wire it all.
If your correct sending unit for the aftermarket gauge is like most, it will require a hole saw about 2" in diameter to insert the sending unit in the tank, and 5 or 6 drilled holes for mounting screws. the sending unit will need a wire that runs to the gauge and probably a ground wire that runs to the chassis. There will most likely be a vent tube and possibly a return line. The return line will need to be capped.

ALWAYS remove all the fuel and sending unit/fuel pump assembly from the fuel tank and wash thoroughly with detergent and warm water, then fill the tank with water BEFORE cutting any holes. After cutting and drilling the holes needed, drain the tank, position it to continue to drain, let it drain over night, after ensuring there is no water left in the tank, assemble and install. HTH Good luck!

Last edited by wasillashack; 12-15-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
ak_petey
Registered Member

The original fuel gauge is a diesel gauge and it runs off of the cluster. the harness im using and the fuse block plugs are from different trucks. I plugged in the cluster and not everything worked. Im using an after market gauges, including a gas gauge.

To answer #6, i am using the stock diesel tanks. The resistors on the diesel sending units are not compatible with my gas gauge. If i ordered a diesel fuel gauge and ran the stock diesel tanks but filled them with gasoline,would that solve my problem?

If not i was thinking i could take the after market sending unit that currently does not fit(it has the 90 ohm resistor) and modify it to fit on the stock diesel sending unit
Old 12-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #11
ak_petey
Registered Member

I ordered the fuel sending unit with the gauge not knowing i purchased the incorrect fuel sending unit. I figure i need to explore all options now before modifying a tank, sending unit or spending more money on parts. I think i answered all questions

Last edited by ak_petey; 12-16-2016 at 07:20 PM.
ak_petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
wasillashack
Registered Member

Pete,
If you want the GM Factory Electrical manual for '91 Chevy's send me your address.
I am not aware of any real differences in gas and diesel tanks and gauges, but, I could be mistaken, you are there and I am not. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
ak_petey
Registered Member

Its reeeeeeally simple. Ground and resistor. Thats all my gauge require too. But the diesel tanks came with a different resistor.
Im going to take a quick look when i get back to the shop tonsee if sending unit resistors can be swapped
Old 12-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #14
ak_petey
Registered Member

I think i found a solution. I am going to just swap resistors. Ill have to grind out the welds off the resistor mounting plates and weld or braze them back on.. I dont know how to braze
Old 12-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
ak_petey
Registered Member

After all the chit chat i found a fix
But i cant get my photobucket to keep me logged in to upload pics.
Anyone able to load up pics for me?
Old 12-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #16
ak_petey
Registered Member

Ended up cutting off and welding the new fuel sending unit resistor bracket to the old sending unit. I cleaned up the tank's fuel sending init mount and reinstalled. Ended up burning my fuel sock but replaced itwith one i picked up from napa. Had to solder a few clips and ground wires to the metal but that was it!
Worked out really well!
Old 12-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #17
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

My photo bucket has been doing the same. Log in. Click upload and it ask to log in. Do so. Click upload and it wants to log in. Grrrrrr

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote