Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Technical Articles

Technical Articles Extensive step by step articles, and threads of high technical reference value.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
crdude
Registered Member

crdude is on a distinguished road
Default Warn 8931 winchs

I have the opportunity to pick one of these up for next to nothing. It's missing the motor.

Before I start dumping money into this, I figured if ask if anyone had experience with these. Are they any good? Looks fairly similar to an 8274. How do they comparison a new 8k winch?

This is not the actual winch, just a picture of what it looks like.

Last edited by crdude; 10-02-2014 at 03:43 PM.
crdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
N3RD
Beep! Beep! Im a J33P!

N3RD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warn 8931 winchs

Isn't that a Belleview? I have one sitting somewhere that I bought a long time ago and I thought it was a 8274 at the time. They are operated by pull cables. I'd stay away from it if I where you. The only reason I would build one would be to out it on a older restoration vehicle.
N3RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
crdude
Registered Member

It is labeled warn, but I believe your right it probably is a belleview. I think it's basically the predecessor to the 8274? Not sure.

Yes the brake is cable operated, if you choose to use it. The winch itself would be controlled by a switch. The one I'm looking at getting was actually just a parts winch (due to the missing motor) that my step father has had laying around for ever. He has one identical to it on his truck and figured spare parts would be good to have around I guess. He no longer wheel's and has no use for the spare winch, so basically for the cost of a motor, some solenoids and a switch that could handle that amps it would pull id have a winch at a budget price. Of course that's assuming I can still find parts for it.

Last edited by crdude; 10-02-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
crdude
Registered Member

After ready this it's confirmed that you were correct, it is a belleview. So it's a warn belleview m8000. Lol have any plans for that ol' winch n3rd?

http://www.warn.com/blog/2013/04/10/...ew_winch.shtml

Worth fixing up, or keep looking? Something to keep in mind is my bumper is already setup to mount this style of winch.

Last edited by crdude; 10-02-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
DRussell
Registered Member

DRussell has disabled reputation

I had one for many years. Parts aren't impossible to find. Its a one way winch. It pulls in and free spools out. Thats it. 1 solenoid runs the whole thing. From my experience the brake wasn't really that important. If you let off the winch in button under load then you would grab the brake. It pulls harder than my 10,000 pounds pulls. It seems the more amps the battery can put out the harder it pulled. Un fortunately my motor also went bad after many years of abuse. You can buy one over the counter. Auto electric in anchorage was the only place that even new what i had. He could get me a new motor or rebuild the one i had no problem. The problem was the $$. New motor was about $400 shipped in from out of state and the parts to rebuild mine were even more $$. So mine went to parts and i bought a new winch. Awesome winch though. Hope that helps
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

so whats the lever in the front for, a hand brake or something?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
crdude
Registered Member

Yes, that is the brake. It's operated by a cable in the cab of the rig if you set it up.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

The winch you picture is an offshoot of a Bellevue/Warn 5687. I have three in the basement, motors are available but pricey ~ $300 . I have lots on info on them. I like 'em, but they are limited by parts availability. Get all the parts for the motor you can, there is a small internal brake in the out board end of the motor that keeps the motor from over speeding and throwing the windings. PM or call for more info.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 10-08-2014 at 08:13 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

In addition, the external brake can be converted to mechanical or hydraulic disc brake-(think motorcycle/snowmachine/go cart) Other motors can be fitted by using the original armature/shaft and a different stator, if it is good. The original armature type must be used due to the gear being built in. If you can get the original motor parts, even if they are bad, they can be used as cores, and/or save some time machining the motor brake parts if you don't get them. AFAIK there is no substitute for it. An 8274 motor will not work. I'll be converting at least one of my Belleview/Warns' to a disc brake in the coming winter months. It's about 43rd on my project list right now. I'm leaning toward a hydraulic disc brake from a motorcycle with the master cylinder mounted to the transmission shifter or a hand brake mounted between the seats. If you decide you don't want to mess with the winch, I would be interested in it. HTH, Good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 10-08-2014 at 08:11 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote