Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Technical Articles

Technical Articles Extensive step by step articles, and threads of high technical reference value.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

AirmanSkee has disabled reputation
Default Need Help with Some OBDII Codes

So for a while my truck has been running weird and I could tell it was trimming fuel and misfiring sometimes. Mostly when I would really get on it around 2-2500rpms. And would also hesitate sometimes when trying to shift up.

At first I thought it was from my new exhaust, having the rear O2s open, and maybe getting wet or just being bad. But those are only for monitoring, and don't control fuel trimming/timing/etc.

So then I was checking my MAF and other plugs and vacuum lines for leaks. And I found this little plug dangling by my K&N. I had seen it before but never bothered with it.

After doing some research, I found I should have an Intake Air Temp Sensor, which I don't.

Notice below it in the pic there is a small hole behind the MAF on the K&N box? That is where it should be.

So I ran my codes again today and got this little clip.

[video=youtube_share;8lHg_LKxcf4]http://youtu.be/8lHg_LKxcf4[/video]

P0113
P0712
P0113*
P0719*

It also picked up the misfire, and the Rear O2s as well.

But P0113, is the IAT sensor that I am missing. Which the IAT plays a factor in fuel/air ratios and also timing. So that is most likely the main culprit in the misfire. I will be getting one tomorrow and seeing how it goes after that.

As for the P0712, and P0719 codes, those have me stumped. As far as I know, we do not have a Trans Fluid Temp sensor on our 4L60e from stock do we? The P0712 code is saying that my TFT sensor is malfunctioning, but I can not find a definite fix or part to replace for that.

And for the P0719 code, I am unsure the fix for that as well. It says Torque Converter/Brake Switch. I have my ABS fuse pulled, and maybe that is throwing that code?

I erased all the codes today and drove it around. I will re run the codes tomorrow and see what shows up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
AirmanSkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #2
BigRanger907
Registered Member

BigRanger907 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need Help with Some OBDII Codes

skee is this a 98?

The Automatic Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor is part of the Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch (TFP Val. Position Sw.). The TFT Sensor is a resistor, or thermistor, which changes value based on temperature. The sensor has a negative-temperature coefficient. This means that as the temperature increases, the resistance decreases, and as the temperature decreases, the resistance increases. The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) supplies a 5 volt reference signal to the sensor on circuit 1227 and measures the voltage drop in the circuit. When the transmission fluid is cold, the sensor resistance is high and the VCM detects high signal voltage. As the fluid temperature warms to a normal operating temperature, the resistance becomes less and the signal voltage decreases. The VCM uses this information to control shift quality and torque converter clutch apply.

When the VCM detects a continuous short to ground in the TFT signal circuit or in the TFT Sensor, then DTC P0712 sets. DTC P0712 is a type D DTC.

p0719
The brake switch indicates brake pedal status to the Vehicle Control Module (VCM). The brake switch is a normally-closed switch that supplies battery voltage on circuit 420 to the VCM. Applying the brake pedal opens the switch, interrupting voltage to the VCM. When the brake pedal is released, the VCM receives a constant voltage signal. If the VCM receives a zero voltage signal at the brake switch input, and the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is engaged, the VCM de-energizes the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve (TCC Sol. Valve). The VCM disregards the brake switch input for TCC scheduling if there is a brake switch circuit fault (Refer to Diagnostic Aids).

my experience tells me your brake switch/brake light switch is bad.

When the VCM detects an open brake switch circuit (0 volts, low input) during accelerations, then DTC P0719 sets. DTC P0719 is a type D DTC.
BigRanger907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
BigRanger907
Registered Member

BigRanger907 has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Need Help with Some OBDII Codes

As far as the trans temp there could be corrosion or water in the wiring or you could have water in the electrical connector going into the trans. I don't have a wiring schematic handy.every electronically controlled transmission has a TFT. Most of the time it is in the pressure switch assembly. Not a sensor on its own. The only way to tell if it is wiring is to check it. If you throw parts at it there's a chance you might fix it but....... Anyways let me know if this helped
BigRanger907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

It is a 97. I know that it needs the IAT sensor in the K&N which I am picking up as we speak.

I just couldn't find anything about a TFT on it's own for my 4L60e, so figured I would ask more knowledgeable people
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Do your motor a favor and throw away that POS K&N.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

Yeah well, IAT installed, SES light went away.... for about 3 minutes lol Still having a misfire under load sometimes, and the IAT didn't really help anything that I can tell.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Rolling
Now you can have it.

Rolling is on a distinguished road

PM me an email address, I will send you the GM diag trouble code ID document, and the flow chart from GM if I can pull it up.

As far as misfire under load.... Any engine changes made recently? Tune up, fuel filter, intake gaskets, anything like this? What kind of spark plugs are you running?? Please for the love of God tell me you didn't put Bosch Platinum4s in it.....

I may know some folks that know some peeps that just might know a thing or two about Chebbys..

FZJ-80 Lexus on 35's....if you gotta ask whats a ZJ you can't afford it....
Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #8
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

**** can that k&n and run a dry filter if you must run a "cold air intake" lol. The oil will cause problems...
|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

I did plugs and wires last June about 6k miles ago. I believe I ran NGKs with matching wires. Definitely weren't the Bosch.

I was going to pull all those again and check them, to see what is happening and the condition of all those.

As far as the KN, it is what came on the truck and I just never changed it. Lol
Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

It does have a new fuel filter, and also Hedman headers and full new exhaust on it. But the new headers were stock replacement shorties retaining the EGR.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

The headers may have leaned it out just enough to make a weak plug misfire occasionally. Just a thought....

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

you hear any detonation or pre-ignition?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

It will backfire sometimes, yes.

Rolling, PM was sent to ya. Not sure if you got it or not.