Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Technical Articles

Technical Articles Extensive step by step articles, and threads of high technical reference value.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Allisaw
Registered Member

Allisaw has disabled reputation
Default Need transmission help

I believe I have the E4OD in my 94 f150 w/5.0.

Drove up to article valley the other week and got halfway up when the woman asked about the "hot smell". Looked at my aftermarket trans gauge (auto meter)and I'm pegged at 250. Let it cool down to 200 and drove it home with it around 220.

Drove to the airshow today from wasilla (first long distance drive since the arctic valley trip) and by the time I got to base I was up to 230. It's not a sudden rise in temperature but it's a normal rise but just doesn't level off and it keeps rising.
I have no other symptoms to indicate my trans is dying. Shifts great and still feels strong. Fluid is full and smells good and clean (for now)

Never had any problems before that drive up arctic valley. I don't think my trans is dying, just won't cool down. Any ideas? I'll plan on a fluid flow test here soon, and I've read on a plugged cooler. But what exactly could get plugged in the cooler? Thanks guys
Allisaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
DRussell
Registered Member

DRussell has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need transmission help

Is your engine getting hot?
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Are the lines to the cooler getting hot?

Bits of trash can restrict the cooler. Varnish, clutch parts, wear metal, rubber from seals.

If I remember right, some of the 4r100 setups have a bypass line that bridges the supply and return lines so if the cooler plugs it won't burn up the trans, but it would run hot with no cooler.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Any rubber hoses in the trans cooler circuit? They could be collapsing internally, debris as mentioned, could also be causing a blockage, trash on the trans filter would starve the trans fluid flow. If the trans cooler is in the engine radiator and the engine is overheating this will transfer to the transmission cooler also.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Allisaw
Registered Member

Allisaw has disabled reputation

Sorry forgot to put that engine temp is good, it's never overheated. I'll check the lines but I believe they are all steel. I have a spare radiator/cooler I might swap out to see what happens.
Allisaw is offline   Reply With Quote