Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Personal Vehicle > Snowmachine

Snowmachine Fighting, Flaming, or any other form of harrasment will not be tolerated. This is not your typical out of control sled forum. Keep it clean and positive.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
AKCCF350
Registered Member

AKCCF350 is on a distinguished road
Default 93 AC Z440 Fan Cooled - Track /Skid question

I am fairly new to sleds and have never worked on them at all. I did a little riding as a kid, but have bitten the sled bug the last couple years and now have a 93 Z440 to start to play with. Since it is an older machine, I am not looing to drop thousands of dollars into it, but would like to set it up to be a good reliable runner for winter caribou hunts and just a general "out riding" for the day type of trips.

It is a 1993 AC Z440 Fan Cooled w/ 121" Track.

I have a M-10 skid and a decent track to swap onto it, but they are the same 121" setup. Is it worth it to use extensions and stretch it to 136" or is that not much better than the 121". I would like to make it a little better suited for some powder if needed, but no major crazy powder or hill climbing stuff.

I also have a newer set of the plastic skis to replace the metal ones. I have heard that'll help some too.

How capable are the old 440 fan cooled engines? Anything specific to watch out for?

Currently, my truck is under the knife....
AKCCF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Default Re: 93 AC Z440 Fan Cooled - Track /Skid question

Or, am I better off to sell this one off and put the money toward a 136" to 144" tracked machine?

Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

That machine, even with a 136" track will probably see you stuck, alot. I'm sure you could pick up something quite a bit better without forking out too much cash. What is your budget?

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full83size View Post
That machine, even with a 136" track will probably see you stuck, alot. I'm sure you could pick up something quite a bit better without forking out too much cash. What is your budget?
That's what I thought. I might swap the M10 skid, new'ish track and newer plastic skis over with what I have and keep it for a trail and lake only machine.

The budget right now is nothing... I know it's a small budget, but it's all I have to work with.

We are in the process of selling our house and purchasing (if you call it that...) another one. Money is pretty tied up right now.

When the time comes, I would say that $800-$1200 will be the budget. I know that won't buy much, but it should get me a servicable sled that I can slowly do some minor repairs and mods. I am fairly proficient with a wrench, but have never turned one on a sled.

There are quite a few on craigslist in that price range, but knowing sleds as well as I do, I could not tell you the crap from the good stuff.

When the time comes, I'll be asking more questions.